WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot-- my Piano moving days are over , Is this a new or older type piano , My nephew plays ,, I almost use too!!lol
Windy and cool here also , 30 last night , 32 forecast for tonight , same as last night when it got colder ...

Alittle spring foliage for color ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Been visiting nurseries, trying to see what's available locally rather than ordering them mail order. Still too cold to plant, I think, but just got a hosta collection from White Flower Farm so think I'll put them in tomorrow to take advantage of the rains coming. Wish they waited a week or so to send them, but they should be ok.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I planted a variegated Hosta about a week ago , (from the DS ) of all places.
An old variety and not as much as some , however it works for me !
I will enjoy them is all that matters , hope you do yours as well !!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I also planted 20 Hostas yesterday - a collection of four varieties from White Flower Farm. Als bought, but have not planted, four Hydrangea Vanilla and Strawberry bushes that I got from Alsip, still at the half-price from last season's close-out. They're all with buds coming out and should be fine. Love the bloom description and they bloom through out the summer into frost. It's doesn't die back to the ground, so should develope well for the area in front of the fencing for the dog run.

Hobart, IN

The piano was a spinet and about 350 pounds. Luckily, I didn't have to lend a hand. Getting to the point where I have to pay people to move things I guess.
Good deal on the half-price hydrangeas. I find Alsip a bit on the pricey side but they do carry some things that other nurseries don't.
I haven't been doing much "fun" stuff like planting new things. Just cleaning up fall leaves and minding the seedlings and cuttings. I fear I've lost a couple of new things from last year though. So hot and dry during the summer with little snow cover over the winter. The next couple of weeks will tell I guess.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well my Yarrow as far flowers have returned . the Gallo Blanket flower has not my ice plants have not , Little worried to that as the others have returned , Agastache has not returned either.
Lupines have been sparingly returning . obvious to that is it is a cooler start to this year . Lupines of course prefer the cooler temps . Seems some plants I can grow and some I cannot .
In the garden for edible planted 2 types oh huckleberry , 3 types of Blueberry A type of cherry .
Have about five kinds of Beans going , Going to start more..
Catnip and Jerusalem artichokes are everywhere , those things could grow in swamps or the Mohave desert Have radishes , lettuce and garlic, onions , all going and growing outside cool weather goodies ,,
Well next week or shortly there after , melons and cucumbers , and away we go ...

Hobart, IN

Spent most of the day with garden-related stuff. While waiting for the dew on the grass to dry this morning (had heavy fog overnight), I planted some chard and carrot seeds in big pots and planted kale seedlings in another. Spent a few hours on fall leaf cleanup and then fertilized and mulched the rhodies (4) and azaleas (7). My bleeding heart 'King of Hearts' has not returned this year - new last year. All of the other bleeding hearts are up with flower buds. :( My experiment with growing French tarragon in the ground instead of pots was successful as they've returned this spring. The Mukdenia new last year also returned. It flowered before the leaves came out. Corydalis 'Berry Exciting' hasn't shown up though. I get kinda bummed when pricey plants don't return although I've probably mistreated them somehow.
Sowing cucumber seeds tomorrow indoors. Not sure whether to go ahead a sow the squash or wait til later to put them out to avoid squash vine borers although I didn't have any problems last year but I also didn't have any squash either. Have been lucky enough to set the tomatoes and peppers outdoors to enjoy the nice weather - at least for now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am only taking a break for a few minutes , I will start my cukes and melons in the next few days , ditto here about the tomatoes and peppers ..
STILL organizing this conglomeration ,I have well over a hundred plants to take of going for 2 hundred . Takes some doing for me .. lol

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Starting of the weeping cherry blooms. Here come the tulips. After moving in this past September, we ripped out about 3/4 of the bushes and I am currently waiting for things to come up so that I can see what we have. I found a great niche behind really poorly growing bushes that now has a buddah and soon will have ferns and shade-loving flowers surrounding it. I'll post as progress continues. I've started to relocate some things, like hostas in full sun, moving them to around tree bases.

Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu
Hobart, IN

It looks like you're going to have a parade of tulip blooms. I'm waaay to casual (can you say negligent?) for tulips. I've planted some over the years but they eventually quit blooming for me. I generally end up with one or two blooming in very strange places.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Planted a test tomato plant yesterday . I doubt it makes it , never safe until June , Pumpkin vines are growing also .,, well we will see in a while

Hobart, IN

You are brave with the tomato plant-out even though you're warmer than me. I'll be waiting a couple of more weeks before being brave.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A couple of my attempts from rooting Clematis

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Have those cuttings already rooted? I think I've tried with florist clematis once - it's more of a shrub - but can't remember if I was successful or not. If I was, I probably gave it away.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes rooted , mostly ,, and growing , I have a couple of red ones rooted also ,, just learning and trying for now ... Lot of that going on ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Congrats on clematis! I'd have more but don't have enough climbing space. I think I have 7 at the moment but one has been really struggling for a couple of years and another one - a substitute made by mail order company - has never bloomed for me although it grows very well. Perhaps it needs a new location but am at a loss where to put it without having to take out some other climber.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the complement , That is a lot of Clematis , are they hybrids? , do have a particular favorite(s)? Everyone seems to favor the blue to extreme .. They are a nice plant they are right though ,aren't they?
I think I have put up stake poles and planted beans to the extreme of terrorism ..lol

Hobart, IN

I think 'Jackmanii' is one of my favorites but I also like the smaller ones like the C. integrifolia and viticella as well. Those I let climb with other types of vines since they're a little more delicate.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

'Guernsey Cream' is my favorite.

Hobart, IN

Had to google 'GC' - it's a beaut!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes those are nice Clematis ...
Tonight's refugees ,, okay kids ,, time to come in !! As posted on a thread or two .. the second pix goes around the corner ,, with at least as many ,,
As you can see in the first pix . this even got to the kitchen sink ,.. A roomful anyway .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Planted runner beans today and got a nice surprise in one flower bed , The Firebird Agastache have returned I thought they rotted away ..One sprig and another a real tiny sprout .. I enjoyed the surprise of their return !!
Still lost all my ice plants and Gallo blanket flower .. Although the Burgundy Blanket flowers are everywhere ..Even my Grandiflora did not return though , how strange is that?

Hobart, IN

I'm not good with sun-loving plants but perhaps the sites favor one plant over the other?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Previous is likely . we all have it happen don't we ..
Blooming today ,, A Tomato plant .. and Away we go!!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I should of added that when I lose the plant to frost in two weeks , you can all giggle and growl with me ..crazy weather ...

Hobart, IN

I don't see any frost in my extended forecast although it might get into the low 40's next weekend. Now I'm wondering if I should plant my tomatoes this afternoon. What a dilemma. I did buy a couple of tomato plants at the nursery last week and they have flowers but I'm not expecting any pollination yet because the bees can't get to them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308955/ You might like some of this thread ,
Plants are keeping me busy.. I just like taking chances , I guess lol

Hobart, IN

Do you mean the bits about tomato pollination, bee colony collapse or laptops? :) DD in MI is awaiting arrival of her bees next week. She's got the hive constructed and ready to go.
Planted a few tomatoes yesterday - 'Riesentraube'. 'Black Krim' (giving it a second chance) and 'Mortgage Lifter' (bought at a nursery). Have room for one more in a large pot and can't decide between 'Wisconsin 55' and 'Velvet Queen'. Will have to do some research I guess to pick the winner. Also got one each of 6 different peppers planted - banana, cayenne, habanero, jalapeno, serano and a hot, little ornamental pepper called 'Aurora'. DH wants to experiment with making spicy salsa this summer. He kind of likes dabbling in specialty food items - brews beer, cures/smokes bacon, bakes bread - so now some salsa. If we had more space for a bigger vegetable garden, he'd love to dabble in growing as well. Haven't planted out the cucumbers or squash yet until I can see if we're really going to have a cool spell next week. Peas are finally taking off and starting to climb. They've been in the ground a month but I think the drier weather has slowed them up.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am sitting here having dinner ,, good thing because your convo' is making me hunger all the more ..
Love recipies and eating all the things mentioned ((when their food) but I am not much in the kitchen ,(it happens)
I was talking to you about pollination of Tomato blooms , What folks were saying , wind, shaking the plant , bees ,, so forth . about how the blooms pollinate or do not .. (only thought you might like reading a few of those )
I am thinking (maybe) it may be okay to keep planting and setting out here . just last evening I starting germinating my cucumbers .
A bush variety , and a couple of heirloom types ,,
Trying to avoid last years fiasco , I talked with you and some others about it then , Lettuce Borage are all looking nice , Tomatoes are slow to start , I passed by the Mortgage Lifter , May try next year , My Romanesco is the largest plant so far ,Early started tomato plants got a little skinny with light difficulty and I lost one Farmstead tomato plant to the cold . all else is looking up and forward to a brighter season .

Hobart, IN

Watch your weather next weekend. I checked Accuweather this morning and it's supposed to get down to 39 next weekend. I'll have to make plans to cover my babies if the forecast holds true.
As for the tomato pollination, I grew 3 in my little greenhouse two summers ago, trying to expand garden space. They grew very tall (they are vines after all) but the heat in there didn't do them much good. I would hand pollinate by tapping the flowers or using a brush. The heat and protected space also encouraged spider mites which were just about impossible to totally eradicate.
The way this conversation is going is making me hungry for a BLT!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The weather keeps changing for next weekend ,, I will agree though the last week of May always throws a looper ,-blooper at me as far as the garden.(weather wise) parentheses ,, no such thing ...
White flies now and then and spider mites do seem difficult when it comes to indoor type growing ,, always something .

I am glad the flowers and greens are doing well so far , Had over a dozen cucumbers that germinated very quickly and I had to run them out to the garden and plant them ,, overwhelmed myself with little plants ..
Planted a
Black Krim
Black Cherry
Mammoth wonder
and another that skips my mind at this moment .. About 16 Tomato plants in the garden (not sure) I am hoping for decent weather and I am sure you are doing the same .. Lot of chore gone in minutes to the weather the past couple of seasons.

Could just be setting myself up for loss , and I hope not ,, out of seeds of some of these . That reminds me , the Brandywine yellow tomato seeds I planted back in February , One of them sprouted next to one of my pepper plants last night , just think , only three months to sprout ...quick time !!!!lol

Hobart, IN

3 months for a tomato seed to germinate? I don't think I'm that patient. :)
At the rate the oak tree flowers are falling this week, I think we're in for a bumper crop of acorns this fall. Ugh. My green lawn has now turned brown they're so thick.
Friday night now looks to be about 42. Better than the 39 predicted a couple of days ago.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some plants in the garden ,, mulching in progress .(when is it not ?) I am really happy with pic 4&5 ..oh yeah!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

And more plants

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

and more tomato plants , All these are different plants and varieties .. a lot for me , not usually this many

Hobart, IN

The first tomato of the season! All your patience over the winter has paid off!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We'll see .. that 42 tomorrow I could lose that tomato ,, no covers where it is at .. That aggravates my wit's

Hobart, IN

I have 3 tomatoes in the ground with cages around them so I'm planning on draping old bath towels over the cages to hopefully protect the tomatoes. Since the tomatoes aren't even a foot high yet, they're low enough to the ground and somewhat sheltered so maybe the warmth (?) from the soil will help insulate them. Of course! This was the year I decided not to wait until Memorial Day to plant. Cold, windy and rainy here today. I'm doomed to stay indoors and wash all of the plant pots and trays.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

juhur....... 42 will hurt the tomatoes? Didn't think that you would need to worry unless there was frost (which is also possibly forcasted, but normern areas from Chicago, I think).

Been planting perennials for a few weeks now. Covered certain ones with buckets last week when they said possible frost, but all did OK. Been planting and moving stuff this first season in the house.

This message was edited May 23, 2013 10:48 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It shouldn't , Last time though , burned leaves at mid 40's , These plants do not like cold , I don't know what is different about them from years past , Something is though .
I have grown tomatoes down to 28 degrees . so their leaves burning at the 40 degree temperatures seems rather strange to me also ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.