Off topic, cat concern

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I live in a rural area, and keep food for my cats outdoors during the day. As a result, I have several feral cats I've grown to love, even though they won't allow me to get close enough to touch them. I'm very concerned about 1 sweet little female who has this fresh wound on her back. She has a similar wound underneath her chin, but it's not as deep. Does anyone know what would cause such a wound? I've tried to trap her, but with 15 cats it's impossible. I worry that she's suffering, and it's breaking my heart. Also, I don't want her euthanized. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by donnacreation
(Zone 9a)

Poor kitty, it looks like she got into a fight with another cat and came out on the losing end. We lost a cat that way and it was very sad. It also might have been a raccoon or some other wild animal she tackled with. In either case it is serious. Good luck, I know you are heartbroken.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

You might have to put her down anyway. Have there been any reports of rabies in your area at all?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

No reports of rabies, and her behavior hasn't changed. The wound appears to be healing. I think word's out that I'm a sucker for cats, because I'm having socialized, cats showing up to eat. It's heart wrenching, but I must take the socialized cats to the ASPCA. Simply can't afford vet care for 15+ cats. I fear they won't get adopted, because they're fully grown. I've contacted a couple no kill shelters, but they're all full. What a shame that beautiful, loving cats are routinely euthanized.

(Zone 9a)

We have a trap neuter and release program in our community. So far it is working very well, we have fewer and fewer feral kittens now. There are feeding stations with traps and volunteers check these traps daily. All neutered cats have the notched ears so they know immediately who has been fixed and who hasn't. There are local vets who volunteer or give reduced fees for their services and there always seems to be some organization having a free clinic to do the neutering.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a smart, humane approach, ardesia. Yet another reason I wish I were in Beaufort County.-)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We have the same program around here. It does work great.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

When we lived in Kentucky, our cat Oreo, who was indoor-outdoor cat, showed up with a wound. The vet treated it and it healed. A month or so later, a similar wound in almost the same spot. The vet told us that he was probably fighting the same cat, who was probably a lefty who got Oreo with his same left swing. I didn't realize that cats had the unique ability to have a swing and a punch particular to them, but anyway that's what happened to Oreo. I hope your stray kitty heals and that her wound doesn't reappear.

Entlie

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Some of my cats are aggressive, Entlie, and are likely responsible for the wounds. Plan to call a couple no kill shelters tomorrow and beg for help.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I received info in the mail today that Greenwood, SC shelter is promoting a trap, neuter, release program.

We are being invited to donate monthly, automatically, through one of the local banks. Sounds like a great effort.

Greenwood has done a great job finding homes for many kitties. I have adopted 2 prized pets (both older) through them. Both cats were completely ready (spayed, neutered, and microchip-ed); they asked an adoption fee of just $15.

Not yet no-kill facility but headed there!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 12:28 AM

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Definitely a big step in the right direction!

Johns Island, SC

I agree with Ardesia, Donnacreation, it looks exactly like a typical wound from a cat fight. But just to confirm, I asked my wife to take a look at the picture. She agreed, it looks like a typical cat-fight wound. Not good, but not life-threatening if it could be treated normally. Obviously, it can't be treated "normally" in the case where you're dealing with a feral cat. We know...we've got 2 of them under our "care" at the moment. But cats are remarkable critters, and can recover from bizarre injuries rather quicky. My bet is, she'll recover all by her ownself if she doesn't suffer further insult, as long as she has up-to-date shots, etc., which cannot always be the case with feral cats...Been there, done that...

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your and your wife's confirmation, Stono. Cats certainly are remarkable creatures and this pretty little female, Melissa, is healing nicely. She's even allowing me to walk right by her as she sits in an overgrown oleander on the way out. She also likes the canned cat food treat I give her each afternoon. I hope the trend continues - I've been wanting to hold and nurture her since was a little thing. I'm at my wit's end. The no kill shelters are full, as they always seem to be. I have an average of 4-5 cats a year added to my feline population, and it's becoming financially and emotionally exhausting. I definitely have some tough decisions to make.

Johns Island, SC

Cats ARE "remarkeable crtitters", donnacreation! But not everybody thinks so. Somebody dumped two kittens off at a boat club we belong to a couple of years ago. One was totally friendly...we named her "sweet". The other was totally feral, and we dubbed her "sour". About two years ago. We fed them both every day for about a year, then Sour disappeared. Never saw her for 3 months. Kept feeding
"Sweet" at the Boat Club (got them all their shots/neutered), before "sour" disappeared---that was NOT fun!). "Sweet" still lives at the Boat Club, and we still feed her every day. And she's there EVERY day, waiting to be fed. And petted.Just a sweet kitty. "Sour" just disappeared into the ether, so we wrote her off. Then, about 4 months ago, guess who showed up in our backyard? Right! It was Sour. (We live about a mile from the Boat Club). So we started feeding her. And she, in typical cat fashion, now EXPECTS it. Still not what I'd consider a "friendly" cat...although my wife can pet her now... My take is 'WHY BOTHER?"...(but I KNOW the answer to that one...!).

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I certainly get the "Why Bother?", Stono. Kudos to you and your wife for caring for those helpless kittens. I've had cats disappear for several months, too, and then return. I've also had cats disappear and never return, and it's always a heartbreak. Sweet and Sour are 2 lucky felines - hope you all enjoy each other for many yrs.
I have a pregnant female who showed up 3 - 4 mos ago. Will have to drop her off at the Sumter SPCA, where I've been assured she will be spayed and kept indefinitely for adoption. She's a very affectionate long hair cat, and I've been assured she won't be killed. Of course, lol, the assurance involves contacting me so I can re-adopt her in case she doesn't find a home within 6-8 mos.

Johns Island, SC

Yeah, donnacreation, I could understand it if Sour had ever been to our house before, but she hadn't. Plus, she didn't like humans, even the ones who fed her every day. She didn't mind eating the food they provided, but she wanted/expected nothing more than that. Touching her was a clear "No-No"...(catching her for the shots/neutering "experience" was something they would treasure on you tube if I were of that age!). But somehow, two months after she disappeared from the Boat Club, there she was in our backyard. Demanding food and water. Tapping her little kittie-paw like "what took you @&$*&'s so long to get it?..."I'm right here now, so feed me. And make it "Salmon Delight", fresh water on the side, and be quick about it!" Cats are a breed unto themselves!!! Have no idea about why I like them...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So glad to hear she is healing. You are a saint. Thanks for all you do for the animals. Take heart! :)

A.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

The world needs more cat lovers and fewer cats. lol! The pregnant female had her litter of kittens last week, before I could get her to the shelter. 4 beautiful fat babies! I moved them on my backporch this morning so they're safe, warm and dry. The mommie is a sweetheart and very proud of her little ones. I've decided to keep her and 1 kitten - the others will be easily adoptable at the spca shelter. I also found out there is a trap and release program in Sumter County. They sure need to visit my neck of the woods.

Thanks, Amanda. I'm just doing what I feel compelled to do, and I'm sure you would do the same.-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hA HA HA A - you have no idea. ;)

xox
A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wondering how your cats are faring? We are down to four. But the cat sitting/house sitting continues and our numbers of cats and dogs both go up and down as friends ask me to care for theirs as they travel for summer.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for inquiring, Amanda. I currently have (gulp)15 kittens. I'm taking 3 to the shelter this morning. Other kittens born to unsocialized cats are skittish and I'm afraid they won't be adoptable. The situation is totally out of control. I'm going to beg for help/advice at the spca this morning. I need my adult population reduced to no more than 10. Stay tuned......

This message was edited Jun 3, 2013 6:45 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm. Sounds like you need a fairy godmother.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.