surprise and memory issues

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi , I was out in my garden today and in amongst the bee balm was this little beauty , no foliage but it must be an amerilus (sp) of some sort anyone recognize it I have a vague recollection of planting and seeing a plant there but it never flowered for several years I thought it was a fritillaria ( sp ) it has made it through several new england winters so I am baffled any guesses ?
laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, you lucky creature, it is, appropriately a surprise lily, a lycoris sprengeri.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/58528/#b

How completely delightful. I've always wanted to grow it.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks donna , now I have to figure out if I should leave it where it is or give it more special spot it has literally been there for years but never flowered
what do you think

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have been reading up on this. Sometimes they are in for years and don't bloom. Some bloom annually.

I think that you may simply have finally hit upon the conditions that they like. I would be hesitant to move it unless you must.

What do you think?

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 1:53 AM

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

They do not like to be moved, so newly planted ones may take a few years to flower, however the more you plant the more likely it is that some will flower sooner.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes, mine definitely didn't like being moved.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I will move some of the bee balm and leave it where it is . I must have bought it at the flower show or tower hill's fall plant sale lol don't remember !

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That sounds like a good plan.

Solon, IA

Donna--I've got enough of these to share, drop me an email if you would like a few. Might not get dug up until next spring, the ground around here is very similar to concrete just at the moment, and these aren't in an area that has been watered.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Whoo!

Isn't she GREAT???!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My neighbor has a bunch of them in bloom now. Which makes it clear that my soil and water will work.

This is fun. I just mailed a bunch of alliums to a DGer. Passing around the goodies from my garden is fun!

Tiffin, OH(Zone 5a)

Your Surprise Lily is also known as "Naked Ladies" or as some from the south would say "Nekkid Ladies". According to Lewis Grizzard the southern difference between Naked and Nekkid is "Naked means you have no clothes on but Nekkid means you ain't got no clothes on and you up to sompthin'"
... that quote always makes me giggle!!
Ahem! Back to "serious" gardening discussions-I guess they are considered "naked" because the long strappy foliage comes on in mid spring then withers away to nothing and later the lilies pop up with no foliage at all-thus naked! They are a large bulb so be careful to dig out a ways around them to avoid damage. MWhit

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

love that little piece of southern wisdom ! MWhit and thanks for the tip on not digging to close to them . I am going to move the beebalm away from it but that should be easy since its roots pretty much sit on top of the soil I think I will mulch it with beach stones so I will remember where it is ! I think its last flower has opened and it still looks beautiful . Now if the heat / humidity would just let up so I can get out there ! its miserable
laura

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

These are in the amaryllis family and do not like to be planted very deeply. In fact, when I planted mine, I left the top eexposed. Luciee {;^) PS: spider lillies are in the same family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images