Frugal Fence suggestions needed

Kinston, NC

Greetings,

As you may guess from my ID, I live within a wooded area. We have many resident critters large and small. I have several blueberry bushes and two apple trees started and need to get them fenced before they bud out and become food for the deer etc. I have an area of about 25' by 15' to enclose. In a few years once the plants are large enough I would like to be able to remove the fence.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive, relatively simple solution?

Many thanks! Karen

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Karen, deer tend to jump over fences. I've seen them jump over a 6 ft chainlink fence.

Here's a sight with lots of helpful information about fences and deer. Maybe one of those suggestions would help:

http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/articles/deerfences.html

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have heard that deer will not jump over something they cannot see what is on the other side. Don't know if it's true or not though.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

In some areas fence companies sell reclaimed fence at a very cheap price. You could call some companies and ask them if they sell reclaimed privacy fence material.

We used their services once, and it was very helpfull and appreciated.

The only thing is you have to go pick it up yourself. Most do not deliver.

Good luck,
Jeanne

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 12:52 AM

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Karen, I have this in a book on Texas landscaping and my brother in law who knows a lot about deer is copying this to protect his berry bushes and veggie garden right now. He seemed to think it would work well. He did not seem to think barbed wire is necessary but that plain wire would work and is less expensive.

Thumbnail by steadycam3
Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Out here in So Cali there are Garage Door Companies that sell the old used ones for $5-$10 each. That's a pretty good sized chunk of fencing for the cost if you don't mind an eclectic look and if you have a trailer to haul them with.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

hmmm. I'm gonna brain storm on that one. Might be a neat idea! Thank you!

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Let me know if it works out for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images