Time to call Dad

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It time for my usual call to Dad. Sometimes I could use some encouragement.

Sometimes I feel sad I can't be there (seven hour drive away, my own household to keep up with) He is sad not to be able to do more, or have much to tell me from his end (limited activity) I guess this is one of the days when it seems more sad than usual. Not much can be expected to change for the better, or only very slowly (he might regain some energy and strength yet but with poor eyesight, self therapy becomes more difficult, doesn't it?)

I know that a sad phone call is certainly nothing to complain about given others' heavy "backapcks full of stones." Then again, others have their sad phone calls, and it helps to know we are not alone.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 12:02 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is some advice from a friend. It may be useful to someone:

"Having topics prepared really works! "I read something last week..., did you hear on the news... At the supermarket the other day I saw....
i am having trouble in the garden with...my washing machine went nuts....do you know what a jar of peanut butter cost mr..... what do you think about green for a ....

It not only provides subject matter, but takes the attention from worries. My sis says long after the call she still muses over a story or a plight or problem and so I know that the mini vacation from self focus is so helpful to her and it makes me worry less about her spirits and not dread my phone call with her. As a matter of fact i think the calls sometimes are looked forward to.
I hope this has given you ideas. When one of us is gone - those times spent on telephone will be treasured or at least not a source of regret."

And, I have since realized that with someone who is alert, but vision challenged like my Dad, going over some daily news could be super. My sister visited and did a crossword with him. How did I never think of that?

Dad passed away in October. I know he appreciated my calls, and wish I could have been more generous with them. That's just something to deal with. It's hard to make choices in our own lives about time and energy spent with various things.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Wonderful suggestions, Sally. I am sorry for your loss.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images