Anyone have Mexican Turk's Cap Hibiscus plants?

Mesilla Park, NM

Please send me a dmail if you have one to spare/sell or trade. I've been looking for either the red or pink flowered , or seeds too. malvaviscus arboreus is the latin name I think.

Thank you for reading this and I hope someone out there has one.

Antoinette

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Malvaviscus drummondii 'Pam Puryear' (Perennial Turk's Cap) and also " Big Momma " (red) can be found at Plants Delight Nursery in NC. Your plants will be shipped healthy, packed well, and in appropriate time for your region. And you will get on the catalogue list and it is a great catalogue. They will keep sending it beyond a year or two -- even if you don't purchsse-- if you send chocolates or stamps!

I got both last wekend at the open house -only held a few weekends each season.
Pink in bloom and gorgeous. Dies back here - I hope it makes it. Someday I will have seeds and would be happy to share, but not much help for you now I am afraid.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Almost Eden also sells several varieties if you don't have any luck with someone sending you one. http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you both very much. I've purchased from Plants Delights a couple of times and you are so right, the plants are so healthy when they arrive. My Peppermint Stick Arundo is doing great. I'll check both companies out. I did see this plant two weekends ago in the landscape at an Art Gallery, I fell in love with it. The hummingbirds seem to love it also.

Thank you again.

Antoinette

Yes the hummingbirds were the reason I got my first Turks Cap. I think it got too wet before a snow and I lost it in the third year. I had a small cutting and the darn thing bloomed indoors!
The Pam P is the pink.

Mesilla Park, NM

Hey guys, I ordered from both places some neat plants, but, I've got to tell you that "Almost Eden" has one of the best packing that I have ever seen. They really outdid anyone else. I simply love them. I also got some nicely packed plants from Plant Delights. They are all doing fine, transplanted all of them last week and got more than I was going to, but isn't that the gardener's way of doing things? lol. I got some coral vines on sale 50% off and some abuitlon ..... you know that several of the plants had buds on them and are blooming now. I am in love with hibs/turks caps/abuitlon. I didn't know that the turks caps were not hibiscus. I hope I didn't post this on the wrong forum.

Thank you guys for recommending these sources. I've ordered a few more today.

A.

Gourd - you made me laugh. After reading your post I thought "oh gee, I didn't know turks cap was hibiscus" Now I got to rethink again!

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, I was thinking "Why can't I find these" then saw where they were malvaviscus and then I got really confused. I don't know a thing about hibiscus nor malvas, but I do know I like the fact that hummers are all over the place here. So, how do they fit in with hibs? I'm laughing as I write this because I know better and should go read the sticky thread AGAIN. lol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're in the same family as Hibiscus, so it seems like it's OK to talk about them here (although so are things like hollyhocks and they wouldn't really fit in this forum very well!)

Glad you got nice plants--I've always been really happy with the plants I've gotten from Almost Eden and they've got a lot of great plants.

Cave Creek, AZ

i just love Almost Eden!!! We wew lucky and got to visit them last fall a very costly mistake. They have so many beautiful odd plands. I've had my big mama turks cap now going on it's 3 year. It;s potted and I drag it in to the house so it doesnt die; I just love their plants they also have coral vine in red white and the common pink.
Mickey

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello Ms G. long time no talk.... rebuilding my Tropical Hibiscus collection
give me a holler

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.