Dancing beads, would anyone know..

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Would anyone know what type or size of wire I would need to make this. It is out of stock at the company and I thought
I could make it. It's quite pretty and does look easy to make. (I think) I just need to find the right wire.
Thanks.

http://www.gardeners.com/Dancing-Garden-Jewels/DecorativeAccents_Statues,38-200,default,cp.html

Lorena, TX

the site says stainless steel wire....I would think any of the hardware or even Hobby Lobby could advise you....take your beads and try them!

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Union Grove, WI(Zone 5b)

Hey .. you live right near me! (I'm in Brighton) I would try Mennards, they have all sorts of wires. I find Mennards to be much cheaper than home depot or the craft stores, plus if you go to the one in Burlington you can stop at Adrian's for frozen custard :-)

Looks like you'll need a rod too and some sort of clamp to hold the bouncy wires to the rod? Probably can find at Mennards too. I know I've seen copper wire there. In theory I bet you could us think piece of plumbing pipe and solder the wires and fancy top to it, that could be cool (of course the copper would get that patina to it over time)

Regarding the size of the wire, would think it needs to be something that holds weight of the beads without falling flat but still has a 'bounce' to it. Also if you already have the beads, bring a couple with as you'll want to make sure the wire fits through the hole of the bead (and if you don't have the beads, bring a bit of the wire with when you go get them!).

Good luck!

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Good suggestions. You're really thinking there :) Copper would be best, as I like the patina it gets.
I'll look for the wire when I am there today. Thanks, Chrissy.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Look on ebay also but price it at hobby stores first as sometime you get a great deal and sometimes not. I found spools of stainless on there and will try to check hobby lobby today.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Hobby Lobby had some short pieces. About 10" long. I need to find some longer. Menards had some wire but it was not strong enough. Farm & Fleet didn't have what I need. The hobby shop that was here closed down awhile back. Nothing at Home Depot. I will have to find it online.

Thanks for all the help.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, you might want to look for Memory Wire at Michaels craft or Joanns. They usually have coupons online. I think that they are using the necklace size.
This wire has Major tencil strength, so the more sturdy wire cutter and round nose plier would help.
I use this to make chokers and matching bracelets..then use the special end caps for the wire..as can get pokey.
Good luch.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Post photos of your dancing garden jewels so we can awww at them.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Reminds me of the wire we use to make wire leaders for hooks in fishing with gator gar in our area, lots of tensile strength.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

I would love to post pictures of MY dancing garden jewels, but I am still looking for the wire. Got busy with other things. The picture of it looks small, but it is about the size of an umbrella. I'll have to look at the Memory wire
at Michaels and see if it will work, but I was thinking more of # 12 copper electrical wire. Something that will
hold its shape.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Bought this at a craft fair. This looks like the wire I would need. This fish is so ugly its cute!!!

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs Thumbnail by crazy4brugs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images