October Blooms

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Sorry, I couldn't make out what it was and it seemed like a very bright color for a flower.

O.K. I remembered who gave me the Dwarf Barbados Cherry, it was a guy from College Station by the name of Throneofyord, it was a very small cutting.
But here it is now, the flowers are very small but the scent is large, it is perfuming my front door.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's lovely, Josephine!

Cheryl, I always enjoy the pics of your cacti. Your toad lilies are looking great, too!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Pretty scene Cheryl, you have a great display of blooms.

Josephine...Love the BC! I need to dig and pot mine this week. I don't think it gets enough sun and growing time where it is.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Your dwarf BC is gorgeous. The one you gave me at a RU is blooming but much smaller. I have it in the ground. My toad lilies never came back...oh well, that is 4 x I have tried.

Thank you very much, I just can't make myself set out in the ground, I am afraid some of the top would die back and it wouldn't reach a good size. I need to take more cuttings so everyone can have it, it is so neat.
My toad lilies are blooming, they are also in a pot, although this year the leaves have not been very good, but they are blooming.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it looks great in that pot...I wouldn't touch it! I have a little unknown white blooming flower. Any ideas?

I am not sure, but the leaves look like they are serrated and thick so it could be a Sedum.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's aster season!

This purple aster (not sure the name??) I received from Sheila at the spring RU this past spring.

Willowleaf asters, cowpen daisies, red shrimp plant

Even this little heath aster I picked up last week at the RU from Josephine is getting in on the action!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That cowpen bed is a beautiful combo. Is it in full sun?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This something honeysuckle is also starting to bloom. Such bright deep orange blooms. I really probably should pass this along to someone who lives in a warmer climate so that it can really flourish.

Backside view of my driveway bed.

The creeping rosemary that I have in a pot is blooming like crazy again.

The jungle.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Anna, the asters and cowpen daisies that I posted is in mostly full sun. That bed gets shade from our big oak tree until about 11AM, then it's full, blazing hot sun. I also don't water that area but maybe once or twice a week.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't realize shrimp plant could take such harsh conditions. Good to know.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I've had this plant for several years and this is the tallest it's gotten. It's about 4' tall this year.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9b)

This is part of my parking strip. Prairie aster and gulf coast muhly.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

I have enjoyed everyone's pics this month, really sad because my hard drive died and I can't upload pics very well with my iPad, it refuses to shrink them to a manageable size. I agree that an RU is the best for memorable plants. My one little Cowpen daisy from the spring has morphed into a show stopping mound. I need to get some pics of a vine someone gave me that has monster seed pods and lovely pale pink flowers, of course the tag is gone.
But Careyana convinced me to pick up this native vine, Dutchmans Pipe. Se said it would wow me and was she ever right. A scraggly little vine and it has giant blooms. Now to figure out just where to plant it.

Joy

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 12:43 PM

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Lynne, how did you get the aster to bloom like that? Mine has beautiful blooms but they are more sparse.

Here is what my aster looks like. second photo is of my heath aster, also with sparse blooms. Then somefruits of fall, golden dewdrop berries and last hyacinth bean pods.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Stephanie....The aster I shared this past spring was Symphyotrichum oblongifolium, native fall aster.

Joy, I hate to be a spoiler, but that pipevine is deadly to our native pipevine swallowtail in this area. The butterflies will lay eggs on it but as soon as they hatch and begin eating, they die. I had one and tested it out myself also. They are used in Florida and deep south TX for the Polydamas without issue, but we don't get those this far north. It is your choice, but I dug my plant and tossed it to protect these georgeous butterfly's larva in my yard.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56130/

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 9:01 AM

Beautiful pictures Sheila, I have raised a few of them this year and had never had any luck getting a picture of the top of their wings, but this time i got really lucky, she sat there that way when I released her for a long time.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful picture Josephine!

Thank you Sheila, it is such a rare treat.

Arlington, TX

Salvia regla is putting on a nice show.

That is neat Cheryl, mine is not blooming yet, probably because of shade.

Arlington, TX

I have never planted wax begonias in my yard but this one showed up near the turtle tub about 3 years ago and keeps coming back.

Arlington, TX

Salvia azurea is blooming for a second time even though I cut it to the ground once.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Cheryl!

We are getting the last butterflies coming through, many are ragtag but every so often one will show up that is in great shape.have I said before that I love my Cowpen daisies?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Joy, you and me both!! I will always have cowpen daisies in my garden. They're such bright, cheery flowers and they attract bees and butterflies!

I think we all love them except Sybil, but I am sure she will come around.

Cheryl, I have never seen a blue salvia, and that one is stunning! I need to hunt for that one!

Here is my new blue Clitoria. It was another acquisition from ARE this fall.

And I have a request for identity. I feel sure that this was something from the spring RU in Burleson but I haven't found anyone with a good ID. It is an aggressive vine that had sporadic pale pink blooms reminiscent of snapdragons. But the most striking thing about it is the gigantic seed pods, they are upwards of a foot long and several inches wide. Of course the tag is long gone.

Joy

I think this might be the vine you have, I know Smockette has it so maybe she gave it to you.
http://www.backyardnature.net/q/trmpvine.htm

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, you guys...........enough about those cow pen weeds. Each year, by the time it starts cooling down a little so I can do some training in my round pen, there they are and in my way big time. By the time I get through pulling the CPDs and the other obnoxious weeds in there, I'm too pooped to work with the horses, anyway. (Do I sound pitiful enough?)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Sybil!!

I think you should pull plants on a different day than the one you want to ride the horses.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Some people like yellow, chuckl, but syb has a point- those plants can hurt her horses- they have allergies and NO Claritin, and they can get conjunctivitis from the 'weeds', if not downright sick because they decided to munch on something not good for them. Sometimes it's a good thing to have a place for everything in its own place! (and Not floating around in your boots with you)

Arlington, TX

I don't have horses and I agree with her! I pull literally 1000's of CPD seedlings out each year and mine get huge and over grow their neighbors. They bloom late which is nice but its also the time I want to start cleaning up the beds so the giant monsters are a bother. I only let a couple grow and usually take them out long before they finish blooming.
C

Well, all I can say is, there is a time and a place for everything, and we all make our choices according to our taste and circumstances, and that is O.K.

Here in my zone I get NO volunteers since the weather does not get cold enough to stratify the seeds. Last year I saved seed so Im going to put them in the fridge and see if I can get some that way. Otherwise, I'll come begging at the RU for some more seedlings. chuckl

Arlington, TX

I can send you some now if you like.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.