Lighting recomendation needed

Alum Bridge, WV

I'm moving to a new house 50 miles away after 22 years in my present house. I now use shop lights for my plants and the results aren't altogether what I would like but my tubes are old and need replacement. Since I am moving should I take advange of the situation to change my lighting ?

Any recommendations? Be specific please.....I grow mostly sinningias but have other gessies too.

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Vadis,

I still use shop lights for my plants, but when I bought them a few years ago, I went with the new thinner flourescent bulbs. I believe the size is referred to as T8. They have a daylight spectrum and produce a great amount of light for a skinny bulb. I am extremely impressed and my electric bill is noticeably lower. The only downside is that you would need to purchase new shop lights specifically for that size bulb. They are the same size and configuration as the older shop light fixtures. Hope this helps.


(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I do not have personal experience with them,but many growers have also switched to the T5's.They are much stronger and only need to be ran about 7 hours a day.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Use the shop lights but replace the tubes once a year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

    You may upload up to 5 images