Dany's MGs 2012 # 2

szarvas, Hungary

A grey .... Q 1221 from Kyushu :

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Just amazing!

(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dany, your information about sterility among youjiros is very useful. Have you ever noticed any differences between nils and youjiros with respect to vigor of the vine or profuseness of the flowering or any other differences?

Love the Q1221 from Kyushu - a lovely smoky lavender-gray indeed

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Pretty blooms Dany. Love the orange flower.

szarvas, Hungary

Thanks everybody !
Karen, yes they make large plant ..... in memory of their ancestors purpurea!
Here is a gray with a cross :

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Another gray .... but not exactly the same !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Large flower with a soft lilac with white dots.

szarvas, Hungary

One of my MG garden .... 120 containers :

Your gardens and blooms are beautiful!

Gautier, MS

Really amazing garden & blooms. Enjoying seeing all your blooms.

Love all your blooms Dany. How nice to have that many in bloom. Your lvs look healthy too.

(Zone 7a)

I love the way you took those pictures with the sun just hitting the garden - all very splendiferous - thank you

szarvas, Hungary

When it's individual flowers I always take in the shade ... a flower look purple in the sun and blue in the shade !

Those one in the shade are superbe ! Some flower are totally King Blue, other are blue with shadows .... large flowers .... no picotee !

szarvas, Hungary

This one is smaller; more shadows and small picotee.

szarvas, Hungary

Other new cultivars of today !

(Zone 7a)

Dany, I don't know and my computer does not do Asian characters.

However, in my ignorance, I can guess "how to get the 'Plasma Ray Flow' effect". On those last 3 links you just posted from Yoneda's examples of ray flow, toward the top of the page, the interspecific hybrid was spelled out:

(I. nil (Africa) x I. purpurea (flaked)) x I. nil

Sooooo - since the youjiros we have already contain the flaked purpurea, we could try crossing our youjiros with nils with different kinds of blizzard, flake, fleck, etc. patterns and see what comes up in F3 and keep crossing those results with each other and hope that eventually a ray flow pattern appears.

--------------------------------
But, Dany, if you have the flower exhibiting the plasma ray flow effect as shown in your first link, then you already have the pattern among your morning glories.

-------------------------------
So, with regard to your question here: "Where is the key ?... Which cultivar ? ... Chance... only ?"

Are you asking me to explain where the ray flow pattern comes from? My guess is that the ray flow pattern is in the genes of the flaked purpurea that many of us have been growing out in this forum and that Dr. Yoneda used to cross with the African nil that eventually yielded the youjiro which we also have been growing out in our gardens.

I think chance is what we see on the surface, but that scientific laws of cause and effect, which we often only know of through deduction, underlie surface effects. But this is only observation and opinion on my part, no proof one way or the other.

I'll bet you already knew everything I just said lol Do you want to ask the question in a different way? Maybe I can guess in a different way lol

Pretoria, South Africa

Dany, your flowers are absolutely beautiful!

szarvas, Hungary

Hey ! Elsa is back !

Karen , I ask this question because I don't know how it work ! The first picture is not mine .It comes from the forum at the University of Kyushu - this forum does not exist anymore! Sniff ... Sniff!

(I. nil (Africa) x I. purpurea (flaked)) x I. nil = F3 = MG with Plasma Ray Flow .
(I. nil (Africa) x I. purpurea (flaked)) = Youjiro
Youjiro X I. nil = F3 = MG with Plasma Ray Flow .

The mystery is this last ipomoea Nil used to produce the F3. I made dozens of crossing with Youjiro .... like everyone else on this forum .... and never got Plasma Ray Flow effect.
Emma has some MG with Plasma Ray Flow , .... she has created it or has she received it? we can recreate the experience or the chance counts for a lot!

I would create the 'five pieces of Cake' MG by crossing these two cultivars lol ! :

szarvas, Hungary

Or that flower with these cultivars should provide new types.

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

For Plasma Ray Flow ... a track : http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/PCD2521/htmls/49.html
Maybe this is a type of flower that appears from time to time but that is not reproducible by seed!

Here Fuji no Monet ... it's not blizzard ... but something else !

szarvas, Hungary

A New for today :

Gautier, MS

Pretty neat blooms on your no Monet Dany. Are those blooms from your crosses? I love the baby blue with blizzard too.

Wow, they are all so pretty. Those last pictures are a very pretty blue!

Love the soft blues.

szarvas, Hungary

MG with philodendron variegated leaves .... very large leaves ... till now no flower !

szarvas, Hungary

Here ' yoi no tsuki ' ... really dark blue with white throat .
Sometime some clear veins .... or some flower can be a lighter shade .

Gautier, MS

The leaves on those vines are gorgeous Dany. Beautiful 'yoi no tsuki', I favor the last one though.

Wow, I have never seen a leaf that big or beautiful! Love the blue almost purple flowers also!

Pretoria, South Africa

Dany,

Words can't do your flowers justice... beautiful!

Great blooms Dany. Love your variegated leaves

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Exquisite! Outstanding!
Thank you for posting!
-Nick

szarvas, Hungary

Is it Plasma Ray Flow .... or must I work a little more ..... much more !

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

This is the equipment that you need to make MG hybrids .
+ ..... a lot of imaginations !
Imagination often starts when I see a flower different from other flowers. Example, today I found this flower .
So I imagine the possible crosses.

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

My favorite cultivar of these days.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

So lovely! The purest blues and whites are always my favorites.

Gautier, MS

Awesome blooms Dany as always!

Looks like Plasma Ray Flow to me, lovely.

(Zone 7a)

Ditto Patootie - I see ray flow in there, too.

Dany, I would be curious to see what kinds of offspring you would get with crossing this flower with each of the different kinds of blizzard, which are said to be dominant to the recessive solid pattern (there are exceptions to this).

But, I would also be curious to see if the recessive nature of the solid MG pattern would somehow enhance the ray flow pattern in a cross.

And what about those MGs with variegated leaves? Do variegated leaves somehow link to certain characteristics in flower patterns?? I wonder how this might play out with ray flow???

I can't wait to see what your F3 does :)

Thanking you for a most intriguing thread,
karen

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I love the variegated foliage, but find the blossoms are usually inferior. Wouldn't it be lovely to find brilliant interesting, abundant blossoms AND nice variegated foliage?

The hummingbirds don't seem very interested in Heavenly Blue but the swallowtail butterflies sure do. Anyone need any horseradish, it's taking over my raised bed garden......... also the rhubarb has really multiplied.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.