Money Matters - Part 15

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Watch for Europe to rear its ugly head again.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 12:25 PM

Wow - WSJ reports 57% of Americans have less than $25K in savings/investments not incl their house! They will be working until they die.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i find that hard to believe

It's shocking.

Also, an alarming number of people have been raiding their 401(k) to pay bills. Awful.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you mentioned that earlier - it is not anyone i know, i wonder what they consider an alarming number.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't find that shocking at all... remember, I live in the Poor South.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Congress taking action on jobs reports
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4660418877211&set=vb.213225545490871&type=2&theater

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Cute! Wish I had snapshots for all my triplets' antics. I was too busy chasing them.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Lol, I am sure you were. It was hard enough with twins.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

1 of our earliest customers had gone out of business, finally got a check today from the bankruptcy court for our claim after 3 years..... a whole whopping $70!!!! Woo hee!!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Is that a normal time period for such matters? I'm assuming that is only a percentage of your claim.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ya only 3.43% of the claim....court system is very sssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwww

How nice Jen (not). Rest assured the legal system made THEIR money off it! Maybe one of the lawyers can now hire you guys for a heat pump!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Received a notice today from IRS dated 4/22...hmmmmmm, isn't it only the 15th?

wha???
See if its from last year, --, another nearly confounding possibility.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

YIKES, hope it wasn't last year!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jen, I received one of those, too, but since a response from me is due by "30 days from the date of this notice" I figure it's all good and gives me more time!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee, coleup.

NPR had the author of Overdressed on Fresh Air today
http://www.amazon.com/Overdressed-Shockingly-High-Cheap-Fashion/dp/1591844614

Really interesting/---- subtitle The shockingly high cost of cheap clothing.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I want to read her book.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Would love to read it, since I was in that industry

You can get the streaming audio of interview-- it was very interesting. "Fast fashion" analogous to fast food.
Bangladesh clothing workers paid $38 a month, CHina $200 ( source of data I don't know) A MONTH.
Americans buy approx 68 pieces of clothing a year. (not me!)

Jen- why is that commercial on that says "You all know JCPenney changed recently...We listened to you and are changing (back?)" Huh? meaning a year or two ago when they cleared out and became more clean looking, simple pricing? Any insight on the JCP situation which seems to have passed under my radar...?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

68 pieces of clothes. Hence the need for room-size closets. Not me either. Even when I get things for the grandies I don't reach that. I get the grandies things at a resale event sponsored by the school where I used to teach.

The JCP stuff is news to me, also.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The CEO that just got canned went in and changed the way their pricing worked, making changes without really having an idea what people want.

People want what is called "perceived value"
something can be $100 but if it's on sale from $120 they think they are getting a bargain even though the same exact item is in another store at $75 but since it never goes on sale they won't buy it cause they don't think they are getting a deal

I actually had that happen to me.... we had toddler dress up sets $16.99 special value they never went on sale, had it on hold for a lady while she went into the mall to see if she found something "better" well she bought the SAME thing( I mean it was IDENTICAL) at Lord and Taylor for $39.99 but since she got it on sale, it was originally $50 she thought was getting a bargain....I was confused....ummmm"but you paid $40 for something you could have gotten for $17", I said to her, her reply "but I got it on sale!!!"

So anyway the last CEO went in and lowered the prices and wasn't running any true sales, so no one thought they were getting a deal.

BUT the problem the JCP started years ago when they started hiring people from outside the company that really had no clue how the company worked...AND there was a big boycott by Million Moms over some advertising....yes boycotts do work even though some companies don't want to admit it

THanks!
I have noticed things are 'on sale' at JCP now where last year ? they had tried that 'plain price' idea.
Now if only 'people' could be more intelligent.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Course the prices at A&F were already seriously overpriced from the beginning. It's the teenage clothing market that seems especially problematic. These have to be throw away styles and kids don't have lots of money to spend.

the debate about Boston victim donation money is utterly macabre.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm glad I'm only reading the headlines, then. The attorney is handling it pro bono. He also distributed funds from 911. It is a totally thankless job for him.

It is nearly impossible to go to a store without having the option to add a donation. And the fund it growing. And the benefit events are continuing. Seems there ought to be enough money to go around.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

"Gov. Chris Christie declared the season open by cutting a 5.5-mile long ribbon"
wonder how much a 5 1/2 mile long ribbon cost? was it donated? or did the relief funds pay for it? really was THAT necessary?

received a Company store catalog, their beach towels are $32...Really? does anyone buy them?

I'd never buy a 32 dollar towel. THen again, they have to start there so they can go on sale, right?.
Treated ourselves to some fast fashion today. Liz Claiborne print Tshirt, Penney's, on sale, 10.49. Capris, Eddie Bauer, clearance, 10. Knit shirt, henly, ribbed, Eddie B, 4.99 clearance. Nike beefed up flip flops to replace the ones puppy gnawed on but still using, 20$. (Dog is now turning six years old this summer. I think I got my money's worth out o those) Passed by metric tons of fashion 'candy'= tissue thin thsirts and tanks in every color and print imaginable, everybody selling cardigans ( cause you freeze in the thin shirts)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah what is with the tissue shirts?

I do NOT like them. But I'm guessing the concept is XXX ++ number of individual items to sell per given ton freight from CHina.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

yep you're probably right

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Since we're talking about sales, the Premium Outlets in MA, probably everywhere, have a Memorial Day sale. You get discounts for AAA membership, plus the coupons, plus the advertized half off discount prices= good savings. I was near one because my horrible work schedule meant I ended the day 70 miles from home. The fact the sales started Friday night was the silver lining, since noone was there on a rainy Friday night. I bought hefty cotton T's for the men here and for me at Eddie Bauer. Some discontinued colors were under four dollars with the sale. The handbag stores seemed especially inviting.

We have an enclosed mall, built about thirty years ago, with four large department stores, theater, and all the small stores. Half the space is empty as we got a bigger better mall not too far away. This 'old' mall may close completely. Only thirty years old- huge space that will be empty, huge paved lots...so sad about the loss of open space and waste.

Disturbing report today that 3/4 Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

or...government check to government check...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Some, but not all, of these folks are not living within their means.

We're getting an energy audit today. Signed up at the chamber of commerce street fair. They are free. The repairs and changes if we do do them won't be.

Goodie- maybe you'll have hints for us.
That reminds me, we're currently enjoying our discount for a program in which the utility can cycle our AC compressor off in case of a power emergency.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.