Could this be a wild carrot? Can I eat it?
What did I grow in my compost pile?
Looks like a parsnip to me. I don't think you should eat something that you're not SURE of what it is.
You might post in the Plant ID forum, someone there may recognize it. Did you ever see any leaves? It doesn't especially look like a carrot to me but you never know.
I'd try posting in the ID forum anyway, someone may still recognize it.
Did you post it, and get any guesses? I suspect it's really too hard to say for sure.
I forgot about it, actually. And, I didn't eat it.
I dunno...kinda looks like it could eat YOU! LOL! Have to mess with ya...
Looks parsnip-like to me! But it could also be Queen Anne's Lace, which is toxic.
It is hemlock that is toxic - Queen Anne's Lace is wild carrot and edible. They both produce a similar root.
When I have grown parsnip, the root is wider at the top and tapers, rather than being irregular like the one in the picture above. Parsnips have a distinct aroma and the leaflets are a different shape than carrots although both have an umbel shaped flower.
Hemlock is toxic and deadly. it apparently does look similar to wild carrot and people have died from eating it. So my advice is DO NOT EAT THAT ROOT!!
Would never eat anything like that when you are not sure of its nature. Water hemlock has a carrot/parsnip like root and is deadly. Seeds are spread by birds, and it looks like wild carrot