It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

bug identification!

We found this small bug in our bed sheets tonight. My wife has been getting bites in the night recently although I am uncertain it is this bug causing it. Can anyone identify what this bug is?

I looked at pictures of bed bugs but it didn't quite look like any of the pictures. It does have little black eyes at the front and a little sharp horn at the back. I have attached pictures of the bug.

We regularly clean and have clean sheets on the bed

Cheers,

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisj19 Thumbnail by chrisj19
Minot, ND

Probably not a bed bug, but image not clear enough for an i.d. - It is very difficult to determine the cause of bites unless you can actually see/catch something in the act of biting.

Prob not much better but is the best close up photo I took. You can see the black eyes at the right of pic and little horn atthe left.

Thumbnail by chrisj19
Minot, ND

Appears to be a small (and harmless) beetle; can't tell much else...

Thanks, not sure if harmless given the little horn or stinger on the back and the bites?
It also has little eyes that make it look like a fish, although I can't tell whether these are false eyes on its shell or its real eyes.
Cheers,
Chris

Murphysboro, IL(Zone 6b)

I can't tell much from the photos, but I'm suspecting the "horn" is actually on the head end of the insect, and the "eyes" are markings, not eyes. I would definitely take it in to your local extension office and find out what it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.