Atumn Containers onto Spring.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

CarrieL. The change from zone 6 to 8 will be quite dramatic. I understand drought is a real problem there in Tx. Containers gardening is proven to be even more challenging for they dry out alot faster versus planting in the ground. I do not have any practical advice. But recommend that you visit Texas gardening forum for more practical info? Here where I'm. Summer months watering these containers are quite demanding. If it wasn't for the irrigation system I would have to be out there twice a day to assure nothing is being burnt out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Carrie, have you thought about using Terrasorb in your containers? We get 90 degree heat here and these water holding crystals make it possible. I mix just a bit with water, allow it to expand and then place it around my plants as I pot them. I probably have 60 - 70 pots and they survive in extremely high heat with this method, cutting down my summer watering to every other day even at extreme temperatures.

The best thing is to have an irrigation system. I have one for my veggie garden. But the Terrasorb solution is inexpensive and effective. I last paid $14 for a small tub which has lasted me 5 years.

And please remember, a lot of tender perennials originate in South America and Africa, and can take very high temperatures.

Donna

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah, yes, Donna, I have an unfinished tub around here somewhere! I have to remember to bring it! I've been using spoonfuls of it all along, certainly not enough to run out!

Yes, Lily, unfortunately, I have signed a lease saying I won't ruin the lovely lawn. It's going to be containers or nothing.

My guess is I will end up with some combination of indoor plants and/or containers with succulents or cactus-type plant. Here in New England I don't water much except flower boxes....and I use big, deep containers with moisture crystals. (And I have very low expectations for things are gonna look by the end of the summer!) I tend to want instant results instead of slow and steady improvement, which I guess makes sense for containers instead of in-the-ground planting, We shall see. I'm mostly belly-aching because DH is there in the new, rented house and I'm here, in the old, mortgaged house with the old daughter. he he he.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wishing you a smooth transition there Carrie. One up side to gardening in the South is that the growing season is much longer compared to up North. Here is some large container planting in the shade;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

YES! My daughter and I were enjoying the last and first frost dates according to DG -- we have 60 extra days of frost-free gardening!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is my 'little' herb garden. Dills and Cillantro.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Asiatic lilium in container;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Football lilium' about to put on a show.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Great container shots Lily, the lilies are pretty pink. I have dill growing and other herbs but cilantro just gets eaten up by something and I gave up a few years ago and just buy it now...pretty cheap at the grocery store.

Here is a container my kids gave me for Mother's day, it is so heavy you need two hands. They said they got it at Sam's wholesale for under $25...amazing when you see how heavy it is...and I love turtles.

The second photo is a shot of my containers all hanging and under the shade of a very large crepe myrtle tree

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sherri, love that container the kids gave you. That nook in the garden look very cozy, enjoy the birdhouse too. I'll post some more of that lily later, for now. I've ornamental Pomagranites coming! Wooohoooo!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am truly enjoying the show.

And what lovely children!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna, Sherri, have you any passionflowers in bloom yet? I'm looking forward to seeing some in blooms. Our native 'Maypop' just took off down here. No blooms until August or later.

The miniature pomagranite fruiting habit really is a joy for me to watch. This one small tree is loaded with flowers and fruits being formed.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooops, pardon. Didn't see that the above pic. is quite blurry. Here is another take;

I've mentioned of the above 'Football lily' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2440/
My little basket of liliums is unfurling reveals its beauty;

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Other mixed container planting;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, my goodness. Such beauty!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos. I've had the 'Football lily' for several years. A wonderful gift from a DG friend who lives in Tenn. I've yet seen berries formed on these blooms for years. We've lot of bumble bees in the area. I noticed a hummingbird nectaring the fuzzy ball early this morning. I wished some of the flying jewels will pollinate the flowers for me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Sis!!! I see you have been busy as usual!!! When are you and Jim coming to Baton Rouge? I've missed you!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Sis. Jim and I just took a lunch break from the garden. ^_^ Jim said "we need to make a trip ..." I'm all for that any time. How are you and family?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We're doing good!!! Glad to hear Yall are doing the same. Here is a shot of 5 of the grands for Mother's day. Chris is missing b/c he didn't make it until late. They are growing like weeds.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How blessed you're! What's a beautiful family. Ashley is so grown up! Thanks sis for the photo.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh BTW, meet "Larry II" This is the only way we can afford a peacock. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! Larry lives up the road now. He attacked me and then pooped all over my cousins cabinet shop wood and Charles re-located him. Bad bird!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeri, sorry Larry behaved badly. I bet you missed him for what the memory he's left. Keep in touch. We need to visit soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A shady container planting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

love that blue

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is more of shade of blue for you Jo Ann. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a shot of the fountain. It was my biggest casualty last winter b/c I covered the entire fountain with frost cloth and then we had no winter. My plants fried under the cover completely so I re-potted it and love it myself.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

jeri11 that is a beautiful planting.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks ge!!! I'll have to get a shot of the hibiscus in bloom in the bottom level. You can't see them in these shots very well. It really gives a pop to the arrangement. My DD insisted that I needed this fountain and DH said no more things that require electric or water so this is my solution to that problem. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeri, winter in our southern climate is very unusual, and inpredictable. Your fountain planting after being revived/repotted turned out real well. The beauty in your enchanting garden doesn't show through a pic. or two. One has got to be in it to fully appreciate the beauty of your garden. Is the Kois pond still doing well?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The pond is doing good this year. I'm having a terrible time this year with snakes. I have at least 4 feasting on my babies!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, here we have to deal with Racoons. Last year Racoons fished out most of our goldfish. Luckily, their offsprings are making a come back. Here I've other container gardening;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ahh! I finally gave in to a drift rose. It's low growing and I thought it's attractive in one of those cobalt blue container. More pix later.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lily love the containers look great.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I agree Kim what is that blue flower in the 1st picture you posted yesterday. Very pretty!!!

This is a succulent planter that was left over after I started to make a living wreath. The succulents were so fragile in handling them I had leaves fall off so I threw them into a pot of sand and they all grew so I repotted some to this pot.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a shot of the wreath. It is rooting into the coir and I can't move it for 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jo Ann. Jeri, those succulents wreath looks like a fun filled project. Can't wait to see the progression of it. Oh the Blue Flower is a variety of the blue Sky Vine (Bengal Clock vine). Only this one's growth habit is like a semi-shrub like, and its color is a tad deeper blue.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I really like it!!! It looks great in your container!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeri, thanks. How about your plumerias? Has any put out inflos. yet? I've a few, here's one of them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.