Dutch Iris this year

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I have had many threads here about my interest in Dutch Iris and planting Dutch Iris in my garden and how they did. Here are the old threads (starting with the oldest first) in case anyone is interested-

I am finially trying Dutch Iris for real-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137731/?hl=dutch+iris+

My Dutch Iris are comming up-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162294/?hl=dutch+iris+

Hey, my Dutch Iris are comming up all over the place-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162292/?hl=dutch+iris+

So this past fall, really late in the fall or maybe early winter all those Dutch Iris started growing after being dormant all summer after spring bloom. Then they continued to grow all winter. Now the folliage is as tall as it ever gets and the dutch iris clumps are nice and green. Look healthy in spite of the fact that it is still really early here. It was a strange winter, mostly very mild with lots of rain and no snow.

Now to wait until much later and warm weather and hopefully they will all bloom like they are supposed to. I do really, really love the looks of them. I just think the flowers are so pretty. They have that unusual shape and such stunning colors and color combos.

I took a picture.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

An-ti-ci-pa-tion!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Same here with my Dutch iris. Started growing in the fall, still green. We'll wait and see.

Check our the new USDA zones. I think you are now 7a.

This winter which was warm I think I really could have been a 7a. But that won't last. We will get a cold winter again if not next winter then soon thereafter.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I was surprised to see how much they have moved to 7a. Time will tell.

I don't believe it. I am sure if I bought plants hardy for zone 7 they would die over the winter.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

They are pretty freeze hardy. I dig up most of mine in late spring after they bloom when the leaves start to go dormant. Replant in the fall after everything else has gone away. They multiply with baby bulbs like crazy. The ones i leave in place year round become large clumps. Most of mine sprout in the fall, and make it through most of the winter unless there is some severe icing or hard freeze that will burn them, but they are resilient.

San Diego, CA

I love dutch iris and planted over 200 of them in my garden last fall. They are one of the few bulbs that can be naturalized in southern california. Can't wait to see your flowers.

These were really beautiful this past spring so I have high hopes they will bloom well this spring. But as for digging them up and replanting, I will never do that. I plant my bulbs and if they die out I just plant more. The digging up and replanting is too much work for me.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

chuck, why do you dig the Dutch Iris up? I have some and have left them in the ground. I was just wondering.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I have limited space for sun plants - and often rearrange the sunny flower bed(s) annually. The oaks have been taking over now and too much shade. I usually have a mountain of chopped oak leaves and old mulch I work into the soil every spring as well to reduce the clay content. I grow soil as well!!!!!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Dutch irises do not need tp be dug up, even in the south. I grew mine in north TX for years and they always returned well but they do send up leaves in fall. They do well esp. in zones 6-8. Rita, eager to see how yours have done...had I known we'd have a mild winter here, would have planted them here too!

Oh Steve, so glad to see you back on the forum. I remember your beautiful garden you left behind in Texas. Honestly, you should try the dutch iris where you are in your new garden. The bulbs are cheap so you don't have much to loose. And we both know how pretty those blooms are.

Here it is too early for Dutch Iris to bloom, no stalks coming up yet either.

This fall I am planning on adding more Dutch Iris in colors I don't have yet so things are going good here.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I planted a few last fall and they are up. Just waiting for some blooms (whenever that happens). I'm not that familiar with them and loved your blooms last year Rita so I thought I would try a few. We will see!

Steve you are not too far from me......hour and a half...or so south!

The blooms are lovely. Much too early for flower stalks yet.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine have bloomed out and been deadheaded, just the stalks left. I'll probably dig most of them up to store them for the summer. Time to put in the caladiums now.

Thumbnail by chuck7701 Thumbnail by chuck7701

Wow, that looks very pretty. I don't dig mine though, I just leave them.

San Diego, CA

Chuck, Do we need to wait until the leaves die back to dig them up? How long do we need to wait after the flowers to dig?

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

The longer you can leave them in the ground the better for the bulbs to multiply and store up energy for the fall planting. Otherwise I wait at least a couple weeks after flowering if I have to take them out. I do plant them early in the fall to compensate.

If you dig them up early, leave the plant intact to dry out at least a week or two. This will at least give the bulb time to heal if it flowered. Then clip the dead leaves and stalks off and store in a paper bag inside. I hang mine in a closet till fall.

Hurray, today I spotted bloom stalks coming up on a few of the Dutch Iris. The ones looking to bloom are some that are in between my TB iris in the mid backyard TB iris bed.

I planted my DR two years ago, nothing last fall. But I have already ordered more from Brent&Beckies and intend to get more yet. I have decided on were to put some new ones.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Great Rita, looking forward to seeing your blooms!!!! I will be planting some next fall.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i want to plant dutch iris too! they sell them but i think maybe they are treated as annuals here. cant wait for flowers!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is one of my clumps of Dutch Irises that is blooming now. They come back every year. I have an older clump of yellow ones that are starting to dwindle after about 6 years. I think the plants around them is crowding them out. I need to get some more of the white ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup Thumbnail by soilsandup

I always love dutch iris. The flowers are so pretty. Looks like they do very well for you.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Soilsandup,

You might need to bust up the clump of yellows. It's good to break them up every few years and replant I would try that to determine if there are bulb issues first when they start to go dormant later. Do the blues also.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine have buds coming up! "Blue Star" and "______ Beauty" or something like that....can't remember! I have 4 clumps that will bloom soon! I will plant more this fall!

First of those dutch iris started blooming.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have a couple that are blooming also! My first year for the Dutch Iris! I've planted them before but they never did anything. So happy to see them this year! I'll post pics later this evening or tomorrow.

Hurray!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

One is supposed to be "Oriental Beauty" but it is solid yellow and the others are blue with yellow spots on the petals. Another is "Blue Star" so we will see what they look like! They are still beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images