My success with ebuckets

Sioux City, IA

Last year, I did a few ebuckets. Two on my deck, and three in my garden. They all did very well, but the ones in the garden eventually succumbed to blight which is a big problem in my soil (the area is in a valley and is also prone to flooding). So this year, I expanded. I put down landscape fabric and did all my plants in ebuckets or a raised bed, with the exception of 1 spaghetti squash in the soil. The results are fabulous..I have harvested tons of cucumbers and a few tomatoes already. The fences are 6 feet tall, so as you can see, some of the plants are well over 6 feet. And they all have tons of tomatoes on them. I am so excited!!!! I have 14 tomato plants (Celebrity, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, Old German, Jet Star, Better Boy, and 4th of July), 6 peppers, and 5 cukes. I am trying to make a link of a "video tour" of my garden, if you're interested. Please excuse my poor video skills!

Sioux City, IA

For those who are waiting, I apologize. I cannot get the video to load. Still trying!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't think you can load the video to the site...just a link.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Milliden, you lost me. How did the landscape fabric help curb the blight in the ebuckets?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Jnette,
I'm supposing that she put the landscape fabric on the soil, which kept it from splashing up to the eBuckets. Then, she sat the eBuckets on top of the covered earth. Voila! No diseased soil splashing or floating into her non-contaminated potting mix in the eBuckets!

Way to go, Mllinden!

Hope you get the link to the video posted. Go to the video site, copy the address that's in the browser line. Then, come back here, and paste that link into a post. We'll be able to jump to the video from the link.

Linda

Sioux City, IA

OK...the only videos I could get to upload were from my phone. So the quality is terrible.

The landscape fabric was supposed to serve two purposes. The first is what Gymgirl said - to keep any splashback from the soil down. Second, I don't have to weed the garden much. I am lazy!

Here is the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xisWHBVYVes

Hope it works!

Michelle

Sioux City, IA

Here is number 2....my cell phone video is limited to 30 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jot5LBvlBI

Michelle

Sioux City, IA

And the third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSCWEgGuvU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Michelle

Sioux City, IA

Oh, those videos are terrible!

Jnette- last year, I had a few in buckets and many more in the soil. The soil tomatoes got blight very badly. The ones in buckets held out much longer but did eventually get blight also. I read that although blight is in the soil, the spores can be spread with the wind. ?? Don't know if that's true or not, but to be sure I didn't do any peppers or tomatoes in the soil this year. We will see. So far, so good...knock on wood!

Michelle

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Michelle, your plants are beautiful. And the only thing wrong with the videos was that I couldn't hear your voice all the time and they were too short. I was very interested in your watering system. But your plants are gorgeous.

Actually, my plants are very nice, big, and healthy too. Just don't have many tomatoes. A few marbles here and there. Are you fertilizing much? I haven't and finally broke down today and gave them some fish fertilizer. But, this is only the second time I have fertilized since I planted.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.