CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap - Page 3

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't be jealous! maybe when it gets a bit cooler I can pop some cuttings in the mail to you. My old girl is due for a fall haircut. :D

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have overwintered these two angel wing begonias for years. I just cut them back to take starts and are so easy to start. I have enclosed a great web site about rooting, altho it sounds more difficult than it is. When a piece breaks I stick it back in the pot and off it goes, but this web site has LOTS of info. http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm At least with angel wing begonias.

I have killed a many of begionas by overwatering, I think I have figured out if I ignore the wild bizarre kind like I do the angel wings things are getting much better.

The begonia on the right sides gets a tad more light than the left, so I switch them weekly to try to keep them blooming equally.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is a really cool silver one, wish I could find something silvery that is tall to put behind it. I got this one for a dollar from a nursery closing for the summer.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Here is one of my starts from the original angel wing.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Mount Vernon, IL

Those are all gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Aren't they? I don't think you need anything to go with your silver one, happ. What a cool bicycle planter. You want me to come out there and help you keep the ones on your porch rotated? lol

Manda, remember the pendulous ones in pots on my front porch that were suffering for the heat? They're the same ones you have, Neener. They're doing a lot better out back on our screened in porch that gets filtered Sun most of the day. Poor things were just about crispy critters trying to endure the brunt of late afternoon Sun.

Live and learn. One of these days my brown thumb is really going to turn green.

I can't tell you the number of times I key a response and then scroll thru the previous posts, then decide to look at a picture and lose all I have keyed in! Good grief, you would think I would learn.

I have read you can grow angel wing begonias in full sun, course this year the only thing I had that could make it with the awful temps we had was plumerias, nothing else could handle it. Fruity, I need all the help I can get, come on up or over which ever it is...rofl. You can help me get this program together I am going to do for the master gardeners....it should be pretty short and sweet, if it works continue to do it, if it doesn't change it....rofl.

DH thought I was nuts for giving a guy 2.00 for that old rusted trike at a car swap meet... ;) I found a planter with a flat side and stuck it on the trike, my DGD tries to ride the trike and it is rusted and missing some rubber on the tires... but she tries.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

happ, I know what you mean. There isn't much surviving out there any more...although my begonias love the morning sun. Some of my EEs apparently want MORE sun even though they get kinda crispy with the sun they get...silly plants.

My dragon wings haven't bloomed since before we left on vacation. I think they're still sulking. Should I fertilize them more?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

pretty begonias.. Ilike the silvry one.

I fertilize my angel wings or try to at least once a week since they are in small hanging pots. It would probably be better if I were to make a diluted batch of fertilizer with water and water at least every other time with it but I am way too lazy for that. I read somewhere when we see the big beautiful hanging pots blooming their heads off that is what they do. Water with diluted fertilizer every time. So much of the nutrients are washed away with watering all summer long.

Wish I knew the name of the silver begonia.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Been cleaning up the mess from last night's storm and I have cuttings sitting around everywhere. The more organized I try to get the more of a mess I end up with. ACK!., Took some begonia cuttings this morning along with some more coleus and scented geraniums. Just spent 1/2 hour trying to unentangle the tree hibiscus from the moonvine. I really overachieved with those babies this year. One in an 8 inch pot is quite sufficient. 3 is a jungle. It's kind of like Jack and The Beanstalk out there right now.

Oh well best get back to it. DH will be home before I know it and there are still 2 baskets of laundry to fold and a dishwasher that needs unloading. Oh yeah and there is a load of mulch on my truck yet to get off sometime before Wed. :0) Any takers for part time help up this way?? :0)

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I overwintered a regular cane begonia last year and plan to overwinter it and my dragon begonia this year. It was fine in filtered northern sunlight inside. I also am trying to root them -so far the rooting leaves haven't turned black, so I hope that they are happily making roots! The cane begonia was started from seed 2 years ago - slow growing, but pretty now.

happygarden, I think a dark purple plant like dark ornamental grass or dark basil would look nice with your silvery plant.

If your leaves are turning white or yellow, you could check the pH of your soil. My gardenia's leaves were turning yellow until I added sulfur to acidify the soil. I have a pH meter from a friend which comes in handy. They aren't that expensive - less expensive than some of the plants you could be saving with it.

The darn squirrel uprooted my agave again to plant a black walnut. I repotted it and brought it inside. Darn tree rats! I can't believe it is nearly time to start overwintering plants. Joys of a short season.

I have been working with a local rescue group to catch a skittish, abandoned cocker spaniel that has been running around here. No one had reported it missing, so the poor thing must have been abandoned. I had to move a bunch of plants around to make room for the trap. Earlier this evening I smelt skunk and thought "Oh No". I am grateful that the skunk isn't in the trap. I have enough laundry to do without being skunked.

oh dear GardenQ, I hope you find that cocker ...

I am predicitng an early winter, it seems like it will be an early and hard one this year..
let's hope not.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I think that the cocker is staying in the woods or a building undergoing fire reconstruction. He/she has been stopping by for a snack each night. However, the food wasn't touched last night. We have had thunderstorms the past few days, so perhaps that is the reason. I have a little food and water in the former location with more food and treats in the nearby trap. The lady from rescue recommended wet cat food, fast food hamburgers or raw meat as bait. Right now I just have the dry dog food and the treats that he/she has been already eating. Sometimes some food is left, but never the treats.

It is odd because Winston the pug not only cleans his bowl, but also cleans under and around it as well. However, he simply buries these particular treats. Maybe he is getting spoiled by his home made doggie peanut butter crunchies. Winston has multiple food allergies which limit his store bought treat options. Luckily, he and I both like baby carrots.

I hope that the cold weather waits a while longer so that I can get some more tomatoes! They have been very good this year.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a beauty Debra!! I'm falling for MG after a pretty purple and pink one popped up in my container.

ang, I have lots and lots of morning glory seeds if you ever want any let me know....

I would love some Debra! I had hoped to collect the seeds from the plants growing in my container so I can plant elsewhere but someone keeps breaking the branches off.

I'm happy to report the scale in the house has been narrowed down. Only one plant seems to have the pain-in-the-rear scale and only one Brom has the black-dot scale. Great news considering I have plant bucks to spend. I'll have plenty to offer in the SPRING swap, but unfortunately my Dad has requested I refrain from the FALL swap.

Mount Vernon, IL

Oooooo! My illustrious ee is going to bloom! As soon as it does I will try to get a picture, I'm so excited as its never bloomed before

GQ, a dark plant would be great with that silver, I will have to keep an eye out and see what I can find. I probably can't overwinter the whole basket, but if it turns out I would do it next year.

Alot of pressure having the master gardeners over, I know they all understand but still you always want it to look good.
We are finally getting rains and the weeds are going nuts. I weeded again tonight cut up some cardboard boxes laid it over bare spots and started mulching again.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Froots- don't forget to remove me from this swap.

I told Suz already that I have so many plants this year outside in pots that I will need to bring in I can't possibly accept any more!!!

Will be lurking though. :)

Love to all.

A.

Mount Vernon, IL

here it is the bloom is going to be yellow? it should look interesting considering the leaves are navy blue

Thumbnail by candles4u

that looks awsome!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

candles4u That is really cool. I would love to see the navy blue leaves.

I have a bit of news. A fellow DGer that I truly love has her Mom and Dad's (he recently passed away :() van for sale. I saw it parked in her driveway few months ago and told my son about it. I thought him and his girlfriend might buy it. But they are now history but looks like I may buy it. It is a 1991 Chevy G-10 Custom full size van. Only has 55,000 miles, New tires, a/c works, battery is 1 yr old. Her mom wants 2000 dollars for it. I have 1000 dollars saved and she said they would take 200 a month for 5 months. I love the idea and it was a 1 owner vehicle. But it is soooooo big.
Has 4 bucket seats and the back seat with a push of a button makes a queen size bed. Mmmmmm lots of room for a big thick tarp :) and many many many plants :)
I am really excited but can't go see it till next week as this is last week before school starts and my DS wants to hang out with the girls and this can wait. My son thinks I can get 1500 for my truck. I will list it on Craigslist for 1800 and settle for 1500. It is worth 3200 and only has 84,000 on it. If it works out I will have a vehicle and my money back in the bank. I never dreamed I would have a vehicle this fast.

Worked outside today in this heat but kept having to walk through the sprinklers to get around the yard. Moved the hoses many times but so far keeping most things alive. Killed 5 huge grasshoppers in the last 2 days. I hope they are just about gone. Some plants are really burnt from combination drought and 102 108 with heat index heat. I almost fry out there. Plants that usually don't suffer like my Amaryllis are having their leaves burn up. We are 19 inches behind on rainfall and today tied the record temperature. They think we will be setting record highs in the next week or so. I pulled some weeds, threw out some bone meal for my Crinums and other bulbs. I will give my Amaryllis some and water it in tomorrow. My ligustrums in front of the house were wilted. I have never seen that. Also a 9 ft Crepe Myrtle and a 20 ft one severely wilted. I have never witnesses such things before. We are not under water restrictions but Houston is under Stage 2 and about 40 miles away in League City they are under Stage 5. They have closed the City swimming pools because of the water situation. No watering lawns there at all.
It is sad to here all kinds of animals from squirrels to deer to birds and everyone in between abandoning their babies due to not enough food and water. little teeny pink newborn squirrels they had on the news. It is very sad conditions here in Texas. I am trying to keep what I have alive and unless there is a RU I still won't bring home many more as we have had 2 horrible cold winters than killed so many things. I seriously want to find a tiny white flowered hibiscus I had. It was 14 ft tall and beautiful till it stayed below freezing for a week. I lost 25+ Plumerias. I was too sick to do anything. I try not to think about the loss as it was devastating and still is. Took years to get all I had. I had 5 6ft Queen of the night Epi's. I could go on and on but I won't :( Time to file it away again.
Almost time for bed.
I really enjoy all of you immensely and love being a part of your lives:):):):)
Sweet Dream's my wonderful friends.

sounds like prayers may be answered, and still some to get answered, one way or another. Praying desprately for all of the people in draught conditions to get a break.

Athens, PA

I am praying too for all those in the droughts. The weather just seems to become more and more extreme.

Sandy - thrilled you will be getting a car so soon!

Things work out!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

It is really feeling like things are falling into place. I really hope it all falls together as good as it looks.

I am going to be missing in ACTION for a couple days. My DS, me,and my 2 DGDs are going to Galveston tomorrow and will be back Fri. We will have a lot of fun....Forgetting any stress of the upcoming custody hearing (Monday 22nd) I know my son is holding up with all of this but I know he is scared of the outcome. Please Pray for all of us.

Will miss you all but will have fun for all of us:)

prayers are for you and yours.. and have fun for us! :)

Thumbnail by joeswife

In spring I lost almost all my broms but one stuck around. It has been on it's death bed but after moving it the thing has come back. It even is putting out a pup ^_^

Wow Debra, you have a little bit of everything smooshed into that planter. Love it!

boss gave me the original planter, he didn't like it, I added some cuttings to it to root.. when I got it home and checked it out, it was flooded and covered with slugs and fungus gnats, ugh... so I cleaned it out and undid the pot plug.. it came from a florist, why were there slugs and gnats?
Anyway, my tropical partner buddy gal is gonna have a good time this swap.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Athens, PA

Quote from joeswife :
Anyway, my tropical partner buddy gal is gonna have a good time this swap.

Debra - your boxes are always a treat!

(original message sent to Susan via dmail)

See my Tilly Jungle. Found two giant Tilly's!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by tikipod
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Evening everyone! Call me a slacker for not keeping up, but know you're all in my thoughts every day. It's been so nice here the past few days and have been taking advantage of our lower humidity and cooler temps, highs in the 80's and low's in the 60's. I might be 1/2 way finished cleaning up the gardens and still have a bunch of plants yet to get in the ground.

Welcome back, Ang :)

Manda, a leaf on the Sago Palm shot up right after you gave it to me and am so happy to see new ones emerging.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Froot - We are so glad for you both! :)

Thank you for the good news.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I just got me a Sago palm about a month ago. It followed me home from Home Depot. :0)

Updated my wants and haves wishlist. Will have more for the swap, not just what is listed.

I'm just depressed with this weather. Hoping Sandy is having a good time away from home! We're breaking all kinds of heat records around these parts...looks like we're going to blow away the long-standing 100+ temps for the year. 1924 with a record 69 days. We're at 66 as of today with no end in sight. Every time they forecast the slightest possibility of rain, the storms literally shrivel whenever they get within 20 miles of Austin. Really sad. :( (We haven't had measurable rainfall since mid June - and that was the only shower all summer)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

We did have a great time. We ate seafood then spent Thursday evening on the beach then the hotel pool. Friday we hit the strand and spent 2 1/2 going store to store and their Mom wanted them by 1:00 but we still had a blast. It was really hot on the strand but want to go spend a day when it is cooler (or if it ever is cooler) We fed the birds and sea gulls 2 loaves of bread and some left overs from dinner and breakfast. It was a lot of fun.

I am really tired of this heat and watering every other day. We have had no measurable rain either in I don't know how long. It got really dark one day last week and thundered severely but no rain. I am lucky where I live in Mont Belvieu we haven't gotten any water restrictions (YET)

Got a headache today. Maybe need a nap.

It must be bad in Austin. They're finally enacting Stage 2 - watering once a week. (Still unlimited hand watering though)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.