Ideas or Advice

Arlington, TX

Help! I am going away for almost two weeks and am trying to come up with a system to water 6 flower beds. No one to do it for me so soaker hoses, a timer and a 4 way splitter are all I will have. My main question is which works better the cheaper foam looking drip hoses or the flat ones? I suspect my areas will be too large and the hoses wont water the end areas well but I need to try something. How long can a hose be before it runs out of water at the end?
Cheryl

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

How large are your beds and how far away are they from the spigot? Everything will depend on this and how much water pressure you have. Take a look at the thread below on soaker hoses. Someone there added a resistor their setup to increase the water pressure. I set up one of those 4-spigot timers to work for 6 beds, but mine are all located relatively close together in the back yard of a small city lot.

#1 - 25 foot hose connected to a splitter, which divides to one 25 foot soaker hose and a 10 foot hose connected to another 25 foot soaker hose. < This sounds odd, but I added a small nursery around the side of the house for some new liners that aren't large enough for the regular beds yet.

#2 - 50 foot hose connected to a 50 foot soaker hose

#3 - 50 foot hose connected to a splitter, which divides to two 50 foot soaker hoses

#4 - 50 foot hose connected to a 50 foot soaker hose

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 2:15 PM

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I have the same problem, will be away from mid August until early September. I have extensive perennial gardens that will need help in this unusually dry summer. Years ago on Eastern LI I used the sprinkler type of hose instead of soakers, thought it covered a greater area and left fewer dry spots. Does anyone have experience with what's out there now?

Thanks, Pam

Bismarck, ND

I do drip irrigation along with soaker hoses and my only input is that my round "foam" hoses have had a tendency to spring tiny holes from time to time. I've found that using a pressure regulator in front of each soaker helps keep the hoses from doing this. I've also found that 2-25ft hoses are better than 1-50ft hose.

Arlington, TX

Mine did not work at all. Not enough pressure apparently. I ended up hooking up 4 sprinklers and will have to wait til I get home to see if they did the trick. One small bed will not be watered. Praying for rain in N. TX.
C

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> which works better the cheaper foam looking drip hoses or the flat ones? I suspect my areas will be too large and the hoses wont water the end areas well

You might need to run bigger mainline tubing from the spigot to the head oif all the beds, then make as short a run as possible from the mainline to the driplines or soaker hoses.

1/2 mainline tubing is 0.60" ID and has a max flow around 240 GPH.
3/4" mainline tubing is 0.83" ID, and can handle around 480 GPH.

As your total flow rate approaches those gallons per hour, there will be more and more pressure drop just in the mainlines.

Try removing any pressure regulator or filter, or move them to right near the driplines. If you regulate pressure AFTER the pressure drop in the lines, you can give more pressure to the driplines.

OR, only water one-two beds at a time. Maybe 3 in the morning and 3 when you come home. If multiple timers is too expensive or impractucal, you have to flip valves by hand. If you cut the total flow below 240 GPH or 480 GPH, there will be much less pressure drop in the main lines.

Add up the wtaer output from every hose and sprinkler in your sytem to figure how many GPH total you are trying to push from the spigot to your beds. How long? How far uphill? How big is your hose's ID ... or rtaher, what is the narrowest opening in any connector in the line from spigot to beds?

If your low pressure is just low at the spigot, or low becuase you have to run uphill, I can't help!

I'm just strating out myself, but from what I read, hard water WILL clog soaker hoses. Dripline or T-Tape seems to be what pros and farmers prefer. Sprinklers probably throw more water at low pressure than any kind of dripper, soaker, mister or sprayer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images