Daily pictures #96

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Dad was outside working today and snapped a few photos. Here's one of Gulf Frits making babies.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Then, he saw some caterpillars on my pipevine and DIDN'T TELL ME!! I'll go gather them up tomorrow. They're Polydamas Swallowtails by the way.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I've got 19 monarch cats.

I'm out of practice! Bought something called a Butterfly Habitat on clearance - a friend loaned one to me last season and I thought it was easier to deal with the smaller space. Now I have 3.

Cost a little more than a giant hamper at the dollar store (HA!) but for the convenience it may be worth it. Hope so!

http://www.backyardsafari.com/get-gear/butterfly-habitat/

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great pic, mellielong! I am so very new at growing for butterflies, but I'm having wonderful success with a recently acquired P. incarnata. I'm thrilled with all the little cats!

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

And then I found this little one today! Enjoying the Hummer feeder!

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

It's very nice to meet you all! I've so enjoyed reading your posts, and realize that there is SO much to learn! Happy Gardening All! :-)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome Tim! Don't be a stranger and feel free to ask all the questions you like. We have a bunch of great people on this forum who can answer just about anything (or find out from somewhere else). I like your pics, too!

Melanie

Red Oak, TX

Quote from Sheila_FW :
Dallas is going to aerial spray for mesquitos....I know you must be concerned Dale.

Yeah, Sheila, it's pretty much beyond stupid. About ten years ago I talked to the head of Dallas County Health and Human Services (after talking my way up the chain of command). I kept pointing out how completely ineffective spraying was against mosquitoes, the harmful side effects on non-target animals, the killing of natural mosquito predators, etc. After badgering her with facts she finally lowered her voice and admitted to me that it was pretty much useless but they had to do it to pacify the general public and that her hands were tied. Ugh! Yes, West Nile is a bad thing if you're unfortunate enough to get really sick with it (most don't), but in every case I've heard, the people did not use any precautions (spray, etc.) which is why they were bitten in the first place. Personal responsibility is the best defense. Thankfully, I'm south of Dallas by 20 miles and in another city who (so far) have no interest in spraying.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Red Oak, TX

And now, a positive post! Here's a White Peacock (Anartia jatrophae) caterpillar and adult butterfly. I caught a female White Peacock about a month ago down in the Texas Hill Country and have been raising a bunch of these guys. A really cool caterpillar and a beautiful butterfly.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Thumbnail by lepfarmer Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My feeling on the spraying also. I think the money would be better spent providing the products needed for personal protection to those who can't afford it and education.

That is a georgeous butterfly Dale!! The cat reminds me of the Pipevine in coloration only. Are they in our area at all?

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Boo on spraying. Yay on White Pecock and new cats.

I'm seeing a number of skippers now in my garden. What there is of it! LOL.

Fiery, Sachem, 3 and 4 are different species but I haven't figured out which yet. I though perhaps #3 was a little glassywing… just don't know. #4

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale, what are you raising the White Peacocks on? I've used bacopa before but I know they'll use frogfruit as well.

I went outside to collect caterpillars today. I found an egg on my rue and a small cat that looked like a Black ST. Unfortunately, I lost the cat whem I went to pick pipevine. I stood and stared at the ground for a long time but couldn't find where I dropped him. : ( I did pick the Polydamas off the pipevine and brought them in. I also have five Monarchs but I'm leaving them on the milkweed since they seem to be doing fine and I'm a little inundated with the other cats. My Giant STs are getting bigger and munching away!

Here's the Polydamas in their new home.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice pics!

Ms. Ed I love skippers. :)

Mel - eek! Polydamas. Am I out of their range? I'll have to look into distribution.

Brought in 5 more monarch cats tonight. That's 25 more than I had last year at this time!

The year before we had crazy numbers, but more towards September. I'm already crazy with them and I'm back to work. I text my BF during the day to check on the bugs when he comes home to let the dogs out. Glad I didn't plant senna this year. The sulfurs would have put me over the top. :D

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It's been a real bad season for Monarch's here in Michigan. Both my daughters collect cats and have the whole butterfly house setup to raise them to butterflies. Well out of about 30 cats this year, only 2 have made it to adulthood. Must be diseased. When they start to go into the chrysalis stage, the chrysalis will not form completely. You have half chrysalis and half cat and they just eventually die. Such a shame and really heartbreaking.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice pix on the White Peacock Dale, nice collection Mrs. Ed. and Melanie those Polies are promising, hope to see them in their beautiful attires soon. hemlady, sorry to hear the Monarch didn't do so well there. By far, I've not seen one in the garden. I've seen two orangist butterflies enroute home within a 50 miles traveling. I think those maybe migrating Monarch, but uncertain. At the mean time, I'm keeping my eyes peeled out for any sign of them in the garden. Most of my Milkweeds are setting out seeds, or nearly so.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I had a Monarch outside on the milkweed and he decided to crawl up the lanai screen and make his chrysalis. I was leaving it alone until today when I saw a bird pecking at the silk! Dad banged on the window and scared it off and then I went outside to bring the chrysalis in. The chrysalis is turning dark so I expect a butterfly within a day or two.

Saw a White Peacock outside today - haven't seen one in a while. Meanwhile, the Poly cats are still munching away and the Giant STs have molted again. Can't wait to see them all in their butterfly form!

Melanie

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Had this Monarch the other day!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Well it took me awhile to go through all the wonderful photos you've been posting. You sure have been busy.

Dale that Olive Hairstreak is really pretty.

BCH521, what a great collection of butterfly photos...so beautiful.

Viceroy had to laugh about the escapees.

Mrs. Ed, lily, yak, mel, nanny, tim, nuts, amanda, dale, shelia, BCH, and Viceroy...hope I didn't leave anyone out, but I just love the time you all take in posting your photos. I really do enjoy watching your butterfly raising.

Some visitors in my garden that I managed to capture with the camera.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful collection of the butterflies Sherri!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This thread is getting way too long so let's continue over here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276374/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.