Need feedback on compact manure spreaders - gotta favorite?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm looking to buy a compact manure spreader that I can pull behind my ATV. Has anyone got a favorite compact spreader? I would love to know what brand you have, what you like about it and anything you don't like. :)

Thanks for the help! Sure appreciate it!
Glenda

Medina, OH

Hi Glenda-Sorry, I can't give you any feed-back, but have thought I might want one of these myself. Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum, let's hope some one out there can enlighten us.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Crossing my fingers for us, skeeler! ;)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never had one and don't know anything about them.

I was reading about burning manure for heat. A guy did an experiment where he made some molds and filled them with fresh horse manure. He packed it in and made bricks from it. He allowed it to air dry and burned it like logs. He said it was comparable to oak in heat and length of burn time.

The interesting part of the whole experiment was that he collected the ashes and spread them on his garden. He had a test plot that he divided into 3 sections. One he used only the ashes on, one he used comercial fertilizer and lime and the other he used fresh manure and lime. He planted the same plants in each plot and his yeild by the 3rd year was up to 50% higher on the plot fertilized with the ashes.

Medina, OH

Cajunin-Did you plan for me to read this April 1st?

I can just see the hubby when I start to excavate the manure pile and fill the molds.
He would have the men in the white coats here immediately, and as they cart me off
I'll be saying "No, No, Cajun said it would work...honest!"

Richmond, TX

- And what do the "logs" smell like when burning?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He said there was hardly any smell at all and that what smell there was was not offensive in the least. When he first wanted to start using dried manure for fuel his wife said he could NOT burn it in her fireplace because it would stink. So he used it in his office instead. After that she started using it to heat the house. He said he collected the manure green from out of the pasture and packed it into the molds with his foot. He wore rubber boots. Then he turned the molds over and tapped them with a hammer and the "bricks" fell out. Then he stacked them crossways on each other in his shed so air could circulate around them and dry them.

I will see if I can find the link again. It was on FB.

Richmond, TX

Hmmm, might be fun to try...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This should take you to the article.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/hooker87.html

Richmond, TX

Thanks, Cajun.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Always glad to help my friends with their poop. LOL

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

You know.... Many years ago, friends of ours went to India on a mission trip, and they told us that the people there collect the "cow pies" to use them for fuel.....burning them like we burn wood or coal. That was the first time I had heard of people burning poop. If I remember correctly, I think they used them fresh, without drying them first. Anyone know if there are any health hazards with burning fresh poop....or dried poop?? Man, if word of burning poop bricks gets out, farmers could eliminate their heating bills and it not cost them 1 penny to heat their homes!! ;) lol This could be the beginning of a poop packiní craze!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Dried poop has been used for fuel for many years. Pioneers in the US used it as they built this great nation. But I do not see how fresh poop could burn?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

It has been so many years since our friends went to India, maybe they were dried and my memory is failing me. If they won't burn fresh, they must have been dried then. Pat told me about them using cow pies for fuel AND about them collecting them off the ground. Maybe I just assumed they used fresh manure. .....Good to know they won't burn fresh!! LOL :-)

Chino Valley, AZ

I have had a Newerspreader for years and love it! Here is a link
http://newerspreader.com/
They design them to go through stall doors, easy maneuver, I hook it behond mt Gator and it breaks up and spreads out the manure so it will dry and disinigrate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images