WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Hobart, IN

Tomatoes are touchy below 50. A night or two is ok but 40? I'd rather be safe than sorry with the babies.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These I have for replacements and will be in tonight at least , we will see what tomorrow brings ,, Yosemite Sam comment ,,,lol very little lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

I did cover some tender things last night with big old bath towels and clothespins and have already done the same for tonight. The tomato cages make great supports for the towels. Also had to cover up blue sky vine and a few other tropicals out on the patio. Sure hope tonight is the last of the cold. A lower branch on my 'Riesentraube' tomato in a pot looks a little wilty. Not sure if the cold got to it last night under the edge of the towel or not.
Good thing you have some replacements, juhur. I do have one still unplanted but it's a different variety. How cold is it supposed to get at your place?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was reading through a thread when you posted this ,,41 degrees for tonight , last nights 42 resulted in 44 to 46 degrees , as to where you where locally .
One casualty , a plant that was not doing well to begin with ,house plants are in tonight , Accidentally left a spider plant on the front porch last night , no damage to the plant though ,, (Whew) .
Not to take chances with the house plants ...

Bean beetles have began to appear here , the cold might slow them down . maybe? I will get to them in a few days ...

I forgot . The paste type tomato plants increased a third in stem size . and grew , they liked the cool boost evidently

This message was edited May 24, 2013 7:53 PM

Hobart, IN

I didn't cover my tray of coleus, left out on the back patio up against the house, and a few of the top leaves look like it was a little too cold for their liking. Supposed to get down to 45 tonight according to Accuweather. Didn't get any break in the clouds today and we may get some rain momentarily.
I managed to get out today to re-edge the back beds and pull weeds. Still have a few more hours of that to do (if my back holds out) and then I can start planting the annuals. Yippee!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It has been a cloud covered cold day here all day , Raining now , I came in after potting a few more Clematis ,,
Most of the vegetable plants will probably like the rain with the cold . I find it uncomfortable myself .. lol
I have a few marigolds and zinnia planted around the place , Oh yes and red Amaranth ..

Yes indeed,, time for Advil or Aleve, Good luck with Coleus and annuals

Hobart, IN

I actually got a chance to plant some annuals yesterday morning. Not nearly enough time but it was a start. Cool and rainy again today and I think you and I are due for some thunderstorms tomorrow. Also saw a warning about possibly severe weather coming Friday. I was hoping the peas would take off but I don't think they cared for the hot weather last week but they are liking this cooler, wetter stuff and are finally vining. I know my lawn is loving it too as it's still recovering from last summer's nasty weather.
Rhodies have been blooming for a week now as well as Weigela and Deutzia. Roses have buds but I think they're a week away from opening up. Columbine are all blooming. Hoping with the warmer temps this week that the tomatoes and peppers will start to grow as well.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I didn't many flowers at that time in that catagory ..

I long time back I was talking about super bolooming tomatoes that bloomed straight from the stem trunk ,
I use to have a Supermarket Marglobe that produced super quantity with quality
Well here is what I was talking about , blooming from the trunk , this a Romanesco here's the pic

Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Whoa - that tomato bloom is different. Does a resulting tomato grow any differently than if it were on a branch?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Not really . or last time . I grew 14,000 tomatoes on 4 or five plants in 1974 with supermarket Marglobe that had the blooms like that
Remember last year when the "how my grandfather grew triple the usual produce " The tape that was being advertised , then I was talking here about the difference of the tomato plant blooms , that I remembered the plants bloomed different to do that then ,,
There were several you could manipulate to that type bloom in that previous pic . I haven't seen this type bloom since back then .
I knew they were somewhere in all the type of tomato plants ,,lol
When you get a small type cherry to that , the tomatoes are incredible , strong and beautiful ,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Check this out .. a sugar lump , bloom set on trunk stem , bloom set on leaf stem .. pics are not that good . might try again ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These a little clearer . Main stem of this plant is not much larger than the side branching ... still there are possibilities..

Pic 1 main trunk or stem
Pic 2 the leaf with buds

Hobart, IN

I'm still a novice when it comes to growing tomatoes. It will be interesting to watch your tomato development with those types of flowering.
I'm growing 'Mortgage Lifter' for the first time and the leaves on it sure look different - broader, heftier - that my minimal experience is used to. Guess the plant will have to be heftier to support those large tomatoes that I'm "supposed" to get on that plant.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is Potato leaf variety , Standard leaf , or Jungle leaf Tomatoes ..
My Belle Starr paste and Romanesco Pantano seem to be growing the best
Both an easy paste tomato , that brings to light , I am not that good and at that many of them ..(might be because I define to individual plants to much) They look pretty good , and the Broad Ripple Currant made lots of volunteer plants from last year , About two weeks of them sprouting here and there
Would you say your Mortgage lifter is the potato or standard leaf.
Cucumbers are going ,,only off to a slow start .
Well back to sweating and mulching it's kinda hot today ,, sunny ..

Hobart, IN

Interesting comments about potato-leaf varieties. Had to look it up as I didn't know there were different types of leaves. Thanks for inspiring me to look it up. I'd say that 'ML' is a cross between the two leaf varieties, leaning closer to the potato leaf variety.
My cucumber starts got a little set back with the cold nights a couple of weeks ago. I had started them indoors but am wondering if I should just direct sow a few seeds as insurance.
Peas are flowering and it seems late but they had a little trouble getting started this year.
I have mulching material (last year's shredded leaves) ready but haven't started yet. Hoping to at least mulch the veggies this week.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I can't say about the cucumbers , mine always get ate or something happens when I direct so , my restarts are doing well though and this and part of next week is all the time I have left to plant .
I know Cherokee purple,& Brandywine yellow are potato leaf varieties of tomato .I do not do well with them on average .
My Black cherry a jungle leaf burned at those 40 degree temperatures earlier , should not of happened, it is alive only not looking good now .
Another week or so and the Pantano is going to be 5 ft. tall growing real well .
All the others are slow and "iffy" looking as of now .
I learned (more like read) the information about blooms, leaf , bud manipulating . in the early 70's from Organic Gardening ,, that was and still is some "great "stuff" if you enjoy it..

Hobart, IN

You mentioned "Organic Gardening" - I listen to Mike McGrath regularly on podcasts and he's written a couple of books on growing tomatoes. I think he was also an editor for "OG" at one time. He did mention recently that some heirloom tomatoes tend to get much taller and it's hard to support them.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry all, been away a bit but caught up on the threads.
I am so sorry to hear abut Helene. She was a lovely woman and I have some wonderful pieces from her that will stay with me in my blankets.

Pat.... hope Ben is doing better. This too shall pass. Good luck on the move and congrats on the new job. Two houses ago, I had two weeks before Christmas to pack up the house by myself and move. That's the time frame that the buyers wanted so that they could get in before the new year. No time off from work. No one to help pack. Some quick decissions on things that I didn't need to hold onto any longer. It CAN be done.

Hope everyone else is healing, having fun and, above all, surviving the natural disasters (tornados, Tropical storms, etc.) that are happening around us.

I've been spending most of the last few weekends in the garden. I laid out four palettes of landscapoing blocks, moved some bushes and a good many hostas, took inventory on what I have inherited in the previous owners' landscaping and either got rid of, moved or am working around that. I found a local nursery of my dreams that has a great deal of the things that I see in Bluestone Perennials and other catalogues. I've spent over an hour there each time I've gone and have only been through the perennials and some of the shrub/tree areas. Haven't stepped into the annual or garden art /landscape area. When it gets too hot to work outside, hopefully, all will be done that I wish to for the summer and I will get back into the sewing room.

Wish everyone a great next few weeks and will be trying to keep checked in on DG. But the pull to the yard is too tempting in our new habitat. And it takes me time to explain to my SO why that bush can't stay there when he thinks it's perfectly fine the way it is...... LOL.

STU

Hobart, IN

Stu - you need to share the name of the nursery of your dreams! I'm salivating.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

It's Sunrise Nursery -- Woldhuis Farms. IN 2 turns into 17 in IL and you make a left at 9200 Ave. (or St.)

http://www.woldhuisfarms.com/

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry.. The first of the posts was placed in the wrong forum.

Hobart, IN

Stu - I go at least once a year to Sunrise. They have tons of plants and pots and trees. I could easily spend at least half a day and a fortune there but the truck can only hold so much. Nice thing about them is that they're open well into the fall, unlike some other nurseries that really only sell mostly annuals until they're inventory is gone. Sunrise does stay pretty current on plant varieties too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That one's a little far away for me or I would be there . Picked my first tomato today , Not much doing besides that , Deciding where next years flowers will go . I have a rue plant , a coccineum mum, feverfew, fleabane , korean mint . I have to decide where these will go . peppermint and chocolate mint are in ,. I don't think I will like the chocolate mint , it's little leaves taste like drinking a bottle of perfume to me ,, blah .
My little firebird agastache are still trying , sad looking though.. as far as size .. oh well keep on trying , seems I always am ..
Oh yeah my daylily crosses from seed , still contemplating where they will go ..
Have early huckleberries starting to ripen ,cool ...

Hobart, IN

Be careful with that rue plant - it can cause some skin issues for some people.
I had thought agastache was a little tougher but I lost a small one as well - maybe it didn't like being in a pot though.
Huckleberries - how are your seed-started plants doing?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have about 51-20 plants in the garden , leaves get bug chewed some, a few on the drive still in pots , they pot dwarfed or something didn't grow right anyway .
Plants in the garden are the ones I started from seed , first berries in a few days to about a week , I still have to learn to tell when they are completely ripe .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GREEN Tomatoes

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The Huckleberries no harvest yet , getting close ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Whoa - nice crop of tomatoes! I've got some small fruits on my plants but not as bountiful as yours. The tomato flowers on a couple of my plants are huge this year and the plants themselves are a lot stronger than last year. Hard to tell why since the weather is sooooo different, we've had adequate rain and I'm using a different fertilizer and mulching. What are you going to do with your huckleberry fruits? Jam?
Remember when we were chatting about JBs last year and how it would be nice to entice some of the wild birds to go after them? I have a sparrow who stops by my porcelain berry vine (the primary plant the JBs go for) which grows on a large trellis. Don't see any nesting materials and the bird is only there for a moment or two but it rustles around in the foliage as if looking for something. Could I be that lucky??? The JBs don't seem as bad as last year but it hasn't been as hot. I know they like flying around in the sun when it's warm so maybe our rainy days have minimized their population.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

So far the cooler weather is nice as far as that !!! beetles , grasshoppers , and such , much fewer .. it helps !! Came back to say it makes since that Japanese sparrows would like Japanese Beetles . Always hoping !
That's a belle starr paste tomato in the pic , old time semi dwarf ..

I don't know if I even like the tomatoes or the huckleberries yet .. we will decide what to do then . That is one tomato plant in the pic . and there are a couple of them in the garden ,, hoping for lots of tomatoes .. juice, ketchup, sauce..
Most of this year it's been lettuce , nettle , and mint tea from the garden ..
Most of the beans I will save for seed , had some bean salad the other night though , with beans from the garden ..

This message was edited Jul 2, 2013 10:33 PM

Hobart, IN

What kind of beans are you growing?
My snow peas took a beating in the storms last week. Even though they're on trellises, the rain bent the main stems. Happily though the peas keep on growing and producing. I did lose the top of a clematis for the same reason, flower buds and all, since the stems were just kinked too much. Tomatoes are happy with the rain but I doubt there's much pollination going on with the damp, drizzly weather.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Let's see
#4&5 Kentucky wonder green bean
1&2 Red runner bean
#3 Speckled lima There is a bush bean romanesco and windsor bush bean also in the garden

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some other tomato plants and cucumbers .

Hobart, IN

Can you eat the red runner beans? What is the flavor like?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Whoops where went the pics ?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Ach! Cucumbers - my two transplants didn't like that cold spring we had and only one is barely limping along. I did direct sow some seed but nothing's popped up yet. And I had good luck last year. Might have to break down and go buy a plant at the local garden center.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I haven't tried as of yet ,, wondering enough ,, that I am hesitating about that .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My neighbors two cucumber plants are huge and setting ,, mine look tiny in comparison. But I have been eating the little yellow tomatoes..
Everything is what it is ..

The cucumbers in the above are blonde cucumbers I believe . the white wonders died , I do have some spacemaster and lemon growing . and a little indian heirloom cucumber plant is still alive .

Hobart, IN

You're eating tomatoes already??? Been out of town for a couple of days and hoping to pick up a rosemary plant as well as some cucumbers (if still available).
Came home to around 50 JBs on my porcelain berry vine. I think they waited until I went out of town to invade in larger numbers.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Only the little yellow ones as first pic two posts above yours .Only about half a dozen so far ,,
Hope for your berry vine , killed two JB's last week and saw a stink bug this morning as it started raining ..
Lots of purple plums for the first time in five or six years , and two giant red plums from the tree way in the back . a first for either .. a long wait ..
Most of the it has been red beetles on the milkweed , and much earlier I saw one and only one cucumber beetle .. man those things ..
Something chewed through the Larkspur and California poppy stems , they are both still alive , and that's about all they they are . Centarurea Cornflower looks allright ... My melons are about a waste so far , nothing new there , one small cucumber has set on one of the vines , I 'll be darned if I know which one yet though. marker destroyed by rain , and my memory we aren't going discuss here (neither do you want to ) lol
a centaurea a romanesco tomato , huckleberries taking their time to ripen

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

I like that cornflower!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.