Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 136 votes:

I always wear a hat.
(14 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I wear gloves. (what kind?)
(44 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Clogs in the summer, boots in the winter.
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

No shoes at all for me!
(16 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Some of the above.
(45 votes, 33%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(12 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

Atlas 370s, always! My DH always said I have a glove fetish! Ha!
I buy these by the dozen (or more), and love to give them to gardening friends for birthdays, Christmas, special events, etc.

So far, I've only bought them from Co-ops.

They wash up great. I wash them in my plant sink, while still wearing them. A small scrub brush and lava soap usually cleans them up nicely if I haven't let the mud dry on them (which I do, quite frequently. Oops..) I just let them air dry.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

she has a plant sink!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Doesn't everybody have a plant sink? Mine doesn't have running water yet, but it will in the near future.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Very cool!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Show off.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Love it.
I have a sink too! In my greenhouse. It's a double that we found by the side of the road. My hubby put in a pump to run water from my rain barrel to the sink. Love it! The picture shows the sink, pump and rain barrel (a carolina jasmine is covering it) right outside the greenhouse.
To get back on topic, I throw my atlas gloves right in the wash. I try to buy mine at our County Arboretum's store, to help support them.
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Another vote for the Atlas gloves. I have several pairs (and so does my husband) and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I can do everything but handle teensy tiny seeds with them on. My hands and nails are in MUCH better shape since I started using them every time I decide to dig :-)

Shoes are optional. If I'm doing serious gardening, then it's some comfortable old running shoes, but if I"m just playing in the dirt, it's flipflops or barefoot for me.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I get my money's worth out of my old sneakers, too. I keep using them until too much dirt comes in through the holes. lol

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Terry, I love my Atlas gloves, and I got some for my husband, but I think gloves require too much forethought for him. He can use higher brain function at work, but not home in his cave. ^_^

KyWoods - yes, that's true! I realized the other day that one of mine have a hole that's letting in quite a bit of dirt. Guess my socks and I have a date with the Clorox here pretty soon. I'm loathe to give them up yet, they've got a lot of miles on 'em and they fit just right!

Carrie, it took mine a while to see the virtue in gloving up, but he's come to appreciate that it takes less time to slip them on and off than to scrub off the grime when you don't (not to mention, dealing with dried, cracked fingers and cuticles - clay soil sucks the moisture right out of your skin.) Not to mention, a few rounds with brambles and stickery weeds can get just about anybody to reach for the heavy-duty gloves. And the coup de grace to braving it bare-handed? He's developed a sensitivity to poison ivy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope that before mine has any more few toes in the grave he will see the error of his prideful ways, folks. Ever since I bought my first ATLAS gloves in a DG co-op, I have been an Atlas convert. (I was already a gloves and mittens person, I just didn't know about Atlas.) Now all my lady-like gloves genes have been sublimated by the Atlas Gloves gene spliced in.

DH is super-sensitive to all kinds of brushed-against things, mowed-down things, pruned things and weed-whacked things, but to date, has found it more fits his image to suffer in silence and then MAYBE need a trip to the ER next week for steroids! If he acted that way at his REAL JOB, well, never mind. Three cheers that some sensible spouses are able to take direction. (He'd probably say I don't take direction either!)

I wouldn't say he took direction. I bought the gloves, showed him how thin and flexible they were and then left it alone. I'd wear mine, he didn't for a while. Then eventually he decide it was worth a try :-)

And I'll go on record and admit that stubbornness is not exclusively a guy thing...I'm the same way: it's gotta be MY idea for me to fully warm up to it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hear, hear.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i started wearing gloves when i lifted a pot and found a Coral Snake underneath and that same summer found io cats on my roses. that cured me quick.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That'll do it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Purple nitrile gloves in small so they fit tight for light work, Bionic gloves for tough work, wide brim hat in sun, ALWAYS some type of shoe--I stepped on a wasp one Mother's Day and it felt like a knife going in my foot! I just thought the other day I'd like a tool belt for gardening. I need something to keep scissors, plant ties, cultivator/whatever. I have a garden scooter from years ago that I can't do without. And a squishy padded kneeling pad from Target.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

ATLAS GLOVES!!! Here's a little known fact (that we should all know) about Atlas gloves... You should wash them in the washing machine and DRY THEM IN THE DRYER!!! I helped out the company who makes/imports the Atlas gloves and learned from them that the dryer reinvigorates the "tackiness" of the palms and fingers of the 370's (and the other nitrile gloves.) Who would've thunk???

Not a hat girl, but sometimes a visor that just pushes on (not all the way around the head.) I don't have a kneeler (big butt works fine!) and I do have one of those "rocking" stools which I couldn't do without.

Also, I'll send a prize to anyone who can help me find shoes for gardening (preferably clogs with a back-strap) that have arch support and work for over-pronation (flat feet that roll "in.") I have been searching for a long time and haven't come across anything. Crocs (even prescription), Dansko, etc. aren't supportive enough. I've been wearing my New Balance 1011's that end up stinky!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Ah ha! I hadn't been putting them in the dryer because of the elastic. Good to know that will keep the nitrile from getting hard over time.
Barb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Had to start wearing a hat and sun block a few years ago. Wear gloves and long sleeves & long pants when out at mesquito times.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the feel od the earth on my hands..

No gloves, no hat..occasionally after rain I'll wear my rubber boots

Painted a mailbox next to the shed to store these items but just don't use them

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

FYI: i don't know what you all pay for your Atlas gloves but i was paying 8.00 a pair at ace. amazon has a 6 pack for 24.00 including shipping from an out source company...that's half for the mathematically impaired.

So how long do most of us manage to maintain a pair of Atlas gloves? I have several pairs jumbled up in a tub in the garage; I just pick up whatever's on top. I have yet to wear out a pair.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it depends on the amount of work in a summer, i think. i usually wear out one pair at least but the sand here cuts everything eventually, including the tips of gloves. i have a pair in the kitchen on top of the microwave. i use them instead of mitts to take hot plates out of the microwave....NOT good for oven work though.
i have a pair in the van for when i'm nursery hopping.
i have a couple of new pairs hanging in the garage. i use one pair until they're done-but i'm anal.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I work at a garden center, so my gloves earn their keep. The work ones last about a year on average; the others, much longer.

Good to know. I've had all sorts of cotton, nylon and leather (and several combinations of material) gloves in the past that wore a hole in one or more fingers within a few hard workouts in the yard. So I was starting to wonder how long these might last, since they're obviously much sturdier than what I've had in the past, epsecially with thinner gloves (which are wonderful :-)

So can someone recommend some equally wonderful rose gauntlets? Because I'm not sticking my arms in the bushes this year without a pair.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my leather gloves wore out much faster than the Atlas. hard to believe, but true.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Funny, I have a bunch of left gloves, 'cause I'm right handed, and the right ones always wear out faster. I was looking for gloves at work today, and found a drawer full of left gloves, too!
Any left-handers in need of gloves? LOL

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

No shoes, seldom hats, often I can't garden well in gloves so my nails are an issue. I'm a Bohemian Gardener.

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Just bought an 8 pack of nitrile gloves,exactly like my atlas pair, at Costco for $8.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Shorts, an old shirt.old shoes and socks. I use a carpenders apron to carry my small tools around in.I also have a cart and a wheelbarrow close by. My plants are all in large containers.
Vickie

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm a lefty KyWoods. I always have one glove worn more than the other. I've never paid attention to whether it's the right or left. I guess that I could switch with my oldest righthanded daughter. The youngest one is also a lefty too. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I use to garden barefoot, but then my feet looked too rough to wear sandals @ the office where I spend more time; unfortunately.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I like Atlas gloves too but have been using the 340's, I'll have to look for the 370's and see what they are. Nix on hats too, but will use a folded bandana as a sweat band, flip flops or tennis shoes if I'm doing shovel work. Our landscaping is quarter minus gravel, DH is a barefoot bandit but not me. I too got a bad sting once, but on my hand when pulling bermuda grass from under the Lady Banks hedge. That was one badddd sting. Don't know what critter but I try to always get some gloves before beginnning. Sun glasses for sure, I'm blue eyed.

And I also have more left handed gloves than right [sigh]. I've tried cutting the finger out of a good left glove and using in the worn out right [usually index finger]. It works but is a bit bulky.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Atlas 370 gloves, New Balance shoes with mostly mesh uppers that I throw in the washer and dryer with excellent results, wide brim hat with a tie down, loose cotton shirt, shorts unless I'm weed whacking, insect repellent, sunscreen, lip balm, and lots of water for me. I would prefer to leave off some of the above, but it's already been close to 100 degrees several days this week and the hot, dry wind blows hard every day in the center of Texas.

Kansas City, MO(Zone 6a)

No shoes for me, hate shoes! Besides, I think dirt & mud between your toes is a wonderful feeling & a little Mother Earth if you have a scratch, will heal it up in no time! :) When I'm clearing brush & trees I will wear tennies because of snakes & ticks (or if it's cold), along with jeans, a long sleeve shirt & a ball cap. Otherwise I wear shorts & a short sleeved t-shirt. I very rarely wear gloves-I fumble a lot wearing them. I'm one who needs to feel what I'm doing, although I will wear them clearing brush & trees. I'm a lot happier in the heat so that's when I'm out more...the hotter the better for me!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I, too, use Atlas 370 gloves. it's almost like you don't have them on!

http://www.theglovewarehouse.com/atlas-glove/atlas-nitrile-touch-palm-coated-nylon-gloves

On my feet I wear Burpee's gardening clogs. Mine are bright orange!

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/apparel/burpee-clogs-prod001304.html

Sometimes I wear a hat, but then my head starts to sweat, so I take it off.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bee, do those clogs have holes around the front of the toe area or are there only holes where I can see them in that picture? With the small gravel in our yard, the clogs I got at Target has too many holes that let the gravel in.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Mary - yes they have holes around the front. I think they would let-in the gravel - ouch!

They are comfortable, though. Sometimes I look down thinking I'm wearing slippers and see orange clogs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.