weather at the barn #7

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH raked leaves, til it started to rain. Off to clean a stall

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223141/ we came from here.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 6:51 PM

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

hopeing the rain has stopped, not fun driving in it in the dark.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 6:50 PM

Richmond, TX

I didn't have to work this morning so I rode three horses - including the Appaloosa mare who doesn't steer. She did better today: quite good going left, not so great if required to turn right. We did manage to trot over some trot poles... Spent most of the afternoon replacing rusted hot wire on the west fenceline of one pasture. Felt like rain but didn't - in the 70s.

South Hamilton, MA

work is better after some play, although I realize training horses is work as well. Glad that she is getting the idea of steering.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

glad she's making progress. wish you had gotten the rain you need.

Richmond, TX

The forecast for rain just vanished - none expected this week after all! (?) In the 80s today.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad the mare is coming along. Did the other 2 ponies graduate?

It was near 60 earlier this morning. then it got overcast and cooled off. Had a bit of sprinkles but didn't amount to anything. Calling for rain through Wednesday then clear for TG day and after. That will fit our plans just fine.

Richmond, TX

One of the ponies has been adopted. The other is still here. He longes quite well and accepts saddle , bridle and side-reins, but he is really too small for me to ride, so he is waiting for another foster home in which there is a boy who will sit on him for the first time. They have another rescue pony now, so it will have to go to its new home to make space. We have quite an assembly line going!

South Hamilton, MA

How many animals were involved?

Richmond, TX

I have had six foster rescues so far; two of them have gone on to the other foster home before being adopted.Two were adopted directly from my farm and two are still here. The other foster also worked with one other pony that came directly from the rescue group. He has also been adopted. There are many more still at the rescue but they are doing remarkably well at getting homes for their ponies.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm glad they're finding homes.
rained this am, currently 48 and the rain seems to have stopped.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold with temps in the 40s and dreary.

Got to play with some horses yesterday and go riding around the block with my sister, nephew, neice and another girl. We didn't have time or enough horses to do a full ride so we just walked around the block.

My nephew got rolled on by a horse here awhile back and it scared him so we had to work with him yesterday to help him get over his fear. We finally put him up on Baby and the whole time we were on her he kept saying "I'm not riding". lol. Finally he admitted he was riding when we came up to the property. lol.

This here is Baby, the mare we all rode. I've ridden her a couple times and she is a great horse to ride. She doesn't like to be caught though. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Richmond, TX

Nothing is more frustrating than an uncatchable horse! I'm glad Baby decided to let you all ride.

South Hamilton, MA

After all, being caught means work. She's no dummy.

Richmond, TX

85 today - windy and humid. 20% chance of rain tomorrow; they had been saying 60% - oh well...

South Hamilton, MA

As long as the 20% falls in your area.☺

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

47 and raining. farrier comes today for Alice.

Temps in low 40s, drizzly all day.

Baby has never enjoyed being caught. lol. She does enjoy being ridden and getting out sometimes though. Other times she doesn't and will do a quick turn to head back to the barn. She's done that to me a couple times. I was warned so she didn't catch me off guard. lol.

The light colored colt here is Baby's I think. Unless my sis has it wrong and it's the dark one who's head you see. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Great news about the ponies. Sounds like they are winning this round.

Pep, glad you got to ride. I know you've been dying to. My new horse, Dixie, has not been handled kindly in the past and didn't want to be caught in the ring when she was turned out. I wanted her to know that being caught and handled was a lot better than being out on her own so DH and I each went into the ring with a riding whip. One on each end because the ring is large. We kept her moving by waving the whips. When she wanted to stop we didn't let her. After a bit we would stop and see if she would let us come up to her. When she didn't, we kept her moving again. We did that until she got very tired and decided coming to us was much better than all the "work" she was having to do. When she came to me and put her head down I knew we had won a big battle with her. I also give her carrots everyday and she looks for me and follows me now. I have not finished paying for her yet. She is on lay away. LOL Tug is on lay away too and as they give me money on him, I give it to my friend for Dixie. I will post some pics of her after she has a bath. She is dirty as a pig right now.

Today was nice here. Overcast and drizzle from time to time but it was warm. Warm goes a long way with me. :)

South Hamilton, MA

Interesting work with Dixie. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Richmond, TX

The Natural Horsemanship technique of catching a horse as you describe does not work well with some Thoroughbreds. I spent three hours trying to catch a young mare that way. Even after I stopped driving her and sat down on the ground, she kept trotting happily around me in a perfect circle. I ended up walking around the inside of her circle in the opposite direction spiraling gradually out until we were passing one another very closely. Finally I stopped and she did too. She never got reliably easy to catch.

We actually got some RAIN yesterday: about 3/4ths inch! That is the most we've had since the beginning of October, and before that nothing since February.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did not realize that was a "natural" technique. It is common sense. Maybe I am Parellish? LOL

Whst I absolutely hate is when you reach for a halter and the horse moves it's head just out of reach. It doesn't run but keeps moving just out of reach. I'd like to knock one's block off when they do that. But carrots help those critters. (I am not nearly as mean as I sound)

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

rain this am, currently stopped. temp is 40.

PP, I'm glad you got some rain. I know you need more, if I could redirect ours, I would.

Richmond, TX

Cajun I have a horse right now who does the "unreachable head" thing. I keep a neck strap on him but he is very smart and wants to be caught only on his terms. It takes a different trick to get him each time he's in an evasive mood.

I was delighted with my 3/4" of rain - until I found out a friend on the other side of the river got 2"! Things are amazingly green today, however, so any amount helps.

Glad you got some rain again porkpal!! Every little bit helps.

Cajun, I was like an addict going thru withdrawls. The longer I went without a ride the more desperate I got. LOL. It wasn't the kind of ride I wanted but it was better than not riding.

This gray beauty is a favorite of mine. I don't know his name and don't know how ridable he is, but he is so friendly and always wants a rub. Plus he has a great build. The paint behind him is Sassy and unfortunely she isn't broke to ride otherwise my sister and I would be fighting over her. lol. She comes running when we come and visit.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Richmond, TX

That grey is a handsome fellow! Are these your sister's horses?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

currently 41 and the sun is tying to peek out.
Happy Thanksgiving too all!

No, my family doesn't own any horses anymore. The property belongs to a friend of my family up there and the horses belong to different people. One guy owns 2 or 3 of them and he lets us ride his horses. Actually begs us too. lol. The grey belongs to someone we don't know and I've never met him. I'm thinking he is an Arabian but I'm not 100% sure. But he is super nice and will follow you around. lol

The 2 colts and Baby. The colts are just playing and Baby is trying to escape my sister who's head you can kinda see. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

52 and sunny. taking friends kids out to the barn to meet Alice. they are excited!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

58 and sunny. DD and roommate are riding Alice today. I think the plan was barrels. They head back to school tomorrow.

Cold, windy and rainy. Been this way aaaallllll day!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Pep, he looks very Arabian to me. Not that I am an expert on the breed. :) So glad you got to ride.

We had company for TG and it was so great. Had a great holiday with lots of good food. Then Knock, DD and I went to feed and went to the barn. DH met us there. We turned 4 mares out into the riding ring to work off a bit of steam before riding. It was so wet they threw mud everywhere. Turned out all 4 were in heat so there were a few skirmishes. Godiva kicked Firefly. I didn't see it and I didn't think it was bad by the description. But when I saddled her up she was limping so I got off and put her up. She is fine today. We did ride Ben and Godiva. Knock was so thrilled to get to ride his mare. He had not ridden her in 2 years. They took up right where they left off. I was so happy for him.

Our family left this morning and we have tried to keep ourselves busy so we wouldn't be too depressed. The kids and grandkids are all coming back for Christmas so we can look forward to that.

It stopped raining Wednesday and has been nice since. Today was the best. I think it is supposed to start raining again.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

50 and dropping, rainy too. heavier blanket goes on Alice later today.

Medina, OH

We've had it too good for too long. Rainy day with temps falling and snow promised before the morrow. I'm with you, J2-
definitely a blanket night.

Temps around 40 and sunny today. Now dropping back into the 20s tonight. Prediciting snow on Saturday night and Sunday. We'll see.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

rain/snow mix this am. temp is at 40, glad I put the blanket on last night.

Close to 50 for a high today and sunny. Only wore a lightweight fleece vest over a shirt. No jacket needed. Waiting for the temps to drop. lol

Richmond, TX

At those temperatures I would be freezing!

LOL. I freeze at night when we get down to the 20s. High 40s and sunny today. Tomorrow temps drop.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Didn't get out of the 40s today but it was not unpleasant. The sun was shining and there was no wind. I let the goats out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images