How do I deadhead perennial dianthus?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Should I cut the whole flower stem off? Or cut it at a joint?

TIA
LAS

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Bumping this

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Cut it off at the base, where the flowering stem emerges from the basal foliage. That's assuming you don't want seeds, in which case, you could let them self-sow.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I usually take time and cut of all the spent blooms , They never reseed for me . I have made plants from cuttings, they grow very easy and comes up in spring in my garden. I have this plant for 12 years

Thumbnail by cytf
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from cytf :
I usually take time and cut of all the spent blooms , They never reseed for me .

Well, no, they wouldn't be capable of seeding if the spent blooms are being cut off.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Las, which dianthus do you have????? That will depend on whether to cut back to basil foliage or just deadhead. If only a spring bloomer...yes cut back to basil foliage. If an all summer bloomer deadhead to a joint for further bloom development.... If it's only an annual, definately clip it back, it should rebloom til frost.

Pix 1 is D. grationopolitanus or Cheddar Pinks, these only bloom lt. spring to e. summer, so cutting all the stem off is good and cleans up the plant making it look less ratty....
Pix 2 is D. x Loveliness(with Geranium Rozanne), an all summer bloomer, I either pinch or clip off the bloom for further development of blooms thru the whole summer.
Pix 3 is D. deltoides Zing, another only lt. spring bloomer, this one does reseed so I usually allow them to go to seed as to increase my patch....
Pix 4 is D. ?, took pix at a garden tour but this is another type that can bloom the whole season, so just nip of spent buds...and watch for further blooms thru the summer...

If it happens to be a continuous bloomer and you don't deadhead, usually the plant will cease prducing further blooms as it's spending it's energy developing seed. Hope that helps.. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Mine are Dianthus Desmond and Dianthus Inchmery. Definitely perennial. Don't know if only spring bloomer or all summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.