April 2012-Too early for the heat!!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear you feel better, Sally. Thanks, I'm finally seeing some reward for the my neighbor and code-enforcement troubles! It's starting to look like that worst to first that I was hoping. Now, I need to find somewhere to put away all the miscellaneous stuff that is just sitting around everywhere. If I can just keep the cops out of the backyard I'll be happy! They've been back there three times to investigate (that I know of..lol), I would like to avoid more! I hope they feel like heels, all that supposed clutter was part of the landscaping plan. I've got a lot of plants and pots sitting around, but I find a place for them eventually. Oh well, they are only doing their jobs, I'm sure there are stubborn types that just have a big mess and refuse to clean it up.

Thanks billyp, that Hall's Honeysuckle is getting more flowers everyday. I'll post a photo that I took of it today.

Yeah, those Lily Trees grow fast and this is their first year, for the 'Satisfaction's, that were in that photo. They should get about twice that tall this year. I'm anxious to see the flowers on them. They are supposed to look like this - http://www2.brecks.com/product.asp?pn=73856 I got them last Fall from Brecks in the mail.

Thanks happ, no mulch volcanos here either, I've seen those, aren't they just ridiculous?! - http://primexgardencenter.com/trees/erupting-volcanoes-2/ Here is the Persimmon after it got some mulch today.
That Persimmon has grown on me, to quote Spock, I want it to, "live long and prosper", I'm not even a trekkie, although, I can do my fingers like Spock!

I went and got another 1.5 cubic yards of cedar mulch today and got 5 or 6 wheelbarrows full down and spread out this afternoon. I don't know what their deal is on the pricing, it was $3.75 higher than the same load last time. I didn't argue with them, I just got it and got back. I need to finish with the same supply of mulch that's already in the backyard, but I'll look for another landscape materials place. You'd think they'd give me a break after all that I've bought from them. It's not like they don't remember me (since about 2004!), I have a memorable face, I've learned that over the years! lol

Here is a wider view of the mulched area I'm working on.

Here is my rectangular planter with the Liatris coming up. Squirrels have been munching on the bulbs before they can get a chance to come up! I counted 14 (of 25..lol) that have come up! I know it's squirrels, they just leave holes where the bulbs were! That's their style, just dig a hole and get it! That Delta truckbox just holds the shovels and rakes and stuff, I've had it for years, it never was a good truckbox, it leaks. I set out some old bread and some old shelled walnuts and pecans. I did the same thing with bread and nuts by my Peach tree. I don't think the Peaches have interested them yet, but I'd like to steer them away from my stuff if I can. I watched a squirrel the other day out the window, it was just jumping from one pot to the next, rooting around.

Maybe you can show a photo of your pergola when you get done, happ. That's alot of mulch you got there, that many bags is nothing to sneeze at, only 14 is a cubic yard, which is a bunch of mulch! - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070512053812AAnqBH2 it's nice to know somebody else is laboring with a ton of mulch! lol

Here is my $6 variegated Liriope, I intend to shovel all that dirt outta there before I mulch there, I'm not giving the dastardly weeds a place to take root if I can. I'm looking forward to that Liriope getting big and bushing all out.

Thanks for the kind words guys, the backyard is taking shape after 3 years or so!

Will

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 9:34 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45/76/61
Through 10am: Light rain developing around mid-morning. Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 60s. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.
This Afternoon: Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Happ,
The chance to sleep in should be taken as much as possible, LOL! I still have a trace of headaches and debated going back myself.

Will,
Any mess can be stacked or lined up. The trick is to not leave them out in the yard that way.
I can't wait to see your liliies bloom too. I don't know anyone who has them.
Wow, overkill on the ''mounding of the mulch'' example, LOL!
Sheesh, I guess they are covering costs by upping the mulch. What a shame.
The squirrels will go for your peaches when they are just about ripe. Too bad they got into the liatris. I've never seen that before.
Well, you've done a lot of work and it looks nice! It just takes a while for things to get big and really show off.
That's really nice mulch!
Yep, it's really shaping up! Get the rest of the mulch on and it will change instantly!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have heard putting semi large wire screen over the bulbs will keep the squirrels from digging up the bulbs, big enough for the stalks to come up but small enough to keep the squirrels from getting to the bulbs, I don't know if it works because I don't have squirrels, I am an island in the middle of a bean field, there are squirrels in the tree row by the creeks, but not on my isalnd....rofl. No one will be able to complain about your garden this summer because it is really coming together.

I found my camera last night, took pictures, and promptly lost the camera again....ughhhhh, how does this happen...Will have to retrace my footsteps, I went to the garden room to water maybe I sit it down there, hope so because we got rain somethime last night.

This is the earliest I have a daylily blooming, actually started in April, then now there are big buds on my lilies, roses are blooming, geehz by summer unless these guys keep blooming for a very long time I am not going to have anything in bloom.....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread for May!! This thread is CLOSED!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255619/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.