Large Pumpkins

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HOW'S IT doing these days? I have a watermelon vine blooming all sterile as early of course.
I miss the room to grow those big ole pumpkins and I too love those big ole leaves.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

everything is doing pretty good. Lost one plant to stump rot.
One pumpkin plant is about12 to 13 ft long. Waiting to pollinate. the 705 Lovelace pumpkin finally decided it was going to exist and took off running. I am starting a few more large pumpkin seeds for a fall pumpkin. It will take the place of the one that had stump rot. :(
Lost one of the sugar pie pumpkin plants to stump rot. Have a few sugar pies growing on the vine. they are so cute.
The crimson sweet that I have in containers all have melons. The carolina cross melons havent started blooming yet. They haven't reached the kick off stage yet. Planted 4 Giant North Carolina Cantaloupes.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the main is about 13 ft long. the first 5 ft of plant has good growth on one side,,,,,,, the second 5 ft of plant has good growth on opposite side. weird.
Had a lot of rain recently. I have to start feeding the plants more often cause it's all leaching out.

bare side
opposite side

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I've only been posting on facebook recently. Grandbaby was born May 27 and had to watch other grandbabies. Niece got married May 31. Had 10 teeth pulled yesterday so I had a lot of chores to catch up on before that.

giant green squash in 32 gallon. A few storms tore the big leaves. Made it a ramp so the main wouldn't break. It did crack a little long ways but not side to side so all is good so far. When the secondary vines touch the ground, they will be buried and fed.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Here is the giant greenie in the 15 gallon earthbox. Right now I only have to water it every 3 days. It has a healthy female getting ready to bloom. Pollination is hard to set in the heat. If it sets, I will be very lucky. The first female is only 5 feet out on the main but it might pollinate cause we are not so hot right now. I don't expect anything big from this plant. It is just fun.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Here is a Sugar Pie pumpkin growing in an earthbox.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

About the plant in the trash can. It is such a beautiful plant. I wish it was growing in the ground. I set the can on two boards so the bottom would be elevated off the ground a few inches so the bottom would get air but close enough to the ground that I was hoping roots would come out the bottom and take root into the ground. Soil was piled around the bottom to allow darkness except on one side for air. Hard to explain.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This is a pumpkin in the 50 gallon & is about 11 to 12 ft long. It has a female 10 ft out. The storms also tore the big leaves on it.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

time to go clean the mess the storms caused. have trash blown everywhere.

here is the 705 Lovelace.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well cricketsgarden; how ya doing, hearing it is about 100 or so degrees down your way.I imagine the pumpkins are a little unhappy with that .
I had two watermelons that tried to set,only with nights in the 50's they failed.Now after they have fallen off and no more little melons on the vines it is going to stay 70 degrees at night(go figure).Every time I miss optimum early melons I walk back from the garden either sighing or growling for ten minutes.
I never did get my sugar pie pumpkin planted and I have missed my window for that(sigh) ,next season.
As I am about done with some of my woes now, back to how is them-a -pumpkins? Are they-agrowin" right up to-ya and a sayin"howdy"

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The squash vine borers got my sugar pies but my growing season is long enough that i can start over and grow a couple in the big pumpkin patch shade structure to help keep the ugly evil things away.
Yep they are growing too well it seems. Vine tips were growing up into the air about 2 ft high during the day and falling over and breaking during the night. Too much nitrogen. One plant still has some hope. A main vine broke too doing the same thing.
Added a few hoops to the shade structure so I could walk in there better. The rain weighed it down and it just stayed in a sagging position.
The plants have massive leaves. They are so pretty.
Had lots of storm damage as well. It broke a lot of leaves but the plant still going and going. I finally have a female to pollinate in the morning but not sure if it will take due to high nitrogen and all the stem stresses. The node at the female developed a surface crack yesterday as the end of the vine was laying down . I had to cut the vine off just past the female to relieve the pressure and Hope that it heals itself. The female is very pretty.

1. the hoop additions----not pretty but better to walk under
2. the plant view before I put the extra support hoops in. and the plant vine on this end is the green giant squash that is growing in the 32 gallon
3. the female that opens in the morning

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

now........the giant green squash that is growing in the 15 gallon earth box is doing Great. It is very hard to get a green squash to pollinate even in the north...they are just picky plants. But guess what? When this green squash bloomed we got a cool spell with day temp at 80. it warmed up each day after that but the pollen germinated and we have a greenie growing BUT they normally abort before they are 10 days old......Technically have two days of nerves to go.
The greenie is 8 days old today and still growing great in my opinion considering that its growing in an earthbox and the day temps have been extra warmish. I am hoping that todays high and tomorrows high temps dont cause it to abort. The plant was only growing in the 15 gal earthbox up until the greenie squash was 5 days old..... I had so much hope for it that I started adding 2 gallon pots of soil under the leaf nodes to take root and draw up more water and nutrients.
I will show all pictures in order. I took daily pictures but I will try not to post them all.

1. Greenie bloomed and was pollinated with it's own males.
2 It had 6 lobes........ wow was wishing it was growing in the ground so it could grow bigger than what it will in that earth box.
3. 2 days after pollination (2 DAP)
4. 3 DAP

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

1. 4 DAP sitting on 2x4 plank
2. 5 DAP sitting on 2x4 plank
3. 6 DAP graduated to 2x6 plank
4. 7 DAP 2x6 plank
5. 8 DAP 2x6 plank

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Now for the plant pictures.

When the greenie was 5 days old, I added all these pots under the plant vines leaf nodes. (26 pots)

1. a big view
2. close view at 5 dap.
3. close view at 7 dap.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I moved the wood planks and put 2ftx2ft styrofoam insulation sheets 3 inches thick under her today and I measured her around from end to end so I will know if she is still growing by day 10 and there after. She measured 23 1/2 inches around this afternoon at 8 dap.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

wooow
I love to look at the pictures day by day !
Great job as usual !

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the Carolina Cross Watermelon in the garden has two melons that pollinated by bees a couple days ago but I didnt know they were there. They seem to be extremely slow at growing so I am not sure if that is normal or if the pollination did not take.???? Hubby does not want me to grow a giant watermelon. He wants several..........I am undecided. But the plant does have about 50 feet of vine growing right now. I have located a 3rd melon but i don't know when it will be ready to pollinate........I know nothing about melons and this is the first time paying attention to growth.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the giant north carolina cantaloupes are just now getting big enough to see good in pictures. They have been slow too but we did have that cool spell for a week so maybe everything will start doing some growing this week.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those all look just SUPER!!! Whether it is the big orange blooms of a pumpkin the way the melons develop I cannot say but there is just something about melons that make a garden seem right.... (must be that spiritual thing)
No matter how many years I have watched ,grown melons or wanted to,I never seem to have enough ,MORE ..MORE ....MORE. Nice , nice ,circket.... and it all looks so tidy and neat too, absolutely incredible!!!

Besides being astounded by the giants I agree the individual about them being delicious!!!!
WONDERFUL ...WONDERFUL ... WONDERFUL !!!!!! THREAD.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thanks juhur and drthor.

There is not very many people interested in melon growing. It takes up too much garden space so there is not a huge subject for it. It is a lonely hobby.
I still have the Carolina Cross plant growing in the 100 gallon container too. It has no females in site but it is still small. I think I want to grow several small melons on it and a giant on the one in the garden. Best of both worlds.

The greenie growing in the patch in the 32 gallon container keeps aborting the females. The temps are only going to get hotter so I think I am going to pull the plant and remove the container and sow a few sugar pie pumpkins in the space.

The pumpkin female with the cracked node bloomed this morning and I pollinated it with 6 males. She has 5 lobes= 4 large and one small. I will be pollinating a few more this week on the same plant but on different vines.

And the greenie growing in the earthbox is still shiny and still growing at 9 days after pollination. 25 1/4 inch round from end to end.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 4:19 PM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I forgot to mention the pumpkin in the 50 gallon barrel. The plant is not pretty but the pumpkin is growing fairly well. Not as well as I was hoping but that is due to the plant issues.

Bloom Day
6 DAP
7 DAP. today

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

CG, may I ask if you've routinely tape the female flower shut a day before pollination procedure, as well as the many males flowers that you used to pollinate the female in order to prevent cross polination from others? Those look really good.

Thanks in advance,
Kim

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

No. There are no bees in the Shade Structures where the pumpkins are growing. I know other insects might get in there and cross something but I havent seen other insects yet either. When I do close the pumpkin blooms, I use a string to tie the tips shut. I tie them shut also If there is rain in the forecast. I have grown pumpkins out in the open all the years before and I would tie the blooms the night before.
I was hoping to catch the carolina cross melon before it blooms again so I could put a netting mesh baggie on the males and females the night before they bloom. Their blooms are so small. The first two melons that pollinated totally caught me off guard. I didnt know it was ready yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well about not many being interested, I wonder if giant contests and pumpkin chunkin,might argue that ,but I agree. Of 6billion people I doubt that many would time or effort that of interest.
Tying pumpkin blooms closed with string!!!!!! My goodness,..... I could not be that delicate or dainty!!!!!
I did not know it took that many male blooms to ensure pollination,I had always been told two or thee was plenty.Soooo....Thanks for the tip and the lesson..

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

3 males is the average. 5 is better.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've missed my boat! I've one ornamental pumpkin vine that made 3 females flowers, they all aborted without my intervention. There are bees present. I'll need to learn how to pollinate quick! I'm so glad I've found your informative thread. Thank you CG for sharing your knowledge and joy of raising a garden full of healthy pumpkins.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

your welcome.

did you find out how to pollinate yet?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the greenie has aborted---no growth on day 11 or day 12.
really bites.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
did you find out how to pollinate yet?
CG, I think I've the concept down in my mind. But, haven't had the opportunity to put in practice, lol. No female flower found on the vines as of now. Sorry to learn the 'greenie' has aborted. Goodness, it took that long to decide it wasn't good enough. Or is that the earthbox'es influences?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If I had seen something that large abort,I would gasp,sigh, and wonder who poisoned or ate the stem! Sympathy to you there cricket,that is indeed a ("dern it!!).
Nice and positive that there is sugar pie,and more growing season!!! "more time to grow all stars"!!!

As for my vines,20th straight day without rain and me,I don't like to water.I have one good looking Orangeglo vine.Everything else looks like........yeah well,could use some better weather also.94 today it's only getting hotter, similar to your weather(.I find that somehow odd).

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

juhur7, whoa! 20th straight day without rain....!!! Wishing you some rain there. Yep, it's could be pretty hot down here, but we have had relatively mild spring. This summer is another story. At the meantime, I watched the bees working on my male flower, it really enjoying rolling in the pollens seems like.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Most tell me that if the pumpkin or giant squash makes it past 10 days then it will most likely make it. A lady up north says hers always aborted by day 9 and could never get a giant squash to grow. I won't be growing any more giant squash.

I just sowed more Sugar Pies and a few Jack-o-lanterns but I am growing them under the shade cloth away from the squash vine borers.

Watering. There are so many ways to save water in order to water garden plants so they dont die between rain falls.
Sometimes I run a lot of water in the kitchen sink while waiting for it to get hot. That's a waste isn't it. Milk jug helps out.
In the garden , I wait for the opposite. I run a lot of water out of the hose pipe waiting for it to get cooler so it doesnt burn the roots. I run that hot water into a 5 gallon bucket and use it the next morning after it has cooled off.
One 50 gallon barrel of rain water will water plants for a long while during a dry spell. Lots of folks run sprinklers in the garden and to me is a big waste. Just water the main trunk a few times a week. Let the rain cover the garden when it happens.
We haven't had rain in a little while. The grass is turning brown in some areas and some is wilting.
watering one cage of green beans a week is the same usage as flushing a toilet once. Pretend ............you had to go.

Nice Lily. gotta love the bees. Have you smelt the male blooms yet.........so lovely! No wonder the bees come running.

The pumpkin growing in the 50 gallon container is 11 days old, 27 1/2 inch cir. and weighs about 10 pounds.
I am totally surprised that it is still growing at a nice pace cause the plant doesn't have very many leaves and leaves feed the pumpkin.hmmm.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The female that I pollinated June 17th above.

1. 1 DAP
2, 2 DAP
3, 3 DAP
4. 4 DAP

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

here is one of the giant cantaloupe plants on this end.
and I sowed my sugar pie pumpkins in the 3 ft wide cages to save space. Let them climb the cage.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have tried some giants before,my gardens just not the place to try,Will wait for a few trees to grow some before I try again. To sunny in summer to grey in winter.
I t sprinkled for about two hours this evening ,not much, but sure is appreciated....and needed!!

Nice pic's cricket, always enjoyed,and waitng to see more even as you post your thread.This is truly great stuff!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well if this well television ,and this was the don't try this at home I would sure be in trouble.After watching a melon vine under a tree being about the only good vine and watching this thread, Crickets advice seems to have gotten to me:here's what I mean,This morning I did this?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This is what I meant.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What was the squash that aborted that you referred to as not growing anymore? as like a Dill's Atlantic, or did that actually say North Carolina giant squash? I have seen them referred to as either or as being Pumpkin or Squash.
Wondering......

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the squash that aborted.........giant green squash. I guess dills. If the color is green it is considered squash and if it is orange it is pumpkin. But the green looks just like a giant pumpkin.

I pollinated a watermelon yesterday. I had to use males from its own plant cause the other plant died.

Juhur, is that a giant melon plant or what? The shade structures looks great.

I know folks who shade the fruits with hay so the fruit doesn't scorch in the sun. Just a thin layer over the top. I plan to do that if I can get one to grow.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cricket , it's Kleckley 's Sweet and they refuse to pollinate so far,not giants but they get big. I don't have the soil deep enough is my guess of some of my problems so far.If I could get one to go 100pds I 'd feel like I grew a giant.
So far i have had three fails at pollination and there will be a couple of more females to attempt during the next couple of days.One has set there with a bloom for four or five days and hasn't opened yet.That's something out of the ordinary for me guess about.So far, growing large melons has been a guessing game for me anyway.I can grow the usual without much problem, the giants are a whole another story or happening

The problem is everything wants to wilt and scorch in the garden so far, its been sunny, and hot ,and dry , way beyond a usual season this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.