OT-Growing in my gardens

Mesilla Park, NM

Sunflowers Galore

This one came as a freebie from Lake Mary Gardens

I LOVE IT!!! look how dark it is, it was very difficult to get a photo, Thank you Karen05

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

#17 these have grown past the roof of my studio, I took this photo last week, and the flowers have opened already and grown about another 2 feet

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

long view of sunflowers and raised beds with veggies etc..

Thumbnail by Gourd
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Antoinette - I love your Sunflowers! They are so cheerful! I love that first one from Karen2005 and also this one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8706619

I received a large sunflower seed mix several years ago. I wonder how long the seeds will remain viable? I really need to grow them all out! I believe some are really neat like yours! Thanks for posting all those wonderful bloom photos!

I LOVE your raised beds! That's what I want! It's perfect! My future dream! You got such a great place for plants! You should show everyone your curvy outdoor walls! They are so cool!

Gautier, MS

I agree with Becky, Antoinette. Love your neat looking sunflowers!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you both for the nice words you always convey to me and to everyone else. Lots more work to do here, a couple of tons of gravel will be delivered in the next two weeks for the pathways between the raised beds and the driveways.

Here are two Chocolate Mimosa trees in 3.5 gallon pots, I'm not sure where they will go yet. I saw an Article by PalmBob and just loved his tree... They have been sitting here for about a week acclimating to our heat and sun.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Some of the arches that we have been building.. view from the studio, the arches are actually in the backdoor to the main house.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Antoinette - Thank you for posting those photos of the curved walls! I love them!!!! Your garden and patio areas are a work of art in themselves! Looking at the photos is like taking an exotic tour! Such fun! Keep up the great job you are doing creating such a fabulous place in the sun! It's totally wonderful! ♥

Mesilla Park, NM

All the colored tiles were hand made by imapigeon in California, and DG member here, they were placed spaced out on the saltillo floor of the courtyard..... what a lady and friend! She also made the ones above each Arch on both sides... we have the most talented members here on DG and lots of good people.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the new turtle area (and toads), they share the area ....

Thumbnail by Gourd

Oh that's so cool! Something special made to add to the novelty of your patio areas! That is so cool! Has she seen the photos yet? I am sure she is honored to have them displayed in your patio area! It all looks great! It's neat to see a southwestern garden area! I could get used to cactus and the desert! LOL! Your vision is inspiring! Truly!

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks Becky, lots of work, both manual labor and $$$$ to get this done... I don't know if I will ever be the same again..lol This photo say's it all.... time to quit for now, and put down the tools.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Toads???? You are raising toads, too? I love that Turtle area! Looks like a lovely home for all the turtles you are caring for and raising! They've got a good home at your house! :-) :-) :-)

I can't even imagine all the work that went into your home and garden/patio areas! It looks like a museum. A work of art inside and out! Love it all! You've created something very unique and beautiful! An oasis in the desert! Be proud! You did good!!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh yes, she was the first to see the photos and she gave me advice on what to do and what not to do.... here is a photo of the other side of the arches. on the cactus garden side.. it is difficult to take a complete view of the whole area, but you get the idea. There are a couple of painters that have asked me if they could come and paint the arches and the mountains behind them.... I am so happy about that, and I can paint along with them.. When you are sitting there at night, it is just beautiful and it feels like you are in another country altogether. There are four bougies blooming on the other side of the hidden courtyard now.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I keep throwing the toads over the fence because Harley likes to carry them around and they are poisionous, he has been to the vet a couple of times already, but, they come back, they soak in the Box turtles baths... they take turns.. at night they come out and get bugs under the lights... I can't get them to leave.

Here is a not so good photo of the hidden courtyard. I am hoping that someday we will be finished and we can relax and have a beer or iced tea or something while we sit and enjoy. So far, that has not happened EVER. There is always something to do. Today, everything got fertilized and I pulled weeds. Then the plumbers were here fixing some faucets. The bougies in these pots are now in full bloom, they sure love the heat here.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Can you see the Organ Mountains? You can see the handmade tiles in this photo. Thank you for the compliments Becky.. it means a lot to me that you acknowledge my posts.

Thumbnail by Gourd

A - Absolutely beautiful! A work of art in process! I love those little tile pieces! They really make it look uniquely and specially designed. They have special meaning too! Really nice!!!!

Bougies love the heat! They hate too much water. I had one last year and the cold killed it. I hope yours do well overwintering. You might want to heavily mulch them before the freezes hit. I think it will look wonderful when everything is done! I know you will spend the rest of your life adding things, but hopefully they will be small things not the major work that you've been doing since you moved there. One day ... you'll be able to kick back and enjoy it all! Soon, I hope! :-)

I love those entrance arches! That tile work really shows off the walls and entrances very nicely. I don't know how you even came up with the curvy wall design, but it looks fabulous! You've got an artistic talent and you seem to be using it to your fullest ability! I am loving what you have done to your home and yard! I enjoy seeing a totally different garden and climate! What a great perspective you have! Maybe I need your opinion and ideas on MY yard! LOL!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A, beautiful courtyard, I love it. Your plants are beautiful, love the bougies.
Unbelievable amount of work you have put into your home and gardens.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A, love the sunflowers too, esp # 12.13 and 16.

Gautier, MS

A. I agree with Becky and Jackie. You are creating a amazing coutyard with all your hard work. Really awesome!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you guys, I am on break right now, got some help here this week, we got 16 tons of gravel (one load) and will be busy this week, then take a week off and get more gravel...and so on.. got a couple of volunteer Hollyhocks.

Pink Hollyhocks

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

White Hollyhocks growing in the Sage plants, I've been pulling every volunteer out and just happened to let the pink and white one grow. Both are growing in between the sages and salvia plants.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.