I could use some help one these

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I have quite a nice collection of odd, neat, and mysterious rocks from all around the US. so the pics I post are what I need help in possibly Identifying.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Image 2

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Image 3

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

and the last one

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Really? No one can help me identify any of these?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Okay... #1 looks like a water-rounded chunk of granite with a large pink/orange quartz crystals and abundant mafic minerals (that is, dark minerals such as amphibole or pyroxene and maybe biotite).
#3 is a quartz pebble.
#4 looks like a worn fragment of a fine-grained metamorphic rock (guessing from the suggestion of foliation/layering) such as a very indurated slate.

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

i have to concur with altagardener, but im just learning... that yellow mineral is interesting.. any ideas on what that is? Cadmium impurities? http://www.minerals.net/Image/1/122/Smithsonite.aspx

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

You guys have no idea how happy I am. I hunt for different looking rocks and such in the chalky limestone creek just south of my house. I have seen stuff like this as well as huge chunks of clear quartz, siliconized wood fragments, and all kinds of not your normal colored rocks.

Is there any kind of semi usable book I can get so I don't keep bugging you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from leeannconner :
i have to concur with altagardener, but im just learning... that yellow mineral is interesting.. any ideas on what that is? Cadmium impurities? http://www.minerals.net/Image/1/122/Smithsonite.aspx

Arrghh, I'm tring to say this as nicely as possible, but relying on colour and comparison to photos on the internet and vague hopes is not the way to identify rocks! Trying to identify rocks from photos is fraught with error to begin with.
In the same way that the vast majority of rocks that one picks up are not meteorites or dinosaur fossils or coprolites (things that people always seem to want their finds to be), every rock is not some rare crystal specimen either. One should not even assume it's a mineral... the yellow pieces don't show crystal faces and appear clearly to be broken rock fragments. The yellow colouration is likely due to limonite staining, and overall, it looks like a conglomerate of quartz(?) pebbles in a calcareous(?), sandy(?) matrix.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I by no means think that anything I have ever picked up around here is worth more than a piece of sand. I just like to collect some that you simply don't find walking along the road and for me this means getting my feet wet and wading in not so clear water. The nicest pieces I have found look nearly as good as the quartz rocks I've seen at a local rock shop but mine have traces of wood remains layering all around the quartz. There again not implicating that I have found a gold mine but quartz itself has interesting collectabilitees associated with it. So since I have access to a creek less than a 2 minutes walk away I also have a nearly unlimited supply of neat looking petrified wood, quartz crystals, fossilized sea inverts and a muck of rocks!

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Perkoschilefarm,
I don't know if it is still in print, but I liked Guide to the Study of Rocks by L. E. Spock.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll check into that. Thanks

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

perkoschilefarm, i totally relate with your excitement. Mother Nature has all these beautiful rocks and minerals. I had no idea there were so many. I mean who would have imagined that there is something called limonite, or all these other wild names. I am like you... totally fascinated by them all and I want to know what they are and how they got there and i want to "touch in with the history" of the place... etc etc. Its fun and exciting!. and mostly altagardener was directing his/her last statement more towards me.. with regards to me thinking ive found rare and unusual and possible meteorites and dinosaur bones...:) Your creak sounds enchanting....
its so true...hard to identify rocks online....but with time, as you study the relationships of minerals you will have a good idea of what things are. What i am learning also is to do study on what has been historically mined or found in our county or state...... anyhow.. i dont think it has to be a rocket science.. just takes time..... if you have a passion you can learn alot...very quickly.

altagardener, yes, i did see that the yellow in perkoschilefarms rock was rounded indeed, but im thinking its due to erosion...it could have possibly had facets, and from what i read is that there is globular cadmium and the faceted one too...and i would suspect in other forms as well, like the metalic looking one. Im jam a bit curious about that mineral cause its so toxic and i want to stay far clear from it.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I am sure if I don't mind cold water I can locate a few more of these "Yellow" stones and send one to you for a personal approach. Yes I know the comment was not shot at me as I am a plant and tank guy not a rock one. I just did not want anyone to think I had something from a creek that I thought was valuable. I just have a few key spots where I can sift through some silt and find things like what I have pictured above. I seriously doubt that I will ever find anything in this area that is considered valuable on the market unless someone wanted to pay me for some limestone dug from my backyard. But if I can build a small show box and place all these neat little finds in it then I have accomplished a small wow factor for people that look down once and awhile and see something that they like. Now granted when I was in California I did find some things that probably would have been treasures these days but I was young and careless and only have some raw silver, copper ore, a garnet rough, and a small piece of emerald rough that was given to me. Oh and then my collection of petrified and calcified wood fragments.

I would love to get out sometime and really search for minerals in west and southwest TX as well as Arizona and Nevada but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Looking at Amazon for rock identification books, I found The Practical Geologist by Dougal Dixon. I don't know the book, but it looked like it might be the kind of thing that would help, and the paperback was about $11. So much of field identification of rocks has to do with where you are. If you know what is possible in that area, it eliminates a lot of stuff. For example, cadmium is very uncommon, I believe, so really only worth considering if you are in an area where it is known to occur. Local rock shops, if you live in an area that has them, often have printed flyers on what is available nearby.

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

thanks for the offer perkoschilefarm. What kind of things did you find in California? What part were you in? the South? In the north we have the rare platinum in a town called platina..i think it would be fun to find any Platinum group metals.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I mainly found ores along some tracks that my friends and I use to romp on around Upland and Rancho Cucamonga. At the time I merely used them as paper weights and they got tossed in the garbage some months later. Up near Virginia City,NV I did a little panning and actually found to tiny nuggets and then many years later during a move they got stolen. All my other neat trinkets from out west were purchased in different areas while living there. I really have nothing worth anything except some nice live rock brimming with corals and a massive Bubble anemone.

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

gold ores are pretty..... sometimes they look so good enough to eat... like honey and cinnamon... lol...i saw some interesting stuff from an olde miner in San diego one time. he was in a silver gold mine...and he told me about ghost gold... that is some fantastic stuff!.... it doesnt show up on assays and its probably because its in a whole new spin state... I heard about it again a few years later....it has fantastic properties of making things lighter.... as in levitation.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

A friend sent me this link long ago, and I look at it once or twice a year just to be in awe at the amazing (and very high end) specimens this company sells. It's best to have broadband, but their photographs put almost everyone else's to shame, really well done. I think everyone on this thread would probably enjoy admiring these gorgeous rocks!

http://www.exceptionalminerals.com/index.html

This message was edited Oct 30, 2011 5:40 PM

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

I used to collect fossils with a bunch of guys. I would pick up fossils, the new guys would pick up "leaverites". As the new guys got more knowledge in the hobby, they too started to pass up the "leaverites" and improve their collection. I suspect it's the same with rock and mineral collecting. After a while, although pretty, some specimens will be in the catagory of "leave her right there where you found her".

Corning, CA(Zone 8a)

...... these otherwise boring rocks look interesting huh? balanced there like that...each with a different texture and shape... each complimenting each other...great for meditation.. each rock has a journey... a birth, a life and a death?.... and each has a unique combination of minerals that make it special.... no rock is boring.... the earths natural beauty uncut by man.. so appealing to my eyes...! The value or beauty of all things....is found in the heart of the beholder.....

Thumbnail by leeannconner
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Very well said leeann and I couldn't agree more!

Lorena, TX

after over a year on DG...just found this! I love rocks...all rocks...have no idea what most are, other then the ones made into tools by the Indians in New Mexico. when we transferred to Tx 2yrs ago....I brought boxes and boxes of rocks with me.....LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I live in Las Vegas and was raised in a very small Nevada mining town. I love rocks and living in Nevada that is probably a good thing. I just look for what I like, not for value. As said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

True that!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

That yellow rock- we have chelated iron in with all the limestone and white rock caliche, doesn't Frisco have that black gumbo clay soil too?

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Parts of Frisco is Black clay as well as pockets of Black shale but my house lies in a strip of pure chalk limestone that extends from N eastward to S west for many miles.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I grew up in that area around there- just north a bit. From Durant, Ok to Bonham, Tx to Wichita Falls, Tx to Mckinney to Houston. You shall see my box of collectiesn next chance i find my little tin of rocks, chuckl,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images