Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Hi all Dg is really playing with me tonight
Pic 1 Ae ??? brown/red bands on underside and curly leaves.
Pic 2 Purple coloured nudicaulis
Have a good one
Ian

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry

Hi everyone
Sue where do you find the time to do other peoples gardens. We're flat out getting through our own work and there's 2 of us. and you have so much more room to cover than we do. I've never seen a variegated canistropsis before. if you have plenty of them I'd love you to put my name on one. We'll get down to visit you soon. Johnny says he can't stay here when Max goes so we plan to jump in the motorhome and get away for a week or so. I think he is planning on Coffs as we really did love it down there. I'll keep in touch re that. Otherwise if Max hangs maybe Jen and I will do a crawl down that way before school goes back. Either way I think we'll be seeing each other soon .... January sometime.

Nev I love your leudemanniana seedlings. the one I collected the seeds from is pretty much same colour as your seedlins (see pic 1). I am glad to hear they grow fast so I'll keep an eye on them and be ready to pot them up next year. I also put down some seed from ae triangularis (see pic 2) these are growing so fast already I also have 2 of those painted lady seedlings you sent me. they look very much like your pic 4 & 5. Pic 3 is the little hothouse I built for the triangularis seedlings. this is 3 weeks of growing to make these little plants so maybe they will grow as fast as Nev's leudemaniana seedlings.

I just had to share a pic of the gift that Karen gave me. She turned up here with a laundry basket full of epiphyllum plants and cuttings and I've already had 3 new ones flowering but this week we had one of these stunnin pink ones open. Johnny loved it so much he hung it at the very end of a row so as you walked up you couldn't help but see it ahead.

I think I'll have an early night tonight so I'm going to turn off now. Night all.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – I suppose you've all been shopping to see what bargains you could get at the Boxing Day Sales; unfortunately there probably wouldn't be any brom's on special there anyway. I spent the day putting the finishing touches to the wind shutters on my shade shelter before I finish off the painting.

Breeindy – You've got some great colour in your “Blanchie”, is it growing out in the open without any protection from the sun? Also nice markings on the Neo. Luna; how much light are you giving that one?

Sue – Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas Day and you were able to eat, eat, eat. Was it a “Kiwi Lunch” including “Fush 'n Chups”...Ha! Ha! I wish I'd been there. I have a big mate who is a Maori and boy does he cook up a storm when we have a “Pete Barbie” He has this half stainless steel beer keg which he has made into a sort of modified camp oven. He cooked a rather large piece of beef which he put in the keg, with vege's and a few other bits and pieces (which he wouldn't tell us about) poured in a can of beer, sealed it up and put it in the ground covered in hot coals. After a few hours and a slab of beer he digs it out and the beef is so tender it just melts in your mouth (I'm dribbling at the mouth just thinking about it).

I like your Epidendrum Fragrans, I haven't seen that one before; is it a small flower like what we call the “Crucifix Orchid” or is it bigger? I also like your Canistropsis bilbergioides variegated; I bought a pup off one of these last year but it hasn't flowered yet so I hope it's as good as yours.

Breeindy – You've just given me a Christmas present as you've posted pic's of my three all time favourite small/medium sized brom's. I like this size of brom as they don't take up a lot of space, are easy to handle and are usually always colourful. A few years back I got a pup of Neo. 'Rosella' from a brom growing friend in Far North Queensland and I followed her instructions and grew it hanging right up just beneath the beige shade cloth.

It grew into a beautiful little well shaped plant which I entered in our annual show and was fortunate enough to win a prize with. My intention with shows is not to deliberately set out to win prizes, but to mainly to share the beauty of these wonderful plants with others and perhaps encourage more people (especially children and young adults) to try their hands at growing them as we need new, younger growers to keep the brom growing fraternity alive and well.

I have found that Ae. Chianti 'Jean' prefers a shadier aspect to maintain the nice deep burgundy coloured foliage; given too much light the foliage colour will bleach out and the plants just don't look nice at all. It's a great plant to grow hanging in a shadier area above Nidulariums and other shade tolerant plants and is a plant that will pup readily and flower easily under these conditions. It is an excellent “burgundy foliage” Aechmea for beginners as it's easy to grow and I have given many away to young folk who show an interest in growing brom's. However, like all plants with burgundy or concolour foliage, it can be a bit cold sensitive if not given a little protection during the winter months

Ian – I have to sympathise with you, as it's most frustrating when D.G. decides to mess around with your posts. I went through a period when it was happening to me also; first I would just get the post all typed up and it would disappear and then the pic's were put in a different order to the order they were posted and during one period I could read the posts of others but couldn't send any myself or sometimes I could just send the post without the pic's. I found that by first typing my post in Microsoft Word and then cutting and pasting it to DG, I never had any more problems (maybe there's a time limit on how long you take to type a post) With the pic's I found that if I reduced the size, they loaded much quicker and once again I never had any more trouble in this area.

Getting back to brom's now and having a close look at your first pic., it is great example of what stage the plant should be when starting out to establish it as a mounted specimen in a tree. The plant isn't too large, but more importantly it has a new pup starting to grow. This is the important part as this pup is what will grow its new roots and anchor the plant to the tree. The mother plant has finished flowering and won't attach itself to the tree so it's up to the pup to provide this attachment. I think the most important part of this type of culture (and it can't be stressed too much) is that the plant must be firmly attached and unable to move. If it can move, the new roots will be pulled off the tree as they try to attach, and plants are then very reluctant to put out new roots in this type of situation if they aren't attached firmly so they can't move right from the start. The other important thing often overlooked, is the fact that these plants will dry out much quicker than those in pots, and consequently need a bit more water, especially in the early stages when they are trying to attach themselves to the host.

When attaching brom's to trees, firstly and most importantly, you need to select a suitable tree; it must not be of the type that sheds its bark annually and should preferably have a rough back for the roots to attach to and have something to “grip”. Select a suitable position on the tree, this can be in the fork as Ian has done or can be on a branch, it doesn't really matter as long as the plant is firm and can't move. Attaching the plant so it doesn't move can be achieved by different methods and the most common is probably “Panty Hose” (bought at $2 shops and not stolen from the clothes line) as they are tight, will stretch, and most importantly, they won't rot. I still remember the look of disdain I got from the girl behind the checkout when I bought the first couple of pairs of these, but I soon put her mind at rest when I told her I used them for tying plants onto host trees or for straining paint.

There are other things to use for tying which are just as suitable and a couple of examples are 25mm strips of old shade cloth which should be stretched firmly whilst tying on the plant and like “Panty Hose” it won't rot or come loose either if attached properly in the first place. Another thing I found very good is a bit of old nylon “Bird Netting” of the type used to net fruit trees; it too has the correct “stretch”, is strong and won't rot either. A friend of mine simply attached his plants by "nailing them on" ouch!. He has found that if the plant has a thick stolen, a nail can be driven through this to achieve a good attachment; but don't used copper or galvanised nails as you'll surely kill your plant; the best ones to use are made of stainless steel.

Select the position the plant is to be grown and wrap the “Panty Hose” (or other tying material) firmly around the tree and the plant, making sure to tie it on firmly with a knot that won't slip.(Any of you that were in the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides will know that a “Reef Knot” is the easiest for this purpose) The other popular misconception is that you must put some Sphagnum Moss or potting mix behind the plant for it to grow into. True the plant will grow roots into these mediums; but in doing so won't attach to the host tree as the roots will preferentially select the easiest medium into which to grow. The heel of the pup (the part where the new roots grow from) should be in direct contact with the tree so the roots have no choice other than the bark onto which to grow and attach.

Wendy – The Ae Lueddemanniana in your first pic. I think is what is commonly called Ae Lueddemanniana 'Rubra' (referring to the colour red). There are others with more pinkish leaves, but the two most common foliage colours they come in are an (olive type) green and the “rubra” colour shown in your (sideways) pic. The flowers on all of the different ones seem to be the same.

I like you little “hot house”, what is it they say, “necessity is the mother of invention”, well the necessity has certainly turned up a great improvised albeit temporary home for these little plantlets. I say temporary because those little seedlings look so healthy they look like they'll soon out grow their new home and be looking for larger quarters.

That's a beautiful epiphyllum flower; I don't know anything about these nor do I grow them but it really is a beautiful flower. Are they short lived like most of these beautiful types of flowers? It's good to hear you are in contact with Karen; we haven't heard from her for so long I was wondering how she's getting on with her health problems. Can you ask her to drop in and say “good day”? It will be good to hear from her again..

That's it for today, I can't wait any longer for Sue so I'll finish with something a bit different and show some pic's taken by Chanin Thurot, my “Brom Friend” from Thailand. These are some pic's he took at a Thai Plant Market; doesn't it make you wish we had markets like that over here? Notice the nice filled in shape and the large number of leaves that the Thai growers seem to be able to get on their Neo's. Obviously it's a combination of climate and grower skill to produce such spectacular results.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2012 1:54 PM

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I hope you all enjoyed a pleasant time over Christmas.
Nearly next year now and then Easter.

I did a bit of tidying in my brom house yesterday and have finally moved all the old mums and any shabby plants down to the back shadehouse. I need to take off quite a few pups and repot the others.
I can do it down there where I have a good bench and chair.

i found all my vriesias and have them together now. I also have flowers on two of them.
The vriesias seem to do really well here so I would like to get a few more.

I have accumulated a few more broms over the past few months which are all looking good.

i look at all the ones on here and wish I had the room for them.

If anyone has any vriesias to sell please dmail me with info .
I should have asked earlier instead of looking on eBay.

pic 1...vr. Ginger

pic 2....vr Sundance ...I cant find a pic of this one that looks like mine.

pic 3 ... vr. heiroglyphica x Red Chestnut .......this one only had the parents, no name. I love it .It is about 32cm across now.

pic 4...nidularium fulgens (back) & neo. Sheldance

pic 5...neo Midnight ( front ) & aech. organensis. ....I looked at pics and my "Midnight "seems to look like the one from Goode, the other I saw was very black..

Jean.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2012 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

A few more...

pic 6 ...coelestis albamarginata... this was a tiny thing about 4" long when given to me. It has taken about 4 years to get to this size.

pic 7....bil. Windii

pic 8...neo. Burbank

pic 9...two noids, they look like guzmanias to me. One had a very tall flower when I bought them as unnamed orphans a few years ago.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset
north coast nsw, Australia

Nev- That Blanchie is from Sue i cant take any credit from growing it but i'll let you's know how it goes now in the sun. I have this smaller one which looks the same which is in full sun and i think i'll put it in the same pot the one from Sues is in like a matching pair in my front garden(no room for them in my Brom garden). Nev my Luna gets full sun, except in the late afternoon. Glad you liked your xmas pressy from me. hehe! i like the patterns on them broms i posted. I think i remember your Rosella pics being very nice and worthy of an award.
1. Blanchie from Sue 2 & 3. my little one 4. i love this pup, its tagged Ariadne??

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi All.
Jean, your two unknown ones are Vrieseas, probably splenreit. All your babies are doing well. I bet you are happy with them. Did you have a good Xmas?
Bree, your plants are looking good too. Its a great time of year for bromeliads, thats for sure.
Nev, the Thailand broms are beautiful. I think they get great shape with layers of leaves at the expense of flowers, and therefor pups? I'd like to know where they get their broms from if pups are slow or non-existent?
No, no 'Fush and Chups' here, but we did have prawns and oysters! Yum! I know exactly what you are talking about with the keg, and I have seen one made that uses gas to cook, and it also turns out with the meat falling from the bone.
The epidendrum fragrans flower is quite a bit larger than the 'Crucifix' orchid. Its got a few more buds out now, so maybe I'll get a better shot tomorrow and put something with it to show size.
Wendy, its a push doing anyone elses gardens, but I haven't been able to find a reliable, knowledgable gardener to take over the last two jobs. I've had two or three different people try out, and they have made a variety of mistakes, such as ring barking trees when whipper snippering, and mulching straight over the top of weeds, not to mention charging like a wounded bull! Like my garden, I stay on top of the other two, and its never hard work. That pink Epiphyllum is gorgeous.
I've sent you a Dmail about visiting e.t.c.
Ian, when should I post your seeds? Best that you are at home when I do.
Sue
Photo one is Neo. 'Spots And Dots'
Photo two is a NOID Aechmea
Photo three is a NOID Nidularium
Photo four is Edmundoa lindenii from a variegated ones seed. The two are the same age, but show how different they can be with potting up and fertiliser.
Photo five is an Alcantarea grass pup that has gone haywire. I'm going to grow it on and see if it changes. I suspect it has had a pest that has sent it strange

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, we have been having such beautiful days lately and the odd shower at night, which is great. It is still very hot but bearable. I haven’t had a chance to do much in the garden or in the shadehouses for a few days now. With visitors and post xmas shopping I haven’t kept up with the housework either so that’s tomorrow taken care of, washing and vacuuming … when I win lotto I am going to hire someone to clean my house.

I was feeling a bit crook last night … sore throat, headache, so had an early night. I felt a lot better this morning but it is still lurking so I am hoping I can ward it off.

Wendy, sounds like you had a very busy xmas ... relax, you have 361 days before you have to do it all again. No sign of pups yet on the guzmania you like but when they appear, the second one is yours, I like to keep the first one.

Nev, I don’t know what type of snake it was curled up in the screen but it was gone in the morning. Thanks for adding my name to your ‘pup’ list for neos Fairy Dust and Burgundy Moss. Your neo Painted Lady (sport) is a lovely plant too. Can you imagine how many broms we would all have in our collections if we had markets selling broms like the ones in your pics of a Thai plant market. Wouldn't it be great ... I know I would blow the budget big time if I had access to such an awesome selection of broms on sale at our local market.

Bree, your neo Luna is a stunner. Nice colour in your blanchie.

Sue, the guzmania in my pic could be any one of those you mention, they all look very similar and I agree, they certainly are good value. Love the colour in your NOID Nid and looking at the pic of your two Edmundoa, boy, what a difference a little extra TLC makes.

That's it for me tonight, bye for now

Shirley

Pic 1 is neo Bold Streak x McWilliamsii, pic 2 is neo Gunpowder ? what does everyone think, please

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Morning all, back to my old routine!
Shirley, your Neo. 'Gunpowder' doesn't look quite right to me. I haven't got one anymore, but mine was a real pink/purple colour, where as yours seems to be orangey, and the green is very olive. I could be wrong! It looks more like a 'Grey Nurse' type or 'Ying', 'Yang', to me, but like I said, I could be wrong.
Glad you are getting some rain and some cooler temps. This morning, here has started off windy and overcast. I am hoping it clears as I'd like to go for a ride in the country. I got my housework done on Boxing day so I'm good to go!
I've been continually cleaning up and sorting bromeliads every day, and have only a few more trays before i have gone through them all, and then I will start again with de-pupping in mind, but not until February for the Neos. I find, if I remove them too early in summer, they flower prematurely. Does anyone else find this? I really need to make another area, just for newly potted pups. I have plenty of shade, but need a covered area to keep the leaves and debris out. We have a plan and a spot to build one, its just finding the motivation to do it. When its hot, nothing appeals!
Anyway, I hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll catch up again tomorrow.
Sue

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Sad news, I just saw a RIP to Max on Facebook, so Wendy and Johnny have lost poor Max and are no doubt hurting terribly right now. Big hugs to you both.

Hi all, 1 more sleep tilI go home.I will then find out what changes there are there. Then to work on my plants and see if I can build a new covered area to keep leaves out ov the vases,
I might even be able to work better with my computer. It has a different set up to this one and as a desktop is a lot more comfortable than this laptop.
I guess it is time for me to learn about the programmes i have on my computer. I do not know how to find Word so I can't use it. I am using windows7 ahd will have to take another tour and hope for the best. ! word change means so much difference in the world of computers.
I might get lucky and find a plant or 2 on the way home.Sunday morning, go for a ride, hey hey it's a lovely day.
Have a good one.
Ian

shellharbour, Australia

Hi all – Well, here we are again another weekend; gee it'll soon be next year and then Easter and then Christmas again and I still won't have all of my work done. I spent yesterday morning watching my youngest grandson (2yr.old) having his third swimming lesson. It was great to see someone so young learning to swim and enjoying it.

I spent the afternoon “dead leafing” Neo's in the main shade house and was shocked to find pups on everything and almost large enough to take off. Just when I thought I'd caught up with all of the de-pupping and potting up I'm back to square one once again. It looks like I'll have to have a large clearance sale to clear out some excess plants and gain a bit of bench space.

I hope those who have been unwell are now well and truly on the road to recovery and will be sparking on all cylinders in 2013.

Jean - Nice to see you posting and putting up pic's again. It's good to see you taking an interest in Vrieseas; a lot of growers tend to think of them as delicate plants which are difficult to grow and flower but I have found just the opposite. A few years back when we copped a heat wave on New Years Day, most of the plants in the garden were badly burnt and the Neo's suffered the worst of all. Surprisingly the few Vrieseas I had planted among the Neo's only had a few burnt leaf tips and some bleaching which was far less than the Neo's had.

I had always thought of Vrieseas as a much weaker plant than Neoregelias mainly based on the fact that their leaves were thinner and they somehow just appeared to be more delicate. Since that heatwave I have found this to be far from the truth and I have had them in the garden without protection right through the summer and winter and they only sustained minimal damage and much less than some of the other brom's growing under the same conditions.

The bonus of course is that there are two main types; the “patterned leaf type” which are grown for their coloured patterned foliage and the “plain leaf types” which are grown for their flowers. This second type can be bought indoors when in flower and they last for a month or two providing colour in the house for far less expense than cut flowers would cost for the same period, so all in all they are a good investment for either the garden or in the house when flowering. Another method of culture you don't often see with Vrieseas is that they also do well mounted on trees.

I have mine growing with my Guzmanias beneath shade cloth on the southern side of the house which is a 'less than ideal” aspect as it's very shady in the winter time, however they seem to handle the lower light OK which can be another benefit. In fact I was cleaning up that part of the yard last week and was surprised to see just how many are putting up flower spikes. I must admit I had neglected them a bit over the last few years but this year I decided to start feeding them a bit (like the Guzmanias they like more feeding than Neo's and Aechmeas) and the results have been very pleasing. I'll take a few pic's and post them tomorrow.

Your two plants in the last pic look like vrieseas to me, and judging by the banding on the leaves, probably Vr. Splendriet. They could also be either Vr. Splendens or Vr. Splendide, but Vr. Splendriet is my bet as it's commercially grown in the thousands and the most common of the three. Both of these have a brilliant orange/red sword like inflorescence which is quite spectacular.

The downside of these however is that they are a bit cold sensitive so give them a bit of protection during the colder months, especially down in your area. I had a plant which was so severely damaged by the cold a few years back I almost tossed it in the green bin, but I gave it a reprieve and it rewarded me with three nice pups all of which flowered (see Pic.1) when they matured and I have never had a plant do this before or since. I think it was so near death with all of the cold damage that "Mother Nature" stepped in and helped it put in one last mammoth effort to reproduce itself before it died; firstly in the form of pups, then flowers, and later seed.

Sue – A lot of the Thai growers import their plants from America, Hawaii and Australia as well as hybridising their own. There are a couple of very experienced hybridisers doing some great things with their plants over there but I don't have a contact address for them and I'm reluctant to post pic's without their permission.

What you say about the stacks of leaves and minimal pups is very true and there was quite a long thread about this very subject some time back on the Garden Web. Basically the reasons given were: In Thailand, a Neo usually won't pup until after it flowers. The climate there is responsible for the growth of multiple leaves and because these plants continue to stack on leaves, they do so at the expense of flowers, hence not many pups. I used to get brom's from a lady up on the hinterland inland from Cairns and the micro climate there often did similar things to her Neo's, and although she grew beautiful plants with multiple leaves, she was envious of me being able to produce multiple pups quickly and easily although I could never replicate the leaf stacking. So I guess in our climate, we can't grow multiple stacks of leaves but we can produce many pups but in Thailand they have the complete reverse and they would like to see more pups; I guess you just can't have your cake and eat it too.

I understand completely what you're saying about some of these “so called” gardeners. Just after I had my back operation and wasn't allowed to do any bending, we got a young bloke in (a supposed gardener) to tidy up the brom gardens in the back yard. Some of the plants near the garden edge had the leaves overhanging, and he just clipped them off with the hedge clippers (I must say it was a nice straight cut). Needless to say he only lasted 25 minutes, it's the same with the young bloke who cuts the grass, a couple of weeks back one of the Neo's near the garden edge had toppled onto the grass and instead of picking it up, he just “whipper snippered” right through all of the leaves. Apparently he just knew how to cut grass and anything else which required a bit of common sense just wasn't an option, so he got the arse also. I laugh about it now but I wasn't laughing at the time I can tell you.

Sue your NOID Aechmea could be Ae. Ramosa Festiva. My plant in (Pic 2) was grown beneath 75% beige shade cloth and had finished flowering with just the berries left when this pic was taken. Your Nidularium NOID I think is Nid Innocentii Var. Striatum. It seems very similar to my plant in (Pic.3) and the difference in colour could be due to light variations as mine was grown beneath 75% green shade cloth in a shady area of the garden.

Your Edmundoa plants in your Pic.4 show a good example of the advantages of fertilising, OK when you have a large area to grow in like you do, but if all we grew them that large we would need more space and then the overcrowding starts all over again. As for your “little bloke” in Pic.5, I think he's had a visit from and been contaminated by the “Men from Mars”.

Shirley – Like your weather, ours has been pretty good lately also with the odd shower at night to freshen things up. Although I've spent a bit of time in the garden, I'm not getting as much done as I would like. This morning is taken up, as I'm off to watch my little grandson learning to swim again and as I see it, I only get one chance to see this sort of thing as once he grows up there's no going back so I have to make the best of it while I can; the garden will still be there when I get back to it.

I have my doubts about the name of your Neo. 'Bold Streak' x McWilliamsii as it's very different to mine and there are a lot of plants around with similar markings and colour.. I got my plant from Jen see Pic.4 which is Jen's pic of her own plant which she has posted previously and which looks like it has had the benefit of the good Queensland light. My plant in Pic.5 doesn't have the rich colour of Jen's but it was initially grown in lower light. The pups from my plant grown are now growing in bright light and are the same colour as Jen's plant. The markings on your plant seems quite different as well as the colour so what do others think?

As for the plant of Neo.'Gunpowder', I can't comment as I only have a small pup to compare with it but all I can say is that I hope my pup turns out like your plant as it's a great looking well grown plant with terrific colour.

Wendy – Like the rest of us I'm so sorry to hear the news of Max's passing. My thoughts are with you both at this very sad and emotional time and I know exactly what you're feeling, having just recently been through the same sad situation myself. Rest assured he had a very good life with the love and care you and Johnny gave him.

I'll finish now with the pictures mentioned above and wish you all the best, Nev

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone had a memorable and enjoyable Christmas. We had a great couple of days spent with friends who stayed over a couple of nights who left yesterday and although we had a fantastic time with them we secretly must admit that the peace and quiet in the house right now is ever so blissful. The kids (three girls aged 6 and 9) had a wonderful time swimming and playing with our dogs, they also enjoyed promenading around the garden looking at all my bromeliads and were very intrigued about their names and how to grow them and it was nice hearing them running back to their parents to tell them about some of the ones they liked in the garden and grabbing mum or dad by the hand to go and show them. They also got a real kick out of discovering the little frogs in them and kept squealing each time they found one. They also discovered quickly that some bromeliads bite when they lost some of their lollies amongst them and tried to retrieve them, let’s just say Neo Hannibal Lector of all the broms was a horrible choice for them to mess with and I had to sooth one of the girls arms with some Aloe Vera I picked from the garden lol.

Hi Jean sounds like you have been very busy reorganising all your bromeliads, isn’t it a nice feeling when you have them organised or find a bromeliad hidden amongst the others that you have not seen for a while, and then there are all the lovely pups when discovered that you get to separate and pot up, it is such a satisfying feeling don’t you think.

Hi Jean like Sue I think the NOID Pic 4 you posted on 27/12 (second thread) that they both could be Vr. Splendrite, they will colour up nice if given the right light but they do not like too much direct light. I have mine growing under 70% shade cloth and the markings on the leaf are very distinctive. I will post a pic if I can find one or take another picture today to post so you can compare.

Hi Nev it was a very interesting read the information you provided on 27/12 regarding mounting specimens on trees, would a mango tree be suitable given that it has rough bark?

Nev luved all your brom pics posted on 28/12. At first glance I thought Shirley’s Neo ‘Bold Streak’ x McWilliamsii (the one on the l/h/s) was just that but just not as mature as the one I have? I will post a pic. The one on the right has very different markings; Shirley is this labelled the same name or a different name? Nev your one has a lot more colour than mine, mind you mine is still only a mature pup and still has a lot of growing and colouring up to do.

Hi Wendy that pink Epiphyllum flower Pic 4 you posted on 27/12 is gorgeous; the flower really stands out doesn’t it. The little hothouse you built for your triangularis seedlings are also working a treat by the looks of how well they are growing.

Wendy, Johnny – so very sad to hear about beautiful Max, our thoughts go out to you both, we completely understand what emotions you would be going through right now as we have been privileged to have owned, luved and lost some beautiful dogs in our lives and there is not a day that goes by that I do not think about them all with the fondest of memories. Our lives are whole because of them and they are such a huge part of our lives and I know we will always have them in our lives no matter what and if I had my way I would want to adopt as many as we possibly could and am a firm believer that they luv and treat us better than we luv and treat ourselves and they are so good for our health and wellbeing.

Hi Ian hope you’re enjoying spending time with your daughter and new grandson. Great to see you are still managing to find brom around the garden to post pics of.

Hi Bree great to hear your trees are growing and providing much needed shade for your broms. What about popping a bit of shade cloth up here and there in your garden, it works a treat in our garden and we get to still see all the broms and it is easy enough to get to them for shuffling pots around or weeding etc. Luved all the brom pics you posted by the way, and how cute is your pup of Neo Blushing Tiger, mine should be pupping soon, I’ve just popped mine in more shade because it was getting too much light and loosing colour but the colour is starting to come back again.

Hi Sue glad to hear you got some rain, so did we for a couple of days. Really liked the Epidendrum Pic 2 you posted on 26/12, what a gorgeous flower it has, its shape is so very different to anything I have seen before. Does the flower smell? Your Pic 4 of Neo ‘Smithii’ is also very nice, luv the purple blotches all over it, is this one a mini grower?

Sue sounds like you are busy as usual in the garden and I can totally understand that it is hard to get motivated in this heat. I am just finishing a cup of tea and then heading out into the garden to weed the front yard as I want to inject some more bromeliads into the area (go figure) as there is a fair bit of shade there and this saves us having to put up more shade cloth for now.

Hi Kristi great to hear from you, really liked all the pics you posted. Hope we hear from you some more in 2013.

Jen, thanks yeah hubby and I are having a great break together and making the most of every day. We went for a swim last night and it was nice just taking time out to look at the stars in the sky and listen to all the noises in the dark, then we woke up bright and early this morning and took the girls for a walk on the beach and it was high tide which was nice and we sat under a tree that was full of black cockatoo’s that were having a good old munch on some nuts in the tree.

Jen I adored each and every vriesea pics you posted on 25/12, by the looks of things you are doing a great job growing them as well as the gorgeous colours that are coming out in them all, what is your secret?

Jen in relation to your question on what do I feed my broms, well I must admit I don’t feed them as much as I should but I don’t think they need that much feeding really as they get plenty enough nutrients out of the bromeliad mix I grow them in and on the odd occasion my vrieseas get a bit of slow realise fertiliser or Condy’s Crystals and sometimes some of my husband’s orchid food, but I make sure that whatever I feed them is at a very weak dose. Whenever I cut off pups I usually check the mother for disease or pests and normally put her into a fresh new pot with new bromeliad mix as well as the pups get fresh pots and new mix also and once the pups have settled they get a quarter teaspoon of slow release fertiliser granules every couple of months or so depending on how they are travelling.

Hi Shirley hope your sore throat and headache has gone away and that you are feeling much better, take it easy and remember that housework can wait conserve your energy and then tackle it when you’re feeling better. I am thinking of hiring a cleaner to do all our windows next year as I just don’t have the time or energy to do them properly as there are just too many of them to do.

Shirley I don’t think that the Pic 2 NOID you posted on 28/12 is Neo Gunpowder? I will attach a picture of my one for comparison. I was going to say the same as Sue Neo Grey Nurse type and will post a pic of both for you to see.

Anyway time to get my butt out into the garden, hopefully I can find enough shady spots to hide and get some stuff done while I can before I run out of time and have to go back to work (sad face :( ).

Hi to anyone else looking in and anyone on the Sick List, we miss hearing from you all.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone! Look forward to speaking with you all real soon!

Trish

Pic 1 – Neo ‘Splendrite’ for Jen to compare with her’s.
Pic 2 - Neo ‘Gun Powder’ when comparing against Neo ‘Grey Nurse’ in Pic 3 for Shirley.
Pic 4 – Neo ‘Bold Streak’ x McWilliamsii’
Pic 5 – Nidularium ‘Rutilans ‘Spotty’

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy
Townsville, Australia

Apologies Jen and Jean I think I inadvertently got your names mixed up in my above thread - silly billy me...I got a bit cross eyed by the time I attached my thread and got myself confused with the many threads I have had to catch up on reading and responding to questions etc.

Trish

north coast nsw, Australia

Trish- really love your Neo ‘Splendrite’.
1. Well look at my brom tagged Bold Streak’ x McWilliamsii’?, i think Nevs and Trish's look right. I dont know what yours is Shirley but it awsome, so is your Gunpowder, i think its to nice to be Gunpowder. ha!

Thumbnail by breeindy
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, another very hot and muggy day here today. We managed to get a bit done in the garden late this afternoon, weeding and mowing and a bit of trimming … everything is growing so quickly.

Sue, thanks for your suggestions re my neo Gunpowder? I guess for now it will continue life as a NOID. I have had a couple of neos that flowered prematurely and wondered why … can’t remember when I removed them though. I will have to make a note and keep a check on any pups that I have removed recently.

Wendy, so sorry to hear that you and Johnny have lost Max. He had a great life with you and he’s up there in doggy heaven keeping an eye on you both. No doubt you will miss him for a long time and remember him fondly.

Ian, hope you manage to find your way around your computer. Hope you found some new plants on the way home too.

Nev, what a nice surprise finding advanced pups you weren’t even aware were there on so many of your neos. I am sure you will have no trouble clearing out your excess plants. Your neo Bold Streak x McWilliamsii is certainly a different colour to mine, which is quite pink-purple. And thanks for the compliments on my neo Gunpowder (or whatever), it is a lovely plant.

Trish, Nev, the two Bold Streak x McWilliamsii plants in the pot are pups from the same mum, long removed. The one on the right has much wider and brighter streaks than the one on the left, so maybe a sport. I have been planning to separate them for a long time and will have to do it soon so I get pups from both. The pups from the one on the right might prove interesting.

Trish, I have to agree with you that while it’s terrific to have friends and family visit, it’s so nice when things get back to normal and peace and quiet returns. And I am feeling a lot better now, thanks.

Also thanks to everyone for your help with identifying my NOID neo.

Bree, that’s a nice Bold Streak x McWilliamsii.

Just the one pic tonight … neo Small World.

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good Morning.
Ian, I am glad to hear you are on your way home. I will get a parcel off to you later next week. You're not wrong about the word 'Change' meaning alot when it comes to computers. I have a little android tablet, and it comes with no instructions, so it has meant alot of poking, prodding, swiping and googling! I have most of it under control now, but it was very different to using a normal PC. Good luck with learning new things. You sound like an intelligent guy, so I'm sure you will work it out.
Nev, Your ID of Nidularium innocentii var striatum, looks the same as mine. I also have one that looks the same, but has no stripes, and the flower is pink. It is different to everything else I have. I thought it was Nidularium longiflorum at first, but the flower is not right. As for the Aechmea, the ones I have are completely different in the leaf. I have a couple similar to your A. ramosa var festiva (possibly even the exact one) but this one is different. I thought the leaf shape and plant size was similar to A. lueddemaniana, (shade grown) but it was yellow/green overlaid with red, and now the flower spikes are red/orange. I put it over in planet bromeliad on Facebook, but didn't get any hits there, surprisingly. It has been grown in high light so I thought maybe the leaf is usually green? I will have to wait for the flowers to emerge more I guess.
Trish, sounds like you are making the most of your time off. We are the same here. The pool is getting some use this summer, which makes a change from the few previous wet summers.
It sounds like your visitors had a wondeful time, and you may have sparked an interest in one of the girls, to go on to grow bromeliads. Ahhhh, a future customer! heh heh.
The Epidendrum has a beautiful fragrance, and is one to bring inside and enjoy. I inherited it, so whenever it flowers I think of my friend. The Neo smithii is a small grower, just a little larger than a mini. It is a species, so a good one to use in breeding because its genes are stable, and not mixed with multiple hybrids. It has been a very slow grower for me though.
I laughed when I read your notes to Jen on feeding. It sounds as though you are feeding your plants very adequately, and possibly alot more than most growers, so no wonder your plants look so healthy and happy. I try to keep a fertilising routine going with mine, but must admit, it gets a bit haphazard. Luckily for me, they cope.
Bree, how was your Xmas? Are you spending much time in the garden?
Shirley, that Neo. 'Small World' is too cute! Sorry we couldn't identify your NOID for you, but at least we all had a guess! I love that, between us,we have eough experience to have seen or owned a plant of a particular name, which makes identification almost possible for most photos. There will always be NOIDS, and to be honest, I have quite a few, and am happy to have them anyway!
I will quickly dusk out and get a pic of the Epidendrum BRB
Hubby just called me a 'nut job' for being outside in my nightclothes. Its fairly early, and no one around, so why not?
Lets see what i found
Photo one is Epidendrum fragrans, almost in full bloom
Photo two shows V. ospinae var gruberi, top one grown in high light, bottom one in deep shade.
Photo three is Portea petropolitana var extensa in flower.
Photo four is the NOID nidularium that is different than the others. Its like the inoocentii var striatum but no variegation?
Photo five, Nev, I knew I had an Aechmea ramosa!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Good morning everyone, time for breakfast and then more jobs to see to out among the brom's.

Ian – I missed your post yesterday as we both posed at about the same time. I like the old steam loco, is it still operational? There's nothing to compare with the smell of steam and the enjoyment of a steam train ride, brings back a lot of great memories of the “good old days”. These fancy trains of today are just so uninteresting and don't seem to be “alive” like the old steamers were.

As for using a laptop computer, I don't think I'll go down that path as I'm still coming to terms with this “old dinosaur” and I'm afraid all of this technology has left me far behind.

Trish – It's interesting to hear what you say about the children who visited you and their introduction to Bromeliads. I have an area under shade cloth which I just built out off the fence (the area I recently fitted the shutters to the front of). It's twelve feet out from the fence and as I have a lot of hanging plants, it's necessary to get to the back of them for watering. The easiest way was to make a track between the rear of the main lot of brom's and the ones along the fence. Actually it started out as a track my old dog "Clyde" made when he would chase stray cats out of the yard, and I just widened it a bit.

Whenever our family comes over for a visit, my grandsons and their friends make believe this is a “jungle track” and spend a lot of time walking and running up and down it among the plants. The brom's have taught them which plants they can and can't touch (ouch!) and they spend a lot of time in there with their imaginations running wild.

One day they asked if they could go down “the jungle track” as they call it and after they had gone and were about halfway along it, I called out, “just be careful of my pet crocodile in there”, well, you never saw three kids move so quickly, they came out of there like a shot from a gun.

Trish, I don't know how a Mango tree would go as we don't have them down here and I've never had any experience with them (except eating them, when I can afford it) so maybe some of our other growers up there in "Mango Country" could offer better advise to you . I do know that another tree which in the past I thought would be unsuitable to grow brom's and orchids on is the Frangipani tree. I was surprised to see one in a friends back yard covered in small Neo's and Tillandsias so I guess we learn something new every day.

I've been giving some more thought to Shirley's Neo. 'Bold Streak' x Mc Williamsii and now think that cross may be a bit "unstable" which would explain the different markings, and then on the other hand, those plants could also be sports as a lot of plants will throw a sport or two which is different to the mother plant. I haven't seen this happen with my plants of that name, but then I've only grown it for a couple of years so maybe someone else with more experience growing this plant over a longer period can add more to this conversation; what about you if you're reading this Jen?.

Shirley - Regarding your plant named Neo. 'Bold Streak' x Mc Williamsii; it may also be one of the many unregistered “look-a-likes” which someone has just put that name on because it looks similar to the original. There are quite a few of these “radial red” types around which have mainly come from crossings using Neo 'Rosea Striata', in fact I did a cross myself (Neo. 'Rosea Striata' x 'Bea Hanson') which eventually produced about twenty of these types and at this stage I still have ten which I am growing on. (See pic's 1-5 showing these seedlings and their varying colours when they were young)

There is also a plant which has been getting around the Northern NSW and Queensland area for a few years now and it is registered as Neo 'Blake Street Beauty' and I initially thought this may have been the plant I originally got from Jen as Neo. 'Bold Streak' x Mc Williamsii and that her plant may have been still carrying the formula name and not the registered name. However when I started to delve into these radial red types further, I found that there are many of similar appearance from different crossings, some registered and some not; so I guess we'll never know which is which for sure, but do we really care? After all, they are all beautifully marked plants which I am sure we like to have in our collections anyway.
To see a pic of the original registered Neo. 'Blake Street Beauty', go to: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=10191#10191

I must say you have done a wonderful job of growing your little Neo 'Small World'. It's a beautiful little plant with lovely round shape and nice wide leaves which only adds to the great “filled-in” shape. This one along with 'Break of Day', 'One and Only' and a couple of others which I can't remember just now are all beautiful plants of small size and a pleasure in anyone's collection..

Sue – If you would like to email me a pic of your Aechmea NOID (so it doesn't have the DG copyright mark on it) along with the growing conditions e.g. degree of light it was grown under etc. I can post it on a couple of the brom forums I visit and see if I can get a name for you, even if you can get some extra pic's from different angles and a close-up of the leaf will help also with attempting an ID.

Regarding Neo. 'Smithii' I have found the same thing as you. Mine are also slow growers and initially I though I may have a “crook clone“or I may have been a "crook grower" so I got a couple of others from different growers, one from Vic. and one from Qld. and the result is the same, still very slow growers, that's why I've been reluctant to try it in any breeding programme although I know that Lisa Vinzant of Hawaii has bred some beautiful smaller type Neo's using 'Smithii' hybrids as parents, so maybe the second generation from it are better growers. see http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&id=3256#3256

Once again you show a great example of just how much different degrees of light can change the appearance of a plant. If we were all seeing those two plants for the first time I'm sure we all would think they were different plants. This is a good example of what to consider when trying to ID a plant also as its appearance depends greatly on where it was grown, which is all info that should be given when seeking ID.

That pic of you Nidularium NOID looks a bit like my Nid. 'Madonna', I know they do vary a bit in flower colour depending on where they are grown but it does look similar to mine. There was also a Nid. Longiflorum x Madonna getting around down here for a while which looks similar also, but Nid's just don't seem to have taken off down here, I don't know why as I think they are great plants and especially good for those difficult shady areas.

That's it for me today all the best, Nev.

Pic's are of five of the Neo 'Rosea Striata' x 'Bea Hanson' seedlings.

Hi all, I arrived home safely at about 4 pm this afternoon. A bit if rain has been around keeping things a bit moist and most of my plants appear to be ok. I did collect a few on my trip home and will try to photo them tomorrow. 984 km trip home and that is a good enough days work for me. I have unpacked but not sorted out things as yet.
Have a good one.
Ian

Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

Well we experienced another scorcher of a day here in paradise so I got up early and continued weeding the front garden bed where I had to keep chasing the shade to shelter under as it was too overwhelming to work in the sun. The neighbours next door had the exact same idea just that they ran out of shade to hide under so they went back inside. Anyway I should have the front garden bed done this arvo as I want to relocate some brom’s to the area as well as inject some more colour into the garden.

Hi Bree glad to hear you like my Vr. ‘Splendrite’, I luv it but find it to be such a slow grower. I only have the one and it is yet to pup, I would like to get more of these to place in the garden because they really do stand out even when not in flower.

Bree nice pic of your Neo ‘Bold Streak x Mcwilliamsii’, yours has great markings and colour more so than mine.

Hi Shirley pleased to hear your feeling much better, sounds like you have been very busy in the garden; isn’t it a great feeling when you get tasks out the way and things are nice and tidy in the garden. We noticed too that everything is growing so quickly, even the dead patches of lawn in the garden have nearly mended with the beautiful rain we experienced the grass is growing back nice and quick. We decided not to mow this weekend just to give the grass time to grow a bit more and for new roots to take hold.

Shirley your pic of Neo ‘Small World’ is so nice, what a beautiful compact shape it has and I really like the multitudes of markings all over it as well as its colour and pink tips.

Hi Sue yeah definitely making the most of our time off, especially since all the visitors have gone, it’s nice to have everything back in order where I can go and spend quality time out in the garden. Joe wanted to spend some time with me so sat outside on a chair in a shady spot in the garden with the laptop watching me weed my brom garden bed lol, I really enjoyed his company and chatted madly to him until he went back inside because the battery was going dead on the laptop lol. We too have been using the pool a lot, we jump in at least 3 or 4 times a day when we are off, it’s handy for cooling off when you are in the garden all day as the heat really knocks me around especially because of the amount of time I try to stay in the garden.

Speaking of water, today I managed to hose the inside of our house LOL when I dragged a garden hose around to the front garden bed I had weeded to do some watering and went around to turn it on a little bit (but turned it on more than I had thought) but did not realise the hose nozzle was pointed at our front entry door which was open, I scared the crap out of Joe who was sitting on his lazy boy chair when water started hitting one of the walls and water started to flood the entry way, that’s when I heard Joe yelling loud enough for the neighbours to hear “What the hell are you doing” LOL. Next time I will have to remember to throw him a cake of soap, some shampoo and conditioner so he does not even have to get out of his seat LOL.

Yeah Sue I suppose I do feed my broms a bit lol but it is all over the show and depends on how I feel and what I see when checking them. I definitely feed the pups I buy or separate and I always feed my Vrieseas as I know they benefit from it. I am very careful with my mature Neo’s though and would prefer just giving them a fresh pot of brom mix rather than fertilise them, but again it depends on how I feel when I check on their progress and if I feel they need a little food I give it to them but at all costs I try not to feed them too much or this might strip them of their colour.

Sue luved all your brom and orchid pics, especially was interesting to see vriesea ospinae var gruberi’s grown in different light conditions, I find them to be such an interesting vriesea because they are so different to all my others in the way their leaves look so thick and rubbery. I am just starting to feed mine more to see if this makes a difference to their drooping leaves as they always appear thirsty or hungry to me and I can’t help but worry about them lol.

Hi Nev luved reading about your grandsons and the “jungle track”, sounds like they have hours of fun and it will be something they will remember for the rest of their lives. I remember as a kid picking wild berries in Bordeaux - France in what to me was a magical forest full of thick mist and fog, I truly believed this forest was where fairy’s lived because it was such a magical place to me full of many trees, moss growing on everything and I will never forget the smell of the earth, decomposing leaf matter and the beautiful smell of the trees. The berries I have never tasted anything like them since and whenever I do eat berries it reminds me of the beautiful magical forest I discovered as a child in Bordeaux.

Nev I have a Till growing in our Mango Tree but it is growing on its own bit of wood, I wonder if it would grow just as happy attached to the Mango Tree, maybe one day I will give it a go and report back to everyone? Joe has some Bush Orchids growing in the centre of the tree and they appear to be content, growing and they flower well. I just have not tried any of my other bromeliads that do well in trees yet, I suppose as my collection expands I may have to try other options.

Nev, Joe and I were only commenting the other day that we get more of a reaction out of children when it comes to gardening then we do out of the adult friends we have, a good majority of them just can’t be bothered in doing any form of gardening other than mowing because they have to and some of them do not have any hobbies what so ever. I can’t imagine life without my garden, my bromeliads or hobbies. Children are great because they take in a lot and want to learn about things, they are like sponges, so over the time they stayed I had them out in the garden teaching them things and answering all their questions and when I was inside cooking something they all wanted to help and you could see they were so proud that they had made something from scratch rather than out of a packet. I had them picking fresh herbs out of the garden and showed them what we would cook them with and I had them picking vegetables out of the garden to eat fresh/raw and they were amazed that they had come from the garden and not a grocery store. Anyway by the time our visitors were ready to leave the kids did not want to go to their holiday destination where they had plans to go horse riding, snorkelling etc, the kids got very upset wanting to stay with us and pleaded with their parents to stay with us, one of them even cried and chucked a tantrum when they got told to get in the car. To be honest I had more fun with the kids than I did the adults because with the kids we interacted, with the adults they preferred just to sit, drink, smoke cigarettes and ignore the kids. I just can’t sit for that long or I go steer crazy and as much as I luv my friends and don’t want to be rude I just have to sometimes get up and do something to keep myself motivated otherwise all I want to do is go to sleep lol. Lucky all my friends know how I am and appreciate how precious home time means to me and often we could be sitting outside having a cup of tea and I am pulling weeds out of my brom pots lol. Maybe I am just a big kid at heart lol?

Hi Ian welcome back must feel great to be home, look forward to seeing pics of your new brom purchases.

Hi to anyone else looking in and anyone on the Sick List, we miss hearing from you all.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone!

Trish

Seem to be having trouble attaching pics so only one pic tonight of Bill’ ‘Rosea’:

Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi all, I have arrived home after a 984km drive to a bit of rain, actually it was with us for the last 200km but that is alright. On of the plants I got today is a healthy Deuterochnia. I guess that the next thing to do is to look up growing conditions and to find out how this programme works. I cannot remember what other plants I bought except that I got a Bil hallelujah that has no colour because of where it has been growing. I hope I can get it to multiply. This is a test run
I met Blade when I got home today.
Ian
That works
Pic 1 Seedlings transferred into a 5l container for growing on in dry conditions like Dalby, another experiment.
Pic 2 Vriesia dunno

Townsville, Australia

Ian your Pic 2 Vriesea dunno looks like Vr. 'Tiger Tim', looks like you got a good deal to as appears to be more than one in the pot - bargain.

Night all!

Trish

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, we had a bit of a lazy day here today, it was overcast and very windy. We had family visit us this morning and I felt really tired after they left. I opted for a nanny nap after lunch but slept for hours … guess I needed it. I did a bit of watering late this afternoon and righted a few pots that had been blown over and there were some big, heavy ones too, fortunately no real damage to plants.

Sue, the difference in the colour of your vr Ospinae grown in different light conditions is amazing.

Nev, there are some very nice seedlings in your pics. Just out of curiousity, how long ago were they planted.

Ian, good to hear you arrived home safe and sound and with some new plants to add to your collection. Is Blade your new grandson?

Trish, sounds like you just HAD to get Joe out of his lazy boy chair and on his feet but a bit extreme hosing the inside of your house to achieve it. Hope there wasn’t too much of a mess to clean up.

I am hoping to get some serious brom time tomorrow. Catch up tomorrow night.

Pics are 1 vr Sunset, 2 neo Forbidden

Bye for now, Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me Thumbnail by works4me

Hi everyone. sorry to have been awol for a few days. Just couldn't face everyone after our sad loss. had a few early nights with a book instead. we had a good last day with Max on Friday knowing the vet was coming about 5pm. His last night with us was pretty difficult for Johnny as he had Max pawing the bed as though he was asking for help but there was nothing we could do for him to help with his breathing. then Friday morning he had another majoy nose bleed which made the decision for us that it was time. after sleeping off the nose bleed he was right as rain by the time the vets arrived at 4.30. He rushed out and greeted them with wagging tail. But they were absolutely incredible, taking the time to make friends with Max and make him comfortable with them. the one with the tackle box full of needles and medicines had a drawer full of liver treats so every time he got something out of it Max anticipated another liver treat. While he was inserting the canula Max had a nice pile of liver treats between his legs to concentrate on. And the rain was falling the whole time they were here. Anyway we now only have to break our habits. For example I cooked 4 large chops last night for tea...... 1 for Johnny, 1 for me and 2 for Max. Never even thought till I was dishing up and realised there were extras and no Max to eat them. Then when we went shopping and I chose a tray of steak with 3 in it Johnny said we only needed 2 now. In the habit of getting one for Max. so those are the times when we really miss him. Also this morning when we got up I stayed in the room to strip and remake the bed before coming out for a cuppa. I found Johnny sitting downstairs as it was too windy on the verandah. Anyway he was by himself down there and I could see he didn't like being alone with no Max to talk to. I'll have to remember to get out there to talk to him instead of have him sitting there thinking too much. Anyway we had the whole family (except Paul in Hervey Bay) around tonight for a BBQ to farewell Max. The little ones kept talking about Max being in the heaven farm now. Emily is convinced that animals go to live on a farm when they can't be with us anymore.

Back to broms. Nev I checked on your link to Blake Street Beauty and was intrigued to see "alleged to be sport of manoa beauty". even though they finally registered it they still don't believe it is a sport. I saw that striped pup on a manoa beauty and a lot of other respected brom growers saw it also at Phyllis Hobbs place but because she removed the pup before taking the picture of it with its mum they said they couldn't be sure it came from that plant. I know it did as Blake street is in Cleveland where Phylis lives. anyway we now have a blake street beauty which threw 3 pups all totally different and one of them looked very similar to Shirley's "bold streak x mcwilliamsii" with the irregular stripes including big chunks of solid red stipes. I'll find the pic I took of them. (can't find one but I'll keep looking)

Ian I also think your vrisea is a tiger tim. lucky you getting one of those. I've been potting out seedlings like your tray. I either thin them out a bit and transplant into a tray like you did or I transplant the whole of a small tub into a larger tray to give them more growing room. also I've found the deeper round tubs have been too hot with little air flow around the base of the seedlings and they have rotted off so I've been transplanting what hasn't perished into rectangular trays. lost a lot of billbergia seedlings. I thought the deeper round tubs would provide support for the taller billbergia seedlings till I could pot them up but they have simply fallen apart when I tried to repot them. those that I had already thinned out weeks ago are growing nicely but any left in these round tubs are mostly gone now. lesson learned.

Nev I love your 'rosea striata x beau hansen' seedlings especially the little dark one bottom corner of pic 3 and also pic 4. I know I have some of these seedlings so i'll have to have a close look at them tomorrow. I have pics to download tonight but running out of time to do it so I think that will be a job for tomorrow night although we will have the girls so the office might be a bedroom so we'll see if I get computer access.

Pic 1 is a canistrum/edmundoi lindenii seedling grown from seed of the variegated one. shoe is placed to show size. this one I potted up quite some time ago and fed so it has matured way faster than others still in smaller pots. pic 2 is same plant flowering now. I love the mottled leaf patterns on these.

I've done a lot of potting up of seedlings this week but pics are still in the camera so I'll leave them for another night.

Hope you all have a lovely new years eve tomorrow. I'm sure we will be busy with the girls and look forward to getting at least one of them to bed early. maybe Emily will be able to stay awake long enough to share the fireworks with Pa as he won't have Max to go down to the boat ramp to watch them with him. we might just have to go to bed instead and ignore them.

Night all.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch

Sue this pic is one that Leisa D identified for me when it flowered. it is nid innocentii var paxianum which she had photographed in a botanical garde in Germany when she was there. she was trawling through photos on her laptop when she was in hospital that last time and came across it. I had posted a pic when it flowered and it didn't look like the other longiflorums we had. I think I gave you a pup of it because of the Leisa link after she died. that is possibly how you came to have it.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone -Sorry but I have to rush this morning so just a few pic's and I'll be back later,

Pic.1 is (sorry) an orchid, Stanhopea Tigrina - it's a fascinating plant which flowers out the bottom of the pot/basket and has a very strong smell of vanilla.

After Wendy posted a pic of her Ae. Caudata variegata a while back, I went looking for mine which I said had never flowered. Well guess what? They are both flowering now. They are two differetnt clones and growing in different areas and different light intensities. Pic.2 Ae. Caudata variegata #1, Pic.3 Ae Caudata variegata #1 inflorescence, Pic.4 Ae Caudata variegata #2, and Pic.5 Ae Caudata variegata #2 inflorescence.

All the best, Nev.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good morning you lot.
Nev, it is great how kids like a path way! I have lots of tracks through the gardens, just for access and usually designed by the dogs. Kids love them, and run around when ever they are here.
As for Mango trees as suitable mounts for bromeliads, I can't see why not? They do lose leaves regularly, so it would be wise to clean out the brom tanks on occasion. I think for Tillandsias, they would be perfect.
Thanks for your offer about putting the pics up for ID. I will have to wait for the plant I have to mature a bit more, as the flowering ones went to the markets last week, and I have one left with a new spike. I have plenty of non-flowering ones yet, so I can at least photograph leaves e.t.c.
I looked up Nidularium 'Madonna' on the photo index, but it looks to have alot of spines on both flower and leaf. have you noticed that on the ones you have seen? I have had at least a dozen flowering Nidulariums, (N. rutilans, N. longiflorum, N, 'Leprosa', and N. 'Nana') on my sales table for two months. They are beautiful! but don't sell. most of my customers seem to be looking for sun hardy broms.
Ian, what a huge trip you had. I bet you were stuffed after that? i have had Deuterachonias in the past. They like it hot and dry! I flowered one,and collected seed, but they didn't germinate
SEED! I just remembered, I got seed from Aechmea 'Blush' (an orange recurvata) would anyone like some? The pods were huge, and extremely hard to squeeze the seed from.
Trish, I use my garden as an escape sometimes. If we have visitors and I have had enough and need a break, watering is always a good excuse! Although, I do mine outsied the house! LOL
Try your Vriesea ospinae gruberis with a soil based mix, even straight potting mix, to keep a bit more moisture in. You might find the leaves will stay perky. I don't worry about mine too much, but I water the brom house every three days at this time of the year, so I make sure I give them a bit more than a splash, and I get the hose under the leaves to make sure the soil in the pot gets wet.
I loved your description of berry picking in Bordeaux. I can almost smell the forest earth e.t.c. Were you holidaying or did you spend time there growing up?
Shirley, it sounds as though you needed the sleep. Sometimes our bodys know exactly what we need. Its the right time of year for afternoon naps! (might try one myself later if I want to see in the new Year.) I hope you get your brom time today, and look forward to a few photos.
Wendy, it sounds like you made the hard descision at the right time, and you had a wonderful vet too, by the sounds. Lucky Max. It sounds like he was a very well fed bloke too! heh heh. I'm sure you will think of him fondly for many years to come, with little reminders cropping up from time to time. The ones you love never really leave. Keeping Johnny occupied sounds like a good idea, and a fishing trip away might be the go?
The Nidularium photo looks like the variegated one previously ID'd as Nid. innocentii var striatum, but without the variegation. The last one I posted had more solid colour to the bracts, but in shape and all else, very similar to yours. I got mine in the new collection I purchased, and had put it in with the longiflorums because the leaf is similar. It was only at flowering that I noticed it was somewhat different.
Photo one is the A. recurvata 'Blush' seed pods.HUGE!
Photo two is Tillandsia 'Creation' coming into spike, although it not very big yet.
Photo three and four were both bought as Guzmania 'Conifera' which is right?
I hope everyone enjoys seeing in the new year.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman
Townsville, Australia

Hi Everyone!

It’s been raining pretty much all day long apart from this morning when we took the girls for a walk on the beach at about 6am. I only did about a half hour of gardening in the front yard pruning back our hibiscus trees and then the rain came pelting down sideways with the wind and in a few seconds I was drenched from head to toe, normally I luv gardening in the rain but I actually started feeling really cold with the wind and being in wet clothes did not help so I ended up calling it quits for the day and left a pile of hibiscus cuttings in the front yard to collect tomorrow which is not like me at all as normally I clean as I go and don’t like to leave any mess to wake up to the next day. We also went for a quick dip in the pool at about 6pm but again it was just too cold for me and I got sick of chasing to find pockets of warm water, but hey what a good bit of rain we are getting with more heading our way by the look of the weather radar.

I also collected a fair bit of rainwater in containers so I could give all my vriesea’s in our entertainment area a good drink as I know how much they benefit from it. I think we will look at getting rainwater tanks installed in a year or two given the sheer amount of water we use around the garden, and the more our orchid and brom collection grows the more water we will consume and if we are not careful it is really going to burn a huge hole in our pockets. Having a swimming pool also does not help matters. We do have a bore but it has been dry since about March, today is the first good bit of rain we have had for a long time.

So really it has been an indoor sports day today, watched a couple of movies, did a bit of reading, looked at my brom books and watched the rain and a bit of a storm we had.

Hi Shirley hope you got to spend quality time with your bromeliads today like you wanted, unfortunately the rain had other ideas for me today so I just had to admire them from afar looking at them through glass windows but it gave me time to sit and read my brom and gardening books and I felt like I really relaxed and even snuck in a little nanna nap in there somewhere which did me the world of good.

Shirley nice Pic 1 of your Vr. Sunset in flower, mine is yet to show signs of flowering and no signs of it pupping yet. Do you have any pups on yours yet? I brought mine from an orchid show we went to in Ingham after seeing one on display that had one first prize, it was huge, beautiful and in flower and brought a mature pup for about $10 because I really liked how different it was to some of the other vrieseas I had started collecting and I luved all its bright colours. Shirley also really liked your Pic 2 of Neo ‘Forbidden’, like how it displays those long and short leaves.

Hi Wendy nice to see you back and posting nice brom pics, also sounds like you have been very busy potting up lots of seedlings.

Hi Nev I hope you had a great day, sounds like you were in a bit of a rush this morning. Your Pic 1 Stanhopea Tigrina orchid looks stunning and I can imagine that the vanilla perfume it produces would be pretty intense but lovely. Some of the orchids that Joe has in our nursery floods the place with the smell of vanilla when in flower and the smell wafts through the house when the doors are open.

Hi Sue thanks for your feedback regarding Mango Trees and growing broms on them, I will have to give it a go in 2013 once we have had someone over to cut it back a bit as it is getting way too big and we really want to keep it a nice shape and manageable size.

Sue thanks also for your great advice regarding my Vr. ospinae gruberis, I will give this a try most definitely and let everyone know how they go.

Sue my grandma who passed away many years ago lived in Bordeaux all her life and lived to the ripe old age of 98. We used to visit her as kids and take long walks along the roads amongst the beautiful hills and would pick these beautiful wild berries in the forest. I was actually born in France at a place called Nice. We moved to Australia when I 4yrs old, we went back to visit when I was 7 and we have not been back since but I would like to go back and visit and show Joe where I was born and go back to Bordeaux to visit my grandma’s place and pick wild berries in the forest with him if the forest is still there which my cousins assure me it still is.

Sue those seed pods of your Ae. Recurvate ‘Blush’ are HUGE not at all what you would expect to be produced from this sized brom.

Would anyone happen to have the following broms that I have been chasing for a while, Neo ‘Exotica Velvet’, Neo ‘Exotica Satin’ and Neo ‘Exotica Pink Dawn’? I never see these on EBay or anywhere? Reading my brom books reminded me that I have been chasing these for years along with Neo ‘Reverence’ that I mentioned before.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, I am looking forward to chatting with you all in 2013. I have my favourite bottle of champagne ready to pop I just hope we can stay awake long enough to enjoy it LOL.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone!

Trish

Pic 1 – Vr. Hieroglyphica Hybrid
Pic 2 – Neo ‘Maya’
Pic 3 – Neo ‘Jean Evans’
Pic 4 – Vr. ‘Zapita’

Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy Thumbnail by bromishy

Hi all, and a happy New year to all. Ah so peaceful to be home and as a late xmas present it has been raining on and off since last night. I don’t know how much we have had but it seems to be watering the plants. It is still showering now at 8.43pm on the last day of this year.
Friday last week I taught a couple of people to collect, prepare and sew seeds from Ae family and tried to describe collection with Neo’s as well. I am sharing what i know to help others.
Thanks for Identifying Vr Tiger Tim for me. It has a couple of pups on it and it came from Bunnings, the only plant worth buying from that store at that time. Well that is my opinion anyway.
Yes Blade is my Grandson and he is a quiet baby, how could I be so lucky. I expected to have sleepless nights and as yet this is not the case.
Sue I would love to try Ae Blush from seed.
Nev I think the C class loco was fully restored before being parked up. It is in the Miles museum.
Today with the rain and due to the fact that I have been away I thought it time to pot up some seedlings,some Canistrum burchellii, Portea petropoliana var extensa and some unknown Ae that I planted on 24-06-12. Some of these are 4”high so into pots some went, more tomorrow with luck rain or no rain.The weather is the boss until Grandson gives voice.
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 Ae gigantea
Pic 2Canistrum monatanum
Pic 3 Quesnelia liboniana?

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, a very quick message tonight ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Catch up soon, bye for now

Shirley

Thumbnail by works4me
Brisbane, Australia

Hi Nev and Sue,

I beat you both to post this morning LOL

Have a good one,

Shirley

Coffs Harbour, Australia

a new thread for a new years.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292392/

Geeze Shirley. I would have had to get on before bed to beat you!
I trust everyone has seen in the new year with a drink or some celebration?
I had a late one, but am not able to sleep much passed daylight, so will have to get in a nanny nap later in the day.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Trish, it sounds like you had a mostly productive day, and to get some rain is a nice start to the new year. Your Vriesea heiroglyphica hybrid look large! Its very attractive too.
Neo. 'Exotica Velvet' is around in Australia. It was tissue cultured though, and doesn't have the striations that you see in Andrew Steens book. I'm not sure that there are any original pups floating around, although the tissue cultured one is a nice deep plum colour, and its quite a large brom. I bought a brom off Ebay, labelled "Exotica Satin' even though I was sure it wasn't. I did quizz the seller about its background, and got the standard 'I bought it from a reputable seller' in reply, but I think its N. rosea striata or somethng similar. Anyway, I didn'y buy it for its name and didn't pay a real lot for it, so nothing lost.
I hope you get back to Bordeaux to pick wild berries one day.
Ian, I'm not sure if you have the right name for the first photo in your post. It looks more like a Vriesea. Aechmea giantea is a big tubular plant that gets a flower, (like A. fasciata) deep down in the centre. I think you are right with Quesnelia liboniana, as the foliage looks about right. Lucky you to have such a good grandson.
Anyway all, Pop on over to the new thread and lets keep this going for another year.
Sue
V. splendens in Leisas garden.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone, My computer has finally died and I don't know when I'll get another. I'm just sending this brief mssage from a friend's computer so you won't all think I don't want to talk to you anymore.

I'll be back on the forum as soon as I possibly can as I enjoy our communications very much; in the mean time, have a Happy New Year!

All the best, Nev.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.