WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Never got anything started. Last Friday, March 1st we ended up putting #2 of 4 brothers in Hospice and have been spending most of the week out there. They had given him 2 days last Friday, happy to say he is still with us. Don't know for how long though, He's in stage 4 colon cancer that has metastasized to his liver and bladder. Two years now he has been dealing with this, So NOTHING is getting started till this is all over.

Hobart, IN

cece - so sorry to hear of your brother's illness. Hoping he's not in too much pain.
juhur - green-linked? That's a new one but very welcome at this time of year. I'm scheduling cleaning and sharpening of garden tools this weekend. I'll need to go prune clematis real soon and my pruners are in a sorry state. I'm real bad about cleaning up all of the tools at the end of the season. Also have a tray of seedlings that need thinning this weekend. I can do that in front of the tv in the evening.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Same cece . really sorry to about your brother , From personal experience I will say care is much better today than years ago, Still it is so very difficult to deal with .

Cindy ..what is thinning seedlings , you mean pecking them out like a row in the garden or?
On my previous post the ""go gardening"" click on it , you can , it's green on my computer blue on another!!

Hobart, IN

When I sow indoors, I tend to sprinkle too many seeds, especially if the seeds are older and I'm unsure of germination rates or if the seeds are really tiny. Once they've sprouted, I go back and, with a pair of embroidery scissors, cut down the surplus seedlings, leaving only a couple per cell. I try not to pull them out since that can bring a whole clump of seedlings out at one time. Once I see which of the remaining seedlings is going to grow best, I mow down the unwanted ones so that I have one seedling per cell. I actually have a small pair of sewing scissors with a hook on the end (to cut stitches) that makes it easy to grab an unwanted seedling and snip it off.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some how I knew or was afraid you were going to tell me that. ?
I waited all day yesterday ,to come back with ::
EEEEK !!!! PLANT Killer !!!!LOL
I know you knew it though ,, and that's why you waited ,
Some of mine resent being grown in pots ,, When too many ,, I wait until in the ground and I have one or two growing before I do anything as snipping ,
You may recall a conversation or two last year or season , that is when I lost a few setting them outside , Extras are a good thing for me as far as the plant seedlings
I am not a pot type gardener , never did have the ""knack"" for that
I am admiring those who do^_^.

Hobart, IN

"Plant killer" - yeah, I know. When I first started sowing seeds indoors, I would desperately try to transplant every excess seedling, none of which had their first true leaves and were all of 1/8" tall. Somehow felt a moral obligation to save them all. But I got over that as the years went on. And as generously as I sometimes sprinkle fine seeds, I really don't have room for 100 foxglove nor the desire to plant that many. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I have done that or let a couple pots of plants go to waste because I had no room or place for them When they all grow like a pod of poppy seeds , you can be overwhelmed real quick !
I planted a dozen more tomato seeds of 11 different varieties yesterday ,

Great white
Burpee's long keeper
black cherry
black krim
bugess mammoth
belle starr
brandywine yellow
juane flamme
gardener's delight
These are a few I am still working on about ideas getting to the Russian and polish varieties The others started before are ready to plant , so they going to be huge before I get to plant them That is the idea though . it is only how many of any of these I still have at the end of the season (a little lol)

Hobart, IN

That's an impressive list of tomato varieties.
The first time I grew tomatoes from seed (just a couple of years ago), I started them waaay too early. Kept transplanting them into taller pots to bury the stems deeper and deeper to counter the legginess. Had to stake them before they even made it outdoors. And it was almost a two person job to plant them, trying to keep the stake in place to protect the stem. I'll probably start mine late next week. It seems as if you've mastered the art of starting them early and keeping them "transplantable".

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The pic's not mastered . only there and trying ,, hopefully successfully ...
1&2 The tray I have shown before
#3 A rather stringy Romanesco
#4 Farmstead Huge That looks better than the pic
#5 Burgess Lemon #4 is about a foot tall , ready to grow.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Obviously a few near fails or empty pot cups , But as I am senile it ain't bad . The plants to the left are flowers ,.
The idea of knowing about some of the tomato plants The farmstead and broad ripple currant take a lot of process abuse of moving the around , temperature changes or light difficulties , Easier plants to grow than the others ,
Some will not take that at all . I like looking for easy plants to grow , those two above Burpee's hybrid beefsteak the Ester Hess Those four are all real easy to grow
The Marglobe also, all the others are I either do not know or are more difficult , These planted yesterday and tomorrow should not be a problem as planted about the first day of spring which is of course ,about the time to start them , unless your impatient like me and just have too!!!lol
Had a Burgundy Hibiscus sprout yesterday also , Hummingbird food for later.
By the way Cindy there was a comment last year about Romanesco tomato and someone knew they grew to stringy and that some one was not impressed with them , I think that someone was correct about that . untill later

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 10:38 AM

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I have no heart left for starting anything this year. :(

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cececoogan It is really difficult to follow or say anything to you here , prayers and sympathy is about all one as self can do .I am sincerely in empathy for your trouble , age is often a remorse of experience and memory .

My garden here doesn't compare to the previous but on we go , ground hog wiped out my daylily seedlings , Got some grafting on fruit trees done , no new tomato seedlings as of yet , I get fatigued real quick after a winter of not enough physical doing .
Still have some daylily seedlings that weren't outside , hardening them is going to be tricky..

Hobart, IN

cece- You have my sympathies.
I didn't buy any new tomato seed varieties this year as I had so many different ones left over from last year. Starting them for 3 or 4 different folks (including me) so my seed starting list is one of this or two of that, probably encompassing 5 or 6 varieties. Next week will be busy with seeds, including bringing the stratified group out of the fridge. Also going to move forward with dividing Boston ferns and repotting other tender stuff and starting the fertilizing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That sounds like a lot to do. Everything was okay with mine here until a bulb went out on my new starts day before yesterday. Yeah I know that is not exciting , But as things begin to go wrong by the time they happen, I begin to wonder already.
All be well again in a couple of days though ,everything looks all right except for a few Hawaiin Hibiscus seeds that do want to germinate.

Hobart, IN

DD and GD were here for the weekend and I'm looking forward to putting on grubby clothes tomorrow and getting dirty with all of the horticultural chores. I still need to find a decent day to get outdoors and prune Clematis but not sure if that's going to happen before it gets a bit warmer next weekend. Had heard this morning that it'll be the end of March before it starts getting warmer here. Ugh. Did notice that the canna bulb I saved from last year has sprouted in the GH. Figured I'd have to get that started early since it was dormant but maybe I started it too early. Had also pruned back hard a couple of potted passion flower vines and they're already sprouting new leaves. Did get a few sprouts from some Carex 'Bowles Golden' seeds I'd collected a couple of years ago. Too soon to tell if they're going to have a nice yellow color or not. I was surprised they sprouted as I had read that fresh seed is required.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We're snowing today. and single digits for temps the next 3 nights. I'm leaving things alone, I found these on the 11th though, Seems the hyacinths think winter is done.

oh my I didn't post it here. How did I do that? My darling wonderful brother lost his battle with cancer on March 10th. He heaved one sigh and then nothing. He had been in a drug induced coma for 4 days.

He will always be missed.

Thumbnail by cececoogan Thumbnail by cececoogan
Hobart, IN

cece -so sorry for your loss.
Supposed to be below freezing for the next several nights here. Sigh. Lots of accidents this morning on the expressways due to falling rain/ice hitting cold overpasses. I'm staying in today!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here also , very sorry to hear about your brother , didn't have any idea what he may of been like but during the spring and summer we can remember him in life celebration prayer as we have our own, while we do our gardening and daily living remembering those we miss and hope someday to see again.
Comfort to you while you mourn the crossing over of a one so near.

Cold inside day today definitely , same for me. Three new tomato seedlings .about it .

Hobart, IN

Spent most of today repotting stuff and dividing Boston ferns. Ugh. Hate that job. While repotting my Salvia 'Black and Blue', I ended up with 4 separate plants. I keep them in pots and bring them indoors over winter because I'm not quite sure if they'd survive outdoors. Tonight, it's seed starting in front of the tv.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

FROM TODAY 'Preparing for someday? These three look good, I will admit the others are bit slower.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HERE'S the others and a Huckleberry ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I have hyacinth showing their leaves up about 3 inches and it has been so cold. I noticed them MARCH 11TH really hope all this cold weather didn't screw it up.

Hobart, IN

juhur - those babies are looking good!
cece - I sympathize - I noticed the tips a couple of weeks ago as well. Daffs are starting to emerge as well in protected spots. Always puts the rush on me to get the fall leaves off of them so the leaves don't get blanched and squashed. I've noticed that emergence tends to slow down when the weather cools so at least we haven't had those nasty hot spells like last spring.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I will be moving back to the Midwest (Kankakee, Illinois) sometime this summer after a four-year sojourn in Oregon. There will be much to enjoy at my new garden but I will miss the year-round blooms out here. This is pickings from my garden last week -- the last of the daffodils, along with pieris, camellias & foliage-y things.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Hobart, IN

summerkid - I bet all of those nurseries out your way will be hard to leave behind. Make a note - you'll have to check out Sunrise Greenhouse in Manteno, IL. Should be real close to your new location. Not especially trendy but BIG. And healthy plants.
My daffodils are just starting to open up here. Bright blue scilla everywhere. Even have some yellow primrose and Pulmonaria starting to bloom. Virginia bluebells are up about 3" so they should be in bloom in another week. One of the Hepaticas is blooming as well. It's turning a little colder here so that should slow stuff down. Did rush today to cut down old Epimedium foliage as the buds are getting ready to emerge.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

summerkid' The only thing I thought was nice , very nice floral arrangement in the pic . and I would not like the zone or the water change that goes with that move ..
Only hope all goes well with the moving around it gets to be hectic sometimes ..

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

They say that we could get snow Thursday in some parts here. And the bulbs have just started to pop out. I planted over 100 tulips list past fall, not having been able to grow them in 30 yrs.(having moved up from Florida this past September) They should be OK. Have some UFO bulbs leafing out that, at least some, may be daffodils.

Hobart, IN

FLStu - I'm just up the road from you in Hobart. I'm hoping that by "snow", the weather people mean a few pre-dawn flurries. The Chicago weather trends a bit colder than us Hoosiers experience. I wish I could get some more of that rain that Chitown is getting though. Just on and off sprinkles here. What a change for you moving here from FL. Sounds like it will be fun to see what the UFOs turn out to be. I, alas, gave up on growing tulips. I have a few that have lasted over the years, coming back in the spring with no help from me. I rely mainly on the other spring bulbs - lots of daffs, puschkinia, scilla, snowdrops, galanthus. Parrot tulips call out my name from time to time though.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

peppers and Bean sprouts .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Things just starting to poke out their heads. Planted over 100 Tulips after not being able to grow them in 30 yrs having moved from Florida this past September. Also having some unkown bulbs (#2) coming up. Waiting to see what we have in the landscape before getting perennials, but have been looking to see what's around. Still early for most nurseries. I did order some hostas, blackberry lilies and a couple of other things that I know won't be found locally. Started the beginning of a soon-to-be rock garden berm and pulling up the weed cloth that had been placed everywhere.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu
Hobart, IN

Stu - looks like you picked an excellent spot for a rock garden. I've started some blackberry lilies from seed this past winter. They're indoors though and about 2" tall right now. I think it'll be kinda fun to see what comes up at your new place. Since I don't presently work, I haven't done much ordering other than seeds but do plan a trip down to Sunrise Greenhouse in a couple of weeks. And I have a hard time pulling out plants to make room for new ones but it does happen occasionally.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I posted these other the bilbs etc the avatar , here's the scented plum , took yesterday.

My second planted of Huckleberry never sprouted , cooked boiled ,soil . started a third planting today
Cool gray day for a warm temperature here , other berry plants near the garden are budding and most of trees have done so already , Friday nights freeze tells the story to come//

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

All of the various bulbs are blooming here but forstythia still haven't opened up. Neighbor's magnolia flower buds are getting fat. Hepatica have started blooming. Should have a lot of flowering things over the next month. I am hardening off some seedlings outdoors but I do bring them in when the temps get close to the freezing mark. Had rain yesterday and this morning, it's sunny. Keeping my eye on the weather though with that cold snap coming at the end of the week.
I have wood ducks in the trees just beyond my back yard. Very bizarre to see ducks on a tree limb.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Cindy.....Been trying to post on DG for a couple of days, but my home PC and DG site don't always see eye to eye. The pic with the rocks are one of the areas I am pulling the rocks FROM and posted that pic in error. When the two systems agree, I'll post the site I'm developing.

The ducks in the trees? We have a mallard pair visiting in a new 'pond' in a drainage area from all the rain lately. But ducks in trees? Maybe that's why they call them WOOD ducks (yuk, yuk)?!

Hobart, IN

Yuk, yuk. We have a wooded wetlands behind our lot (sadly, a lot of the oaks do not like the wetland that the Army Corps of Engineers decided to make next to Turkey Creek). I had seen a couple of ducks swimming around in the wetlands but couldn't tell what type they were. These guys just fly from branch to branch, totally comfortable with that exercise. I wonder if they evacuate to the trees to avoid the raccoons or other critters (have a red fox that passes through from time to time and on rare occasions, a coyote).
Still think that your erroneous pic would be nice for a rock garden.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I probably will make one there, but first I want to find a Weeping Pussywillow to put in that area and then work around it.

Hobart, IN

Nice. Does the weeping pussy willow crave as much moisture as the regular ones?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I enjoy willows , easy to root and I kill too many plants dividing them ..Have some rooting now , not weeping though ..

Put a pot of stargazer lily in the ground last years survivor was sprouted outside so now it has company.
Planted Fava Beans since it want to stay cool weather wise .
Some of my plants seem to have wilt (Grrrrrrr)
I don't expect anything to grow anymore .. Still have plenty of some great thistle and queen anne's lace !!lol Go Weeds!!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 6:04 PM

Hobart, IN

Sorry about the wilt. Is it affecting outdoor stuff or indoor stuff? Nice though that your Stargazer has sprouted. Those have an intense perfume. I did plant peas on Thurs. Soaked them indoors and then planted them out before we got all of that rain. Beautiful clear skies but chilly today. Came home from MI this afternoon (moved a piano to DD's place) and they were 10 degrees colder with a nasty wind. Here, it's beautiful.
DD gave me some wintergreen seeds (Gaultheria procumbens) that I'm going to try to sprout. Will have to look those up to see best method.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Only a couple of the plants I have been moving back and forth , humidity difference ,temperatures when I move them , so forth , a few always seem to have that happen , makes them susceptibleto such , Stronger plants won't be bothered by that ,
Blueberries have leaves and the trees , still too cold for most things , Good luck with the peas!!! I was thinking about planting some , only since the Fava's were sprouted and ready to go and they say growing them in cool weather like peas is best , they got planted instead at least to begin with and until I decide what I am doing as far as plants to grow is concerned..
I had a couple of stargazer's from the DS a few years ago , The one still here is from then I got a couple more this time as they were growing from the bags as though saying take me!!! take me!!!! I will bloom for you!!! Besides they do seem to grow in adversity , seems to be a nice flower .. My older yellow bulb lillies seem to be returning this year , last year only one grew , never bloomed ,This year there seems to be about a dozen including a clump of them that will bloom ,, Allright!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.