More Identification Help Needed

Orchard Park, NY(Zone 5a)

Me again...I have another plant that I didn't see last spring (when we had snowcover nearly to May). This is the second year we've been in this house and there is a lower part of the woodland area that is down a fairly good "cliff" and until recently was hard for me to get to (we now have a good access) so I'm still finding new delights (and some not-so-delightful ones as well) in the area.

These plants are in an boggy area (although where they are is probably never really under water, the nearby area frequently is,) a little ways from a creek and with deciduous tree cover. Nearby are sensitive ferns growing wild.

Grateful for any help.
Roberta

Thumbnail by roberta1977 Thumbnail by roberta1977
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like the early shoots of Veratrum viride, False Hellebore http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53080/

Than you greenthumb...I'm sure you are correct. This seems to be one of my "unhappy surprises". It grows several feet tall but I don't remember seeing last summer. I understand the plant, especially the roots, is toxic (even though medicinal uses are also mentioned). It doesn't seem to be something I want in my yard, but I'm not sure of the best way to get rid of it. From what I've found, the toxicity occurs from ingesting it, not touching it. I'm not normally a fan of Roundup but I'm thinking that might be the best way for me to go (rather than digging it up and then having to dispose of the leaves/roots.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Roberta,

I would be happy to reimburse you for shipping some of the plants.

David

David,
would be willing to ship, any advice on best way to pack them would be helpful as I haven't shipped plants before. Also should I cut them back before shipping (they are about 10-12" high now) and do you know how extensive the root system is (I'm assuming I can dig them up myself but I'm not as strong as I used to be)? How many would you want? We live in the Buffalo New York area so they shouldn't take too long to get there. I'm fairly new to Dave's Garden, so I'm not sure of the best way to contact each other to make arrangements. It's cold and rainy here today (with maybe even a little snow in the forecast), but the weather is supposed to get fairly nice in a couple of days and I could dig then. The ground shouldn't be difficult to dig unless today's rain gets heavier (in which case the area will be pretty wet for a few days).
Roberta

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Roberta,

I'll D-mail you so you can close this thread, rather than it be kept active with our chit-chat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.