Pruning strawberry blossoms

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

I assume that a strawberry plant can produce too many blooms so it affects the size and flavor of the strawberry. My strawberry plants have way too many blooms and I figure that if I don't prune some of them I will end up with a lot of tiny strawberries and/or a lot of under-developed ones. Do you use your best judgment to determine how many blooms you prune and how many you leave, or is there some other way to determine the percentage of each? Anyone else have this problem?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Tiny fruit comes from lack of fertility & water.
I never heard of pruning blossoms on strawberries.
I've had strawberries for 25 years, never had too many!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

CountryGardens
I had identified that part of the problem was that I hadn't been applying enough fertilizer at the proper frequency. But this year each plant has ten to fifteen short (less than 1/16 inches) little stems each with a blossom barely above the crown level and there is no way they could have all made it to full development. I wish I had taken a picture before I just pruned them all back to the crown. Was that the wrong thing to do? I guess I will find out in a few days if new stems appear. Thanks for your response.

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

This picture really doesn't do justice to showing the copius number of blooms coming right on top of the crown. I have replaced all of the dead strawberry plants, pruned the remaining ones including all blooms, and fertilized and watered all of the plants, and now I wait. I will post an updated picture in a couple of weeks showing the results.

Thumbnail by hrp50

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images