Anybody Planting Fall Vegetables?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

That looks like slug damage, on the broccoli.I saw an artical somewhere, that caffine is a killer to slugs. That it kills them, when it enters them, and they crawl off, and die. I believe its worth a try, just wish I could remember where I red that. Mike

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, I don't but Farmerdill knows lots about peas. I'd ask him. I've only ever grown edible podded peas until this fall.

Mike, I'd agree with your slug assessment except that these slugs must be very particular about what they eat and they leave no fress or trail behind. They are not touching the cabbages, collards, or lettuces. They are randomly nibbling carrot greens and I'm even finding some carrots pulled up. What kind of slug does that? :>)

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I think "that slug", would be called a deer, or prehaps an eager rabbit, but the eating of the broccoli looks like insect. Don't trust my judgement, I beginning not to. Mike

There was definitely a deer afoot. SO found and fixed a break in the fence where a tree limb went down at the top of the hill. We realized the problem when the dogs started getting out. I'm assuming the deer took care of the peas. We ate the few peas we had standing in the garden last week. Then I saw a rabbit running out of the shed at the rear of the garden. That's probably the culprit. But, believe it or not, we've had turtle issues. Honest, I used to stick them in the garden for bug control when I ran across one until I realized they were eating the garden. I felt really stupid not recalling that I raised turtles as a kid and of course they love veggies!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan, I know you enjoyed those tomatoes!!! I have some Tiny tim tomatoes growing in my greenhouse. Which is all closed up tonight against this cold weather.
Bonnie sorry to hear about your tomatoes. But then again, you can grow 2 or 3 crops down there,,sigh.
Hi Mike
Laurel, tell me where you got those yellow collards. I planted a few Georgia collards. Love them!!
Can't wait to go to Florida next week and get some fresh stuff. Strawberries,,

Elaine

Elaine, the seed was given to me by a DG friend. From what I understand they are a regional specialty from the Carolinas (?) and are not available commercially. If I can keep mine from harm long enough to go to seed I intend to save seed for sure. I think at one time Farmerdill had suggested this variety when I asked about collard recommendations. Maybe he knows a source. He's the person who encouraged me to try some heading type varieties like Georgia Southern instead of the Vates that I had traditionally grown.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks Laurel. I am going to post a request for some seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.