Large Pine Cones

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Any crafty suggestions for Large Pine Cones from White Pines? Thank you for your ideas.

can spray paint em and put in a nice basket or a nice glass bowl with a small sting of the clear lights twined between the cones with some greenery. Some people even use them in their fireplace. At Christmas time, you can just paint the edges and add some glitter,secure the top with a string or ribbon and hang on tree. Can also make a pine cone wreath,with greenery,add some soft batting,a cardinal bird and you have a beautiful wreath and can spray evergreen scent or use the oil scents.

Almost forgot;or you can send to me.....heehee

This message was edited Monday, Oct 15th 7:24 PM

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow! CoCo, you're amazing. Do you lay awake at night and think these things? Thank you!! "T" :) By the way, you have mail! :)

Don't forget about using them as bird feeders. Spread with peanut butter,roll in birdseed and hang in tree.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a couple of hints and ideas for you.

If the pinecones aren't fully open, soak them (even overnight), and they will fill out.

It is a good idea to "bake" the pinecones at a low heat for a few minutes to kill any critters that live in it.

From experience, don't try to hot glue the pine cones to a wreath form, use wire instead.

For the fireplace that Coco mentioned: Many people cover the cones in parrifin wax (you can color it too), then they are functional as firestarters as well as decorative.

You can also string them together usine a large needle (it helps to drill the pinecones), twine, and other goodies (maybe dried apples, ect) to make garland.

f you have some of the long, narrow variety of pinecones, they make great angel ornaments. Turn them upside down,
and glue a little wooden ball to the flat part (for the head), glue two big silk rose leaves to the back for wings (or anything else you have that
looks like wings), let dry and spray paint the whole thing either silver or gold. Attach a string to the back for a hanger.

Have fun!!
Trish

Duh me. forgot about the angel one. I have one here that I have made,but I used a bigger pinecone so I have a fat angel.Forgot all about her. Guess I should put her out with the angel that I made from a small clay pot.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm gonna have to find a pine cone and make that angel to go with my cornhusk one

know what tig is going to be doing this winter. Got her thinking now.

Crossville, TN

I took two, attached each to a thin ribbon about 18" long. glued a SMALL crocheted doilie (Wal-mart) on top of cone (forgot to say run the ribbon through the little hole before gluing the doilie down)put some small flowers around the doilie, then tied the two together in a nice bow....leaving one ribbon longer than the other. I hung them on one of the pegs on my wall shelf. I do them to match the colors in my rooms... They can be made to look very Victorian. I use them all year...Sold a lot of them at a craft fair one year. Jo

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

You guys are awesome...and apparently I'm not very creative at all. If you guys want some pine cones send me an email and I'll see what I can do. I did bake them for about an hour to "melt" the sap off of them on foil. They were unbelieveably sticky...icky!! Thanks bunches!! "T"

Don't tempt me Sledder. If my DH where to see them,I could just hear him say,"just when are you going to have time to do all this you have now?"

Use pinecones to go along with some of your fall decorations, spray with hair spray and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Cut them in slices and you have great looking "flowers" to add to dried arangements. Spray with polyverthane to seal them and add luster.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Good idea, Zanymuse! (welcome back, btw)! I have lots of the larger pinecones, but not many of the smaller ones. Now, I'll have more filler for my potporii :)

Trish

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

My kids and I made firestarters one year for Christmas gifts - melted candle wax (we added red and green coloring, and pine and cinnamon scents to two separate batches of wax.)

Poured about an inch of wax into large muffin pans, then set the pinecones on top (you can adjust the amount of wax depending on the size of the pinecones).

When they're cooled, they'll pop right out of the pans, and they can be placed in a nice basket for presentation. You toss one in when you're starting a fire since the paraffin will burn quickly.

(You can also place candlewicking in the muffin pans first, which gives the user something to light when they're using the firestarters.)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the great ideas..
My neighbour has a couple of big white pines..
I'll be a gathering...after I have put my garden to bed..this weekend I hope..

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Starzz: The pine squirrels were beating me to my pine cones. Would you like some squirrels?? lol

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Well I better get cracking.."a gathering I will go"

I get a kick out of watching the squirels nipping off the cones..hear them dropping..and then climb down and take them up in the tree again
But for the offer of more squirrels..no thanks...
I have grey ones and red ones..oh and I think a big balck one..
Gota go to work today..but will get with it tomorrow.

how do you slice pinecones please?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Mummy..Slice in half with a serated knife. Might be easier to cut in half if they aren't opened yet. But use a serated knife...and be sure and wear gloves or your hands will be covered with sap. Happy Cutting!! "T" :)

i love pinecones and we have collected alot. our christmas decorations got lost when we moved so this year our tree got the homemade treatment and i think, in my biased mummy opinion...it never looked better....one thing i did was to sugar some cones to make them look like they had frost on them...did this with cranberries as well and it looked nice.
we had lots of fun making everything out of stuff we had and in the end it looked great plus was cheap....any more ideas folks as i have bags of different cones! wish i could share them....along with the chicken poops my yard if full of such natural delights...!hm........anyone want to send sase for a MYSTERY goodie bag from our yard....now theres a way i could clean up....the yard still has enough car parts to rival FORD!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I must admit...I had lots of fun making my pine cone ornaments. I simply painted the ends of them white, hot glued some baby's breath, red/green ribbon with a bell on each end, and a bow at the top. Oh, and a ribbon hanger. They took some time considering I probably made 50 or so of them. But it still was fun. I LOVE doing stuff like this. I just wish I had more time to do them. I think I'll pass on the mystery goodie bag....but thanks!!! LOL "T" :)

Midland, PA

As a recipient of one of Sledder's wonderful pine cones, I can only tell you how beautiful they were!!

Thank you Sledder!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

You're quite welcome!! My pleasure!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm with govols, I dip them in colored, scented wax and put them in a basket next to fireplace. They make great cheap fire starters and smell nice. It's also a great fall activity, heat up the pot outside and sit on a lawnchair just dipping away. I also like to add some dipped kindling. We have a log splitter and I love to get chips from the cherry and cedar and add to the pinecones!
candee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.