Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Yes finally it’s the weekend, so very pleased the weeks over because it was a big one and I am utterly exhausted, I have noticed this heat is really knocking me around this year compared to last for some reason, maybe it’s just because I am getting older or maybe it’s those bloody stairs I climb up and down most days, all I know is that it really takes it out of me by the end of the week and I want to find a happy place to hide from everyone including exercise, but I suppose a day out in the garden is better than any other exercise as far as I am concerned and funny that I always seem to have an exuberant amount of energy for gardening and that I never complain.

Hi Nev, nah I am really not the true “Bob the Builder” incognito lol even though I do have to wear long sleeve shirt, pants, safety boots and safety helmet when I am out on our job Sites. My original background is Mechanical Engineering, but when we moved to Qld I became very interested in Contract Management so started working with Contracts when I took a job with Hamilton Island Enterprises and worked in the Concessionaires Dept., then when we left Hammo I got into the Construction Industry with my background and started working as a Contracts Administrator and have been doing this for about 8 + years now except instead of being in the Construction Industry which is very unstable at present with not much Construction Projects going on and companies struggling to win work because there is less to pick and choose from. So I am now working in the Mining Industry which is far more fruitful at present given the slump is over and I find it to be more secure, rewarding and comes with great benefits. Anyway contractually I look after our Civil, Electrical and Mechanical sections for the company I work for. I find the Mining Industry far less stressful than the Construction Industry and am proud to say I have a life now and get to spend quality time with my hubby which is great.

Nev thanks for sharing more wonderful shots of your beautiful garden, I can’t see any weeds; you did a great job hiding them with those camera angels lol. You know the excuse I use in my garden when I have weeds is that some of the grass that comes up in my herb garden I keep because the dogs like to eat it for when they have an upset tummy etc. Although I do feel really badly if I do totally weed the garden because they have nothing to chew on if they do need to eat some, so I make sure I keep a patch for them here and there in the same spot and they are great at knowing exactly where to find some to graze on. I am such a good mummy to them. But I did notice today that they have more than they need growing in my herb patch and if I am not careful I could soon be starting up a turf farm business lol.

Nev great to hear you would like me to post you some Pink Ginger; I will get them in the mail to you as soon as I can (hopefully before Xmas). Yeah that would be great if you could pass on advice regarding packaging things correctly, I would find this information very useful indeed.

Nev I promise to tell my Goldfish story over my Xmas break as I think I have gone overboard with this long winded thread already and probably bored everyone.

Hi Shirley, yes I am very pleased it is the weekend and am also very pleased that you would like me to post you some Pink Ginger, yeah by all means D-Mail you with your details and I will get them in the mail to you as soon as I can (hopefully before Xmas like with Nev’s).

Shirley, bugger – sorry to hear you are experiencing internet problems again, hope the issue gets resolved real soon given the time of year and bad timing for same issue to continue, you must be well and truly over the service provider you use.

Hi Sue great thanks for the swap offer of Ae. Blanchettiana for Neo Kismet, any change of the swap being the Orange form rather than Green form or am I stretching our friendship too far? The reason I am partial to the Orange form is to inject more colour into our garden as presently we have a lot of green in the garden in the form of hedges, palms and gingers and heliconias everywhere, hence why I luv collecting broms being that they are so very colourful even when they are not in flower, but I don’t have very many just green type broms as I try to avoid them because I prefer instant colour rather than having to wait for a green brom to flower.

Yeah Sue it was a hard life living on Hamilton Island lol. There is heaps of staff living on the island, when we lived there, there were at least a couple of thousand staff that lived on the Island in accommodation, there would be heaps more now especially given new resort accommodations they have built and additional shops and restaurants they now have. Even Hayman Island has staff living there and some of them use underground style tunnels to get around so you hardly see them apart from the ones in the restaurants, shops, water sports etc. We enjoy going to Hayman Island because it is quieter especially if you are staying only for a long weekend, it gives you time to unwind and relax.

Sue really luved you’re Pic 4 of JC Superstar, can this one take a fair bit of sun?

Hi Ian you sound like you have been very busy cleaning and potting up seedlings. You also sound like you are going to be very busy building more shade structures; you will have to show us the finished product. I tend to build temp shade structures just to get over the summer period as our back yard is too long to be putting anything permanent in without encroaching too much of the garden / lawn area. I liked all your Bill pics by the way.

Hi Bree where are you are you OK??? Talkie Talkie to us as we miss hearing from you and seeing your brom pics; plus you still have not got back to me with your D-Mail details.

Hi and BIG Welcome Newcomer Kristi from Texas, so this sounds like the first time you have posted to this forum but you say you have been looking in and reading our threads which is great to hear, which means you should be used to us by now and by the looks of things we have not scared you off which is great lol. Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment out of joining in with our discussions and our lives as I do, I can assure you will not be disappointed as this forum is wonderful and an absolute wealth of information from some people in the forum how have been collecting for years and some of us who have been collecting for a couple of years. I have learnt so much since joining this year and learn something new every day and I really adore all the people I get to chat with when I can, hence why my threads are so long because I do not always get to thread during the week, mostly on the weekends. I really liked all the pics you posted, your broms appear to be doing really well by the looks of things and you sound like you are collecting a few different types which is great to hear. I am the same I collect a bit of everything but really luv collecting mostly Vrieseas and Neorgelieas as these are my favourites. I only have a couple of the Crypt type broms and I only know the name of one because Ian kindly identified it for me as ‘IT’. Anyway Kristi welcome aboard and hope to hear from you sometime in the not too distant future.

We spent most of today spring cleaning the house before our visitors arrive which was a bit of a drag but the house looks so much better organised and this means I have less cleaning to do over the festive break. Friday night was spent putting up our purple fibre optic Xmas tree and hanging decorations around the house and we turned into kids by the end of the evening and went a little bit overboard with the tinsel (apologies to Lexi for dog abuse) but we are proud to say it now feels like Xmas and if we had a chimney Santa Clause would definably come to visit lol.

Tomorrow we are off to Bunnings to buy more brom mix, pots etc as I have some more broms to pot up as per the pics below.

Hi to everyone else who may be looking in or is on the Sick List. Until next time take care everyone, speak soon and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 Lucy waiting to open her first present under the tree from a friend
Pic 2 Lexi – attack of the purple tinsel – what a bad mum I am
Pic 3 Vr. Snows of Mauna Kea F2
Pic 4 Vr. Fosteriana White Bands F2
Pic 5 Ae. Pinkie

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

too funny Trish! It doesn't look as though Lexi minded the tinsel too much! Lucy looks very excited about Xmas. I am very behind with it here, and haven't even done my Xmas cards. Maybe I should fix that today? We get a farm grown tree each year, mainly bcause it smells so nice, and I don't do much decorating these days, as its fairly quiet here at Xmas, mostly. I used to do Xmas light through the garden, and santa hanging from the roof, but not anymore.
I am happy to oblige you with an Orange Blanchettiana pup. Its all the same to me. If you should happen to get any stray pups from C. 'It' in the future, I wouldn't say no to one. Dmail me with your postage details,and I'll sort out a blanchy today and post tomorrow, so you can have one for Xmas. Keep it in the shade this summer and introuce it to sun in the winter, and that should see it acclimatise to full sun without burning.
A. 'JC Superstar' can take quite a bit of sun. I have experimented with alot of Aechmeas, and find that those with colour in the leaves seem quite sun tolerant, but are usually a little bit cold tender, not that that would matter up your way.
Your new plants look very nice, especially the Vrieseas.
Hello Kristi, nice to hear from you. I see your concern for Karen, and have had the same concerns myself, but see the odd comment on FB, ad over in the tea room, so think she is ok? Maybe just too many places to post these days, and it all takes time.
Your collection of Crypts are very colourful. I have a couple but find them a bit finnicky to grow. How have you managed so well?
You ask about the growing seasons, and I have always found that come spring, they begin to show signs of activity, with alot ofAechmeas flowering then, summer sees the Neos begin to flower, and in Winter, near the end, the Billbergias take over. Guzmanias and Vrieseas seem to be from spring to summer. You would be coming into your winter now, yes? How cold does it get where you are?
Nev, winter sees a bit of marking on the big Aechmeas here too, and I kept your large seedlings in the hot house over winter, but next winter they will definitey be too large and will have to cope in the great outdoors. I have a spot that 'I think' might be protected enough, so we shall see. What a shame you have had to dump most of them. I am guilty of binning broms too, as there comes a point when you ask yourself, are they worth anything......to me or anyone else?
I am glad your scald is healing ok. I guess it gives you an insight into anyone suffering more than 1% burns!
That picture of Tillandsia velutina looks right on the money! I see that one in Bunnings from time to time, and never purchase it because I couldn't remember if I had it or not. I got it confused with T. velickiana. Now I will have to go see which one I DID purchase from Bunnings. The one I posted was bought from local grower who doesn't know the names. I love my Tills, and get excited about flowers, mostly because it might mean seed, and I can try and grow them on the trees e.t.c.
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding out the ID, and including the pictures. You're a gem.

I am glad its not just me having the problems with the A. lueddemanniana types then. The first A. 'Rodco' inverta I was given was potted, and it grew into a giant, with the best colouring I have seen amongst the cultivars I have. I might pot up the two remaining plants today and see if the warmer weather will help get them moving. I also have A. 'Alvarez' but it never seems to reach the size or coouring of Rodco
Ian, you are so busy! I think if you should ever sit down too long, those seeds you've collected in your pocket will sprout and grow over you, and everyone will go, 'Wheres Ian?' and then 'I don't know, but look at that lovely clump of Bromeliads' heh heh. I am glad you are obviously getting so much enjoyment from the experience. Your Billbergia collection looks great.
Well, nothing done yesterday, as it was the annual motorcycle toy run, and hubby and I rode with some friends and had a wonderful time, meeting new people and doing something nice for the community. We were stuffed when we got home, so didn't do much except pick up a few fronds and bits of bark e.t.c. and then watered. Of course, it rained overnight, but thats ok.
Hello to anyone looking in. Take a leaf out of Kristis book, and post a comment. It will be lovely to meet new addicts.
Sue
Photo 1 is Alcantarea brasiliana (are you sick of seeing it yet?)
Photo 2 is Alc. 'Silver Plum' looking very silvery.
Photo 3 is mostly about the Orchid, but there are broms too!

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – hasn't the week gone quickly? It'll soon be Christmas....and then Easter ….and then Christmas ….and then Easter, and it just comes around faster and faster.

Shirley – So sorry you're on the “Telstra Turntable” once again, been there, done that. Don't muck around talking to people who obviously don't know what they are doing; demand to speak to the supervisor like my wife did after several hours of phone calls which offered no helpful remedy. The supervisor had it all fixed in about twenty minutes........... Good Luck and hope to see you posting again soon.

Kristi – Great to see you dropping in again, I thought you'd given us away as we haven't heard from you for so long; and nice of you to share pic's of your beautiful Crypt's with us.

I too had wondered what had become of Karen as we haven't heard from her for so long, maybe Wendy can fill us in on what's happening as I thing she lives somewhere nearby I think.

Thanks for the treatment advice for burns, I had heard of that years ago but have never had the need to use it and of course when it happened to me, all I could think of was my ambulance training; get the clothes of quickly because while ever they're on they're acting like a hot poultice; and then lots and lots of cold water. After I had cooled it down though I used a product called “Burn Aid Gel” in which the active ingredient is Melaleuca Oil which comes from one of the many species of our native “Ti Trees” and which has an essential oil with anti-biotic and anti-fungal properties. The results were spectacular, and the pain stopped within a couple of minutes and I know from now on there will always be a tube of this in the medicine cupboard.

You have posted some pic's of truly beautiful coloured Cryptanthus. I especially like the first one I think the colour combination is amazing. Whatever the amount of light you are growing them in must be exactly right as I've never seen such colour in Crypt's in our area. There's another nice one which although to my knowledge isn't available in Australia, you should be able to get easily in your country and it's called Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant'. See Pic.1 which was originally posted here on Dave's Garden in 2007 by my brom friend Chanin Thurot from Thailand who was the hybridiser.

Finally, all I'd like to say Kristi, is don't leave it so long before you visit us again as it's always good to hear from our brom friends in other countries.

Trish – Wow! An engineer no less; never thought we'd have an engineer growing brom's let alone posting on here with our little group, and it just goes to show what a wide following brom's really have due to their they appeal to many different people from all walks of life and from many different countries world wide.

Trish I did Email you some info. about packing plants for post but I think I sent the wrong file so I've sent the right one to you this morning. Also the offer goes to anyone else on here also, and if you would like a copy of those notes, just D-Mail me your Email address.

You asked Sue whether J.C. Superstar can take a fair bit of sun. I don't know about Sue in her area, but in my experience it will take all the sun it can get when grown beneath 75% beige or 50% green shade cloth. As for direct sun, down here it will take it all except except the very hot summer sun in the middle of the day and early afternoon. It does need the strong light to give it the colour and if grown in low light is just a “nothing plant”.

I also like your pic's as usual, especially the ones of your two very happy and well cared for “doggy mates”

I have to finish now as we're taking our grandsons to the Illawarra Light Railway Museum today for some steam train rides to let them see how it used to be in the “old days”. This reminds me of an incident which occurred one "steaming day" at the museum some time ago; the steam train was in the station and a little girl was looking at it and she said to me , “it must be very old”. When I told here it was the same age as me and asked how old she thought it was, she answered, “Gee is it a hundred”? That really made me feel young (I don't think).

Sue - You've done it again; just as I was about to hit the "send" button the message comes up to say someone else has posted and I had to put the brakes on.

That Alc. Brasiliana is getting enormous and you will definitely need a ladder and chain saw when the time comes to cut off the old spike.

I very much like your Alc. 'Silver Plum'; I have a smaller one than yours which I grew from a little three inch grass pup I was given. It was so small and it was winter time when I got it and I didn't give it much of a chance, but it survived and when the warmer weather came it really started to grow.

I like your orchid; is it Brassia Verrucosa? I have a similar one growing in a large terracotta saucer which flowers every year at about this time. It's in spike now but the flowers haven't opened yet and I'll probably post a pic when it flowers.

Pic.1 today is for Kristi and is Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant' which was hybridized, grown and photographed by Chanin Thurot of Thailand. Pic.2 and 3 are a couple of Neo. seedling culls in the front garden just to show there's even something worthwhile looking at in "cast-offs", Pic.4 is Billbergia Rosea showing the silvery seed pods starting to form and Pic.5 is Aechmea Fasciata purpurea.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Such a lot of reading and drooling going on here. What absolutely beautiful pics from everyone. I thought that my broms were looking very good and colouring up well, but boy, they still have a long way to go. Sorry I have been AWOL for so long. I have such a lot of jobs to catch up on around here and they seem to be neverending. Broms, Brugs and cacti. I need a few little elves around to do the menial jobs like weeding and deadheading. Maybe Santa will bring me a few. Everything is going along fine here. Gee Nev I do hope your burns are healing well. So easy to do though. Poor old Branden has been in the wars this week. At school he was playing a game at lunch time and the headmaster swung his arm around and caught him on the eye with his watch. A trip to the doc to get it glued. He has a ripper of a shiner though. Then a couple of days later, he came boring up the path on his scooter and hit the dirt and landed on a cactus. Took me a while to get the spikes out then he put an icepack on it and all was well. Great to see all the pics. Here are some of mine. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris
north coast nsw, Australia

Im still here just havent had many interesting photos to post.
Trish- can you d-mail me again, i cant see any.
Wendy- i'll have to check what pups i have and get back to you on that swap.
Great broms as always everyone!!!

Hi all. It is hot and dry here today again. I took some of my plants for a walk today and they seem to have had less energy than me as they stayed up the back.Well if they like it there they can stay there. Well I have a bit more space in the pool area now, but before filling it again I have to watch the ones up the back. I think most will be happy there til a branch comes down on them. I also cleaned a lot of plants and found an excavator in my seedlings After digging out 4 the Rhino beetle decided to dig a new home for itself. I evicted it and told it to go away. It did and I hope it stays away from my seedlings.I tooksome fresh piccies of my work.
Have a good one
Ian
Piccies from up behind my bush house

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

hi everyone. nice to hear from some of the missing ones again. Hi to Kristi and Colleen. lovely to hear from you both and glad all is AOK for you.

Karen is fine and is still up in the air about her home. Dept of housing is still twiddling about who should have the houses. So Karen is not getting any more broms than she already has in case they force her to move and she ends up in a flat or unit with no garden at all. If they just made a decision so she could move on and get over it it would be much less painful and stressful for her. Governments. .... not a one of them earns the money they give themselves.

I did check in last night but was so tired. I typed up and nice little response to a couple of people and pooooofffff it all disappeared. It done that to me a couple of times and I have no idea what or why it happens so I jsut logged off in disgust. Tonight I am even more tired than last night. can barely keep my eyes open. Lucky I can touch type and not even look so I can sit here with my eyes resting and just type whatever I'm thinking. gee I hope my fingers are on the right keys or you guys are going to have some tgrouble working out what I;m saying. loooks ok I just checked. hahahaha

OMG were we busy. Jen went home about 4pm I think and we started putting plants away and cleaning up then a couple more came in and we kept putting away. I think we were on our last table full and the phone rang about 5.40 and some people from Redcliffe who we hadn't seen here for about a year rang to say they were at Capalaba and was it too late to come round to see what was left. We had to say yes but instead of arriving before 6 it was more like 6.30 when they got here. too dark to see too much even with all the outside lights on. they picked a few and left around 7pm but will come back in a couple weeks just after Christmas I think. Anyway we went and got some tea and was almost too tired to eat it so it's in the fridge for tomorrow. Now what did I want to write last night???

I liked that pic of orlandiana pink Trish. I love the orlandianas. we have a reverse ensign here which lost all it variegation so was just an orlandiana but yesterday I discovered all 5 of it's pups are variegated so I'm really happy about that. It is right on the edge of the shadecloth though so all tips on one side are now bleached badly but the pup on that side is OK. Even our silver plums have same colour bleaching on one side where the leaves stick out into the sunshine. we even have burn spots on red macaw and they've always been in same place in the sun most of the day so we told everyone this weekend we wouldn't guarantee anything would be OK in full sun. Off the track again we were talking orlandianas ..... sorry. If anyone has any orlandianas that I don't have I am keen to swap for those. mine are orlandiana (normal green), ensign and reverse ensign, strawberry, snowflake. I think that's all. I have put down seeds of strawberry F2 and snowflake F2 so can't wait to see what I get from those. should have lots to share soon. I've already potted up first lot of strawberry ones which needed thinning out.

I love the A. lueddemanniana types too. what is the difference between mend and rodco?? I can't see any but haven't put them side by side to compare. pics look same though. I do like that alvarez one. love the colour.
Those toothpicks are starting to dig in too much trying to keep the eyes open so I'm going to log off now and get some well earned shut eye. wonder if Jen is asleep yet. she worked hard all weekend too.

Night all. pics tomorrow night. too tired now.
Wendy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning, nice to see a few posts!
Wendy, it good that your sale was so busy! Did you make much space (more important than money) I am eager to see your Orlandiana seedlings mature. How exciting.
Aechmea 'Mend' is the albo marginated form of A. lueddemanniana, and A. 'Alvarez' is the variegated form. A. 'Rodco' is alot like A. 'Alvarez' but in my opinion, is a much larger plant with a more vibrant pink. As for 'inverta' I'm not quite sure what that means.
Lucky you to be so adept at typing. I mustn't tap the keys hard enough, as I look at the keyboard when typing, and when I check the screen, half the letters and spaces are missing, Or I get extras!
Ian, I thought I was the busy one here! The new spot for your plants looks well shaded and should suit them well, although I can sympathise with you when it comes time to clean the leaf matter out! Was the rhino beetle damaging the seedlings, or just displacing them? What do they eat? Maybe it was looking for a place to lay its eggs? Lucky you found it early.
bree, you don't have to post photos to drop in. Just a comment or two is enough so that we know you're ok. I do like your colourful photos though.......
Colleen, poor Branden! Clocked (literally) in the eye and punctured by cactus! That has got to hurt! You have all been in the wars this year. Your photos of your broms look just as colourful as ours. Maybe its just the camera types and settings.
Nev, that Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant'is a stunner. I didn't know Chanin was on DG? I have seen some of his other posts in other forums. They grow nice broms in those tropical countries. I remember seeing some on garden web, from a lady called lyndee? in Singapore, and the Cryptanthus were huge!
Yes, that is Brassia verrucosa, and I got a peice from a market in Toukley years back, stuck it on a tree, and it is flowering now also. The one in the shade house is a potful I inherited from LeisaD. I had another coming into flower, but every bud was eaten by something? A sprinkle of snail pellets must have done the trick, as all the curent orchid buds are looking good (fingers crossed)
Nev, stop mentoning chainsaws in relation to my Alc! it makes me nervous! heh heh. I see Jack has a picture of his one on FB, but it does look slightly different in the stem colour, I think? Now, how did you get a grass pup of A. 'Silver Plum'? I was told they didn't produce grass pups. I saw a heap being sold at a plant fair, with grass pups all over them, and was told by the grower that they were seedlings from A. 'Silver Plum' and was told later, by someone in the know, that yes, an A. 'Silver Plum' f2 will produce grass pups. It has left me a little confused. How did they get the original A. 'Silverplum' (without grassies) and why does the f2 produce grassies?
I trust you had a good day with the steam trains? I remeber time spent with my Dad, in the Waitakeres in NZ, when we used to go on a small train. I just googled it, and they still do the train trip in a miniature train, through glow worm caves. I think they follow the old train lines when they built the dam? Ahhhh, memories. I bet you are building lasting memories for your grandkids too.
Anyway, housework day today. There are grass clippings and yard debris all through the house, the sign of a gardener!
No new photos to post today, but I shall try to get new ones for tomorrow, unless you want a 'Toy Run' shot? Taken while riding!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – We had a bit of rain here overnight and this morning has started with a lot of overcast and a cool southerly wind blowing and not shaping up to be a very pleasant day.

Colleen – Gee it's great to see you back with us once more. It seems all of your troubles are over now as they say these things come in threes and you've had your three; first there was you, with your injured back, then Branden with his eye injury and then Branden again when he had an argument with the cactus. So everything is on the improve from here on for you.

Nice pic's you've posted and the colour in your brom's is great despite what you say. You and I are on about the same latitude and further south than the rest of the growers here so it stands to reason that our plants will be a little behind those of our northern friends in the time it takes them to colour fully. How about some names as I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone when I say we want to know what the plants are.

Branden doesn't look very happy in the picture after his accident or was it that he just didn't like getting his pic taken, in fact if you hung a number around his neck he could be one of those blokes on the “wanted posters”. Tell him to cheer up and that coming a “gutser” off a scooter or bike is something that we all did as kids. To make him feel better, tell him that I remember as a kid getting a (second hand) bike and Dad had fitted one of those little generators on the back wheel so that when I rode at night I had a light. The faster you peddled the brighter the light would be so I decided to try it out. I was riding down the road from where we lived “full pelt” and next thing I found myself in the grass with “slimy things” sliding all over me. What had happened was I had crashed into our next door neighbour and his friend who were just returning from eel fishing at the old quarry dam and I crashed into them causing their eels to escape from the bag and these were the “slimy things” that were sliding all over me. I don't remember much about it until I was being helped up and was probably knocked out as this was before crash helmets, but our neighbours said all they remember was seeing this “bright white light” quickly approaching before I crashed into them.

Bree – Good to see you can at least find the time to drop in and say g'day, and I'm sure we'll be getting a bit more conversation from you in the near future. It's always nice to hear from you even if you don't have any pic's to post.

Ian – I hope your plants like their new location. Moving plants to a different location like this can often have a dramatic effect on them. For example, brom's that would never flower in their old location will often flower in the new one. On the other hand plants that flowered freely in the old location may not flower in the new one which just sums up what the old growers say, and that is, never re-locate a plant that's doing well. It's only when we're not satisfied with their performance that we need to try different places. I have some brom's that I have tried in three or four different locations before I was finally happy with their performance, so I guess it's just a matter of juggling your plants around within the space available to you to obtain the best results.

How did you go with the Quesnelias, did you get any viable seed to plant? I'll be very interested in the results so please keep us posted.

Wendy – It's good to see that Karen is OK, but bad to hear she is still being stuffed around by the Queensland Government Department of Housing. Don't get me wrong, I love Queensland and have spent many wonderful holidays there, but I do think your State and Local Governments need a bloody good “shake up”. It seems that every night on the TV there is some type of housing dispute over some antiquated Govt. rule or by-law and just like the NSW Govt. not one of the “pollies” in office at the time wants to accept any responsibility or take steps to sort it out. Maybe they should all take up brom growing to help them relax and grow a brain that can handle the job they are so well paid to do. Sorry about that little outburst, but it always seems to be the “little bloke” that suffers.

It's good to see your sale went so well, maybe I'll employ you to come down here and arrange a sale so I can thin out a lot of my stuff to make way for the young seedlings coming through. How's Jen going? We haven't heard from her since she had that nasty flu bug that went through the school some time back.

I was checking all my babies yesterday and am pleased to report that all of the Ae. Orlandiana seed you sent is doing well. Also some Billbergia seed I got from a friend as well as my first lot of seed from my own Bill. plants. Bill. 'Fruit Salad' (one from you) crossed with Bill. Fascinator; You Beaut!

Like you I too have difficulty telling the difference between Ae. 'Mend' and Ae. 'Rodco' as I only have pic's to go from and sizes aren't usually given. The only thing I can see when all the pic's I have are side by side is that Ae. 'Rodco' seems to have brighter colours as does Ae. 'Alvarez'. They all appear to be variegated plants and none of the ones I've seen seem to be true pink-marginated plants. Even the ones that look to have pink margins at first glance, do have other slight variegation when viewed more closely. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the flowers though, so maybe that's where the difference is. The BCR descriptions don't seems to answer the question fully either (see below) :

ALVAREZ: cv. of lueddemanniana from wild collection - (See 'Mend', 'Rodco', 'Pinkie' & 'Blanca Alvarez') - Tropiflora said, "Slow growing and has a medio-picta variegation - a broad stripe of pinkish orange up the center of each leaf when grown in bright light" - From observation, a variegated upright rosette w/green margins and lineations within the white center - glazed in intense red-orange overall in good light.

MEND: cv. of lueddemanniana - (See 'Alvarez', 'Pinkie', 'Blanca Alvarez', 'Rodco' & 'Rodco Inverta') - (Name is derived from (M)Mildred Merkel, (E)Edward Ensign who sowed the seed, (N)Julian Nally who gave the seed to Ensign, and (D)in memory of Ralph Davis) - Albo-marginated in white becoming bright pink-red in good light - hardy and attractive - long lasting first white then shiny purple berries - seedling mutation - open vase-shaped rosette to 18" tall and 24" wide.

Two interesting things do come from these descriptions though, the first is how the name MEND was born and secondly, in the description of Ae 'Alvarez' from the Tropiflora Nursery in the U.S. they also say that it is slow growing which supports what Sue and I have found. So if you're reading this Sue, it's not just us, even the “experts” can't make them grow any faster.

Before I go, “Get Well Soon” to anyone on the sick list and anyone else who is just having a bit of a “lurk”, let's hear from you again.

Sue - How do you do it? Every morning just as I'm about to hit the "send button" there's a message saying someone else has just posted, and guess who that someone else is?

Regarding the term "inverta", it's not even mentioned in the FCBS glossary only the word "inverted" which is interpreted as : "Turned over; end-for-end; top side down". Maybe it means that the colours are a reversal of the norm, who knows? I'll have to look further for an answer.

Re. Chanin Thurot, he posted that pic of Crypt. 'Lisa Vinzant' on Dave's Garden in 2007 which was long before I joined and probably in another bromeliad area of Dave's Garden before this one was up and running. He also often posted on the Garden Web Forums along with Lisa, Lyndi Whye (I think that's her name) Jack Koning, Ross Little, and many others I have since forgotten.

As for how I got a grass pup of Alc. 'Silver Plum', it originally came from a bloke who owed me about $20 for some extra brom's I let him have once on the priviso he would pay me back with something I didn't have. He turned up with about six grass pups of different Alcantareas and as I had never grown them before, I just accepted the fact that he said they were all "grassies" as he called them. I don't know whether they were F2's they came from or not so I can't help you with that question.They all grew but this one was my favourite and I don't remember the others but I'll have a look today and let you know. I'm not really into them as they take too much room for my small backyard.

As for the steam trains, our little grandson "had a ball", the only problem was trying to get him off the train when it was time to go home.

Pic's today are: Pic.1 and 2 are my Bill. “Babies”; Pic.3 is an “early morning” look inside the Neo. shade house from the door; Pic.4 is some “suspended colour” in the Neo Shade House and Pic.5 is the south east corner of the Neo. Shade House.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Well the weekend did not pan out at all like I had expected, spend most of the weekend cleaning the house so that it sparkles for us as much as all the decorations we have managed to hang around the whole inside of our house. Anyway as much as I was shitty with myself that this was nearly all we did over the weekend it was refreshing waking up this morning with the house so clean and organized, now it’s really starting to feel like Xmas. We also had visitors over for a good part of Sunday afternoon through to late evening which meant no time for getting out into the garden for the cooler part of the day. We are planning a Cape York trip with these friends in 2013 which will be great.

So during the week I have some more broms to pot up (about 12) so I plan to do this in the evenings after dinner is out the road. Joe also has some Orchids to pot up.

Hi Sue, yeah Lexi did not mind too much me wrapping her in Xmas Tinsel while she was having a wee sleep on our bed, but I did try to get her to pose with a Merry Xmas sign we have so I could use some to pop in Xmas cards but she did not like that one bit, although I did managed to get one pic that wasn’t too bad, the other 6+ shots I took of her were of her trying to run away or not sitting still for the camera, or she had a shitty upset look on her face like kids get when they don’t want to get their picture taken lol.

Sue thanks and it’s great that you are fine with sending me Ae. Orange form, I D-Mailed you with my details late last night after our visitors had gone.

Sue you guys must have so much fun all together when you go on your motorbike trips, you must get to visit a lot of beautiful places. My sister used to go on motorbike trips with her husband but she gave it up because she kept falling asleep whilst she was passenger holding onto hubby and I think he was pleased with her decision because he was really concerned about her falling off and was forever having to wake her up lol.

Thanks Sue, got your D-Mail.

Hi Bree glad to see you’re OK and just have not posted because you have no pics to share with us, that no excuse, we need a better excuse than that to not hear from you lol. Bree can you D-Mail me with your Contact/Postal details as I have that pup nearly ready to separate / pot up to send to you and hopefully by then I might find some more pups that might be ready but I really have to look and see?

Hi Colleen glad to hear from you as we have missed hearing about what you have been up to and seeing your always lovely pics. That’s a shocker of a black eye your grandson Braden is wearing, hope it heals up quick so he feels better soon as he looks really sad in that pic you posted. Luved all your colorful brom pics you posted too, are some of them Neo Princeps Select?

Hi Nev great to hear you had a beautiful day with your grandson on the steam trains, sure it would have been a beautiful and relaxing day for all of you. I laughed till I cried when I read your story of your scooter incident as a child with those friendly eels sliding all over you, I haven’t laughed that hard in a very long time so I thank you Nev so very much for sharing such a beautiful and funny story. Joe thought I was dying when I started laughing because I could not catch my breath and he looked at me like do you need your asthma spray or something, I had to get up and get some tissues to dry my eyes and blow my nose to catch my breath and I had pretty much laughed all the breath out of me lol.

Nev thanks for providing advice on how much light J.C. Superstar can take, I want to get some more sun hardy broms to put in the front yard but sounds like best not to subject this beautiful type of brom to the harsh rays of summer we are in right now.

Nev thanks heaps but for some reason I did not get that info you say you sent me regarding packaging plants, would you mind resending?

Wow Nev, look at all those beautiful seedling babies and brom pics you have posted, everything is doing so very well and as I always say look so well kept and organized and full of wonderful color, you should be very proud, they all look so amazingly beautiful all your broms.

Hi Wendy, pleased to hear you liked my recent purchase of Ae Pinkie, I do not have many of these types of broms but I really like them as they really stand out and luv the fact that they are very tuff and hard to destroy. I have most of mine growing in the front yard in full sun except for Pinkie and Ensign given they are still quite small and I am working out where I want to keep them. You sound like you have a big collection of different types growing and would luv to see some of the different ones you have growing and where best to grow them. The Strawberry one sounds very interesting and can’t wait to see pics of this one as well as Snowflake. I will have to take some pics and post a thread on some of the ones I have in the front yard over Xmas as I think some are NOIDS.

Hi Ian great pics you posted of all the hard work you achieved in the garden; it looks like you had a very busy weekend indeed, I am jealous because I got to spend zero time in the garden this weekend and am still recovering from the shock of only doing housework the whole weekend. I really like all the shade you have with the trees, somewhere beautiful and shady for you to sit you broms under. It’s a shame trees loose so many leaves and branches though and make such a mess that always needs to be cleaned-up, but then where would all our broms be without such beautiful shade and a place for us to sit under and keep cool over summer after a big day spent in the garden and to reflect on our day.

Anyway I better head off before it gets too late.

Take care everyone and Happy Gardening! Hi to anyone looking in.

Trish

Pic 1 Grace x Break of Day - Gold Form
Pic 2 Vr. Ginoti x Fost. White Bands
Pic 3 Lexi Wishing Everyone a Merry Christmas lol
Pic 4 Lucy Wishing Everyone a Merry Christmas lol
Pic 5 Neo Prince of Darkness (Thanks Nev ;-)

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi all.
Haven't caught up on sleep yet. Max was making all sorts of noises all night last night. It sounded like he was trying to clear a lump from his throat so maybe his tumour is moving into his throat now. It seems to be pretty hard for him to breath through his nose at night so I think it has moved to the right side now. because he is not sleeping well at night he is sleeping more in day so I think the decision will have to be sooner rather than later and today Johnny actually mentioned that so I think I need to get some photos for him for later. maybe some xmas ones like yours Trish. love the christmas messages your dogs are displaying.

Nev your fruit salad cross sounds marvellous. I think I put pollen on some of my fruit salads but the labels faded so I can't remember what I put on them. I have 5 sanderiana crosses also but the labels faded so I don't know which ones were crossed and which were F2 so I kept each and every pod separate. hopefully it will be obvious eventually which ones are F2 and which have other traits in them.

pic 1 is a lump of ae bert growing in a tree in a lot of sun. theyhave a range colours as you can see. I love these and this clump caused all of our berts to be bought on the weekend. we can't seem to get enough of these or blanchetianas. both of these aechmeas walked out the gate again and we have none left. however a couple of our regular customers did say they were taking pups to the dump as they had them everywhere in their own yards and had given away as many as possible to friends and now they all say no when offered so in future they will drop them off to us and we will swap them for something which works for us. we had regulars bringing us plants this weekend and we now have a lovely red canna and some trumpet plants as well as orchids. Jen looked absolutely exhausted yesterday when she left here around 4pm. we had our last customer after 7pm (did I say that last night??) anyway I know that Jen still reads posts as she mentions them.
Pic 2 is orlandiana rainbow growing in full sun. over winter Johnny pushed the ring up to very top of the pole so the plant stuck up over the roof of the shadecloth so it was in full sun. we haven't moved it back down. apparently this is what people see when they pull up so everyone wants one of these. this one now has 3 good sized pups on it ready to come off. we also have 2 old mothers hidden in back with pups on them.
pic 4 is orlandiana snowflake. this one is in the tree so is more white than the one in a pot under shadecloth. I know this one in the tree has a pup on it but I'm not climbing to get it down. LOL. not sure if hte potted one has a pup coming yet. I'd love to get one more so I can get more pups. I promise I'll get pics of the orlandiana seedlings. Nev I didn't remember that I sent you some of the seed. glad it is growin for you. I know I got a lot of seed from them. I think the ants were working overtime in that section of the yard. I have several trays of them growing and they do need thining out which I've started doing. (damn DG turned it around again)
Pic 3 is ae electra or rajah. same thing. it was knows as electra for years and years and was in lots of collections then one of the big growers and importers registered it as rajah and did a big release and sold lots. we've flowered both and they are identical. anyway we had one flowering this weekend put a 'display only' sign on and a couple of photos attached to others as well and sold abou 4 or 5 large plants which will probably flower this year anyway. we also let the flowering one go yesterday afternoon too.

anyway I'm off to bed early again tonight. lucky I got an early one in last night so I had a good hour to get into a deep sleep before Johnny and Max came in so I didn't get woken up till after 1am for a toilet trip. then I couldn't get back to deep sleep with Max making all those noises and Johnny turning on the torch and bending over to check on him all night long. So I'll get an early couple hours before them again tonight I think.

Night all
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch

oh I meant to say Nev you kept all those tillandsias a secret. I didn't know you had such a collection of them. wow that side of your shadehouse looks marvellous. have you ever collected seed from any of your ionanthas????/ I've never seen any pop on any of ours even though I often transfer pollen onto them. Apparently I did sell someone one that popped seed shortly after she got it home on her windowsill so maybe I just didn't know what I was looking at. anyhow I've never had them popping seed. and the seed I purchased from Brom L were obviously cooked when I was taking them inside to the heater and back out to the sunshine on the back verandah during winter. or maybe they just didn't like the changing light all the time. so I won't do that again. I have a few contacts on the planet tilladsia now who have promised to send me some till seed in their seedcollecting season so I'm hoping I'll get some from them to try.

Bed now. night
Wendy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning.
Trish, I had to spend yesterday doing housework too! Like you, I am glad it is done, and it feels xmas-y, and only needs a tree to finish it off. Hubby and I will go and get one from the tree farm on the weekend. I did manage to get acouple of things done in the yard, one being to pot up the two Aechmea 'Rodco' plants, one of which had a few roots already, so maybe it will get established sooner? I also moved A. blanchettianas out of the pool area, as the pots are staining the concrete. It must be the tanins leaching out of the pine bark? I will have to get the guerney out.
Your two dogs look very cute. Hubby and I pose for a xmas shot each year, with goofy xmas hats on, and put the photos in xmas card frames to send to the immediate family.This year we will do one posing with the big Alcantarea, and one posing with the bikes.
We do quite a bit of motorcycling these days. We actually met through motorcycling. We lost the passion for awhile, just too busy with other things, but it has become important for us again, and we have been on some gorgeous country rides.
My daughter used to fall asleep when we went motorcycling, so I used to tie her to the sissy bar! I'd be riding along and feel her head crash into my back, as she nodded off! She is the same in a car, and falls asleep in a couple of minutes. Lord knows how she copes when shes driving!
Nev, thanks for the information on the A. lueddemanniana cultivars. I have an A. 'Alarez' that is still the same size as the A. 'Rodco's I potted yesterday, despite it being potted up in 2010! Yerp, they are slow! I think Colleen might have bought a Rodco off me in the past? How did it go, Colleen?
Nev, I wait until you are almost ready to post, then I quickly post mine before you, thats how I do it! heh heh. I guess we both have the same computer routine. Sometimes you get on before me, but not often!
Wendy, your 'lump' of Bert is impressive. Heh heh. I wish I had more trees suitable to mount broms in. There is a nice casurina over by the dam that i reckon would be perfect for Tillandsias, and when my seedlings get a little bigger, I might put a mixture of them on there. The bark is quite corky. The only othertrees I mount the broms on, are the bangalow palms. I have also tried tieing mini neos to the Tibouchina tree.
I grow my A. orlandianas in full sun, all but 'Snowflake' and 'Ensign' although the latter gets very good light to keep it a squat shape, rather than long and lanky.
Oh dear, no photos again! I have to get moving as I am hosting a xmas lunch, and need to get some cooking done. Hopefully I will get a chance to play in the garden, and I have a couple of plants i want to photograph to try for ID's on.
Till tomorrow
Sue.

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone -Well the winds have stopped and the sun is shining once again so hopefully I'll get a bit more done out in the yard.

Trish – It's good to get a nice long post from you during the week instead of having to wait until the weekend. I love the Christmas pic's of your “happy hounds”, although I must say they don't look like they approved very much.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the Ae Blanchetiana (orange form) from Sue. It's a beautifully coloured plant and will do well for you in your climate. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the climate down here.

I haven't seen Neo. Grace x Break of Day (Gold form) and will be most interested to see a pic when the plant matures. I have both of the parents (Pic's 1 and 2) so the pedigree is there for breeding, that's why I'm so interested in seeing the result when it matures. I don't know what the breeder was after as the plants are totally different (colour wise) but maybe it was something in the past breeding lineage that the hybridiser was trying to “cash in” on, who knows?

Wendy – Sorry to hear Max is unwell again and you have my sympathy for the anguish you must both be going through once again.

I'm a bit excited about my Bill. 'Fruit Salad' x Bill. 'Fascinator' seedlings as it's the first time I've managed to get seed on any of my Bill's at all. Everyone says they are the easiest brom's of the lot to hybridize with, but for some reason I never seem to be able to “crack it” and finish up with a pod full of seed. Where did you get your original plant of 'Fruit Salad' from, was it a hybrid from John and Jenny Catlan's breeding successes, and what else do you know of its history?

There's no doubt about it, Ae Orlandianas are really very attractive plants, and although they're not everyone's “cup of tea” they are still so popular that I never end up with any spare pups, but have a rather long waiting list of names of people wanting pups instead. I wish the Neo seedlings were as popular, because then my space problems would be solved.

As for the Tillandsias, well they are something that's never really appealed to me, probably because they take so long to grow from seed. The little collection you see hanging near the shade house door in yesterday's pic are just little “bits and pieces” friends have given me in their attempt to convert me, but I've never actually gone and deliberately bought any. They just hang there and get a bit of a spray when I'm watering the Neo's but otherwise they just take their chances and they seem to grow OK so they must like the micro-climate the larger plants create in that particular shade house.

I'll try and finish this morning and get this post away before Sue posts so I'll finish with a few pic's. Pic.1 is Neo Grace; Pic.2 is Neo 'Break of Day' Pic.3 is one of the miniature species which I noticed yesterday as it was in flower. See how high the flowers are in comparison to other Neo flowers which makes them much easier to get at when hybridising. I did a few crosses with some of those flowers after I took the pic's yesterday so it will be interesting to see what turns up. Pic.4 is Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' and Pic.5 is not my picture nor my plant but is at the top of my "Wish List" it is called Neo.'Ipswich Gold' and I believe it is another of the wonderful hybrids from Alan Freeman. If anyone knows where I can get a pup, please let me know as I've been chasing it for quite a while now without success.

All the best, Nev.

P.S. Bugger! Sue's done it again and jumped in just as I was about to post, that makes it three days in a row, a "trifecta".

Sue - When you pose in front of the Alcantarea with Bill for the "Chrissy Cards", I think it would be more appropriate if Bill had a chain saw in his hand, Ha! Ha!

As for the Rodco, Mend and Alvarez etc. being slow growers, well I have a couple of plants of Mend (inverta) which came from the same plant owned by a friend of mine down the coast and they just seem to be stationary (growth wise), so I'm going to do a fertilizing experiment on one of them and not feed the other as it will be the 'control plant". I'll post results each six months.

Hi everyone, lovely broms!
Xmas is getting closer, just finished getting everything i need. Im having an early xmas dinner at my place this friday for my family as my daughter will be away and my mum works xmas day. Then i get a 2nd xmas lunch with all the trimmings on xmas day at my partners nans. hehe!
Sue- a saturday sale sounds great, hopefully i can get down even though im running out of places to put my broms. ha! I really want to go to the Coffs botanical gardens also with my camera.
1. Nelson 2. Boldstreak x McWilliiamsii 3. Royal Flush 4. Concentrica x Hearts Music 5. Stars and Bars.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

1. NOID mini 2&3. Aechmea recurvata var. benrath 4. Shining Light

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

H all, k'yb'a'd n't ''' k'ng ''''' ly.
Hav a gd 1
an

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

What kind of language is that? lovely big Vanda in your photo Ian.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

They are forecasting rain for here this Sunday and Monday so I hope the weather mans predictions are right because we could really do with some rain out our way to put out some of these dreaded fires happening around the outskirts of Townsville. Although the fires are not that large they are really leaving no room for wildlife to graze or hide anymore especially with all the housing developments going on all around us, so we are at present seeing a lot more wildlife living in the dry wetland area behind our place, as well as too much wildlife dead on the side of the road that I am really sad about. I normally stop when it’s safe to do so and check Kangaroo and Wallaby pouches and have been very fortunate this year in finding the occasional Joey alive needing rescuing. When we lived out bush I used to look after a lot of rescued wildlife, now unfortunately with work commitments I normally drop them to a wildlife carer who does an absolute amazing job hand raising them and they release a good majority of the wildlife back into the wilderness or depending on their condition they sometime end up in Wildlife Sanctuaries which is fantastic. The cutest animal I have ever rescued had to be Wally the Wombat, I will never forget how small he was when I found him, he was that small he fitted in the palm of my hand and was just this little pink thing with hardly any hair on him, so I wrapped him in a towel and cranked up the heater in the car to keep him as warm as I could. I will never forget that day for as long as I live.

Hi Wendy, sorry to hear the Max had a tough night last night and that the evenings are getting hard on him and you and Johnny are missing out on sleep, I really feel for you guys and must admit that I had a cry early this morning when I read your thread and I read about you thinking of doing similar like I have with my girls and take some Xmas pictures with Max, that would be so lovely for all of you to have special pictures of Max and with Max so you have ever lasting memories of what a beautiful boy he will forever be. We have countless pictures of the girls and I know that people must think us crazy but hey they mean the world to us and our lives would not be the same without them.

Wendy thanks for sharing those pics with us of all your beautiful Aechmea’s, the one’s that really intrigued me where you’re Pic 2 and Pic 4, they really stood out among the others with all their beautiful markings and gorgeous colors.

Hi Sue, great to hear you and your hubby pose for Xmas shots each year, I reckon it’s fun to post a nice or funny picture in with the Xmas cards, I know our families always can’t wait to get our card just so they can see what picture we have taken each year, we sometime dress the girls up and they get a big kick out of seeing them in their Xmas outfits but unfortunately they have outgrown their suits to wear them this year to welcome the house guests that are coming to visit lol.

Sue you sounded like you slaved away cleaning the house like I did and yes like you I am really happy things are ship shape for Xmas and before all our visitors arrive.

Hi Nev yeah like you I have never heard of Neo Grace x Break of Day (Gold form) until we saw it on EBay the other day and Joe won it for me - yeah. The only ones I thought existed were Neo Grace and Neo Break of Day, so like you I am very curious to see what it will look like when it matures, I will have to remember to post a pic down the track so everyone can see.

Nev that pic of Neo Ipswich Gold is AMAZING; I can totally understand why you have been chasing this one as it is gorgeous. If I ever come across one you will be the first to know.

Nev the reason why everyone is getting to see more threads from me during the week instead of only on the weekends is because I read them at night and then again first thing most morning before I head off to work, so that when I do have a lunch break I try to commence preparing a thread in Word rather than leaving it until the evenings when I have so many thread reading to catch up on, which leaves little time to prepare a thread before bedtime. I really enjoy being part of this forum and enjoy the fact that not only do we get to talk about our very evident brom addictions that we all share, but that we also get to share in one another’s lives in one way or another and this truly warms my heart and I feel like one big happy family.

Yeah I know I go on a bit but that’s just the type of person that I am and sometimes it’s ok to just say hey Trish I wish you would just shut up for a bit – now back to broms lol.

I still have not started potting up those broms I was supposed to start doing when I got home from work yesterday; a slack attack hit me out of nowhere and all I wanted to do after dinner was sit in front of the TV with a bowl of salty potato chips and I totally chilled out that much I fell asleep on the couch and apparently I was snoring a bit. Ah well maybe I will pot them up this arvo when I get home – I must focus on the task at hand and stop stuffing around.

Does anyone happen to be the happy owner of a Neo called Exon Tigra? I was checking out a picture of one on the net the other day and really like it and added it to my Want List. If anyone has one and can post a picture that would be appreciated so I can see if I really, really like it before I try purchasing from the seller as it is a supposed new release.

Hi Ian I just checked your thread and it looks like you may have had a blind fold on when you were typing, either that or all your fingers are broken because I could not work out what you were trying to say other than “Hi All” and “Have a Good Day” lol. Nice pips you posted of all your broms though.

Hi Bree great to see you posting again and with great brom pics, The Neo Nelson pup you sent me is doing really well, nice to see the Pic 1 you posted of your mature plant. I also have your Pic 2 Neo Boldstreak x McWilliamsii and I luv it because it is such a nice looking brom and can handle a fair bit of strong light, mine gets half day of full sun in the morning and is coping very well. Pic 5 of your Neo Stars & Bars I really like because it is just that little be different, does it get more markings than what it has now?

Anyway that’s about it for today (up to page 2 in my Word Doc) which is a bit scary given I want to check the treads when I get home this evening and send this thread off tonight with only hopefully a few more add on depending on who else I must catch up with.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone! Hi to anyone looking in or on the Sick List.

Pic 1 - Another brom garden bed that I am preparing in between the Avocado and Mango Tree
Pic 2 - Neo Lime & Lava – I luv the markings on this brom
Pic 3 - Neo Oh No Very Cherry
Pic 4 - Neo Sweet Heart (Mini)
Pic 5 - Assortment of NOIDS

Hi all i just borrowed another keyboard, the old one had letters not working. I did nothing gardenwise today
Sorry about the language it was keyboard failure language, fairly cryptic at that.
Previous post Pic 1 Some Bills
Pic 2 Vresia glutinosa in corner
Pic 3 Portea seedlings planted
Bree you liked my wifes Vanda here it is again in Pic 4
Pic 1 Vresias mostly also in Neo Medusa
Pic 2 & 4 are seedlings
Pic 5 Canistrum burchellii seedlings self sewn growing in August about 1" high then.
Have a good one all
Ian

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, we have internet access again tonight, finally, though it is intermittent. I am so over BigPond and their stuff ups, anyway, I thought I would post while I can. I haven’t had a chance yet to read all the posts and there appears to be lots of them and hopefully I will catch up over the next couple of days. If I happen to disappear again, you can bet that BigPond/Telstra is to blame.

We have had quite a few heavy showers over the last couple of days. Monday morning it absolutely bucketed down for more than an hour. It didn’t do much for the garden though as I went out to plant something after it stopped and when I moved aside the mulch, the ground was dry underneath. I couldn’t believe that it could rain so heavily and so little of it soak into the soil. We do have green grass again though still a bit patchy and the gardens are starting to look better, see pic.

Nev, I hope your burns have healed by now. Love the pics of your garden and shadehouse. By the way, Nev, the Galactic Warrior in the pic in my last post is almost 90 cm (three feet) from tip to tip.

Sue, hope your cold has improved and you are feeling better now. And if you do get any spare pups from Ae Rodco down the track, could you please keep one for me.

Wendy, hope your sale continued to go well over the weekend. I have managed to squeeze my lovely new broms into their new home. I haven’t taken photos as yet, sorry guys, but will get some in the next couple of days. Some very nice broms came home with me, thanks Wendy, but I would have loved so many more … there’s always next time though I might have to wait till we get that shadehouse extension completed.

Hi to Trish, Bree, Jen, Colleen, Ian and anyone else looking in. Lots of catch up reading to do, so many lovely pics to check out. Hope I'll be back tomorrow.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

good morning all.
Shirley, are those Cuban Royal palms in your pic? They look massive! I am glad you have got some internet access and i have my fingers crossed for you, that it stays active. I am jealous that you can get to Wendys sales. One day..............
Ian, I tried for ages to make sense of your post. heh heh. I was sure there was a hidden message in there somewhere! Your Portea seedlings are huge for their age. Are all the orchids your wifes? There doesn't look like there is much more room for broms, and now i know why you moved some to the garden.
Trish, I cracked up when you posted 'Trish, I wish you would shut up for a bit' ! Heh heh. I don't feel that way at all about you and your posts, and think its lovely that you are such a sharing, caring person. This thread, and everyone who posts in it, have become like family, and usually, when I've ever met a DG member, they are everything I've imagined them to be. I've yet to meet you, Shirley, Karen, Ian, Bree and Colleen, although I have had marathon telephone calls with Colleen in the past, so i feel like i've met her already.
I like your N. 'Lime and Lava' and the selection of broms in the new garden bed looks very attractive as well. You manage to keep quite busy and get things done despite your working life, and the odd slack attack. We all have those!
Bree, I hope you can make it on saturday, and a visit to the botanical gardens will be very rewarding. I hope the glass house is open, as they had a bit of theiving there a few years ago, and now its only open on selected days. i will look into it today for you. Apparently Peter Tristram provided some bromeliads for the display there, and last time I looked, it was really stunning. I like your Neo Nelson, and think I have alot of the same plants as in your other photos, in Leisas garden. If you get here, you will no doubt recognise them.
Nev, I actually like your idea of bill with the Chainsaw. It would suit his 'bah-humbug' hat! I will suggest it to him today. The family will all understand.
I'm looking forward to your experiment with the A. 'Mends' and might do the same with my 'Rodcos' (shirley, you are first on the list for a pup) What type of fertiliser will you use? I will use a teaspoon of Nutricote (3-4 month) and then foliar feed with thrive once a fortnite and see how it responds. I suspect it will lose colour, but I can always get it back in winter when the fertiliser stops.
I had some friends over for a xmas lunch yesterday, and didn't do much around the garden, but did pick up three bins of bark. There is plenty more to pick up, and it is still falling!
Photo one is Neoregelia 'Mr Odean'
photo two is showing Billbergia 'Dark Ladd' in front. It is even darker than the picture!
Photo three is Neo. 'Cockabell'
Photo four is N. 'Freddie' after about 3 years of growth. Still small and has thrown novars.
Photo five is a NOID that i really like, and I love the little ring of flowers.
Till tomorrow
Sue

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 6:15 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

Bromishy-all the brom i just posted are pups and all will change as they age, even the Nelson is not quite full grown and the stars and bars are really small pups at the moment. I do love your lime and lava!
Ian i have heaps of Vandas and orchids in general but they take position in my greenhouse over my broms. hehe!
Love Neo. 'Cockabell' Sue and 'Mr Odean' and that NOID. Thanks for checking that out for me and i'll let you know if im coming.
I like your Neo. Grace Nev..i think you did send me this one.
Hi Shirley!
1. Ring Leader 2. Takemura Grande 3. Gespacho
1 and 2 look similar at the moment dont they.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 4:13 PM

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi Everyone – Another day closer to Christmas and still I haven't got any closer to finishing all the jobs I'd set myself as a project. Oh and Sue, once again you've beaten me to the punch, even though I thought I'd start yesterday typing afternoon so I had a head start on you.

Bree – Good to see you back posting once again. Two Christmas diners eh? Gee you're doing alright for yourself aren't you? I hope you've put your order in to Santa for a couple more nice brom's to compliment the ones you already have. That Neo 'Grace' is a beautiful plant, however the red isn't as bright and “glaring” as it appears in the photograph. I still can't seem to be able to photograph reds accurately, even after doing Sue's trick with my hand.

They're nice pic's of plants you've posted today, especially the Neo 'Boldstreak' x McWilliamsii which you've done a particularly good job of growing. I don't think I've ever seen it with such nice wide leaves as well as great colour; you must have the ideal spot for it so whatever you do, don't move it. It's really interesting when you look closely at the patterns on the leaves of some brom's such as this one and it looks just like the pattern is painted on.

I really like the colour of the last one in the first group as well, but I have my doubts whether or not it's Neo. 'Stars 'n Bars' and certainly not like any 'Stars 'n Bars' I've ever seen. Are all of the leaves that colour or just the centre ones? There are a few plants getting around in various colours and all claiming to be 'Stars 'n Bars' but they look absolutely nothing like the ones in the pic's of the registered plant on the BCR.

I know a lot of the images on the BCR are often old “pre-digital” and poor quality, but the images in this case are very clear. Have a look and make up your own mind. http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=7254#7254

Actually I like the colour of yours better than the Neo. 'Stars 'n Bars' on the BCR. What do you know about it and do you remember where you got it from? I'd really like to know a bit more about it as I like the colours which are a bit unusual.

Ian – Whatever you have you been drinking, I want some too if it will make me type like that. What's the name of the Billbergia in the corner of your first pic? I like the little seedlings also; do you find like I did that the Bill seedlings grow a lot faster than the Neo's?

Trish – It's great to hear of your concerns for our wild life, it seems like you and I have a lot in common. I often get criticised for feeding native birds in our back yard but I just say to these people that if we didn't keep destroying native habitat with new housing developments the animals wouldn't be coming in to surburbia looking for a feed and I tell them that I'll feed anything that's hungry, even if it was them!

I don't think any of us would ever think or say (as you put it) 'Trish, I wish you would shut up for a bit', it's great to see you taking the time to share your thoughts and knowledge with us. If anything, it's probably me who should “shut up” as I sometimes tend to think I'm taking over the forum with my “long winded” explanations and sometimes think that's why a lot of people don't post very often. I like to share information and that's the way I am, but if anyone thinks I'm saying too much, just say so and I'll do more reading and less writing.

When I saw that cross name of Neo 'Grace' x 'Break of Day' I immediately sat up and took notice as I don't remember seeing either of these two plants used in breeding programmes before. It's only this year that I have put down some seed my self using 'Break of Day' as a parent. I love the colour and the smallish compact size so I've crossed it with 'Small World', 'Cheery Day' and a couple of other similar size plants.

I wish I did have a plant of Neo 'Exon-Tigra'; I first saw a pic of this plant about 2005 and have been looking for it ever since. I think you people in Queensland would have more luck than I as that was where it came from originally. It's certainly has most unusual markings and the history is interesting as well. The BCR tells us that:
“Mature rosette to 45cms. diameter. Seed-grown mutation from intraspecific concentrica cross which over several generations since 2003 has retained purplish brown central stripes with minor variations. Reg Doc. 5/2011. Country of origin: Queensland Australia “

If anyone wants to see the pic it can be found at:http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10603#10603

I like the collection of colour in your first pic, which reminds me that I have to put a few variegated plants throughout my garden to liven it up a bit. Neo. 'Lime and Larva' is another plant I'm still chasing, so if anyone has a pup they want to swap, please let me know.

I don't know Neo 'Oh No Very Cherry' although I have heard of it before; It does look similar to Neo. Oh! No! But I can's find it as registered on the BCR so maybe it's a “pet name” or possible it's a cross between Neo's 'Oh! No!' and 'Very Cherry' as both of these plants have been around for a while and maybe the name tag was Neo's 'Oh No' x 'Very Cherry' and over the years the “x” has been dropped off.....just a thought.

The plant in your last pic looks a bit similar to Neoregelia 'Midnight Moment', but I can't be sure. I'll see if I can find a pic later today and post it tomorrow for comparison.

Shirley – Nice to see you can post again. Did BigPond give you and early Christmas present? Thanks for asking about the “cooked tummy”, everythings good now, just a couple of little bits to heal and then back to normal, unfortunately it didn't burn off any of the fat I've been trying to loose.

That's good to get some feedback on your 'Galactic Warrior', it's almost impossible to estimate size from pic's unless there is some sort of grid (like in Ians pic's) or a sandal (in Sue's). Even the BCR doesn't always give sizes. However having said that, I've never seen one that big down here; are you feeding it and do you have any cultural tricks you would like to share with the rest of us? That's certainly a nice “bushy” setting in the pic you've posted, just my cup of tea.

Sue – It will be good if you do a fertiliser trial as well as me as it will prove once and for all if the plants at fault for its “slow growth” or it's our cultural methods. Pleased you say what fertiliser you'll use too, that way I can make sure I sue something different.

Where do you get your “Nutricote” from? I can't find it anywhere down here not even in the wide range at Bunnings. I'm told it's supposed to be better than Osmocote as Osmocote can sometimes give a sudden release of Nitrogen resulting in a “growth spurt” which is less than desirable, especially if you're grooming a plant for showing. As for the trial, I'll use Osmocote High K and boost it with Phostrogen. It will be interesting to see the results. Don't forget to take some “before and after” pic's and also measure the plants so we can more accurately compare results.

You've done a nice job with your Mr. O' Dean, it looks great. I have a few of my “Sunbird Hybrids” which have Mr. O' Dean as the seed parent so it will be interesting to see what they produce.
Bill. 'Dark Ladd' eh? Seems like you've been shopping at Ross's also; I have this plant as well, it's another from the “Allan Ladd Stable” and has to be the darkest Bill I've ever seen down here or any where else for that matter. I seem to remember getting a Cockabell pup some time back but I just can't find it anymore. Seems like a stock take is called for after all this time! Your Neo Freddie is nice also, but don't you just hate it when they produce NOVARS? (For anyone new reading these posts, a “NOVAR” is when a variegated plant produces a pup with no variegation. The word NOVAR meaning NO VARiegations)

I also like the NOID (NOIDentity.) in your last pic, it seems to me to have a lot of Neo. concentrica in its breeding background, don't you think?

Time to go so I'll finish with a few pic's, Pic.1 is a little hybrid I made from a Neo. 'Painted Lady' (sport) cross, nothing special but I like the colour that's why I kept it; Pic. 2 is another of my crosses, this time Neo. Concentrica x [Charm x Cracker Jack], I think the ants may have had a hand in this one as it's nothing like any of the others from that same cross; Pic.3 I think is Nidularium 'Leprosa'; can anyone confirm this? ; Pic.4 is Neo. 'Fire Wheel' and Pic.5 is the centre of one of the may types of Neo Cruenta showing a close-up of the flowers.

All the best, Nev.

Yeah i like my stars and bars? better to Nev. Heres a photo of the mum which has had it now and the pup atm. I don't know where i got it, ebay probably.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Well we got a small amount of rain last night that I witnessed with my own eyes when taking the girls out to go to the toilet last night, they were very reluctant though in going out because they didn’t want to get their paws wet, anyway the grass and path looked wet and the air smelt nice and fresh so I was pleased we got some rain, but today is the same as yesterday, patchy clouds amongst blue sky and a good breeze blowing with not a raincloud in sight.

Hi Sue thanks for your nice remark regarding me getting things done in the garden despite my working life. I try my utmost darndest to keep on top of everything the best I can with the limited time I have but its not easy and sometimes I get really frustrated with myself when I have not achieved all that I want to achieve in the garden over the weekend, plus naturally wanting to spend quality time with Joe who at times I am sure gets pretty annoyed with how much time I do spend in the garden, but he hides it well and is really sweet as often buys me broms from E-Bay because he knows how much joy I get from them and knows this is my stress relief, aside from the lovely cups of tea he brings out to me so we can sit, relax, chat and sit back an enjoy the garden for a bit.

Sue thanks also for your nice comments on what you think of me, very kind of you and glad you got a laugh at what I said about myself, but hey it’s so true – just shut up Trish, just shut up lol. Yeah I agree we are like one BIG happy family through the wonderful aid of this great forum and it really does make a difference in one’s life when you can be part of each others lives from all different parts of Australia and other Countries, I feel very privileged for the wonderful opportunity and thank everyone, you guys are awesome.

Sue your Pic 1 Neo Mr. Odean appears to look different to the color of mine which is more of a dark Caramel Brown all over with dark tips. I will look for a photo to post for comparison. What type of light situation do you have yours growing in? Mine is in semi-shade out in the garden bed. Your Pic 3 Neo ‘Cockabell’ reminds me of my Neo ‘Red McCaw’, are they at all related? Your Pic 5 NOID is gorgeous and is another one that reminds me of Neo Cliff Siverd as appears to have similarities with the banding marks, do you reckon it will color up anymore?

Hi Bree thanks for clarifying that the Pics you posted back on 10/12/12 are all pups with much more growing to do, it is so hard to tell sometimes in the photos what is or is not a pup. I liked all the Pics you posted on 11/12/12 also. I only have one orchid and it’s a Vanda that hangs in our Mango Tree that gets large purple and white flowers, I will have to find some old pics I took to post but I have a feeling the pictures I took of it in flower were lost when one or our hard drives crashed last month (sad face).

Yeah Sue, Bree and Nev isn’t the Neo Lime and Lava pic I posted nice, but since purchasing the pup (sometime ago) I noticed that it is taking forever to grow, it is definitely a very slow grower although it has grown new leaves and appears to be in good health it I yet to still flower and pup for me.

Hi Shirley luved your great garden shot you posted with your broms under those beautiful big palm trees, do the old palm fronds ever smash your broms to smithereens when they fall or do you somehow cut them off before they are ready to fall? I have broms under a tall palm tree in our pool area so I am concerned about falling fronds and I am keeping an eye on the palm tree. I may need to get up on the roof when the time comes to remove so they do not damage my broms, either that or move my broms when the time comes?

Shirley glad to hear your internet is working for now, hope you don’t experience any more trouble especially this close to Xmas when there is already so much we have to deal with.

Hi Nev yeah I totally agree with you we seem to have a lot in common when it comes to our respect for wildlife and we both adore dogs, oh and then there is all our amazing bromeliads that we collect. I noticed there a quiet a few people in this forum who also have a keen interest for wildlife given the great pics that get posted around from our own back yards, how lucky are we all. Nev I agree that there is no harm in feeding and providing water for birds as there is not much left out there for them in the way of rainforests / wetlands etc, we have a bird feeder fixed to our back fence overlooking the wetlands and I sometimes put fruit there for them and they really enjoy it.

Nev your posts are fantastic and are always full of wonderful information coming from a person with much experience in life and the knowledge of growing bromeliads for many years. This forum would not be the same without your awesome posts, as it is we really dislike when your computer goes on the blink, when we don’t get to hear from you, but hey thankfully Sue came to the rescue for us all last time your computer played up. Nev don’t you dare change anything about you because we like you exactly as you are and I know that I cherish everything about you!

Nev it would be great to see what results you achieve from the seeds you have sown of crossing ‘Break of Day’ with ‘Small World’, ‘Cherry Day’ and of the other similar sized plants.

So Nev Neo ‘Exon-Tigra’ is a neighbor of mine been from QLD and we have never met before lol. I am going to do my utmost best to track it down and will do a bit of a call around to some of the sellers I know to see if I can get my hands on some and by all means if I find more than one I will get one for you also. Nev I will let you know if I get any pups off Neo Lime & Lava, I wish it would hurry up and grow some more.

Nev your probably right about what you say about Neo Oh No Very Cherry that it could be possibly its pet name and that it’s more than likely called Neo Oh No x Very Cherry, unfortunately this is how we purchased it from E-Bay and how the label was written when received? I will have to take another look at the purchase paperwork I kept and see if I can shed any light on the matter?

Hey Nev that last pic I posted yesterday (Pic 5) that you think might be Neo ‘Midnight Moment’ is that NOID I posted awhile back that I thought was Neo ‘Stormy Weather’, I really like it a lot and am so pleased I saved it from a trip to the dump. Now I realize with advice from this wonderful forum that Neo ‘Stormy Weather’ is a mini grower and looked nothing like my NOID. Thanks Nev that would be great if you could post a pic of ‘Midnight Moment’ for comparison.

Nev especially liked Pics 1 & 2 that you posted, these are gorgeous broms, WOW I can’t believe these are your crosses, how clever are you. Nev your Pic 3 is definitely Nidularium ‘Leprosa’, I just looked it up in my Andrew Steens Bromeliad Book called The Connoisseur’s Guide and it is in there on page 249. The Author writes that Nidularium ‘Leprosa’ was once considered to be a hybrid, but it is now accepted as one of the older cultivars of N. rutilans. It is a fairly large-growing cultivar, up to 50 cm in diameter, and is particularly notable for its lovely combination of shell-pink bracts, bright orange petals and overall spotting of rose pink.

Anyway I better post this tread, find some pics and post again in a minute.

Trish

Townsville, Australia

Pic 1 - NOID saved from going to the dump
Pic 2 - Neo 'Mr Odean' for Sue to compare with her's
Pic 3 - Neo 'Mr Odean' for Sue to compare with her's
Pic 4 - Neo 'Midnight Moment' - Nev I just found this pic which is very different to the NOID I posted in Pic 5 yesterday, anyway I found a better pic I too outside which is todays Pic 5. Pic 4 and 5 are nothing alike. Nev what does your Neo 'Midnight Moment' look like?
Pic 5 - NOID??????

Anyway time to head off for the evening.

Hi Everyone and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Townsville, Australia

Oops my brom pics got scrambled after I posted:

Pic 1 is still the same as before
Pic 2 is now of NOID in question?
Pic 3 & 4 are Neo 'Mr Odean'
Pic 5 is Neo 'Midnight Moment'.

Cheers Trish

Hi all, another dry day with a bit of wind building up tonite. We also had a few drops of rain, could you call it that and now a clear sky. A stove repair today so no work with my broms, i have to eat first so that I can do other things.
Yay success with Quesnelia seeds ,some have germinated sort of today 8 days after planting.
Nev that Bil if it is the big red one is Catherine wilson. It has nice colour I think.
That plant Stars and Bars reminds me of one that I think Trish posted a few months ago and called it Twotone. I am not saying it is the same plant but I am just going on memory and think i see similarities. I could also be barking up the wrong tree. It is a beautiful plant no matter what it's name is.
Sue Some of the orchids were mine but I got dissilusioned with them, I knew it all and couldn't learn. She now buys them and expects me to look after them. The get the same treatment as my broms. that is all i have time for.
I have to build some crash barriers over my outside broms to keep the palm fronds from falling on them. That is an early next year project. Unlike Trish i am not going to climb to remove them.
There are lots of nice piccies shared by everyone.
I haven't seen or heard anything of mike since i joined here.
Oh No Very cherry seems a popular plant here
Have a good one
ian
Pic 1 Ae noid seedlings planted 24 06 12
Pic2 Neo mini noid in a 3" pot
Pic 3 Bil Catherine wilson some time ago
Pic 4 Bil Estrelle
Pic 5 Bil Noid

Trish i really like your photo 2 Noid, 'Mr Odean' and 'Midnight Moment', very nice. A purple and white Vanda, i would have loved to see the photo of them flowers, damn computers.
Ian look at these two tones, i dont know what mine is but ive never seen anything like it. http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=7627#7627

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 8:07 AM

Hi everyone. after a busy weekend we have had a busy day today. very early start and we took Johnny's sister Patricia to see Ross Little. Trisha has just started collecting broms so we were keen to see her reaction to Pingrove Nursery. It was like watching a kid on christmas morning seeing their presents and deciding which one to play with first. LOL. We had to go down there t get some more large alc extensas while he still had them. we have been going through them at our sales. Anyway we had a very succesful haul today albeit an expensive shopping trip. we were a but squishy with 3 of us in the front seat and the back was a bit squishy with all the broms. Tomorrow we have about 100 seedlings to pot up tomorrow now but so happy with our haul. we've saved ourselves about 2 years of growing from seed.

Shirley we were talking to someone last week who works for telstra in Brisbane. apparently the complaints dept is still in Brisbane so if you are sick of being [email protected]##d around by their call centre staff just ask to talk to the complaints department. That way you can get someone in Australia who will probably fix your problem in the time it takes you to click your fingers. good luck. he said sometimes he has trouble understanding the call centre staff so he doesn't know how customers manage it.

Sue I was talking to Ross today and he spoke about someone in Qld posting a pic of 'Mr Odean' on fb and he told them to make sure to write their label as 'mister odean' which is the registered name not the abbreviated 'mr'. so to keep Ross happy maybe we better start calling it the full name. LOL. I wish we were a bit closer to you so we could go that bit further to pick up some blanchetiana pups. We went through all our potted ones last weekend and Johnny even cut pups straight off the plants and sold them too. as I've said before we can't get enough of them so if you find you can't get rid of yours give us a call and we'll happily take them off your hands for the right price LOL

I bought some billbergia seed today straight off the mother plant. it is hallelujah x domingos martins. both of these are strong plants so seedlings should be good. anyhow I thought the seed was a bit expensive at $5 for a single pod but hey I'd already said I would buy some before price was spoken so my fault. he listed some good crosses coming up that he would have seed to sell so I'm tempted. I bought 2 pots of his domingos martins x windigig special. pots were full of tubes of nice black bills so looked great. worth $10 I thought. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you to see. I didn't even take my camera with me today as I've been to Pinegrove so many times I didn't think there would be anything new to take pic of. I should have known better as there is always something flowering so I missed a good pic shot of ae maria reginia in flower (I think that is what it is called). anyway t was a nice pic missed.

for those of you who haven't any chance of getting to Wardell near Ballina in NSW to see Pinegrove Nursery there is the shadehouse areas and then there is a heap of bush down the back where Ross plants the mothers and he purchased the property with the bush planted with broms on the ground and in the trees. sometimes the weight of the broms has snapped the branch off and it is just sitting on the ground covered in broms. it is mind boggling to see foliage vriseas in clumps in among neos, aechmeas, hohenbergias, billbergias and anything else you can think of all mixed in together. Ross has been there for years now and when something flowers down the back that hasn't flowered there before he gets to name another clump of previously NOIDs. there are still plants down there that he is waiting to flower so he can positively ID. we got another aechmea arapensis this time with a good clump of roots so should have success with growing it this time. last one was cut off to high and rotted off. I'll find the pics of previous visit for you.

Pic 1 is arapensis. the stem is like a piece of wood with this large hard clump on top. natives used these as a weapon apparently. I collected seed from Ross's plant down the back.
pic 2 is billbergia Alan Ladd which Ross is selling for big $$$$. he has just flowered and crossed it and is waiting for seed for form. I want one .........
pic 5 is billbergia Maurie's ladd which I really really want a pup of but again he has flowered, crossed and is waiting for seed.
pic 3 is vr bituminosa growing in the bush down the back.
pic 4 is dykia naked lady which was flowering last time we were there and today the seed was flying everywhere with the wind so Helen had to get a bag and give it a good shake to collect as much seed as she could.

There seemed to be a lot more branches down in the bush this time and a lot more sunshine getting through to the broms so I think there has been a bit of wind down there lately. Ross may have to remove the damaged shadecloth and replace it with some new to protect his stock plants.

Thanks to all those who are caring enough to ask after Max. After I posted about his bad night and sleepy day he has been having several days of really good health and you wouldn't even know he has anything wrong. he is starting to clear his throat a bit but not too bad last couple of days. we know another bad day will come but while we are having good days we will keep on as we are. Thanks for being caring mates.

well time for bed again. sitting in a passenger seat is sooooooo tiring isn't it LOL

night all
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, it has been relatively cool here today … strange weather, heat waves, cold winds, heavy rain … what next?

Sue, the palms in the foreground of my pic are actually Spindle palms. They were rather untidy when they were smaller as the leaf shafts remained on the trunk after the frond died and they were difficult to remove but the palms have been there about 25 years now and are self cleaning. The seeds can be a bit messy so I generally remove them before the pods open. Most of the palms in the background are Foxtails, lovely palms but also rather messy with lots of very large orange seeds.

Yes Sue, I am hoping that we keep our internet access though we are experiencing problems again. And I always enjoy going to Wendy’s sales, already looking forward to the next one.

Bree, love your pics, especially your Stars n Bars.

Nev, I am just so infuriated with BigPond and their service … what service, you say ... I am about to explode. Anyway, the steam coming out of my ears is fogging up the monitor so I’ll go get a cuppa and calm down.

I can’t take the credit for the size of the Galactic Warrior, Nev, as I bought it only a few months ago and other than removing a nice pup, I haven’t done a thing, though it does have much better colour now. I will post a pic of when I purchased it and a recent one for comparison. By the way, love your Neo. 'Broulee Beauty', do you have any spare pups, I would love one of those. And I can see why you are chasing neo Ipswich Gold.

Trish, I have placed succulents under the palms as I don’t want to risk harming my broms if the fronds fall, though they do seem to hang for a couple of days prior to dropping and if I am vigilant I can pull them away from any plants underneath. Succulents are virtually indestructible and if they happen to get broken, the bits will usually all grow anyway. My broms are a different story, they are a protected species. Love your neo Mister Odean.

Wendy, glad to hear Max is feeling good again. He seemed fine last Friday so I was really disappointed to hear he was crook. Do you remember the tillandsia x 3 on the piece of wood I got from you … would you know the name of the till please. And you know those totem rings, I was so keen to put them up and add broms … well, our steel posts are skinnier so now we have to try to tighten them to make them fit … bugger.

We may take your advice and try the BigPond complaints department. I know Michael did speak to them a couple of weeks ago, might be time to get back to them. And lucky you, with your brom haul, you’ll have to have another sale to make room :o)

Hi to everyone else, I’m still catching up with my reading after missing a week’s posts.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

good Morning all. What a nice spot of reading to do this morning.
Shirley, glad to hear the spindle palms are not too hard to keep clean. I've seen the fronds from the Cuban Royals, which line the road to the botanic gardens here, and they are massive! They would certainly damage anything planted underneath. We only have bangalows and Alexander palms, but they are beginning to get some height on them now, and it is getting harder to remove the fronds before they fall, but both hubby and I are quite vigilant.
Good luck with the complaints department. I hope it is sorted before xmas.
Your xNeophytum 'Galactic warrior'is a beaut. I have one from Nev, that I must have a look at. It is hanging up near the top of the brom house, slightly forgotten! Yours has coloured up well since you got it!
Wendy, it sounds like you had another great visit at Ross'. There is always something to see there. I was there once when the Aechmea mariae-reginae was in flower too. Its a big plant!
Depending on what you call the right price, there are quite a few spare blanchettianas here if you want any, but most are damaged by wind , cold, or sun burn, so I am slowly going through and removing damaged leaves, as well as repotting any that are in need. They are quite bitey too!
There have been plants of Billbergia 'Domingos martins' x 'Hallelujah' floating around in Coffs for a couple of years, and they are very similar to B. 'Domingos Martins' in size and colour. I would think it pretty hard to improve on one or the other? It will be interesting to see how yours turn out. Very steep price for one pod, I agree.
As for Neoregelia 'Mister Odean' I was quoting the spelling on the label, so now must go and correct it. Poor Ross. It must be hard having a name fetish! I think every time I have visited with him, he has a bee in his bonnet about some name or other. Thanks to people like him and Derek Butcher (and others) at least we are informed and things get sorted out....eventually!
While we are correcting names, Wendy, did you know that you spell Vriesea wrong? Been meaning to tell you for ages. just needed the right reminder.
Ian, congratulations on your new stove and your gemination success! What did you cook to christen your stove?
Luckily for your wife, and the orchids, orchids seem to thrive on the same care as bromeliads, at least in my experience anyway.
Another nice lot of photos for us there too, I see.
Trish, my Neo. 'Mister Odean' was similar in colour to yours, while it was growing in the garden under shade from the trees, but now it is in the brom house, under 70% beige cloth, but getting all day light. I was surprised to see it getting so much colour. I wonder how much more it will get? I'm not sure that I like it, as I was attracted to the 'wood finish' initially.
I think the same as you, that N. Red Macaw' and N. 'Cockabell' are very similar. I tried to find out on the Bromeliad photo index, but no parents are listed for either, and the link to 'Uncle Derek says' (on N. 'Cockabell') doesn't appear to work.
The NOID Neo I posted previously, doesn't change colour more, from memory. This was the first pup. The original plant was a big green Neo, similar to a 'Gee Whizz' that doesn't get enough light, but not a Gee Whizz. I introduced it to more light, because I knew it had to be more than a green plant, else why would the grower have it at all? I did gro the first one in more light, almost full sun, and it was a bit more yellow, but this one is grown under the 70% beige, which usually gets the best from the neos.
Nev, I do think it might have concentrica in it. (same NOID as above)
I get my nutricote from the horticultural supplier. Its quite exxy, as i buy it in a big bag, but it lasts me years. I am down to my last 4 litres though, so will have to scare myself and put in an order, and see how much it is now! I used to work in a wholeslae nursery, and thats what thy used, so I followed their example. I noticed i had already sprinkled some around both Aechmea 'Rodco's when i potted them, so i will pick the bits off the one i will not fertilise.
I may have a pup off N. 'Cockabell' if you find you dont have one. I am selling the mature one this weekend (if I get a buyer) and have two pups in the garden. I only need to keep one.
I'm pretty sure I have some of your N. 'Mister Odean' seedling crosses. I will go and see how thy are getting on, today.
I love the neo in your second pic. It has some very nice colour. well done
Seems the computer is telling me I've been on too long, so lucky last....
Bree, I also bought a Neo. 'Stars and Bars' from Ebay. I was dissappointed with it, and on sold it before it matured. I wish i had held onto it now, as the mature one looks quite interesting. I like the white centre. I also like your Neo. 'Ring Leader'
Photo one is Neo 'Ashanti' I'm am guessing that is the maximum colour. It IS alot like Cliff siverd'?
Photo two is Billbergia 'Peggy Sue' which I thought might be good breeding stock? just for the dark colouring.
photo three is for Nev. Whats that in hubbys hand?
Sue

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 6:55 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone out there in “Brom World”, I hope everyone's well and all those who were unwell are now recovering OK.

Bree – Your 'Stars 'n Bars' looks a bit different now that you show more of the green in the outside of the leaves. Even though it doesn't look like the one that is registered under that name, I think it's a more attractive plant and could you put my name down for a swap when you get a spare pup please?

Bree you've just clearly demonstrated why we can't ID a plant accurately from a picture. The three pic's of Neo. 'Two Tone' on the BCR link you provided look nothing like each other. And if shown as three separate pictures without names, I'll bet everyone would think they were three different plants.

Trish – Pleased to hear you got a bit of rain even though it wasn't much. Isn't it amazing how nice and fresh just a brief shower can make the garden smell? Wouldn't it be good if we could just go to Bunnings whenever we wanted to and buy a big bottle of rain with all the special additives in it to freshen up the garden at will. I suppose when you think about it, that's what all gardeners have been trying to come up with for centuries as we add fertiliser and trace elements to the water we put on our plants, but we never seem to be able to truly emulate Mother Nature do we?

What you say about trying to get all of the work in the garden done within the available time available outlines the following facts; when we are young and fit we never seem to get it all done as there are so many other things to do and lack of sufficient time is the problem. When we get old and are retired, we seem to have plenty of time but we're not as fit as we once were and consequently everything takes longer to achieve. I know that for myself, things that once took me half an hour now seem to take me half a day, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

Your comment on Sue's Neo. 'Mister Odean' prompts me to also say that my plant is a bit darker than Sue's as well, but then I've seen a lot of pic's of this plant and none of them seem the same so maybe it's just one of those plants which are more affected by the amount of light they receive than others.

As for the possibility of Neo. 'Cockabell' and Neo. 'Red Macaw' being related; I guess we'll never know as as they are both from different sources. Neo. 'Cockabell' was a Hummel hybrid (1977) and it's now common knowledge, for some reason Hummel never gives the names of any parents when registering plants. To read the whole article and see the pic's go to: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3663#3663

All that is recorded about Neo. 'Red Macaw' is that it was registered by J Catlan; no date is recorded but it was seed grown by K Bradtberg AU and it has links with Neo. Johannis. To see pic, go to http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=6668#6668

Thanks for the kind words about my posts and I hope you all enjoy reading them as much as I like writing them, you see , while I write these posts, it helps to keep my old brain and arthritic fingers working.

In regards to Neo 'Oh No Very Cherry', I always remember what I was once told by a very experienced brom/orchid grower, and that was, “never trust the name on a name tag”. Like most people, I use the name that was on the plant when I first obtained it until I can prove it's wrong either by looking at records or being told by a respected grower that it's incorrect. I think that's all any of us can do; we will never be able to control what other people do and while ever people continue to give plants “pet names”, the problem just gets worse. Also thanks for the “thumbs up” on the name of 'Leprosa' for my Nidularium.

Ian – It seems that rain keeps avoiding you and you just can't seem to get a decent soaking. Maybe Santa Claus will bring you some rain for Christmas.

It's good to see you've had some success with your Quesnelia seeds. All we have to do now is wait and see what they turn out to be; either a selfing, a cross with another Quesnelia or perhaps even a new bi-generic cross, who knows? Your Ae. NOID seedlings are looking good also and it looks like you'll have a few more surprises with them also; isn't it interesting growing from seed; surprises, surprises surprises.

Wendy - What you say about what Ross said about Neo. 'Mister Odean' has really caught me out going against my own advice to others. I always accepted the name Mr. O'Dean as being correct as that was what was on the name tag of my plant when I got it from a respected Mail Order Bromeliad Nursery; seems you can't even trust the professional any more either.

The cost of your Bill seed depends on how many seeds are in the pod, if there are enough seeds to sow a whole take-way container (about 30 seeds), well I think that's a fair price. These prices vary a lot depending on how much seed the hybridiser has, how rare it is and how difficult it is to cross initially, so I guess everything is relevant. It sounds to me that you've paid Allan Ladd a visit, as he lists Bill. crosses using those parents and I've bought quite a bit of seed from him in the past and can recommend it as good quality as I've always had good results. I like the plant of Bill. 'Maurie's Ladd'; is it another of Allan Ladd's hybrids?

Very pleased to hear that Max is rallying and having some good days at last, lets hope this keeps on and you and Johnny can continue to give him the love and care he's become accustomed to.

Shirley – Good to see you're back and posting again and making up for lost time. Isn't it infuriating when the internet connection goes down and you can't keep up with all of the posts; and then when it comes back on again you have such a backlog of reading to do you think you'll never catch up; at least that's what happened to me.

I'm sorry but I forgot to add to that pic of Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' I posted , that it's not a "registered name" and very likely a “pet name” given by either the hybridiser or the grower who possibly lived in Broulee. Whatever the name is, I still think it's an attractive plant and it seems you like it also.

That's a nice plant of 'Galactic Warrior'; the trick is now to keep it growing as well and try and get the pup up to the same size; if you can do that, you'll know you are doing all the right things.

Sue – I'm running very late this morning and whenever this happens there is always heaps of reading to do, but I'm not complaining as it's great to see so many people posting.

I also have a couple of plants of two different hybrids from Billbergia 'Domingos Martins' x 'Hallelujah' which originally came from Allan Ladd. I think he's used both of these as well as Windigig Special as parents in his Bill. Breeding programme for a while now and I wouldn't be surprised if the ones you say are floating around the Coffs area came from him originally as well. I have to agree with you as I think it would need to be a pretty “special” seedling that was better than either Hallelujah or Domingos Martins.

It seems like me, you too have been caught out with the Mister Odean label,. and how well I know of Ross's obsession for correcting incorrect names, it seems it's been a crusade of his for years. It's a pity a few more of these knowledgeable brom. growers didn't follow in his footsteps.

I'd really love to swap a pup of Neo. 'Cockabell' if you have one to spare, so if you drop me a D-Mail and tell me what you would like in return we can sort something out.

My 'Mister Odean' seedlings are just starting to show a little colour now, although they are growing in less than ideal light. I think I'll move some under the beige shade cloth and see what eventuates.

That's great colour in your 'Ashanti' I hope mine colours up that much; I do have it beneath beige shade cloth and that's the best light it's going to get down here so I'll just have to wait and see. Nice “barring” on your Bill 'Peggy Sue' also (reminds me of a song when I was a lad).

I'm just now looking at your pic 3; that's better, now everyone can see just what a monster this Alcantarea really is and the spike certainly can't be cut off with ordinary secateurs. That's where Bill and the chain saw come in, but tell Bill not to get his whiskers tangled up in the chain, Ouch!

That'll do me for today and I'll finish with two pic's of Neo 'Mister Odean' (from various sources, but not mine) for comparison and also some Neo. Midnight Moment pic's taken of my plant in different seasons.

All the best, Nev.

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Another day closer to the weekend – yeah!

Well I managed to get a couple of broms potted last night so I was pleased with that but I still have a good 12 left to pot and we have visitors arriving Saturday so I better get a move along as the weekends are going to be a blur from here into the New Year.

Nev / Shirley I will be posting the Pink Gingers to you this Saturday morning, hope you get them in time for Xmas?

Hi Bree the Pic 2 NOID I posted yesterday and the day before is of the mother of the pup I have growing just about ready to post in the mail to you. Can you please D-Mail me with your Contact/Postal info when you get a chance. Glad to hear you still like it though lol, it will be great in your garden because it can take a lot of sun as it has thick leathery leaves so will do great in your garden and pups well. The pup I have for you is just starting to get some flecks of color.

Bree I will try to find a pic of my Vanda in flower, I remember when I brought it from an Orchid show this year it grew two beautiful large flower spikes each side of the Orchid with a wonderful spray of flowers that were just gorgeous, anyway hopefully I am able to track down the photos otherwise hopefully the next time it flowers I will take some pics to post.

Bree I will re-post a pic of Neo ‘Two Tone’ which is very different to your Neo ‘Stars and Bars’, good try though Ian for taking a guess.

Hi Wendy, sounds like you and Johnny are going to be very busy indeed potting up those 100 seedlings and will have saved 2 years up your sleeves. Sounds like you came home with a great haul of broms and that you did very well. Look forward to seeing pics of your newly acquired purchases.

Wendy we are so pleased to hear that Max is doing better, thanks for keeping us up to speed on how he is going.

Ian it would be great to see the contraption you are thinking of building to catch palm fronds falling on your broms. Yeah I know climbing on the roof to cut palm fronds sounds a bit daunting but I am not scared of heights and because the palm tree is so close to our house roof top I think it would be the easiest approach for me.

Hi Shirley thank for clarifying that under those large beautiful palm trees of yours sits Succulents not Bromeliads, as you say at least if they get smashed with a palm frond bits of the succulents will just break off and grow again, they are not lost forever. I have a collection of succulents at home that I really like because they are so easy to grow and strike cuttings from.

Shirley I adore the pics you posted of Galactic Warrior, their leaf spans are massive, what a standout of the crowd brom they are.

Shirley best of luck with sorting out your internet issues with the complaints dept, I hope matter gets sorted before Xmas.

Hi Sue that explains why your Neo ‘Mister Odean’ has different coloring to mine, yeah mine lives outside and gets sun up until about 11am, I have a couple of identical pairs of them in different parts of the garden and they are exactly the same color. I do still like yours though just color is so much softer in color.

Oh Sue I adore the Xmas pic you posted of Hubby and You and the Chainsaw, too funny! You guys look like such a happy go lucky, down to earth kind of people, I was so pleased that you posted the pic to share with all of us. You look great in your garden attire sporting tools and all, that’s kind of how I get around in the garden and I am sure my hubby hates that I wear the same baseball cap all the time which is my Hamilton Island Renegade Fishing Charters cap that I luv but has seen better days.

Sue the Neo ‘Ashanti’ pic you posted is gorgeous; I already have this one on my Want List because my favorite color is purple. I have seen it on EBay a couple of times but got out bided – darn lol. Anyway sooner or later I will track one down I just have to learn to be patient along with the others on my Want List.

Hi Nev yes wouldn’t it be great if we could by a big bottle of rain with all the right additives from Bunnings, trouble is I would constantly be spraying it in my face to get a fix given how much I have missed it lol.

Yeah Nev maybe everything balances out in the end when it comes to having enough time in the garden. I know that since been in the Mining Industry instead of the Construction Industry that this has well and truly freed up some of my weekend time as I used to have to work most Saturdays, as well as I used to bring a lot work home with me during the week and worked late hours. Now I have every weekend off and find time during the week to run personal errands during my lunch break, catch up with friends for lunch. I was pleased with myself this year because I got to get my Xmas cards out in time and that’s not normally the case.

Nic Pics you posted Nev of Neo ‘Mister Odean’ and the different seasons of Neo ‘Midnight Moment’, you could easily think these are of all different broms when they are all the same.

Anyway that’s it for me this evening.

Big Hi to Anyone looking in and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 – Neo ‘Two Tone’ (Mother and Pups – pic taken a year ago) 4394
Pic 2 – Neo ‘Two Tone (close up of pup) 4397
Pic 3 – Neo ‘Two Tone (close up of old mum) 4395
Pic 4 Hi Everyone!

Another day closer to the weekend – yeah!

Well I managed to get a couple of broms potted last night so I was pleased with that but I still have a good 12 left to pot and we have visitors arriving Saturday so I better get a move along as the weekends are going to be a blur from here into the New Year.

Nev / Shirley I will be posting the Pink Gingers to you this Saturday morning, hope you get them in time for Xmas?

Hi Bree the Pic 2 NOID I posted yesterday and the day before is of the mother of the pup I have growing just about ready to post in the mail to you. Can you please D-Mail me with your Contact/Postal info when you get a chance. Glad to hear you still like it though lol, it will be great in your garden because it can take a lot of sun as it has thick leathery leaves so will do great in your garden and pups well. The pup I have for you is just starting to get some flecks of color.

Bree I will try to find a pic of my Vanda in flower, I remember when I brought it from an Orchid show this year it grew two beautiful large flower spikes each side of the Orchid with a wonderful spray of flowers that were just gorgeous, anyway hopefully I am able to track down the photos otherwise hopefully the next time it flowers I will take some pics to post.

Bree I will re-post a pic of Neo ‘Two Tone’ which is very different to your Neo ‘Stars and Bars’, good try though Ian for taking a guess.

Hi Wendy, sounds like you and Johnny are going to be very busy indeed potting up those 100 seedlings and will have saved 2 years up your sleeves. Sounds like you came home with a great haul of broms and that you did very well. Look forward to seeing pics of your newly acquired purchases.

Wendy we are so pleased to hear that Max is doing better, thanks for keeping us up to speed on how he is going.

Ian it would be great to see the contraption you are thinking of building to catch palm fronds falling on your broms. Yeah I know climbing on the roof to cut palm fronds sounds a bit daunting but I am not scared of heights and because the palm tree is so close to our house roof top I think it would be the easiest approach for me.

Hi Shirley thank for clarifying that under those large beautiful palm trees of yours sits Succulents not Bromeliads, as you say at least if they get smashed with a palm frond bits of the succulents will just break off and grow again, they are not lost forever. I have a collection of succulents at home that I really like because they are so easy to grow and strike cuttings from.

Shirley I adore the pics you posted of Galactic Warrior, their leaf spans are massive, what a standout of the crowd brom they are.

Shirley best of luck with sorting out your internet issues with the complaints dept, I hope matter gets sorted before Xmas.

Hi Sue that explains why your Neo ‘Mister Odean’ has different coloring to mine, yeah mine lives outside and gets sun up until about 11am, I have a couple of identical pairs of them in different parts of the garden and they are exactly the same color. I do still like yours though just color is so much softer in color.

Oh Sue I adore the Xmas pic you posted of Hubby and You and the Chainsaw, too funny! You guys look like such a happy go lucky, down to earth kind of people, I was so pleased that you posted the pic to share with all of us. You look great in your garden attire sporting tools and all, that’s kind of how I get around in the garden and I am sure my hubby hates that I wear the same baseball cap all the time which is my Hamilton Island Renegade Fishing Charters cap that I luv but has seen better days.

Sue the Neo ‘Ashanti’ pic you posted is gorgeous; I already have this one on my Want List because my favorite color is purple. I have seen it on EBay a couple of times but got out bided – darn lol. Anyway sooner or later I will track one down I just have to learn to be patient along with the others on my Want List.

Hi Nev yes wouldn’t it be great if we could by a big bottle of rain with all the right additives from Bunnings, trouble is I would constantly be spraying it in my face to get a fix given how much I have missed it lol.

Yeah Nev maybe everything balances out in the end when it comes to having enough time in the garden. I know that since been in the Mining Industry instead of the Construction Industry that this has well and truly freed up some of my weekend time as I used to have to work most Saturdays, as well as I used to bring a lot work home with me during the week and worked late hours. Now I have every weekend off and find time during the week to run personal errands during my lunch break, catch up with friends for lunch. I was pleased with myself this year because I got to get my Xmas cards out in time and that’s not normally the case.

Nic Pics you posted Nev of Neo ‘Mister Odean’ and the different seasons of Neo ‘Midnight Moment’, you could easily think these are of all different broms when they are all the same.

Anyway that’s it for me this evening.

Big Hi to Anyone looking in and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 – Neo ‘Two Tone’ (Mother and Pups – pic taken a year ago) 4394
Pic 2 – Neo ‘Two Tone (close up of pup) 4397
Pic 3 – Neo ‘Two Tone (close up of old mum) 4395
Pic 4 – Neo ‘Sweet Dreams’ 4373
Pic 5 – Neo ‘Flirtation’ 4376

Townsville, Australia

Oops sorry Everyone!

Looks like I copied and pasted my blurb from Word Twice lol?

Ignore the numbers noted after each of my pictures as they are my photo numbers that I type in my Word doc so I remember each pic I want to post, but I am supposed to delete them prior to sending off my post, silly billy me.

Thank god tomorrows Friday he he.

Speak to you all over the weekend hopefully.

I'm off to bed as my eyes are hanging out of my head and my brain feels like it's fried.

Trish

Hi everyone.
late again tonight. we have Emily sleeping over tonight. she is on the camp stretcher in the office beside me watching cartoons on my TV. I had to sit on the computer waiting for an online auction to finish so I could win a new matress for our bed. 2 nights ago I got pipped at about $180 so was thrilled tonight to win a Slumberest pillow top mattress at about $150. saved money by missing other night. So tomorrow we have to go to Archerfield to collect our new matress. woohoo. I didn't tell Johnny that I also got 5 cartons of rolls of galvanised wire. each carton has 5 rolls in it so that's 25 rolls of wire. can't imagine what he will say when he finds out but I only made 1 bid and nobody outbid me so I got them for around $10. not bad when 1 roll at Bunnings today was $8. Shirley if you need any wire we will have some to spare next time you come over.

Shirley with those totem rings I'm sure Johnny can roll them for the thinner pipe for you. he used to do different sized pipes in the old type but I think he has only been making one size in the new type. other option is to grab a piece of pipe from here next time and use the totem rings on that as a freestanding totem in the shadehouse. let me know what size your pipe is and Johnny can adapt a few rings to that size. he hasn't finished rolling them yet. we won't get them to his brothers work now to get them galvanised before Christmas.

I'm ready for bed again now so I'll say goodnight and post picstomorrow night. trying to work our my new samsung galaxy phone too before I go to bed. damn I just thojught about all the number on the old phone. they'll all have to e reentered into new phone.

Night
Wendy

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, well it’s Friday tomorrow, another week over, another week older

Sue, I checked out my neos Red Macaw and Cockabell today and they appear very similar, the neo Cockabell showing slightly more colour … I will post a pic of both. Love your pics, especially hubby with the chainsaw ... and what a fantastic alcantarea.

Nev, thanks for pointing out that the name of neo Broulee Beauty is likely a pet name and is not registered but I think it’s gorgeous and I would love a pup if and when you get a spare one. I have noticed lots of pups on my neos so should have quite a few to swap soon.

Trish, looking forward to getting the gingers, thanks again. I adore your neo Two Tone, do you still have my name down for a pup when you have a spare. Glad you like my Galactic Warrior. I have another pup coming along nicely, still too small to remove as yet, maybe you would like that … let me know.

Wendy, sounds like you made a couple of good buys with your new mattress and the 25 rolls of gal wire. I am guessing you are not up for postage as that would take the shine off the wire LOL. If Johnny is able to roll some totem rings to suit 25 ml pipe that would be great, if not, no problem. What a shame you can’t email all the numbers entered in your old phone to your new one and have it download the list, or something!!

Anyway that’s it for me. Pics are 1 neo Red Macaw, 2 neo Cockabell

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning.
Nev, you might get a chance to get in before me today. I had a few emails to answer and a bit of research to do on Millipedes this morning.
I love the pics of your Neoregelia 'Mister Odean', and in the second photo, it shows concentrica traits, yes?
I meant to say yesterday, that I enjoy your long winded posts, and wish I had the time and patience to go to such trouble to reply in depth, as you do. Don't ever change!
I'm pretty sure i have come accross that name Neo. 'Oh No Very Cherry' in the past. I think my neighbour bought a plant with that label. I will have to check, and if it is, maybe get a picture to compare with Trish's plant.
Trish, i am as keen as bree to see the Vanda photos. I do hope you can find them.
The photo of us in the garden is me in my usual garden clobber. I sometimes wish I had a glamorous job, where i can dress up, but I'd spoil it all by stopping to pull weeds on my way out the gate, or get mud splashed on me or something. I usually have mud on my knees and leaves in my hair, as well as an odd assortment of bugs and spiders. It drives my husband demented.
Trish, as N. 'Ashanti' is flowering, it won't be too long before she pups. I know a few members here have the same plant, so you will have no trouble getting this one. just remind us all in a few months.
Wendy, what a bargain on your mattress. We bought one from a store some time back, and it cost us nearly $1000! Unfortunately, living here has disadvantages, such as local pick up, because not many listings in any category on Ebay come from Coffs harbour or surrounds.
What will you do with the wire rolls? Good luck with your new phone. Can you not put your old sim card in and copy the numbers over? I am not savvy with all that of course, but just thought it might be done?
Shirley, thanks for posting those photos. I used to have N. 'Red Macaw' and was considering trying to get one again, but having seen how similar it is to N. 'Cockabell' i think i will save my money.
I had a visit from a lady who has a retail nursery, and she snapped up my N. 'Cockabell' for her own collection, as well as a few other nice things. I love being able to give collectors something new.
How is everything going in your garden and shade house? are you all ready for Xmas?
I had one of those days yesterday, with a list as long as my arm. I was all set to take it slowly, work my way through it, and enjoy myself by having a browse everywhere.........and then hubby decided to accompany me! it was rush, rush, rush, no time to look here and there, stress, stress, whinge, moan! I was wrecked when i got home and had to have a sleep.
Anyway, I almost got everything done, except to contact the botanic garden for bree, but bree, it is on my list for first thing this morning, so i will Dmail you as soon as i know.
The rest of the day will be spent mowing (if the weather holds) and potting up a few flowering broms for the sales area, as tomorrow I have another sale.....the last one untill february now.
I am still working my way through the new plants, and am constantly pulling the little weeds out to try and get them weed free. I'll get there eventually.
Sorry no pics today but I will take some as i go, and hopefully will get a bit of time to post tomorrow, or this evening if the chance arrives.
Yay, its friday!
Sue

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Everyone- It will soon be the weekend again and another week closer to Christmas.

Wendy – In your previous post you mentioned you had brought back 100 seedlings from Ross; well you can't just leave us all hanging like that you know, we want to know the names of the crosses....”pretty please”.

You also speak about Ae. 'Mariae Reginae' – This is a beautiful and unusual Aechmea and also has male and female flowers (there's a name for this but I can't remember it). A few years back I bought some seed from Ebay which grew quickly and soon I had a crop of nice little 2” high plants, and then came winter and I finished up with three plants. These have struggled ever since and were still only about 6” high last year and looking so “scabby” I got tired of looking at them and reluctantly had to accept the fact that they just won't grown down here. I contemplated giving them to some of my grower friends “up north” but they just looked so “daggy” I tossed them in the bin instead.

I meant to tell you some time back that often on Ebay you can pick up some seed at a reasonable price and apart from the Mariae Reginae, I have also bought seed from Gus Sanguinea, Bromelia Pinguin, a few different Puyas and others I can no longer remember, so it's probably worth browsing Ebay occasionally for something different.

Trish – Thanks- I'll be looking forward to receiving the Pink Ginger next week and I'll also brush up on the cultivation notes so I'm ready to get it planted.

You mention Vandas, I had a Vanda Rothchildiana I bought back when I grew orchids and in those days down here they needed a heated glasshouse, but boy was it worth the effort. When it eventually flowered it had beautiful big 5” round shaped blueish purple flowers with a beautiful perfume to boot....a really magnificent plant.

You mention the pic's I posted of Neo. 'Midnight Moment' taken at different times of the year; it's interesting to note that if you look carefully at most brom's, you will notice little subtle changes in their colour every week. The colours start out pale when they are pups and as the plants mature then so does the colour intensify. This is why so many people who buy a pup of a plant they have seen in its mature state, often think they have been sold the wrong plant, as the colour is entirely different. Then you have the other factors of fertilising and light intensities to consider which will all have a bearing on the plant colour as well. So don't be disappointed if you buy or swap a pup and it doesn't look like you thought it would, remember it's still a baby and needs to grow a bit.

I find the colouring of your plant of Sweet Dreams most unusual because when you look past the very prominent red spotting, and look closer at the leaves, they have very faint red striations in them as well which is a bit unusual. According to the BCR it is a Margaret Patterson hybrid and is a cross between 'Jewellery Shop' and 'Gespacho' (sometimes known as 'Gespachio'). When and if you ever get a spare pup you would like to swap, I would be interested, so please put my name on the back of the name tag.

This plant shouldn't be confused with another hybrid which is registered as Sweet Dream (no “s”) and was grown by G. Anderson and registered by G. Goode back in 1986. It is shown as having 'Cinnabar' as the seed parent but there is no pollen parent listed and unfortunately no pic either.

Shirley – I think I may have a spare pup of Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' (unreg.) to give it the full title, and I'll have a look over the next couple of days and get back to you. Don't worry if you don't have anything to swap at this stage, you can “owe me one”.

I meant to mention yesterday, that you're best to wait until the pups on your Galactic Warrior get a decent size before removing them. Like all brom's, although they can be removed when rather small, they won't grow into such a nice big plant if removed too soon. Obviously this won't allow you to take as many pups, but the ones you do get will be of superior quality. This has been proved many times by many different growers, and is advice well worth taking. I've trialled this statement with two of the same plants and taken pups at different times and the ones I allowed to grow large before removal grew into far better plants and the smaller ones never did attain the same size.

Sue - I nearly got in before you this morning, but once again you posted just as I was about to hit the "send " button. I sometimes think you have some way of watching when I'm about to post as it seems to happen too often.

Now that you mention it, that pic of Mister Odean certainly does clearly show the semi-concentric markings we so often see in crosses made with Neo Concentrica in the breeding. However when I checked the BCR I found that Neo. 'Roy' was used as both the seed parent and the pollen parent. So I delved back further to see what was in the parentage of Neo 'Roy' and found the seed parent was Neo. Melandonta 'Red' and the pollen parent Neo. Spectabilis 'Pinkie' both of which are species and not a sign of Neo Concentrica anywhere. However when looking at the pic's of Neo Melandonta, I can see some similarities with Concentrica although no semi-concentric rings. So it seems that in this case, Neo Concentrica is not the culprit responsible for the rings.

To finish now I have a few pic's I took yesterday Pic.1 is another of my Neo. Concentrica x [Charm x Cracker Jack] seedlings, Pic.2 is Neo. 'Lambert's Pride' an old favourite and very good grower and “pupper”. Pic.3 is another of my seedlings, this time of Neo. 'Thunderbird' x 'Lambert's Pride', I don't know if it's just me or not but I can see the Lambert's Pride influence in this seedling. Just for a change of pace Pic.4 is Vriesea 'Evita' which interestingly, changes the colour of the leaves depending on the light intensity it's grown under. This one was grown in bright light beneath beige shade cloth while it's other brothers and sisters which were grown in a more shady environment all have green leaves. Finally Pic5 shows Nidularium Longiflorum just coming into flower for Christmas.

All the best, Nev.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.