Starting Feb, post your sowing, planting and results here

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

OK, I think I get it. Their primary purpose of the plants need to be considered for the type of day it is for planting.

How are your cuttings coming along?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Elderberries are doing great, about 80% have rooted. Not good with some of the others, but I read it can take 3 months...

Yesterday, May 11th, I planted out some tomato seedlings that I had raised along with seeds of corn and bush beans.

Today, March 12th I will put out some beet seedlings that are in the basement. I have been bringing them outside for hardening off. They will go in the square foot garden that is now housing the cool-season veggies as I have put row cover over them to protect them from the heat of the sun.

I think I will look and some of the potato seedlings and see if I can separate them...not sure if I will plant them out until later, but maybe put them into cell-packs or gallon cans.

Cool beans, Evelyn!

Yesterday I transplanted 23 elderberry cuttings I rooted into "tall tree pots" so they can grow more roots before planting out, maybe another month. That means 27 (total) out of around 35 rooted and did quite well. I still have 6 that are iffy... leafing out but no sign of roots! I won't plant all those in my yard, hope to sell or trade about half... I've already given 4 to friends.

Still to early here for tomatoes; I haven't even started seeds. But the summer squash are in the ground, and the winter squash are growing nicely in their cells.

So far, at least 95% of my seed starting and/or transplanting is by Maria Thun's biodynamic calendar. I'm expecting to get some earth-moving equipment in here soon, so not a lot will happen until that is finished. I'll try to do an update soon!

Oh, and I also put seeds in for 2 kinds of haricot vert. (skinny french beans) Today, I did nothing except weed and water. tomorrow is another day. (There are still plenty of weeds to go around...everything!) LOL!!

Way to go, Darius. I wouldn't mind trading something for one or two of your elderberries. I hope that I have something that you want.

Evelyn, they need another couple of weeks for better root growth. I'm mainly interested this year in perennial fruiting shrubs/trees/vines for zone 5-6, or insectaries... although I have quite a few started. We'll talk...

Update on my fruit cuttings: I took elderberry cuttings in early Feb. on a fruit day, moon in Saggitarius. So far my success rate has been very high, considering I really didn't know what I was doing! A few days ago I transplanted 27 to treepots (tall and skinny pots) to develop better roots. I have another 6 that developed top growth but NO roots, and 2 more that developed roots but no top growth.

I've already traded 4 away, will plant about a dozen in my yard in a few weeks, and sell or trade the others.

Thumbnail by darius
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been asked a while ago to post my results of growing by Maria Thun calendar, so here what did happen in May 2012:

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I really think Maria Thun's calendar is working

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have followed Maria Thun's calendar for 3 years now and I have no problems with pests, disease or plants not growing right ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

well... I actually I have a problem : I NEED A BIGGER FREEZER !!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, these are still harvests in May

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

So what do you think: do you agree with me that Maria Thun's planting calendar is a good one?
I think it works really good for me here in Dallas.

Happy gardening

I'd say the Calendar did good by you! I just hope my results do as well...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Now I am waiting to see the results of people using the other calendars.
Anybody is yet posting any pictures.

OK, It looks like that there are only 3 or 4 of us here. My tomatoes are still green, since I planted them so late, but they really have loads of tomatoes on them. Of couse, our weather was warmer (hotter!) this year as well. No eggplants or peers yet. The beans have been doing well, except for where the gophers got them.

The corn cobs are not filling out well yet, but I still have hope on that.

I have planted all of my gardens according to the bio-dynamic calendar.

Evelyn, I need to look at my notes and post a better update. Summer weather (lack of rain and HOT temps) have taken a toll on my garden, although the lemon squash have been outstanding, esp. for resistance to bugs. The Romanesco zucchini did great, but far too short before succumbing to bugs.

I didn't plant many tomatoes, maybe 3-4 plants, mainly because the brown marmorated stink bugs have ruined the harvest for the last 2 years. However, I do see a few tomatoes starting on the few I did plant. Winter squash are doing okay but not great; the factors affecting them are lack of rain, and that they are planted on a hugelkultur berm that's new, not enough topsoil on it, and doesn't hold water yet.

On the other hand, I could feed a couple of families with my Swiss chard growing in afternoon shade.

My garden is weed-choked, which doesn't help. I've been ill and haven't had the energy to tend it properly. The harvest of garlic, shallots and onions was good, but those were planted either last fall and early spring before drought conditions set in.

Gosh, Darius!

I am sorry about your poor health. I hope that you are better by now. I, also, have been having some health problems. Right now, of course, is the extreme heat for an extended time. It rarely gets into the 90's and it has been in the 90's for about a week now. I water the best that I can, but is it enough for the corn? The ears are not filling out well. I dusted some pollen on them, but it may not be enough. This is my first year growing so many veggies all at once.

The strawberries did great, the blueberries were a disaster! The leaves were chewed as well as the berries. Next year I will get some tulle to cover as they looked great when covered by the clover. As soon as I removed the weeds, the bugs took over. I guess it was earwigs, as there are quite a few. I had better mix up some neem oil, as they were in the corn as well, though I did not see any damage yet. Have you ever trapped earwigs? Under a lid or wet newspaper? I will have to go all out to protect what is left.

I even planted my leftover tomato seedlings...in all parts of the gardens and in pots, and of course, in the Square Foot Gardens. The best were actually in large plastic pots. They are getting huge, and loaded with fruit.

The zucchini is still going strong, with just 2 plants. I am glad that I did not plant more. Some cantaloupe self-seeded and I pulled almost all of them but two, as they were "compost" seedlings. I am surprised to see them, but they may be awful since they are probably from a hybriid....still if they are good, I will save their seed and take my chances. Just the fact theat they wintered over and started early. We did have a very mild winter this year.

Well, Darius, please take care and feel better.

Evelyn

I kinda know what earwigs are, but don't see them much in my garden. I understand if we can get the brix in our plants high enough, pests are never a problem. I've been working in that direction for 4 years but still fall short of getting the soil amended properly. I may have to order an expensive soil test from AgLabs.

Yeah, I do not see them in the garden unless they are hiding in the cornstalks or under a rock.

Do you have any Neem oil? It is supposed to be good for everything. Mine is still sitting in its container.

My zucchini has outgrown the bug-eaten leaves and is producing well. There were a few with BER, but I just cut them and put them in the compost pile, though ate the good parts.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

evelyn good to see you in the garden. And yes the lack of water affect corn and any or most vegetables ....

I'm glad you are better, the same goes for darius.

Neem oil is quite good to spray also if you put a dash of oil, cooking oil in a lt. (quart) of water and give it a big shake before spraying down the silk in your corn will deter the earwig and the corn borer. 2 or 3 tsp of oil will be enough.

Has anyone made any comparisons with the various calendars, or even with and without the calendars?

The only one I made was on stocks. I sowed some on a leaf day and others on a flower day. It did not seem to be much different, as they were both quite small and neither performed up to their expectations. Most everything else I have waited to plant or sow according to the biodynamic calendar.

So far the only really good result was with the zucchini...but that one I could have probably sown 6 different seeds and they might have all wanted to "take over the garden"....

I have not done so well with the corn, as the ears have not filled out well. That migh have been the seeds that were given to me...not sure....

Some tomatoes did great, and others not so good...that might have been due to various light exposures, as none were in sun all day, but most were in most all day...

Now I have sown some peas and lettuce. Anyone else start any fall sowing??

[quote="cristina"]evelyn good to see you in the garden. And yes the lack of water affect corn and any or most vegetables ....

quote]

My grandson-in-law may be installing a watering system for me next Sunday. I sure hope that will be the case, as I really do need this.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

For sure it will help you. We cannot fully understand how water will be so important with all this weather changes .....
evelyn I hope you are much better,
cristina

OK, everyone! How was your growing season? Since I had such mixed results, I cannot really report anything special. I did have several good tomatoes, and several really duds! I do not know whether or not it was the soil in the Square Foot Gardens or in their containers. None in the ground got very big and most of them that I planted in the ground were eaten by gophers. My zucchini (Black beauty) was outstanding. I also sowed a hybrid zucchini on the same day and it barely put out any fruit by comparison.

We have so many tall trees that our veggie garden space is not in full sun all day. still, it was quite hot and many were in at least 6 hrs of sun. Those that got less did not do as well. I will grow lettuce and other things next season in those beds, as tomatoes want their day in the sun.

Darius and Cristina ~ What did you grow and what did you take away from this growing season?

Dr.Thor ~ How did your artichokes do in the heat of the summer? Mine did not like the heat, but they are doing much better now. Maybe we will get some next year. I will just leave the 3 plants in the ground and see what happens.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The artichokes did very well. they survived the crazy summer ...now they are growing very well.
I guess that they will bloom in the spring, just like my cardoon.
My vegetable garden harvests have been the best this year.
I have just received the Maria Thun's calendar 2013 and I will keep following it.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn, remember I'm down south and I am planting nearly everyday, our Spring has been Ok with some rain but some days unusually cold. My fruit trees are doing super and I will have to take some fruit down to get larger/better fruits, all the vegies are going well, so far so good.

My garden year was disappointing, although like Evelyn, I had a great zucchini and lemon squash crop. Some of the problems were weather-related, and some due to garden neglect as I've been ill several times this summer.

My Belgian endive grew great, and thankfully no underground damage. I dug the roots, cut off the tops, and they are in a bucket of potting soil in the cool, dark root cellar. They are starting to send out blanched shoots now.

I have several artichoke plants, hoping they survive the winter. The one that survived last winter never flowered.

Thumbnail by darius
Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

darius, hoping you are better and do take care, your winter is just starting,

Perhaps your climate is too cold for artichoke, but even when I said that perhaps your plant will do better next spring, in colder areas that start behaving as biennial and then when they are more mature they become fruiting every year as a proper perennial plant.

Darius ~ Yes, I too, hope that you are better and will continue on as such. I also had my challenges, but we are all hoping for better times.

I, also, had artichokes and they were horrible all summer. Now they are looking good. As long as there is not a severe winter, we might have some better results. I even dug them up and put more compost under them. They seem to be appreciating it, as well as the cooler weather.

So this thread has really turned into a chat thread...not all the results that we wanted to occur. I am disappointed, but will continue to carry on.

I probably will not start any seeds indoors until after the holidays. I have started lettuce outdoors and it is doing well so far. They are in my Square Foot Gardens. I will do more along these lines during the winter. I have one covered with Remay, to protect from frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.