How hot is it?

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

110 at my place.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

104...when will it cool off?

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

109 here 45 mins. ago. Only 108 now.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Highest temp today was 108 in the shade. I agree, when will it cool off. Everytime I try to go outside I get sick to my stomach and dizzy, I guess Im getting older. : (

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

108 here today, keeping those plants from burning is getting harder and harder.

95 AT 11PM.

Arlington, TX

It is so hot that I can take a cool shower without turning on the hot water!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

It's so hot the birds have to use pot holders to pull the worms out of the ground.

108 Monday, 109 Tuesday, 110 Wednesday... I'm scared today ~ lol

Yesterdays forecast was for 109 it got to 110.
The forecast today is 109 again.
I am too old for this.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

It's so hot & dry here..
I saw two trees fighting over a dog.

=)

Arlington, TX

I think I prefer the jokes to the weather reports, those are just too depressing.

C

12:30 pm it is 104.
I am so tired of watering at daylight I want to kill something instead of letting the grasshoppers do it.

Here is the forecast for the rest of the day.

Through 7pm: Sunny with temperatures rising towards 108 to 112F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

If this continues I will be a dried up old coot for sure.

Arlington, TX

I turn on the flood light and water by the moon. Much better for me (except for skeeters) and the plants.
C

I don't have enough lights. I drag 100 yards of hose to reach in all directions. I have my stuff spread out all over. I have close to 100 shrubs, trees, new crapes and other things planted last fall and this spring that will *^#[email protected] I am a glutton.

106?????????

I could lay out in the sun and soon become a mummy. Anybody got any linen?

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 2:04 PM

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

It's amazing to hear that it is hotter everywhere else... West Texas is usually the hot spot.. it only got up to 102 today and I know yesterday was only 101. I was hotter everywhere else. Gee... guess I should feel lucky... except you all have had more rain than I have. It's a trade off. I'll take the rain... need it more. I know, someone will yell that you have not had rain.. I have only had 2/10 inch in the last 10 months and that came last week... it was WONDERFUL, just did not last long enough!

All the neighborhood birds have decided my little 120 gallon pond is the local watering hole, it is the busiest it has ever been.

110 again.

Our little pond is dropping quickly and is the local watering hole for the deer. I have never seen it like this.

The deer won't hold still for a photo but these tracks are mostly deer of all sizes with a few coons and possums and ? mixed in.

Thankful that we still have water in it...

wonderful to know that the critters are still able to find water. I hope the water supply holds out until the rain returns. Temp is supposed to be 103 today but so far it is a cool 98

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Topped 112 in my burg yesterday. At 10PM last night it was still 103. We have a "smart thermostat" from TXU. Agreed when they installed it for some outside control. For the last 3 days between 3pm and 7pm they turn off our compressor for 15 minutes and then back on for 30 minutes. Has not been a problem for us as we have the house closed up tight as a jug....all the shutters and blinds pulled. I hate it. Just came inside from laying a water hose dribbling under one of my trees. Advice from the Dallas Morning News. Texas has broken an all-time record for heat and drought.....and it's only early August. sheeesh

I feel a cold front coming in. It is only 106 today.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It is the same here Larry.

Arlington, TX

LOL @ Larry

Send it a bit south, please? 109 here!

106 here too. Please tell me it will cool off, I feel like a shut in. I have never experienced heat like this.

I feel a road trip coming on... 79 and raining in Ruidoso New Mexico! Can you see a caravan of vehicles heading to New Mexico to enjoy the weather?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

So hot here, I saw the Devil in line at the 7/11 buying an ICEE.

=)

Talihina, OK

It is so hot here I saw a coyote chasing a jack rabbit and they were both walking

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

So dry here the Baptists are pouring, the Episcopalians are sprinkling, and the Methodist are giving rain checks!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Walking! Hah!

Rain checks! Fabulous!

The only benefit I see from the heat tsunami is that I have not stepped in a fire ant mound and got bit up since it got hot. It is unusual that I can look across the pasture and not see any fire mounds.

Only the Shadow knows where they lurk.

They will return to the surface when it rains. Then I will have something different to crab about.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 10:26 AM

Arlington, TX

How odd, my yard is full of them this year. As a matter of fact, I have never had so many ants of every kind as this year. My feet are scarred from the multiple bites. Did they migrate all this way to my house!
C

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We are covered with Argentine ants. I,too, have lots of bites.

You have ants the on the surface because you water your lawns. I only water this years and last years plantings of shrubs and trees or any shrub that I like and It wilts.. When the surface gets dry the fire ants go deep for moister and cool. When the surface gets wets they return to the surface. I also water my foundation. ALOT.

Speaking of not watering here is a pic of my back yard. I have many more of these cracks, some even wider and deeper.

Wow, that crack looks like it from a Si Fi movie, I don't water my pastures either but I don't have cracks like that. I don't have fire ant bites on my feet because I hardly ever go outside, too hot.

This morning I saw that it is supposed to stay this way for at least the next week.

Arlington, TX

I really dont water the lawn but I have a lot of flower bed for them to enjoy.

107 today and ground cracks big enough to bury the weatherman in... HMMMmm.

No fireants here and we were discussing that today. They have gone deep but they will be baacckkk.

LouC, today I talked to one couple that had their clothing taken over by Argentine ants, both their closets and dressers.

I am counting my blessings ~ or at least trying hard.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from grits74571 :
It is so hot here I saw a coyote chasing a jack rabbit and they were both walking

ROFLMAO

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from rampbrat :
So dry here the Baptists are pouring, the Episcopalians are sprinkling, and the Methodist are giving rain checks!

RRROTFLMAO

Talihina, OK

A lite sprinkle here but not even enough to call a drizzle but it is cooler

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.