Patio Chair Revitalization

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

This idea came from last month's Sunset magazine. They gave instructions for re-stringing a patio chair using a 50' garden hose. DH modified the instructions somewhat and re-wove 4 tall yard chairs we have been unable to use because the mesh was long gone. We're very happy with the result.

The difference he made was instead of wrapping the hose completely around the chair, he drilled some holes and screwed in the lengths of hose. One 50' hose completed each tall chair. The hoses are $9.99 at Target.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I saw that in Sunset and wondered how it would work. Does the hose stretch a lot or is there plenty of support? I like the idea of drilling the holes and using screws. :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

CG, does not stretch alot, which makes the initial job harder but the comfort level when sitting in them is great. How they will do over time is yet to be determined but we are happy so far.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's good to know. It seems like the screws (or something) would really be necessary though to keep the hose from moving too much if it stretched.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

These look fantastic!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep - I agree. And comfy too. When in shorts I like a pillow under my butt but the give on the hoses is 'just right'. Before this idea DH had re-strung one or two with that old lawn chair webbing stuff.....looked ugly and felt that way too. The original seat and back were a strong mesh fabric that held up several years in Hawaii but the Arizona sun did it in fairly quickly.

West Jordan, UT

Those are great. Thanks for the idea!

Newark, DE

Mary - you and your DH did a great job! They look wonderful and the turquoise ones don't even look like hoses! Very cool. I wish I'd seen this last year when my brother trashed 2 of the old webbing type chairs that were rockers! Bummer....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

We're very happy with the result. They are comfortable and durable. Try it!!

Cleveland, TN

From the spring of 1979 through spring 1982 my wife and I were stationed at the Marine Corps Air Station in Kaneohe, Hawaii. We had three children ages 3 and under, the youngest being 2 months when we arrived. I was an E-5 in the Navy. We had been stationed in Maine and we found the prices in Hawaii to be a real strain on our finances. We, along with many other junior enlisted families in Hawaii, were on food stamps.
The base had a landfill at the time. Anything you had to dump you could take up there and throw in the current pile and they would doze it under perhaps once or twice a week. Many of the families being transferred were going places like Japan or korea so an awful lot of the stuff thrown away wasn't actually trash but just something they didn't want to pack out. On the first trip I discovered that it was full of folding aluminum lawn and beach chairs. Some were broken (those we sold as aluminum scrap), others had the webbing missing or in poor shape. I found rolls of new webbing at several stores in Kaneohe and Kailua. For the rest of the time there I re-webbed chairs for our personal use
and to sell in our neighbor's frequent yard sales. In close to three years I must have re-webbed over 300 chairs.
We also stripped and re-upholstered a couch and two chairs with no experience, armed only with the information contained in a slim book I checked out of the base library. Confidant after that experience we sold several more chairs at yard sales and taught 4 of our neighbors in base housing how to upholster so they could fix up their own finds.
The apex of our dump salvaging came in the form of a Moped motorcycle. I cleaned the gas filter and it started right up. After a good washing and a little judicious spray painting we sold it for 80 dollars.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

You are after my own heart. People throw the darnedest things away. My hubby has reconstructed *so* many things. He's like you in that regard. Similar to what you found at the landfill, he would cruise apartment complexes on Sunday evening or Monday morning. The 'stuff' people didn't want to take with them when moving (hence the Sunday night/Monday morning time frame) .....ye gads. We were in northern California then, LOTS of flea markets. He just resold it all.....funny what people throw away.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes cruising the curb side is cheap fun!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I was reared by parents that survived the depression. somehow I internalized their idea that to buy rather than re-use is morally wrong. I think that is why it feels soooo good to re-purpose something rather than to go buy new.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes I'm sure it's ONE of the reasons I love making jean quilts. I can take a wore out piece of clothing and turn it into some useful again.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I HAVE SOME SIMILAR CHAIRS LIKE THOSE AND ONE OR 2 STRAPS WERE BUSTED . I CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF USING OLD MEN"S LEATHER BELTS AND THEY HOLD UP FINE, I BUCKLED THEN UNDERNEATH

Phoenix, AZ

Are there directions someplace in DG that I can read? This is my first time here. We have some older chairs that need new vinyl webbing. We like the idea of the using the hoses. Great idea! Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.