Atumn Containers onto Spring.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The familiar Thunbergia grandiflora, I've lost the old vines on the sideyard arbor. I tried to replace 'em. but the area is getting shadier thus the vines aren't doing so well. So this year, I resorted back to having a hanging basket that hung on this arbor out back.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

No not yet. I think I'll fertilize them today. I haven't even moved a lot of my smaller plumerias out of the GH. Your's are looking good!!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That one looks a little lighter than your old one. I like it though!!! I spend the day cutting things back. Everything is already so overgrown. I have bushels of things for the compost pile.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Speaking of over grown plants. This Clerodrendon bungie has litterally over takes my small corner of the garden. lol I'm waiting for the blooms to subside before I give 'em a severe 'haircut' right down to the ground. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo, the 'Football Lily' appears to be putting out berries!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hope that is seeds Sis!!! LOL!!! I still can't grow those gloriosa lily. Are you still growing them?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The gloriosa lily has declined somewhat. I need to get some more tubers. I think I didn't give them enough sun this spring to do well. I sure hope those are seedpods. Have no idea how big they gonna get.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

The First Thing we bought in Texas, before TP or milk or anything boring, was a cobalt blue pot!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome to Texas your new home, CarrieL. Hope everything is working out well there like that cobalt blue pot. ~grin.

I love these abundant blooms of 'Million Bells'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lotus in container.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my goodness, that lotus is gorgeous!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna. The flower opens during the day, closes off at night.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a lovely thing! I love the way you photographed it with the droplets of water.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Once again, the sun came out of the cloud, the flower opens up. The 2nd flower joined in. 2nd pix; other container flowers in bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lily, your photos are stunning! We went to Lowe's (here in TX) and bought some plants to nurse back to health, lol.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you carrie. Hope you'll have pics. to share soon.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A long awaited FOS (first of season) bloom of 'Miss Emily Mckenzie' brugmansia. The bloom must be at least a foot long from tip to tip.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, your brugs! So beautiful!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a shot of my burgs. They are in the ground.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Donna, Brugs blossoms are beautiful in general. But this cultivar is outstanding. The bud started out light green, then turns slightly creamy white, then light pink, THEN mature into this gorgous shade of pink ... over night. Above pics. were taken right after sunset yesterday. This is what M.E.M is like this morning.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Sis, those in the ground brugs yield abundant blooms! For some reason most of mine (in ground brugs.) didn't survive this past winter, one of my neighbor's shared the same fate eventhough the winter was very mild compared to years past.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Been busy and away for awhile.

Lily my passifloras are slow to flower, one red Crimson is flowering well, but my Lady Margaret only a few, the vine being eaten by the cats faster than it can grow...maybe now that the rains are here it can catch up.

Jeri love that succulent wreath idea...where did you get that at? You fountain is just beautiful...I sure would love to visit your garden.

I don't think I ever posted this here, a succulent garden I made out of an old free standing fire pit we no longer use. This was in April. It has grown quite a bit and I was worried heavy rains might do some of the plants in. Only the sedum spurium seems to be be dying out from soggy soil. I'll take and post updated photos real soon.

The other is a small succulent garden from babies out of my larger plants, this was when I first started it back in April.

The second photos of each were taken mid May a month later.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh those brugs are so beautiful...my babies my father gave me are so small, I'm sure they won't be blooming this year. They are getting lots of little green caterpillars eating holes in the leaves also. Do you have that problem?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sherri, I've one brug that's being affected by those little unknown caterpillars. The rest are fine though. My native passi is growing, I wished to see more of the Gulf Frits. cats. But so far none here yet.

Oh well come home from a nice vacation from South Fla. I visited Ft. Myers once and have been longing to return ... Back to gardening, I too have a few succulents, those look great. And I noticed the beautiful turtle. ^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely pots ,great composition in greens.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I have started to use frost cloth with very good results. The garden looks like a ghost reunion during the winter but come March 15 when I take the cloth off to have plants that are ready to bloom is worth the ghost reunion during the winter when I don't stay out there much anyway.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hahaha, a ghost reunion. Class of 1812 or something? Def. looks like it's worth the ghosts--the containers are beautiful.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The key word is Patience, patience! and a little planning ahead with those tender perennials in our zones. Thanks Jeri for the tips.

This one 'tree rose' is one that was on sale from the big box store last Fall. It was a near discarded item that was sold for $2.99. A fraction for what the original price was. So ... Carrie, keep us posted on how your 'rescued' will turn out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

How lovely, Lily! Mine will (I hope) just look alive when I'm done rescuing them. The most important part of the rescue was to dump out the extra water that had accumulated in the hole-less planter. I did that in the store aisle! Once I established that the poor things were drowning, I believed a mini-rescue was within my limited power.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Best wishes to your effort Carrie. The plumeria's inflo. today.

New thread ====> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264977/

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 7:40 PM

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Lily_love :
Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.

Sorry Lily_love - I missed your question - I think when I first commented to you it was February - we had summer - now it is August and we are heading into spring and not before time. We don't get snow in Brookfield - but believe me when the cold wind blows off the mountains and up from Bas Strait - you might as well have snow - pretty cold! Particularly since I have lived in Qld for the past 12 years and only recently moved back home to Victoria - not acclimatised at all now - and being a real "sook" about it! LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy Spring time to you. It's now the beginning of Autumn, our weather is getting cooler from the hot summer months. Autumn time is pleasant here, it comes at a cost, however. Turbulent weathers. Hoping for the best. biddy52, please come and join us on the new thread I've posted above.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from carrielamont :
Ah, yes, Donna, I have an unfinished tub around here somewhere! I have to remember to bring it! I've been using spoonfuls of it all along, certainly not enough to run out!

Yes, Lily, unfortunately, I have signed a lease saying I won't ruin the lovely lawn. It's going to be containers or nothing.

My guess is I will end up with some combination of indoor plants and/or containers with succulents or cactus-type plant. Here in New England I don't water much except flower boxes....and I use big, deep containers with moisture crystals. (And I have very low expectations for things are gonna look by the end of the summer!) I tend to want instant results instead of slow and steady improvement, which I guess makes sense for containers instead of in-the-ground planting, We shall see. I'm mostly belly-aching because DH is there in the new, rented house and I'm here, in the old, mortgaged house with the old daughter. he he he.

Good luck with your pots. We moved from Qld to Victoria just on a year ago. I am a Melbourne girl, so knew what to expect. I am renting too - and all my plants are in pots - although we have put in a vegie garden in the back yard - only have to replace area with tan bark when we finally move. Vic gets pretty hot in the summer - we have survived one already - Just about everything grows in pots - I had tulips, daffodils, and various other bulbs for the first time this year. I have a beautiful Hippeastrum (Amarylis?) is in bloom now - also, geraniums, impatiens, succulents, the list is endless! I miss my tropical plants from Qld - only because they were too big to bring with me. I am sure you have the timber vegie containers - you could dismantle and take with you when you move? All my herbs are in pots and strawberries. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images