WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Hobart, IN

If I happen to be out shoveling when the smaller plows come through, the driver is nice enough to move the snow from in front of my driveway. We live on a cul du sac so there's not much space in between the driveways to pile the snow.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Get that pile at the end of the drive a couple of times of year , smaller plows here are not as bad as the the huge yellow dumpers or INDOT plows.
Weather is real quiet here about 30 degrees , That is a little concerning considering the forecast

Hobart, IN

TWC radar shows that it's sleeting here but must not be hitting the ground. A little bit of a breeze here with gray skies.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Planted Chesnook garlic today,, Garlic that is already there ,looks good, everything else is mud and wet frozen thawed cooked lettuce..... ewwwwww....... rain about 60 degrees ,,, a giddy♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫

Hobart, IN

Light rain turned (momentarily) into ice late yesterday. Gray, wet and 50's today. Almost all of the snow has melted but I don't think the ground has warmed up much as there were puddles in the lawn. Yeah, I'd think the lettuce would be mush about now. Did you start your garlic from seed or bulbs? Outdoors? When will you be able to harvest it? I need to get some small leftover daffodil bulbs into the ground. Maybe tomorrow. They're too small to bloom yet but I feel horribly guilty having them sit in a bucket in the garage.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Garlic is all from bulbs ,, last year the bubils of red snake garlic went dormant in June ,, I left them in the ground and they returned this fall, at least one of them is looking really good ,big &strong , red Siberian bulbs are still growing strong looking bout average ,, Weather yesterday was similar here , only there was a long calm ,,, (YES, all Garlic outside)
As long as their cold , all should be well with the flower bulbs...(You know that though don't you) ? feeling guilty lol.lol.
There is one bachelor button( cornflower )at the corner of a garden bed that looks to growing ,only it is really only alive ,,I find them them difficult to start , only once their in and developed I have had them live for three years here , pretty good for a Biennial huh? They are really a three to five year perennial... Regardless of what the info usually says..

Hobart, IN

My only experience with bachelor buttons is the perennial type.
I transplanted some small pieces of Campanula 'E.H. Frost' last fall after the big oak was removed and they actually look happier now than when I put them in the ground during the hot, dry fall. Haven't grown but at least look perky.

Hobart, IN

Have luckily dodged any severe weather here. I'm kinda looking forward to some more moisture tomorrow but hoping it's rain instead of sleet or snow.
Still not doing anything outside in the gardens yet although I've started spring prep inside by taking some Coleus cuttings (trained my 9 yo GD how to do it) and repotted two large hydrangeas today in the garage. One I keep in a pot here because I'm not quite sure of the hardiness of a "florist hydrangea" and the other for my DD's new garden in MI, transplanted from TN last year and kept in a temporary pot. DD and SIL are buying a home on a couple of acres in a rural area between Holland and Saugatuck and should be moved in before spring hits. She can't wait to get her hands in the dirt again, especially dirt that's not full of rocks, chirt and clay up on a ridge in rural TN. I'm guessing I'm babysitting 30 or so perennials and small shrubs for her, sentimental favorites that she wanted to take with her.
Hoping to start some indoor seeds next week! No veggies yet but a few slow annuals, perennials and herbs.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

My gardens is under 5 inches of snow so yeah..... 3-5 more coming tomorrow then they are "watching" the one to hit Monday, 6 weeks from today, Spring....... can't wait.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Trying a few with success ,losing a few, always about that with me , sunny today ,40 or so , grounds frozen , cannot do much that way.. Rolled out some fence for trellis last week , potted up a tomato plant today , one racing to grow .. okay with me ..
Some of my annuals look fine some of my perennial efforts not so fin ,wrong time , wrong way. some cuttings looking okay , some of last years divisions ,all right ..
I over do some ,, still ...gives me a motive to keep up with some thing.....

Hobart, IN

cece - you and juhur have gotten hit harder with winter weather than I have. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the trend for the upcoming growing season - dry again.
juhur - you are much more adventurous than me in your seed-starting. It'll be the last part of March before I start tomatoes since I can't give them enough light if they get too big.
Ach! Discovered something has been getting into my cold frame and digging up over-wintering perennials from their pots. I'm suspecting voles or mice. Will have to find a dry time during today to see what's going on and to see what I can rescue. Going to focus on repotting stuff this next week before I get seeds started. I hoarded some leaf and worm compost indoors late fall so can add that to store-bought potting soil. I'll allow a couple of weeks for the plants to get re-established before starting to feed them in early March.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HERE IS A Centaurea and a Farmstead plant
from today Tomato plant is trying acting ,it is imitating a maple .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Cindy , I forgot to ask you if found out who the cold frame raider is.? MARTY MOUSE has found a neat icebox huh ?/lol
I hate that when that happens !!!
Good luck with security and sorry for your trouble .....

Hobart, IN

I am so bummed. Did some more investigating the other day and the unknown creature has emptied about 15 pots, eating the entire plant and even digging to get to the roots. Even ate an entire holly plant. All of these were plants destined for DD's new garden. I suspect it's probably a vole. The creature even gnawed on some iris rhizomes. Going to go through the pots today in the garage to see if any remnants of plants remain. It looks like the creature burrowed in under the cold frame which really only sits on top of the ground. Did run out to Menards and got some mouse "control" product as I really don't want this type of destruction.

Hobart, IN

Yippee! Crocuses are poking through the ground - about 1 1/2" tall with tiny flower buds on the tips. Also saw some daffodil foliage on the south side of the house. Hope they all don't get too brave yet!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

:( not here. 7 inches of snow all over the place !

Hobart, IN

cece - we've dodged most of the snow here so that's why I can see some of the emerging stuff, especially after the warmer weather we had last week. Of course, along about mid-summer, I'll be wishing we would have gotten more snow to build up soil moisture reserves. Have noticed that when we have more snow, I'm more likely to see remnants of last season's foliage about the soil line. This winter, there's nothing to show where some perennials have been. Lack of moisture, lack of snow cover and wind have really cleaned up some spots. Just hope the roots are still happy underground. I did leave more stuff standing, hoping for some sheltering effects.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I leave all m y stuff standing til spring. The clean up is so looked forward after the winter. So I can see some things only they are brown and dead tops from last year, Remnants of fall.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A couple of potted up seedlings today , They will dwarf at this rate ,by the time they go in the garden ,lol Still a little fun..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tomorrow is Feb,14

Hoosier your Valentine!!!!!!! lol

Hobart, IN

Hope everyone had a great heart day. Went up to MI for a couple of days to shop (which I usually only do with gardening stuff) and to help DD pack for big move at the end of the month. OD'd on Thai and Middle Eastern food which DH doesn't usually care for. Had snow last night in MI but driving home this morning there was no snow on the ground in IN. I think my car is the only one locally to be encrusted with ice and snow.
juhur - it is great to start potting up seedlings. Means spring is right around the corner! This week I can finally get some indoor seeds started. Yea!
cece - I can empathize with cutting down the brown stuff as the new green stuff is coming up. If I leave too much standing though, it traps all of the oak leaves which makes for a back-breaking cleanup in the spring when I can't get stuff uncovered fast enough before the newly emerging plants get trapped under a mat of wet oak leaves.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here also ,lots of browns burned up to be cleaned , glean and chore time coming ,,lol
Here are some flower seedlings
Giant cornflower
Gaura
Huckleberry . the big one is the Centaurea from a few posts ago ,the little fellows with two leaves , these are doing all right . #3 is the Huckleberry

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Your seedlings are looking great. How many huckleberries did you end up with?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Numbers are not final yet ,I will plant another half a dozen cups or so of huckleberries/.Germination is not good from the seeds.Three nice ones growing ,so far..
It snowed here last night ,, here we go again .

Thank you inspiration and hope count..!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 1:36 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is the best one , I need to have 20 or 30 of them ,from what I read , That might get interesting trying that many?

Hobart, IN

Loving the 40's here yesterday and today. Collected about 10 gallons of water from melting snow yesterday via the rain barrels. Using for fluoride-sensitive plants and seedlings (when I don't use distilled water). Seeing a few more daffodil leaf tips but I'd be happier if they'd wait a couple more weeks. Some of my indoor-sown seeds planted last Weds have sprouted - thyme, snapdragons and one of the Campanulas - so I'm happy seeing green (at least indoors). Now have 5 hydrangeas growing in the heated garage and have 5 different irises sprouting in pots that the silly voles had gnawed on. Now if I could only resurrect butterfly bushes and daisies, I'd be happy.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a few more cornflowers sprouting up some new borage sprouts , Yes indeed some green to look upon is nice ! I have no bulbs showing outside at all , that is worrisome ... voles, rot, it happens ..A few hyacinths will likely return anyway though they usually do eventually , water doesn't bother them they can grow in my winter fall pond earth.
I mailed a few plants and seeds to a couple of DGer's and am still looking over what I would like or have to try and grow
Lot's to do yet , in time ..it will get done though.
You could try naming your plants Lazarus ! lol Well maybe? it was just a thought , you never know for sure as absolutely what might get them to grow.. lol
I have to be careful of drafty air getting to my tomato starts , the one is all I have lost , and that is still too many.Easy grow plants like the catgrass Oats are growing real fast about 2 or so inches a day zoom!!!! Others are taking their time ,they seem to know it is not time to grow yet ,,
Some of last night's pics
#1 Oatgrass #2 #3 Huckleberry #4 #5 Cornflower

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Lazarus - LOL! (secretly I wish) DD has had the daisy for about 10 years and at two homes so I'm keeping my fingers crossed since they're pretty tough plants. A sentimental carry-over. Darned voles! I did notice that some critter's been nibbling at the D-Con I set out in the cold frame after removing all of the plants. Hmmm - voles don't care for Astilbes I noticed.
Your huckleberries look great! Don't have anything here that far along. I did notice that the shrub cuttings I took last year and have been sitting quietly all winter in my little GH are starting to show some green leaf tips. They'll be too small to plant out this year and will have to spend another year in a pot until they are big enough. Will probably do another batch of coleus cuttings next week as well as getting some more herbs started.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I um hmm (throat noise) borrowed my sister's cool pix , doing a test lol Yeah I know , but it's good junk!!!!

And thank you for compliments , and some of mine are too early ,your more patient and probably nearer correct than I am , I just ""gotta ya know?""

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 7:35 PM

Hobart, IN

You are far more patient than I because you're willing to move your plants in and out dependent on the weather, etc. I can get pretty lazy with that. I'd start stuff earlier but I'd just run out of room in my little GH. This year it is a lot fuller due to overwintering stuff for DD but I should be freeing up a lot of space in another month. I am growing more stuff this year though that takes longer to reach a "plant out" stage - snapdragons, browallia, campanula. Once I start the dahlias and zinnias, I'll be lucky to have room to turn around.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm still in thinking stage. Have all the seeds but still haven't set up lights and such. But I am "thinking" about it. lol

Hobart, IN

cece - LOL - know what you mean. I start "thinking" around January and usually have the slower seeds going by the end of Jan. This year, I started about a month later than normal.
Ach! rain turned to sleet has just turned over to wet snow, coming straight down like rain. Only have to leave the house this afternoon to pick up GD from school a block away. Otherwise, I'm stuck indoors cleaning bathrooms which I hate.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Snowing like "h" here Wind so high its blowing the snow horizontal. Can barely see the building across the street. Can you say WHITE OUT????? I don't want to whine but I am DONE with winter. Wish the weather would get with the program

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The Hyacinth's four or five of them ,have sprouted up !!!! First blooms in two weeks?
Raining good here ,
All I can say about the snow ? it is February in the great white north ,
You will have memories to think back on in Summer when it is 100 DEGREES ! And as dry as gulch bones!!!'
Cindy's weather sounds like tomorrows here , garlic is still growing in the garden.. may--beee?-

Hobart, IN

cece - Ouch! Sorry about your nasty weather up north. And yes, it's ok to whine. Hmm - Friday is meteorological first day of spring. Hope this storm system gets the hint.
juhur - yeah, I remember last summer and that's why I'm trying not to complain to much about any precipitation I get here (unless it gets as bad as cece's weather).
Our temps are a hair above freezing so this precipitation is not sure how it wants to present itself. Snow that melts to slush that freezes at night, compounded by rain/sleet during the day.
More seeds sprouted indoors - white foxglove and some savory. Even had some old white snapdragon seeds sprout. Now I need to get them next to the lights.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

10 inches in Waukesha County. Least we're not in Sheboygan where they got 18.5 inches. We've got an additional 2-3 inches forecast for today and then Friday is another weaker system moving in.

Still thinking about getting seeds started.

Hobart, IN

Chuckle about the "thinking" thing.

Hobart, IN

Sunny and above 40 here today. Loving it! And collecting more snow melt via the rain barrels. Getting time to ramp up on watering/fertilizing/repotting the pots currently indoors. Hoping that some of my shrub cuttings will really take off now with real sun on their leaves.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Near that here , looking over my mess where the garden is suppose to be, cleaning garden tools .
Have some plants sitting the sink and window with real sun Yes that real sun is some"" gooood stuff!!!!!""

From earlier today ,, my tomato plants , yep waiting to go gardening ..lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey !! depending on the system you are using here , I either green or blue linked you. it was completely unintentional ..
New phrase , here , you have just been ""green linked"" zap!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.