It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap - Page 3

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

Please don't tell anyone that morning glories are used to get high. Certain neighbors would trample my garden and rip mine off the trellis! I am already considering "neighbor nets" for the tomatoes. I am picking anything starting to turn red that seems to help. Tomatoes are so expensive in the store and the fresh ones are so tasty, I can sympathize - to a point. I hope they are inspired to grow their own tomatoes next year.

Hang in there Sandy. Try to calm down before quitting anything, especially the Avon! Why not try calling the disability or social security office to discuss your situation. Maybe there is help available that you haven't heard about?

It is still over 70% humidity here, but thankfully it is a bit cooler. I would gladly send some moisture to Texas for your plants.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

if I caught anyone in my yard to pick anything, I would have a fit!!!! especially since I have lost sooo many tomatoe plants this summer.
last year, this bed was full of tomatoes with morning glorys all over them..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

In the beginning of July Court offered to deadhead my flower beds. I asked him not to prune my snapdragons because they were 4'+ high with seed pods and was going to collect them!

a day or two later I came out front and looked at the bed. It looked strangely tidy. I walked up to it to find that someone had come in the night and cut off every single stalk and taken all of my seeds!!!

plants were butchered. Still green and blooming (snapdragons, in August - honest!) so they are sturdy mudders, but still! Wanted to choke someone. Thinking it was this old Asian woman who pushes a stroller around the neighborhood. I told Court - there ain't no baby in there! It's full of seed pods! I had seen her bending over my beds at the mailbox and touching the flowers. That was months/weeks before the theft. Anyway.

I was hoping to send each and every one of you some thousands of yellow skyrocket snapdragon seeds, but whoever took mine took 'em all. :(

The nerve.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Wow can't imagine anyone stealing flowers from a neighbor....wow, won't it be noticed when it is growing in their yard next year? The neighbor taking the tomatoes I would give them a tomatoe plant and maybe they will leave yours along, course stealing is easier than doing it yourself. Course I don't understand alot of things.

Athens, PA

Makes you wonder about people, doesn't it? I remember reading - I think it was in the rose forum, that somebody had an entire rose bush dug up and stolen from one evening to the next morning. I do think it is getting worse -

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

On one of the forums a few years back someone talked about a neighbor across the street from them stealing their plants and actually putting them in their front yard....THE NERVE of some people. Also someone had a huge potted burgundy oxalis on their porch was stolen. Someone chimed in people steal them trade a dealer for drugs and dealers sell them at the flea markets. I thought I had heard everything until I heard that.

I don't know why I would consider giving up so easy. My 56th birthday is Saturday. 6 yrs ago we had no car and no means to get one. My husband (late) was in the hospital and told our neighbor who was in their our situation. Without knowing it was my birthday called us to come over. They handed us the keys to this 1996 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Although I have not been the Christian for a while that I was at that time I am sure He still loves me and will provide in some way.

If you ladies who want or need some Avon will dmail me your email addresses I will put it into my website for you to get 10% off your next or first order. Remember over 30 dollars is free shipping. You can also try the FIRSTREP code and see if it still works for free shipping off of under $30 dollars.

My email addy is [email protected] for your future reference for anything. Just title your email or dmail as Avon Discount.

There is some great deals on Skin so Soft right now. I did cancel my co-op orders. There is always next time.

Did someone on here mention not being allowed to mail seeds out of the country recently? My son took some to the po for me yesterday headed to the Netherlands. They made him open it and said it was a federal offense to mail them. They told him it was something Obama had done. Remember no political talk. They did chime in with a reminder on the seeds trading thread as someone made a political remark. I just want to know where I read someone else had this problem recently and don't remember if I read it on DG or another gardening website. My son has his arms covered in large colorful tatoos and is always being treated different by shallow people. Or maybe this has something to do with all the new airline rules they keep coming up with. I never had this happen before and of course can't remember where I read someone else recently had this problem. If you need any seeds I recommend tuinkabouter from here on DG @ http://www.freewebs.com/belevenissen-van-een-tuinkabouter/ They are 25 cents Netherlands money which I think is under 40 cents US money. She has some really great seeds and so many different ones. I bought some New Zealand Castor Bean and Snail Vine and quite a few other seeds.
She is so sweet. I already have them. I was sending her some Mimosa, Coral Bean, and Christmas Senna seeds. But of course wasn't allowed to mail. Mmmmm wonder if I would get the same cell in Federal Prison as Martha Stewart had ......Fat chance I am not filthy rich.....Hope that isn't considered a political statement.

Ok enough about me and my life events lol

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sandy you are a hoot!! Doesn't take a genius to know we are in deep doo doo in this country. Sorry you couldn't mail your seeds.

You all are making me very glad that I life at the top of hill in the middle of nowhere. It would take a hardy soul to want to steal something out of the garden up here. Reminds me though I need to set up those shooting lessons I promised my Dad I would take. :))

neener ! LOL

Sandy, I will prolly miss your Birthday, so have a great one. I am with you on the state of the country's situation.
mCollege girl has some tatoos, she keeps them covered at her job, tho. I think they are pretty. Anyway, I just know you will be okay.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Ang. The BIG 3-0! lol

And Happy Birthday tomorrow, Sandy!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oy.

Sandy - when I was a fancy lawyer I gave away the car my 90+ year old aunt had given me. It was my first car - at 25 years old - living in Boston - I didn't WANT a car. It was a liability and got towed in the city more times than I can remember. Of course, it had a NC license plate on it and I do believe there was selective enforcement of certain parking restrictions. It was a 1986 Buick Century with only 50K on it in 1996. When I bought my first new car in 2002 I felt bad about trading the Buick because Aunt Inez always said it was the prettiest car she'd ever seen. So I let it sit in the driveway until I learned that the "security guard" in my building who I spoke with every night when leaving was walking to work because the family car had broken down.

The car had plenty of miles left on it but not for the highway you understand. But you'd think they won a million dollars. The car wouldn't start had to jump it in my driveway - trying to drive it over to Sears to get a new battery. He kept saying he didn't have the money for a new battery. I was so excited to have found a good soul to take Inez's car. The car stalled several times between the condo and Sears finally got it parked a a shopping center and drove the hell to Sears in my car to buy the battery to take back to the Buick.

I know people say what goes around comes around and I keep waiting for mine to come around. HA HA! But there are good Christians out there I think, though like Neener I tend to hide in the house and avoid the crazies.

Hard not to get pissed off when someone takes your stuff tho'. Hell - seed pods. Worth nothing, right? I adjusted my thinking to something akin to "imitation is the highest form of flattery" and they were/have been amazing to keep blooming thru the whole summer. I would gladly have given the seed, just wanted to keep a few thousand for myself and a dozen or so of my new closest personal friends here on DG. :D

Temp here dropped into the 60s overnight and feels near perfect at 74 out there right now. Going to get out in it and be thankful for my weeds and the beautiful day.

Passing on love and sloppy wet kisses from my dog.

A.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011 8:35 AM

Athens, PA

Sandy - Neener is right - you are a hoot! Don't ever change.

It is NOT illegal to send seeds out of the country and as far as your PO blaming it on the current administration, I would ask to see where that new law is written.

I export for a living. I have been doing it for 22 years. I went in and looked and there is an entire chapter on the harmonized classification system which used for every item that is to be sent out of this country. You can find that chapter here.... http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/schedules/b/2011/c12.pdf. If you think about it, we as a country send tons and tons of wheat to Russia and where ever else. That just doesn't make sense.

I hope your upcoming birthday is a joyous one - it is definitely your turn girl.

Amanda - your story reminds me of my brother in Boston - he kept getting parking tickets and just threw them away. Something about being young and foolish. Eventually they put the boot on this car and wouldn't take it off until the tickets were paid. That was another phone call home to Mom.......

As far as this country is concerned, I agree with all of you......

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess I should be glad that they only took a couple of tomatoes not the whole plant. I am guilty of taking seeds sometimes - typically from shopping centers or untended gardens. I would never take all of them, just a few. Sorry about your snapdragons. Sounds like the lady is a bit crazy (but aren't we all in one way or other).

I can't believe that summer is almost over, but glad to have more comfortable weather.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I think it depends on the PO. I found a thread from 2006 that seems to mention shipping seeds is illegal unless you have filled out a form - and it was a USDA enforcement, NOT the post office. Can't seem to find anything related to the PO enforcement.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=441964

It's hard to find anything else about stamped mail. All I could find were various websites dealing with shipping cannabis seed. LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Lots has to do with invasive plant list(s) in different states, insects, disease. There are laws that prevent the shipment of firewood from state to state and/or entrance into federal lands because it carries so much ookie.

I don't know how they would police lil' guys like us on DG.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday, Ang and Sandy ... and many more. ♥♥♥ ^_^

We now have a third stray kitty (I think I've lost what little of my mind I had left) and he is intent on destroying houseplants, so I have decided to cut way back on the plants inside and concentrate my efforts outside for now. I'll definitely let you know by the sign-up date, Sooze, if I'm in. Right now, it's like a Demolition Derby around here. :-D)))

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Athens, PA

Carole - he is so precious and looks so happy in your home!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Carolyn. He really is a sweetie with a great personality and very intelligent. Due to extreme overcrowding, they would have put him right down if I had taken him to the County Animal Shelter. I had to give him a chance. What can you do? I'm such a sucker for a sweet kitty face. :-D

Athens, PA

Carole

I am too. My daughter's friends used to joke that I would be the 'cat lady' - living by myself with 60 cats.....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

oh my gawd - he is so cute! I am almost . . .jealous. Always said the first 6 months with a kitten'll kill you. :D

Athens, PA

Quote from AmandaEsq :
Always said the first 6 months with a kitten'll kill you. :D

Or if one is behind on getting them spayed.....I never heard such noises. I remember thinking it would have been easier to just let her outside..... ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yah, I had forgotten what life with a kitten is like. Oy! This one is about 3 mo. old or so. Such energy. Wish I had half that much. :-o

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Carole I see the difficulties! What a cute l'il bundle of fluff. :)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Carole I can sympathize. Been through that recently as well. What a sweetie. Looks like my old tabby that I had to put down earlier this year.

I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but I don't want to lie. :))

Athens, PA

Definitely worth the trouble in my book!

[quote="Cville_Gardener"]Happy Birthday, Ang and Sandy ... and many more. ♥♥♥ ^_^

We Are Glad You Are Here!!

hehe.. well I treid.. tried even, gosh I M tired, now will quit while I am ahead..

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but I don't want to lie. :))

Neener I so totally understand not wanting to say this. Had my first battle without a car. Slept most of the day today and ask my son if he could take me to drop off an order. He said he was going to watch a preseason football game and of course had to add if I had gotten up sooner grrrrrr Nothing I can say when he gets his feathers ruffled will do any good. He is one that has to always be right. I hate when he gets his panties in a wad. Like his girlfriend I just blamed it on my illness. :P After all he has let her slide when she says and does anything.

My Avon customer is coming to my house tomorrow. 1 down and 1 to go. I may have to pay ship to their homes until I get a vehicle. I hate to ask for help and even more hate to not get the stuff to my customers. This is really going to put a damper on my Avon Business. :(

I looked on USPS shipping to the Netherlands. It says $44.75 for under a half lb. Can that truly be right?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow strike the stuff about my son....he just came to me and apologized.....I guess things do get easier...That is a great accomplishment..Now to have a vehicle....:) One thing at a time....

Thank for the birthday wishes....and thanks for saying I am a hoot....I don't ever plan on growing up lol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well Glory be. ;)

A.

Sandy, God answers prayers in many strange ways.. Gosh, it sure is an honor to meet you...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Froot: have you rooted any of the begonia cuttings I gave you? The angel wing/cane begonia has such beeeutiful foliage and grows rapidly, but it has only bloomed once for me. That was last spring (2010), and I bought it on a clearance rack the year before at the end of the season.

Maybe I need to feed it more ?

The dragon wing begonia has no problem blooming whatsoever.

I was also thinking of you today as I gave my purple ivy geranium a butch haircut. I'm going to see how many progeny can come of it. It spent much of this heat wave in full sun till about 2 p.m. Poor thing looked a little ragged.

I finally transferred my yellow double begonia to a clay pot. I think the plastic pots and the miracle grow soil/potting mix were holding too much water and causing it to yellow. I figured the clay would let it dry out more quickly and stop the yellowing. It continued to bloom beautifully despite the yellowing leaves.

Saw something very odd yesterday too - a single white flowering begonia (green leaved, the kind you get in a 6 pack in the spring at your favorite big box retail store) waiting to go in a bigger pot/more soil turned almost completely white - I mean the FOLIAGE! It was so pale I didn't know what to think. It apparently needed water, but I have never ever seen anything like it. It is back to beautiful green today. Ever see this happen? Very odd, I thought.

Your thoughts on the begonias are appreciated.

A.

sun fade? mine do that too.. the clorophly goes to the root system during extreme sun exposure.. ( someone told me that)

Mount Vernon, IL

For real? Someone stealing from your garden? Omg, I'd let the dogs loose, 1000lbs of dog would teach someone a lesson! Well its more like 800lbs but whose counting? I will have puppies for sale, close to thanksgiving, lol who ever thought we would need guard dogs for the garden!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Debra - looks fine today.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Gals! First things first.....I hope you had the Best B-Day ever, Sandy! You're such a big part of our group and we only wish you the best! I hope you got to do something fun today and didn't stress over not having wheels... yet...you'll get there. Sorry for being lax posting the past few days but have been busy cleaning out my kitchen top to bottom, including the chest freezer (ugh) on hot days, and have been taking advantage of our lower temps outside the past few planting a bit but mostly cleaning up the beds. I promised I wasn't going to collect seeds, but I have, so far some from Daylilies.

Last Spring, I found a Begonia with "Baby" in its name at one of our local greenhouses for $2. My Dad's beloved Boxer was named Baby and just had to have it. Wish I could say I'd rescued the plant and nursed it back to health, but I didn't. Although there were times before it was warm enough for it to be happy outside I thought it was a goner for sure.....pouty little thing.....but it's stretched out nicely and has the sweetest little White blooms with Yellow centers.

Manda, the only plant you gave me that didn't root was the "stick"...lol The Coleus have grown large enough to take cuttings. Do you want some back? And here's a pic today of the Begonia cuttings you gave me, firmly rooted and doing well. Fertilizer? I'm the World's worst remembering to do that. The Angel Wing I'd be happy to grow just for its foliage, and the Dragon Wing has been a non-stop bloomer, even before it actually rooted. Love 'em.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Athens, PA

Does anybody know how to carry over a Dragon wing begonia during the winter? I picked one up several months ago, because what we had in the outside planter was not doing well. The dragon wing has done so well that we are thinking about putting in another pot so we can have one on either side of the lower deck.

I'd appreciate any info. Do they root easily if I take cuttings?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Froot - nah - I split that pile of discarded plant pieces with you, and I think we each got some of every different kind. I love the coleus variety - so pretty and I have been pinching here and there to make new plants too.

No, I was just curious about the angel wing and why it has never flowered again but grows like gangbusters.

Yours look beautiful of course. :)

Thanks.

A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

They are very easy to root - yes.

I brought mine in in its HB and had it in front of a window with bright light. It bloomed all winter. In the spring you give it a haircut because it may get leggy and lose some leaves. OR you can take it into a cooler room like your basement and let it sort of go dormant, watering it only enough to keep the soil from drying out. That's how my neighbor does hers.

Others may have more specific instructions, but it's a very easy plant to keep and reproduce. :)

A.

Athens, PA

Amanda -

Thank you. I really appreciate the info.

Mount Vernon, IL

dragon wings are so pretty! I'm jealous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.