It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Night blooming Cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum)

Daphne, AL(Zone 8b)

Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Night blooming Cereus
Epiphyllum oxypetalum

White, burst into bloom after a heavy rain.

Thumbnail by Meehlticket
Chesapeake, VA

My cereus has had an incredable journey! I recieved a clipping from a friend in 1998 in St. Croix VI. In 2000 I had it put on a ship and sent to P.R. where it grew and blossomed every full moon. In 2002 I had it put on another ship and sent to Virginia where it sat at a friends, unattended for 2 months. It was put in the back of a pick, uncovered, in early March and driving at 60 miles an hour for an hour to our new home. After having no water and frost bite I hung it in partial shade in the back yard and low and behold it slowly recovered. By Oct it was blooming again!
It grew so huge I was forced this spring to split it up. I was told to pinch the tips of the long sprouts off as they shot out of plant. It use to be very wild but since the pinching it has filled in tremendously. It had its first bloom this past full moon and is loaded with buds! Mine seems to love being ignored unless it's been a drought. I'll move it into my unheated Fl room at first frost for the winter and water lightly until spring. The easiest plant ever!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Although very beautiful, this flower is not an Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Misidentified.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images