A Masochistic Cat??

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I have a real problem. I have 2 cats, one of which loves to be mauled by my dog which is an over 70 lb. golden lab, 9 or10 month old pup. They started out playing, and we thought it was cute. I is not cute anymore. It is very rough.

The cat literally taunts this dog, daring her to get her and then just lies there while the dog mauls her. They are both spayed females, so I don't believe it is sexual.

I cannot stand to see it, and I spend all my time yelling, or going after them to break it up. But, the cat is right back at the dog, throwing herself at it.

I googled "Is it possible I have a masochistic cat"? And I got a resounding, "YES", even with Youtubes of cats being "abused" and loving it.

I suggested finding another home for the cat, or taking it back to the Pet Rescue where we got her, but my DH refuses to discuss that. We are both very fond of the cat.

What to do???

(Zone 7a)

Is that cat being injured by the dog? You never said, so I am assuming not. If she isn't, then I wouldn't worry about it. If she is, then I suggeest separating the 2.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 12:23 PM

Comment removed !!!!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2012 12:27 PM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Actually, I am afraid the dog is going to learn that this is the way you treat all animals. The dog is playing, she thinks. The cat doesn't fight back, just takes it. Lets the dog maul her. In response to kwanjin's question, not yet. I am afraid she will be. The dog is so heavy and she puts both feet on the cat with the cat lying on it's back. Right on her stomach.

Sometimes after one of these bouts the cat moves very slowly like she is so sore (hurts?) she can't move. I know, 'cause I feel the same way sometimes after working hard in my yard.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I think you have a VERY valid concern. Would you consider doing some clicker training with both of them to change the behavoir to one that is safer? I'm not a trainer - but I bet there are trainers here who could help. The cat needs to stop teasing the dog and the dog needs to stop playing roughly with the cat. I think that the dog would be easier to train to "leave it" or "stop that" or "good kitty sister" something that gets a reward when she ignores the cat and comes to you. And kitty needs to be distracted when she starts teasing the dog with something else to do - don't treat her or she will think that teasing the dog gets her a treat! (They are so devious that way!)

I suggest that you look at Jackson Galaxys website for help. He is an amazing cat behaviorist and has worked with "bi-petual" households. You can watch his work on Animal Planet on Saturday nights - at 8 pm - I think.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Whatever you do, do not declaw the cat, it's inhumane and cruel - it's their only defense and what IF the cat got out - there is a very good reason rescues and breeders make you sign a contract for no declawing - imagine you having your nails and first part of your fingers cut off and removed - the pain they experience afterwards 'can' lead to other issues, such as not wanting to use the litter box (hurts then they dig) - my best advice is teaching the dog to not play so rough with the kitty, remove the dog from the cat and the situation - teach verbal command such as "leave it" - if the cat keeps attacking the dog, grab the cat and move to another room...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

First of all, I have no, and never did have any intentions of declawing the cat. Never entered my mind. She is not hurting the dog. We did try to stop the dog when she was first starting to try to play with the cat because I was afraid the cat might just catch her in the eye with her claws.

Trying to catch them when they are going at it is impossible. They run, the cat gets away and the dog is right after her. I can try, but do not hold out much hope. The cat GOES outside. She is not a housecat. I know, the Rescue told me their cats were definitely house cats. Not this one. She hates the litter boxes. I have 2, and we keep them clean. She hides by the door whether you are coming in (she hears you coming) or going out and is so fast. As soon as the door is open a crack, she is out there. Once in a while we can stop her.

The dog is more a house dog also because of predators like cougars etc. The coyotes send one animal down to try to coax her to go "play" and the rest are hiding in the rocks or trees. This dog is a pup, even tho she is a big one, she is not a streetwise dog. She has a crate where she sleeps in the house. The trainers all say not to use the crate as a punishment or I would put her in there when she and the cat go at it.

Do you know even when the dog is in the crate that cat walks by it back and forth taunting her.

I will look at Jackson Galaxys website as you suggest, however distract the dog??? That is not possible. It's a one track mind at that point. The only way they stop is when one, or both, get tired. The cat goes upstairs and the dog craps out on the floor.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

^_^ - I didn't mean you, but it was suggested by someone else :) I hear ya on one-track mind, our mastiff Sammie alternates between chasing and ignoring - they however, are too fast...:-) Maybe use the crate as a time out? Not a punishment, but place to chill out? I had to use ours quite a bit with Sammie right before he got neutered, he was pretty much out of control and raging hormones, so he used to work himself into a frenzy. Have you tried a water spray bottle? It's the only way to get my feral kitty off the kitchen table ^_^

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry Bec_No_Va, I misunderstood.

You know, I have thought about the water pistol. But remember when a friend was using one on his cat and the cat got back at him by peeing on his folded clothes just out of the dryer. Never wanted one since.

I am thinking about the laser pointer that Jackson discussed. I am wondering if that might just get some attention. Where do you get those things? Maybe direct both the dog and cat into doing something else. Would take a lot of patience for a while.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

You should be able to pick up a laser light pretty much anywhere - HD, Lowes, petstore etc. IF the cat/dog likes a laser you 'might' be able to divert their attention - I would still use the spray bottle, it's worked like a charm for me (on all my cats) & no 'retaliation' :-) Freya KNOWS what's gonna happen once the bottle comes out and she runs away, all it took was a couple of well-aimed shots and she 'got it'

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, I will try to get both. They are both worth trying. I really do enjoy both animals. Actually, I got 2 cats at the same time. The other cat is very shy. Loves to be petted as long as her feet are on the floor. She will not allow anyone to pick her up, and will not sit on your lap. We got them both at the same time. She will have absolutely nothing to do with the dog. Spits and fights. They look alike, I thought from the same litter. But, now I think the shy one was a Ferrel but not the other.

Actually, I think we found out the shy one was a male. Not sure why LOL I have always considered him a her. LOL, just acts like a little girl I guess. I being sexist?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Jnette if just water does not work, place a little vinager in the spray bottle it will not hurt them but will get their attention, you can adjust the amount of vinager up as needed. It is better a little discomfiture that one of your pets get hurt
Good luck

Phoenix, AZ

Another vote for a spray bottle! My sons Boston Terrier was a nightmare with my daughters cat. My son tried everything. One day I came over with a spray bottle. As soon as the cat came in the same room as Chuck (Boston) he went nuts going after her. A firm "no" and 1 squirt from the spray bottle and Chuck freaked out and FROZE. He had no idea what happened. We all just stood there stunned, LOL. The cat looked a Chuck and swished her tail and pranced right by him. It was hilarious. No problems after that. If it looked like Chuck was about to get squirrely all we had to do is pick up the spray bottle and he went on his way :) They actually got along after that.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees Thumbnail by Fish_knees Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, since the cat is taunting the dog and the dog is falling for it hook, line and sinker, which one do you use the spray bottle on?

both, If you can catch the cat in time then her but if not then the dog

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, we'll get them today. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jen, I could not get get Cecil, the male schnauzer puppies to leave thing alone on Vern's side of the couch. One night he was bugging me and I took out some Vick and spread some on my side of the couch. Bingo, would not go near it. Did the same thing with Vern's side and it also worked there. Does not take much but he is a small dog.

The schnauzers before the puppies would bark at the greenbelt fence when someone was walking in the area and I would spray them with a squirt gun. They never could determine where it was coming from but they would stop.

Good luck, Sharon

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, we picked up a couple of those laser pointers to direct their attention, and also a couple of squirt guns. We'll see.

It will take time. Just remember that they must not be left together when you are not there

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

They never are. If we leave for a short time and don't take Candy with us, due to the hot weather, and not wanting to leave her in the car, she is in her crate. At night, she is in her crate by 8:30 or 9.

We would NEVER leave here with Candy in the house loose. LOL, Wow, I can just imagine.

Tonight we couldn't find the cat. Figured she was outside hunting and did not want to come in. Well, Bob went in to go to bed a bit ago and she was locked in the bedroom all that time. He had really wanted to try the new gadgets. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Madison, AL

Are laser pointers safe to use around pets? I thought there was a danger to the eyes if inadvertantly hit there? How do you use them for training?

as long as you do not point the laser into their eyes it is ok.

Jnette I have the same problem with my Demon child when we are gone. He has to be locked out of most of the house or we come make to a mess!!!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, I used both of them, and the dog loved the laser, and no, I don't think there is a danger. You just be careful and don't point it at the eyes. She is too intent on the floor where the dot is going. I put it on her paws and she grabbed them. LOL, not hard.

Anyway, the upshot of tonight was that the cat is really ticked off at me and the dog is moping around like she lost her best friend. Now what??

They will get over it

have you tried cat nip toys for the cat? There are interactive toys for cats, that would give her things to do

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, the dog ripped it apart. I had catnip all over the floor and so much for the cat's toy.

What I said about the cat being mad and the dog moping was about the squirt gun. That is what stopped them last night.

(Zone 7a)

Like Wren said, they will get over it when new habits are formed.

you need to try to replace the stopped behavior with behavior you want. yes I know that can be hard-I live with a demon child of a dog. I had to get 3 pet gates and a locking trash can-he can get into the trash can easier than my mother can and 2 of the gates he can jump if we are not in that room.
Plus if the 3rd which is to tall for him to jump is not locked he can open it. It is hard to live with a overly smart dog.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

My gosh, what kind of dog is he?

With the dog I use the laser pointer after I squirt them to stop them. The dog goes crazy for it. The cats, I have 2 and tried them both, are not interested in the pointer at all. Strange animals.

Andre is a Belgian Tervuren one of the smartest breeds out there. He is my 3rd one, I thought I know what I was getting into but I did not know!!!!
Andre is super smart , very active but in a couple of ways not a normal Terv. They should be reserved with strangers but only once has he thought some one was strange. He loves everyone, went out one day and he was playing ball with the UPS driver.
Living with a Terv is like living with a Hyper active, Intelligent, mischievous 2 year old and they never grow out of that stage.

Thumbnail by wren107 Thumbnail by wren107 Thumbnail by wren107
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wren, great description. Sound a little like me. My cat loves the laser and it just puzzles the puppies.

Our cat, Izzy, is the instigator. She sneaks up on the puppies when they are sleeping. Today Emma, the female schnauzer puppy got Izzy's tale and started running away with the tail in her mouth. Izzy did not like that at all and let Emma know about it. They guys make me laugh out loud every day. Sharon

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wren, I don't know that I would like living with a 2 year old that never grows up. I keep waiting for this Candy to grow up, but have more than a year to go. I always figured that 2 years was an adult with a dog.

Better watch out Sharon, you might end up with some animals like I have. My cat taunts Candy unmercifully. I just hate it. I just know she is going to be hurt since Candy is a pup and doesn't know when enough is enough.

Tervurens are normally fairly adults at 3-mentally any way before that they are a trip, I joke that before their brain is not completely wired up and it just rattles around in their heads. Most do stop some of the "puppy" behavior by 3 but Andre did not.
It is fun living with one but you have to be able to out think them and be able to move fast.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I went back and looked at his pictures again. He is a beautiful dog. He actually looks like he is posing for the camera. How old is he now?

he is 7 now and yes he is posing for his picture, I not sure why but he likes me to take his picture. I think it is because he wants me to focus on him and not the plants.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, you could be right.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, the squirt gun only lasts as long as I am squirting them. But, the dog now expects the little red dot to appear so she can chase it each time after she gets hit with the water. LOL she loves the laser pointer. Neither cat cares a bit about it.

They get more of a kick out of watching the dog make a fool of herself chasing the red dot.

(Zone 7a)

And are the rough playing anymore?

Sounds like you have a start on the right track.
Add a little bit of vinegar in the spray bottle

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, more outside where I can't see what's going on. When they come in the house and try it, they are more hesitant to do that. What would the vinegar do?

a little bit of a sting to the eyes(will not hurt them) and the smell mostly. It is better a little sting than one of the get hurt. You can increase the amount of vinegar slowly, until you find the amount that will work best

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.