Need Kitty advice

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I adopted a 1 1/2 yr old pure black kitty from the local shelter,they did tell me that she had conjuctivitis, I took her to my vet 2 days later and my poor little Kit has issues, he believes she is blind in the right eye because of ulcers on the cornea? He gave me drops for the eyes, he informed me she has the herpes virus and a few days later her poop came back positive for Giardia, so she is on Metronidazole Suspension #0.5 for 8 days, and she needs to take L-Lysine 250mg for the rest of her life, I need some advice, in the less than 2 weeks I've had her all I have done is put nasty drugs into her and she hates me, she runs most of the time I come need her,she was on to me within one taste of the drops and crushed up pills, Please does anyone have tips for me, oh and she wont eat any kind of treat, wont eat boiled chicken, tuna fish, canned food, I even tried evaporated milk, this poor cat doesnt know anything but dry food. Thanks Christine & Kit

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry I can not help but others will be along soon

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you for adopting a black cat - they are the least likely to get out of the shelter alive.

I buy my lysine either in gelatin capsules so I can open them and sprinkle on the food, or I just ordered a jug of powder and it will just be a pinch that way. I've been through the Giardia treatment with my cats and it will be over soon. I'm thinking that the drops taste awful!

Have you tried raw chicken liver or chicken heart? They are both pretty hard to resist at my house! Canned sardines are really stinky - just try for the plain ones without added spices.

When Kit gets settled in and her stress level is lower and you get lysine into her on a regular basis, the conjunctivitis will probably go away. The ulcers on the eye should clear up and the sight might come back. Then she might be more open to a change of diet to something better for her than dry food. But for now, any food is better than no food.

I am sure that Laurief will be around shortly to help you with everything and Palmbob - our resident DG Vet might come by to help out, too.

When she feels up to it - she might like to join the YaYa Sisters for catnip tea and chats.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's a shame the shelter would let such a sick cat get adopted. You would think they would screen them better.

Redwood City, CA

Bless you for taking in the poor little soul who was the most in need of someone with a big heart. As Yankeecat said, settling in will help with her appetite. I have done lots of work with feral cats
who needed medical attention and even though they disliked treatments, they ultimately really bonded with me because they knew I was trying to help them. So don't get too discouraged by her running away right now. In the long haul she'll love for for it and will remember your hard work and devotion.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Poor Kit and poor Christine! Metronidazole is the worst. Not only does it taste horrific, which is why Kit is avoiding you like the plague, but it can also cause all sorts of digestive upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, etc.). Things will get better once you're finished with that particular medication. In the meantime, just feed her whatever she's willing to eat in order to get her through the course of Metronidazole.

As far as herpes is concerned, from what I have read, almost all cats are infected with the herpesvirus. In most cats, the herpesvirus lies dormant most of the time. When a cat is stressed, however (as can certainly happen when she enters a new living environment), the herpesvirus can flare up and cause upper respiratory and/or eye infections. L-lysine inhibits the replication of the herpesvirus, making it easier for the cat's immune system to battle it back into remission. When I see herpes flare-ups in my feline family, I give 500 mg of L-lysine daily for adult cats (250 mg daily for young kittens), crushed and mixed into canned food, as long as symptoms persist. It certainly wouldn't hurt to continue to give L-lysine even after symptoms are no longer present, but I don't see any reason to do so.

There are a couple of canned foods that I have found to be particularly irresistible to my cats, even when they wouldn't eat anything else. You might buy a can of each and try them with Kit. They are Friskies Classic Paté Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Dinner and Fancy Feast Classic (paté) Salmon & Shrimp Entree. Warm them slightly in the microwave to really bring out the aroma, then mix them with enough warm water to make a thick gruel that she can lap up. If she'll eat either of those on her own, you can mix the L-lysine into that (do NOT try to mix metronidazole into food). If those foods are no-go's, you might try warmed meat baby food (check the label to make sure it contains no ingredients other than meat and water). If she won't eat any of those on her own, I have found it less objectionable to my cats, even if I have to stuff meds down their throats, if I put the med in a Pill Pocket first. The cat is less likely to try to spit out the med if it's in a Pill Pocket.

Hopefully, once you're done with Metronidazole, and its effects have left her body, she'll be more willing to consider food options other than kibble.

As far as the eye drops are concerned, well, good luck. I've had cats who were pretty good about having their eyes medicated, and I've had cats who would rather die (or kill me) than let me put anything in their eyes. I hope, for both of your sakes, that Kit falls into the former category.

Laurie

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, you have all made me feel so much better, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am going to try all your suggestions and we will find the right solution. I needed your encouragement more than you know so a big THANK YOU again. I will keep you all updated on Kit. Regards
Christine & Kit

Re: Metronidazole
My wonderful Vet sent an Rx to a local vet for me when I had to treat 4 for Giardia and I was able to get a canine powder form that I just put in the food and they ate it with not problems. And there were only 3 treatments! The reason why I had to go to a local vet was that my Vet works for a Cat only practice and they only have the liquid. I love our Vet!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

You are an angel for adopting an adult black cat, and a sick one at that. So many people will take sick adoptees right back to the shelter. You have gotten fantastic advice from the resident cat experts. So I guess my only suggestion is to have the experience end on a happier note. Is there anything that Kit especially likes? When I had to pill my most stubborn cat for 30 days, I always brushed her afterwards. That cat would endure anything for a few minutes of brushing. So after the pilling and/or eye drops, give her something that will soften her mood a bit. Hang in there. Black cats are well worth the effort. :-)

Carla

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks again for your replies, I wasnt able to get to the store today but tomorrow I will pick up some of the chicken livers & some plain canned sardines, I forgot to mention I did buy the Greenies Pill Pockets in the salmon flavor, the dog ate one, but not my Kit LOL... I'm not going to let this little 7 pounder win !!!
Christine & Kit

We like Flavor Doh at my house - the fish flavor - for hiding pills. Laurie tried the beef flavor and even her dogs wouldn't eat it and we all know that dogs are not the picky eaters that cats are. LOL! Love will conquer all with Kit.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The Pill Pockets flavor that my cats find irresistible is the allergy formula duck flavor. I've used the chicken and salmon flavors, too, but the duck is the one that gets them every time.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Don't forget to pick up a can of each of the canned cat foods that I mentioned earlier. I know they're low quality foods, but all's fair in love and medicating cats!

Laurie

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

When I took one of our cat's into the vet a year or so ago he examined the cat and then called one of his assistants over to show her what a "text book" case of symptoms looked like for the herpes virus. He told me as long as he didn't have a cough with it it wasn't a problem, hat most likely he and and our other cats have had it all their lives.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Happy Valentine's !!!!

Laurie, I wrote the brands & flavors down along with the sardines & chicken livers so I wont forget LOL, they say the mind goes first when we age :>)

Doug that is very interesting, Kit doesnt have a cough & her sneezes are alot better now than they were when she came home, it will be 2 weeks on Saturday.
Have a great day & once again we thank you
Christine & Kit

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I had to let you know how things are, I couldnt find Fancy Feast but I did get Sheba whitefish & tuna pate, so she finally ate and got 250mg of L-Lysine included in her meal !!!!! DOING A HAPPY DANCE... Now I'm wondering is it alright if I give her 500mg tomorrow since we found something she will eat for the moment LOL.. So here she is enjoying her pate.. To be continued Christine & Kate

Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yippee! Kit ate! Hopefully that wasn't a one-time success (darn cats can give us a false sense of success that way sometimes). But even once is better than none!

If it was one of my cats, I'd give 500 mg once daily in food until the symptoms resolved (no more sneezing or infected eyes).

Keep eating, Kit!

Laurie

I think the suggest dosage from PalmBob is 250mg twice a day - that is 500 for the day. Happy she is eating.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Just came across this thread. I too have a black cat that was sick and had to be medicated when I got her. 5 years later,we are best buddies. She goes for walks with me always.She hops in my lap every night. She is still picky about what she eats but so am I. LOL
Don't worry,In my experience cats don't seem to hold grudges. I have 3 other cats
Vickie

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Just a quick update, Kit is still eating, this morning she ate the whole bowl of baby food, I am so thrilled she is doing so much better than she was just 4 days ago, Thanks to all your advice,to be continued.....
Christine & Kit

Good news! She is settling in nicely. It just takes time to get used to a new environment. Please continue to send us updates. Good news is always welcome!

Peace, Plenty and Purrs,
Memory and the cats

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I feed a couple colonies of black cats, try to get them pet nipped. Not be be redundant, what a special and great person you are to have adopted that cat. Makes me feel good when I see a black cat that the no kill shelters have taken in. I so glad others have been able to help you and Kit.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the problems with your new kitty. I know that must be very difficult for you. I can't help with most of this, but I do have a little encouragement to offer. First, I would like to tell you that I, too, ended up adopting a black kitten (some 3yrs ago now). He has turned out to be one of the most loving cats I've ever known. These days it makes my heart sing just to see him coming my way (something he does often, I might add).

As to your new cat's food preferences, at her age those may not be set in stone. Ironically, for the 1st 2yrs or so of his life my black cat would not have anything to do with canned cat food of any kind, and I tried them all, nor would he touch chicken (cooked or raw) or beef or even fresh salmon or canned sardines. Like your kitty, he would only eat dry cat food - for about 2yrs. Somewhere around age 2, he started to lick the gravy/broth off a spoonful of cat food occasionally. Now at age 3 he finally loves canned cat food. He still likes his dry food but now eats a small can of cat food every few days (whenever I offer it).

As for getting food into a cat, I only had to do that once, and I think I got as much on the wall as in the cat, so my heart goes out to you there. One bit of advice that was offered to me about getting medicine into a cat involved mummying, wrapping the cat in a towel or other fabric much like swaddling a baby. It is supposed to calm them and make them easier to manage. I didn't get around to trying it myself but wanted to put it out there in case you find that you need it. If interested, you can find instructions online via google.

Glad to hear that things seem to be going well at this point. Wishing you much luck in the future. I, too, am thankful to hear that you chose to rescue this kitty.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

This is a cat site I belong to, members from all around the World and vets on here too. Try asking here http://www.thecatsite.com/f/

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you for more advice & comments and all the encouragement. Thanks for the site Keith, I will check it out. I was down your way last summer to visit friends WOW has the Island changed, I grew up in Massapequa and moved up north 20 years ago.
Christine & Kit

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Aawwwh. She is so beautiful, and she sure looks contented, happy, loved, and AT HOME. She is especially lovely photographed against the black and white bedding. Just looking at her makes me smile.

Redwood City, CA

What a beautiful girl and thanks for taking such fabulous care of her. She will repay you many times over for your devotion.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks again for your wonderful comments, I'm so in love with her, think I was from the moment our eyes met at the shelter and she nearly jumped in my arms, she definitely choose me, my plan was to adopt a senior LOL.... She's starting to feel so much better, her eyes are clearing & she isnt sneezing constantly,yesterday it was only twice YEAH !!!!!! Her personalty is starting to come out and she is funny trying to swipe the dogs bushy tail and she's playing alot more with her toys. Mine you I bought alot of toys and her favorite thing is the roll from the toilet paper, go figure... to be continued
Christine & Kit

The rings from milk bottles are also a favorite toy!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im so so glad things are going well. She is one lucky little 'girl'.

Next thing you know she will want to play dress up...or not ;-)

http://pinterest.com/pin/416090453042492796/

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

gardenglory, I think it's cute but the look on that cats face says otherwise LOL.....

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Doesnt it ever!!! Im guessng that where the NO in the title came from. I know thats the look I would have on my face if someone dressed me like that. I have to admit I loved it tho.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Nothing new to report other than Kit has now taken over the dog's couch LOL, how she was able to lay like this for a couple hours had me laughing, I kept waiting for her to slide down. to be continued
Christine & Kit

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

How can that be comfortable? Cats are truly amazing creatures!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

How cute! She is one lucky kitty. How is the medication going? She is more agreeable to it now?

Carla

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, she's done with the rancid tasting stuff that was so hard to get down her throat, the l-lysine is going well in the mush pate I give her as chef Laurie suggested and I follow it to the T, LOL, we still fight over the eye drops, but her eyes look so much better, Carla I'm the lucky one, she helped put my broken heart back together after my 14 year old kitty (J) had to be PTS This is J.. to be continued
Christine & Kit

Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom

Try the eye drops when she is very sleepy. Sometimes you can get them in before they get fully awake.

How is Kit doing? Are the eyes better?

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you for asking, she is so much better, she plays alot now , she's like a flash of black lighting LOL,,

Redwood City, CA

Great news!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.