April 2012-Too early for the heat!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

How about this Lilac Globe Tree at my Mom's house?! That thing is getting good size and it is very fragrant, we spent most of Easter Sunday out there.
That's me sitting on the swing, and my Mom's dog. I got a spare tire on me, I am working on that! lol That privacy fence is just leaning there. It's not looking very good, but it was just put there because the big dogs in that other yard were scaring my Mom's little dog. Her dog wouldn't go on that side of the yard before, she got that fence from a neighbor who was throwing it away, but it's falling apart now.
I got that sheet of waferboard cut in half and finally gonna get that side of the shed covered up soon.

I hope your right, Sally, I don't want no steenking ticket! Your new driveway looks great Sally, and the plantings will look wonderful.
I like your pics, you do rocks too! We have a birdbath similar to the one in your second photo. It's behind the Globe Spruce -
Yeah, I agree, I may try again to start that red Rose of hers. I tried it last year but all I can think was they weren't warm enuff before I dunno, I'll try it again this Summer.
Thanks Sally, I hope them shade plants do okay. I think that Coral Bells 'Birkin' is so big because this time of year they promote the bigger ones at Home Depot for a somewhat decent price I guess, $5.98.

They say on channel 41 a low of 35 Wed, nite in the KC area if it is a thing for anybody in this area. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
That forecast changes pretty often though, so I'd check back, it could be different tomorrow.
Will

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 9:49 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm hearing lows below 32 tonight for most places. Freeze warnings north and east of me. I covered up my big planter that I just planted and brought stuff in that I didn't get a chance to plant yet. I'm getting some more potting soil tomorrow so I don't have to drag them in and out anymore.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

billyp, I don't know what the zones are for Queen Elizabeth and don't remember what it is. Sorry.

I am still in the process of planting the iris. I'm keeping them wetted and we are having rain off and on. The others are still in their holding pots and doing fine, even blooming!

I don't know what corydalis is, so am looking it up on Plant files. Whic one do you have? Color? They look like a neat plant

Will, that lilac tree is beautiful. I can imagine how fragrent it is! I want to get a lilac bush. That is one of my favorite flowers. They had them at Walmart for $20. Still trying to decide whether to buy one or not. These were in bloom and smelled soooooooo good!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Just finished covering all our strawberries. Every blanket we had plus some rolls of insulation. Going down to 22 tonight. Apple & grape people are really worried. Apple shouldn't be blooming for another month, but they are very close. Goofy weather!

Plantfiles says 6b for Climbing Queen Elizabeth but that is not accurate. I have it of it growing all over it the place so I think it should be fine up there for you Bp. Just mulch it.

Goofy weather indeed!!!

I saw maybe that weather forecast too, they said St. Joseph and surrounding areas could go as low as 29 to 30.
Isn't that Lilac Tree just awesome! It's almost done growing, good thing, the house power line is about 4 feet above it. Here is a closer up of it's flowers.
I am just in awe of the fragrance it has!

The TropiCanna Pepper sent me appears to be coming back in this big gray pot this year I noticed recently. It's not in the center of the pot where I put the big bulb so hope another sprout might come up somewhere else like the middle! lol

In the green grass photo, the 2 trees way back there are 2 Shumard Oaks that I planted in my maternal Grandparents' yard way back in July 2004. Here is a photo from then, they were about as big a round as a pencil, I had just got them out of a then Missouri Conservation regional office dumpster in Blue Springs, MO.
Next is a photo of them yesterday, they have grown considerably to my Grandparents' and my delight. That closer evergreen is a Black Hills Spruce that I also planted, but not until 2005, it is also growing good. That other tree over to the right is the neighbor's tree and it's dead, they oughta cut it down. They are nice neighbors, they keep a watch on my Grandparents also, they even cut their grass for free.

22 after being so nice would be a bummer. It isn't supposed to reach freezing here but we've been surprised before. The only things I set out is some Sugar-Snap Peas, so I'll get those if I need to, I have more of those seeds if I need them.
Will

This message was edited Apr 11, 2012 12:41 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

53/57/52
Through 9am: Light rain developing by mid-morning. Becoming mostly cloudy with temperatures falling to near 46F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Rain showers early then thundershowers for the afternoon. High 57F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Nice picture of you Will!
Love the lilac! I've never seen one like it before. Is it that shape naturally or was it trimmed over the years? Love the birdbath!
Yeah, that's a very decent price compared to ordering and paying shipping.

Crit,
I'm thinking it's zone 5 for the Queen. I could Google it :o)
I have the yellow corydalis. It is a neat plant and reseeds very well. It's delicate, but tough and survives very well. I also have wild fumewort which has a similar bloom and is blooming right now. Then it disappears for the summer.

Bernie,
I hope you saved all your plants.

Thanks Pepper :o)

Will,
Love the overhead of the lilac blooms. Isn't the sky something!
That's a nice sprout!
Love the green grass photo. You certainly have a green thumb with trees :o)

We watered asparagus and have been eating it. Boy is it good! Just yesterday I pulled those stubborn stalks from winter and got most of the weeds. Today we're to get rain and I sure hope we do!

I weeded in the garden yesterday but the chilly wind just gave me a headache. I can't decide if the coughing the boys did here, morphed into a cold or sinus. At least I got the root grass out before it turned into a huge problem.

First is corydalis and second fumewort

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Planted carrots, beets, & some seed onions yesterday. Still no rain, but promised!
All things came through the frost, I think.

I'm just sitting here waiting on bad weather to show up. Gonna be a crazy and tense weekend.

Thanks Sally! It's a goofy photo, but I've come to know that all photos of me are goofy!
That's the natural shape of the tree. I thought she called it a Lilac Globe Tree, she bought it in 1997 for $100, it flowered the first year.
A birdbath at her house with the Lilac Tree? There are 2 there in the photo. Actually, the one on the right I got her from a home foreclosure cleanout that I did for HUD in 08', the other one is kinda crumbling apart on the bowl itself part. The concrete on it wasn't made right or something. The one I got her has fish going up the pedestal, I think the date of the photo obscures that but it's a neat birdbath up there. But by golly, I have the biggest and best birdbath of all! Mine is the fourth photo, I brag on that thing because it weighed a ton!
Thanks, a green thumb with trees eh? I only show the photos of the trees that lived! lol It's funny, in that green grass photo if you squint real hard you can barely see the disturbed dirt where I had just planted the 2 Shumard Oaks. The photos offline are quite a bit bigger but I think you might be able to barely see them as saplings in that photo maybe in DG.
Nice Corydalis and Fumewort, Sally, they are a nice yellow.

The TropiCanna is coming back in a big way. Here it is sprouting already, if you look above the leaf you can see a second little red sprout coming up in a more preferable place in the planter, closer to the middle, boy was I glad to see that sprout! I need to somehow tie the sprouts together or something, the wind broke off an entire full grown stem last year, I was bummed right out!

I planted 8 Lily-of-the-Valley roots today. I planted them in the front of my shade garden because they don't get that tall. In this photo, that is 5 roots on the right that I'm planting, I had already planted 3 roots in the front on the left (see the top of the Lily-of-the-Valley sticking out, the biggest one was over there). They aren't really anything special but my friend really likes them, and they're pretty. They were cheap at Wally World, 8 roots for $5.38.

The Rose-Of-Sharon cutting is really coming along. It has more little leaves coming on all the time. It's the third photo. I plan to pot it up within a month or so to send it to Crit, so it can be there in time to experience an Oklahoma Summer firsthand.

Yeah, I read zone 5b for the Queen Elizabeth Rose too - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5045 pretty Rose.

Yeah, something is brewing with this weather this weekend, it seems like that anyway, it's all ominous and crazy looking.

In this last photo I just wanted to show my Lily-of-the-Valley package, that's the 'Francee' Hosta and Coral Bells 'Key Lime'? next to it.
Will

This message was edited Apr 13, 2012 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

YEA. My baby ROS is about to be adopted to me! :-)

The corydalis is really pretty

We are having weird weather too. Had 1 3/4" of rain last night. Chance of severe storms again tonight. I'm glad to have the spring rains so the ponds can fill up and we can get out of the drought situation. We are now, but just barely.

Yes Crit, you are the proud adoptive mother of a Rose-Of-Sharon cutting! I did word that wrong, I meant to say I'm shipping it soon, to pot it up and ship it would weigh quite a bit to ship out of state.
I'm just gonna send it bareroot, but moist roots soaked in the stuff that the Missouri State nursery shipped my seedlings in this year. I don't know what that mystery shipping stuff is that they use but it's light and it holds moisture good! I filled up a 1 gallon black pot with it yesterday.

Wow, an inch and three quarters of rain, that's a lot. It's been raining but not nearly that much, but it's always gloomy outside. I was cleaning out a shed today and it got all dark like it was going to bust out with a rainstorm, so I was all worried and was hurrying ( with everything from inside the shed, out), but it never rained a drop!

Happ, the dark red Rose you gave me is well on it's way to blooming some nice flowers, I think that is the first of many, buds are all over it.
That's it in the first photo. I just showed my friend here this photo of it from today and she squealed with delight! Across from it I planted a 'Royal America' climbing white Rose from Kmart for $5.99. There is a micro-climate in the backyard here (you can't see the horizon on the North), so I hope that helps my new findings on that Rose's hardiness, I looked it up it is 6b! If everything blooms on that little Harbor Freight trellis, it'll be a smorgasbord of Rose flowers! I might also plant an apricot/yellow Rose there called 'Penny Lane'.

How about my James Macfarlane Lilac, that thing was like $3 last Fall as a Fall special. My friend is so giddy on it that she wants me to buy another one this Fall she just said. We have a regular purple Lilac that is even bigger and taller than this one but it isn't blooming yet.

I just saw today what might be the Lobelia coming back from the ground. I'm not sure that's what it is, if anybody can help know for sure that'd be nice. I would like to have the elusive Cardinal Plant in the garden.

Here is my three 'Satisfaction' Lily Trees. I don't know how that one got out of line with the other two, it tried to escape I think. It's not as neat on the top because I wasn't expecting it to be out there and I went over it with a weedeater! I'll put it back in line, by the fence, with the other two this Fall. My other set of, originally 3, now 4, 'Purple Prince' Lily Trees are doing good on the other side of the yard, (which isn't far away..lol).

Offline, where the photo is much bigger, I counted over 20 peaches coming on in this shot itself, on my 'Red Haven' Semi-Dwarf Peach Tree. Right now they are harder to all see in a smaller pic, the peaches aren't yet the typical round red shape, they still look a bit like leaves in some's silhouettes. This single self fruiting tree is going to be loaded with peaches in years to come.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 6:38 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf; what's the difference as to 'cardinal plant' and cardinal flower, as they both begin with Lobelia.I'll just give the 'OH' now instead of waiting.

As it is ,my imagination is failing me today,it needed to rain ,I'm even glad it is,but man, I am bored.

I have some rose of sharon seeds , what do hybrids look like?

Juhur, I don't really know. I said "plant" but I think it means "flower". Actually, I'm not sure if mine 'Queen Victoria' is gonna survive a normal Winter here, I see it says zone 7 here - http://www.perennialreference.com/perennials/lobelia.html As far as hybrid Rose-Of-Sharon's, I really don't know that either, I know they sell them, I've seen them at stores. Sorry that I couldn't be more help. Now, I can tell you how many are in a baker's dozen, 9! But, those Altheas or Rose-Of-Sharon hybrids are nice if you got the room for them - http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=g#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=hybrid%20rose%20of%20sharon%20&pq=hybrid%20rose%20of%20sharon&cp=29&gs_id=1o&xhr=t&q=hybrid%20rose%20of%20sharon%20%20Althea&pf=p&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS400US401&sclient=psy-ab&oq=hybrid+rose+of+sharon++Althea&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=af73696fe4de10c7&biw=1920&bih=947 The hybrid ROS are very nice I bet.
I might opt for a Lobelia siphilitica. Lobelia siphilitica, great blue lobelia. 2 - 3'. Great blue lobelia is very similar to cardinal flowers but the foliage is more rounded and the flowers, of course, are blue. Zones 4 - 8.
I copied and paste some stuff from informative sites. I wish I knew about more of what I talk about. My Mom and Sisters tell me that too when we're playing Scrabble! Like I'll use the word "zed" and they'll be like, "ok, what's it mean" and I'll say, "I zed something", they just laugh! lol

We got another 3/4" of rain this morn. Were in a severe thunderstorm watch about 5:45 a.m.
Lots of wicked weather all around us and a tornado up in Kansas. Our family made it home before it hit. Only had bad hail damage.

LOL @ Will and the bakers dozen and Scrabble!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What do lilac leaves look like as the buds open?Are they usally red?What shape are they? I have need of some id info for grandma,she got a bunch of trees and we need to identity the lilacs.

Crit, glad the worst of the storms missed you. They were pretty wicked last night!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Showed up here today. Nothing hit that I know of. Weather spotters said there were funnels on the ground, but mostly small & in fields.

Glad to hear that.

Photos are great for id'ing stuff, juhur, if you can, take some photos. Here is the 2 Lilacs in this yard, the other regular purple one is in the background, it isn't flowering like the 'James Macfarlane' Lilac in front of it. Yeah, nasty weather, it's been thundering and raining but nothing severe really. I hear lots of tornadoes in other states though. I haven't seen much news, I been gone all day.

Haha! 9 glazed donuts is a baker's dozen isn't it?!
Will

This message was edited Apr 15, 2012 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pretty, pretty, pretty, love the flowers! Have to wait on the pic, the seedlig transplant is only now beginning to leaf. The little 2 dollar for postage digital cam won't do for that.

Thanks juhur,. A 2 dollar camera eh? Is yours on a keychain too?! I don't use my keychain camera, I think it was a bank gift from depositing my millions. I'm lucky that I was left a decent point and shoot digital camera when my Dad passed, it's 8 years old but it takes good photos, it was all the stuff back in 2004 (for a point and shoot camera). Oh, I wanted to show Sally the birdbath here that looks like hers. I need to scrub it out and maybe paint it that RustOleum gloss black, it's a little faded.

Oh, how tax time is here again! This is one time a year that it pays a little to actually NOT be rich!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just mow the grass while ago and I saw this Robin's nest with 2 blue eggs!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it's not a keychain camera only I guess it could be, about the size of my little finger and i'm small handed.As for for my millions and tax time, we all know who owns the money anyway.Did make a 70% bracket once years ago,not as fun as I thought it would be. My imagination would have to be much better these days to even have such things coming to mind.
And my first clematis blooms today! Right in time to be wind damaged.BOO?!!

Ack! Yes, sounds like a $2 camera there!
Sorry to hear about your damaged Clematis juhur. It's been really windy recently here too but no damage here. The tornado destruction is here again! Well, not so much Missouri, but Ks. (mostly), Ok, Iowa and Ne. I hope I got this right, Woodward, Ok., Thurman, Iowa, Wichita, Ks. and in Nebraska, not sure where. They showed where tornadoes were at and the whole state of Missouri was spared according to the Weather channel. - http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tornado-damage-recap-apr12_2012-04-15
You made it to the 70% juhur?! They say the 6 Walmart heirs have as much money as the bottom 30% of all Americans.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:03 PM

Here is one of my clematis!! It has more blooms on it now but this is the best it has ever looked. I'm thinking my new Penny Lane rose would look good with it. Gotta be better looking than an orange and purple combo!! Oh wait, I love the crazy combos. Hmmm, I think Westerland rose will go there instead. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Neat Clematis and trellis there Pepper, I like how the trellis is 4 sided. I wonder what goes with a black Rose?!

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 11:13 PM

Anything goes with a black rose!! lol

Well Will, if you get 9 when you get a bakers dozen and your happy, so be it! LOL
In my area it is 13. ^_^

Does anyone have any small purple (or white) lilacs that they could dig for me? I would send you postage. I LOVE lilacs, especially the old fashioned purple. They smell so good! WM has some for $17, but money is pretty tight.

All the bad stuff stayed west moving north from us, Praise God! I know there was a lot of damage done from them that night!

I saw the prettiest orange rose at the nursery the other day. They had it planted in their yard and was about 5 feet tall. I asked what it was and we checked the tag. It was About Face. I WANT ONE!!!! So pretty. Don't know if it was fragrent though.

I've seen those nearly black roses for sale. I used to work at a flower shop many many years ago, (I was the delivery driver). Anyway, there was all colors of Roses there! You know how? They spray-painted them! Haha, just kidding about the 9 donut baker's dozen! I think it's 13 here too but I don't think they are around anymore, I imagine a thirteenth one probably cuts into the owner's bottom line.

There is 2 Lilacs here, a pink one and a regular purple one, but they're tiny. From what I read, digging up suckers is the best way. You can always buy a fairly small one or small one, like we did and wait the few years for blooms. - http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/gardening/shrubs-bushes/care/how-propagate-lilacs I don't know if doing Lilac cuttings is that easy some say it's easy, some say it's hard I see. I think some sites assume that you already have a big one to work on.

Here is my Lilac package from 2 or 3 years ago, it started out very small and is still pretty little. It either came from Lowes or Home Depot, probably Lowes. I tried to keep my bowl out of the shot but I see I got the edge of the bowl.

I think I may need to dig mine up. I only gave it 4 feet on either side and I've seen old ones that are like 15 feet in diameter!

Crit, it'll be okay if the postage is gonna be too high to ship that ROS to Ok., they are prolly proud of shipping that far. As somebody that's on unemployment I understand totally.
Want me to see what the shipping is first? You might be able to get a store bought one for this regular one.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It's not so bad.They'll bloom some more.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That'll be fine Will. Then I'll know what to expect.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

shortleaf; I wasn't ignoring about your parent, mine passed in 91 the other is still living although has been having recent trouble.It's always difficult losing someone near and respected.
And these days I'm a limited budget income,that's not much fun either!!

Ok Crit, I'll get it ready soon and see what they say at the USPS.

Oh juhur, I know, don't give it another thought.
Losing family members does stink. That's a nice Clematis you got there.

Well, I think I'm gonna be digging up this Lilac, I don't think it has enuff room. It's in the middle of this first photo, those up there across the top are some Ozark Witch Hazels. To the right of the Lilac is another Lilac, but it's a different kind (james Macfarlane and I'm guessing it doesn't get as big as the regular one. On the left side of the Lilac is a Spirea. Does anyone else think the middle Lilac doesn't have enuff room? That's only about 4 feet between them. Here is that Lilac much closer if anyone wants to see the leaves, the label says it is Syringa Vulgaris, it's the second photo.

I got my latest addition planted up, the 'Penny Lane' climbing rose, I got it from Pickering Nursery, mailorder. It is on the far side of this trellis in the third photo. On the close side, a few blooms so far, is the dark red Rose that I got from happ about a year ago. Next to the 'Penny Lane' (beigish/apricotish, waiting to see) is a whitish/yellowish climber called 'Royal America'. I hope that cheaper ($5.99) Harbor Freight trellis holds up.
It could be 2 or 3 years before the 'Royal America' and 'Penny Lane' bloom, but I can wait, I am a patient sort. The third photo shows the whole trellis, the fourth photo shows the Penny Lane I planted today and the Royal America next to it that I planted a 3 or 4 days ago.

The fifth photo is my 3.5 by 7 foot shade garden, that Ligularia on the back right is really getting some size, lots of leaves and they are getting BIG!
Will

I just had to share another pic, of the front shady bed that I made today. It will have 18 Lily-of-the-Valley roots, 6 Christmas Fern roots and 2 Chocolate Chip Ajugas (those 2 from Home Depot) planted in it hopefully tomorrow.

I have a question, does anyone know how "bulbs" or "roots" can stay viable and fresh so long in those bags at Walmart and Home Depot, (for examples of stores)? Are they sun AND moisture activated perhaps?
Because I wouldn't think dry roots, (like in a green bag of roots) would be good for the viability of a plant, but all the bulb and root sales obviously isn't in agreement. Is it because the bag inside is so dry and opaque and little to no light gets in the bag, that they can stay in there for extended periods? Like my Lily-of-the-Valley roots and Christmas Fern roots say "roots" on the bag, should it really say bulbs? I can kinda see a bulb being viable but these dry "roots" in the bags?

How about the Water Iris from happ putting out a yellow flower? Is that some green water or what? lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

LOVE that color green! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Suppose we should all get together and send some algae eaters?

That is an interesting artistic display of green, imaginative, creative, eye catching, really unique!! (lol)

Pardon I could not resist.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, that's your green water right there and it hasn't even gotten really hot and sunny yet. I scoop water out of there sometimes to water other plants and it's funny pouring this green liquid on them! Plants don't seem to mind the water being green, they perk right up when I water them with it. Although, I don't think I'd recommend a person drinking it!

Haha! Really, it'll be okay, don't send algae eaters, those things are expensive. I'd rather have green water than be able to see the liner bunched up in places. There isn't anything to look at like fish, when I get fish then maybe I'll break one off for one of those UV clarifiers.

Besides, it DOES bring out the artist in me, maybe I can freeze some cubes in ice cube trays and sell cubes of them for $100 apiece on Ebay. If people on Ebay will buy stale French Fries, McNuggets and cow patties on there maybe they'll like some funny green water! Maybe I can say it just appeared and filled up a bucket in the yard on 420! That water does have a certain uniqueness and it just kinda adds to the whole theme of doing stuff on the cheap! I might just leave the green water for a while, it's a neat conversation piece and it's eyecatchingly cool! Now, when I put the one liners on the ladies in the garden centers I can tell them about my green water and ask them how to fix it!
Will

ROFLMBO ..... toooooo funny! I'll take a 'bakers dozen' of your green ice cubes, please. lol

You need FISH. Buy some cheap feeder goldfish and throw them in there. I use to do that to my stock tanks to keep out the larvae and keep the water clear. I got solid gold then some gold and white ones. Cheap Koi! I left them in there all winter too. They just snuggled down into whatever was in the bottom. UNTIL I was gone to long on a trip and the water got down low enough that I ended up with frozen fish. I'd had them for several years and they were about 9-10" long. UGH

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.