put your thinking caps on!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

DS and pregnant DIL moved into new rental today. The kids room is just awful!! Black and red painted pictures on the wall. It's on wallpaper, and since it's a mobile home, the wallpaper is glued to the sheetrock. There are quite a few small bad places, holes, nicks, etc.
SOOO, we need a solution to cover this mess up. I tried Kilz, but it still bleeds through. What about plaster? If we used plaster, could you put nails in it to decorate? It has to be something textured, and wallpaper would be way too expensive, considering the walls aren't perfect.
It's to be a little girl's room, so keep that in mind, butterflies, birds, something gardening is what they were going to do.
help!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Tig, if you have the time and patience, yes you can put a skim coat of joint compound or plaster over this mess. But a large bucket (about 40-50 lbs) for an average-size room. Thin it with water to help it dry faster, but don't get it too thin, or it'll be sloppy.

If the wallpaper was vinyl and/or the paint has a gloss or semi-gloss finish to it, I would recommend that you go over it with a palm sander or a wallpaper scoring tool to rough the surface up and give the plaster something to cling to.

Two coats of Kilz *should* block just about anything, but it's probably about an even draw to do two coats of it vs. a skim coat of plaster, plus a light sanding. If you go the plaster route be sure to prime the walls before painting. You can have them tint the primer the same shade as the paint color, which will help get you to finish coat a little faster.

I'd suggest doing some sort of sponge/rag treatment, which will be more forgiving if the plaster doesn't perfectly cover the wallpaper seams and/or your sanding job isn't perfect. Light blue with whitewash for a hazy, gauzy cloudy effect, or a rosy pink with cream to white glaze sponged over. Either way would be pretty for a girl, and could be stenciled over with butterflies, flowers, lady bugs, lightning bugs, whatever ;0)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

just what I was thinking, but wasn't sure what to use!! thank you:) I'll probably go out and get it tomorrow, and get them started. thanks so much!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oops, one more question. Can you put this on smooth? are you talking about using a roller or something? I had thought the only way to use plaster would be with a trowel or something, and you're talking smooth and thin.

tiG, you'll want some decent joint compound tools. I would buy a 3" plastic "putty knife" to stir and scoop with, then a decent stainless knife that is at least 8" and probably 12" wide (the longer the better, but I have small hands, and find I can control an 8" knife better and get better results than when I use one of the longer ones.)

Any home improvement section will have these tools - spend a few minutes looking around and talking to a clerk on pros/cons of each kind. You can buy a trough to put your putty in, but I don't think they're necessary. You will also need some sanding tools. They make a long-handled, swivel head tool that's kind of like a "Swiffer" but uses mesh screen. We bought one for the last house we built to finish the walls (it's handy when you've got high ceilings which we did.) For such a large job, you may find one of these useful. You'll definitely want several of the small fine/medium sanding sponges (they fit in the palm of your hand, made by 3M). They work great and can be rinsed out and used over and over.

Many of the plaster products will try to tell you that professionals "wet sand" drywall. I don't think that's true, and I couldn't get a good finish with wet sanding. Dry sanding is messy, but you get a better finish.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

putty knife, putty knife, it wouldn't come to me for anything!! LOL!! thanks so much:) I appreciate all the time you put into helping me out:)

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey tiG; if you do decide to make a smooth wall finish by sanding be sure to keep the door closed to the rest of the home. Also if there's any furniture in the room that you're working on cover it. The dust from the sanding goes absolutely everywhere. Be sure and cover any furnace registers too. You'd be surprised where all the dust goes to. And the sponge/rag finish sounds very pretty to me. And here's a thought..there's these little wallpaper things called "wallies" that come in many many different decorations. They are extremely simple to put on and are adorable. Good luck!! :)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Tig,The plaster thing seems like alota work.I'd do the kilz thing them prime and then sponge paint.I do sheetrock and its alota work!!!Painting is so much easier

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

We were not allowed to paint , paper or anything in a rental we had years ago. I solved the problem by wallpapering large sheets of cardboard and Tacking them up with upholstery tacks. When we moved I simply removed the tacks and took them down again. We did this in the nursery too for my grand daughter. As she grew we simply changed the paper to a fabric and Changed the decor in a couple of hours.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

let me ask ya, the latex kilz doesn't seem to be covering very well, I know the oil based is much better. Can you use latex paint over oil based kilz??
oh, and I did the plaster thing in our bathroom and it is a ton of work, but I just love it!!!!!!!!!!! Put it on with a putty knife and it is the most gorgeous room in my whole house:)

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

tiG- I'm so glad that your bathroom is just the way you want it!! That is always the best reward ever.

As far as the Kiltz- have you actually painted over it yet?
The first time that I used the latex primer, I also didn't think that it worked as well, but after painting over it- it did the job nicely. You may want to use 2 coats of it, and two coats of your paint. Here is a warning (don't hate me for this one)...I once did what you are doing to an old house over the wallpaper that was glued to the sheetrock. After all of the coats of paint, the wallpaper then decided to start peeling off :( Talk about a mess!! The next room that I did, in the same house, with same conditions, I primered, added the thinnest of thin coats of paint, and sponged. That time, it worked. Sponging is my favorite paint technique when trying to hide anything.

Also, you can't paint latex over oil- it is just like adding oil and water together.

I feel your pain....let us know the progress!!
Trish

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks that helps!! need to get the room finished up this weekend. But I do have a thought now. I faux finished my cheap counter top in bathroom. I went by several directions on the web, but the main thing was to cover with *oil* based kilz first then use regular latex paint. It is gorgeous!!!!!!!! My kids are so impressed. I am sure in that application it was because anything else would have peeled off the countertop, and this didn't. hmmm....didn't even think about the oil-latex thing then, I was just following directions.
But on the wall, I didn't want to test and didn't want to paint that whole wall with oil-based anything either.
I'll know more after this weekend on how it does, I did do one place behind the door with the joint compound (and hated it, so hard to get that stuff smooth) and it covered the black, but I could never do that to a great big wall.
:) will check back in soon!!!

Oh, tiG - my heart goes out to you! I've had to strip really ugly wallpaper two layers thick, one layer was obviously before the advent of strippable wallpaper :( So then I had to spend days skimming the walls with joint compound and sanding them smooth - essentially re-doing the smooth walls that existed prior to the wallpaper.

So when you said you wanted to do the joint compound thing, I figured - you go girl! I too was afraid of advising you to paint over the wallpaper for fear it would cause the paper to start coming loose in patches. Not to mention you have the seams showing through your paint job. Let us know how it turns out!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

this paper will NOT come loose. It's glued on at the factory. We're going for the paint, can always fix it later:)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

tiG, I have to agree with Trish, the first time I tried the latex kilz I thought oh my.............this isn't working. but I put two coats on , then painted the wall and it covered beautifully. Plaster is too much work for a big room. What are you trying to do? Kill yourself? Woman you better take it easy or you know you'll be in pain!! Don't hurt yourself...........you have me worried now

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

tiG... Too late for this project of yours, but I want to recommend a better product than Kilz.

I do lots of renovation/remodelling work and use BIN, which is FAR superior to Kilz. It is a white pigment in a shellac base and dries in about 10 minutes (keep the can covered while using because it evaporates and skims quickly, and stir often). It covers knot holes in new wood better than anything I have ever tried, usually with just one coat. I do some fire-damage re-painting and won't use anything else, because nothing works like this. Price is about the same as Kilz, and places like Home Depot and Lowe's carry it.

Being a shellac base, you can use it over oil paint or latex, and use oil or latex over it. It's very thin, so use drop cloths for the drips.

Clean up brushes and rollers (and yourself!) with ordinary household ammonia.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

this is really good to know, I always wondered what the difference was. I'll just switch to this since it drys so fast! thanks:)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You are welcome! Knowledge should be shared....

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

tiG, would love to see a pic when you're done. Zanymuse, what a great idea ! Very cool ~

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Zany......that's s wonderful idea in any situation!

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.