My find continued

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

This is picture 5 from Loc. 2

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the last picture for Loc. 2

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the start of Loc. 3 and this is roughly 18 yards down stream from Loc. 2.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the last picture from Loc. 3.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Are you asking for an opinion of what it is?

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

No. Just wanted to show some pictures of Petrified wood comprised mostly of quartz crystal that is sparsely buried in a Limestone creek bed where I live. I have been collecting this for the last year and have some awesome pieces though they are heavy, extremely brittle and a pain to extract without getting mostly small pieces.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 6:28 PM

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I have even found a piece that looks exactly like the top portion of a fence slat! I accidentally broke it in half when I dropped it so it is in two pieces now but it makes one seriously question the process to calcify wood. Most of the pieces that have broke off the main trees are covered with calcium sulphate or some similar evaporative mineral which doesn't surprise me all that much. All this limestone chalk in my neck of the woods is comprised mostly of calcareous shell remains of microscopic marine organisms such as foraminifers or the calcareous remains from numerous types of marine algae. Great for setting up reef tanks as I use pieces of the chalk to balance the calcium ratio and our water is about as hard as you can find. Oh, and for fun you can make your own calcite crystals with our wonderful tap water.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2011 6:57 PM

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

If only this stuff was worth money I could go from nearly broke to Middle class over night!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images