Squirrels relocating your daffs?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have always use daffs to repel rabbits and voles, and it has always been successful, because daffodils are poisonous. We didn't have squirrels in the community I moved from, so it was never a problem there. But in my new yard, especially with so much planting, I have learned to use freshly ground black pepper on newly turned earth to repel squirrels.

But when I moved to my new home, I didn't bother to "pepper" the daffs I put in late last fall to protect against them.

So imagine my surprise when I tilled my front parkway, and turn up several daffs that have been buried by the squirrels. They don't eat them - they just relocate them. It was nice of them to bury them such that they weren't damaged. And, come to think of it, I have found several daffodil bulbs sitting at the surface of the soil, and wondered what the deal was. They are perfectly undamaged - but wow are they in bad places!

So if you are putting in ANY bulb, including poisonous ones like daffs, give a few turns of a black pepper mill over the spot. The pepper must be fresh to be effective.

Donna

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Donna,
That's funny. We have a grey squirrel that visits our yard. He plants acorns in my potted plants.
We also have a pair of wood rats that nest in our barbeque. We've tried everything to keep them out but nothing seems to really work except leaving the top open.
I suppose my husband will be attempting to "tape" mesh over all the holes again with the weather changing. They are cute little critters, you open the lid and they stop moving "we can't be seen if we don't move".

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, yes, the acorns in the pot. Sometimes they come and do it in teams. The oak isn't in my yard - it's in the neighbor's. Occasionally they check my cucumbers to see if they like them. One bite - no, I don't like this. The problem is that there is more than one squirrel, and they test in succession. Can't they leave each other notes?

And yesterday, on my stripped parkway, I saw a squirrel trying to bury something. An acorn? A daffodil? He stopped moving and watched me over his shoulder. Do I Bury it? Do I not?

I must confess that they really are cute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images