OVRG#197 Spring around the corner???

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks!~ I'm doing absolutley nothing, so it is a good day. It's raining, which is better than snowing, and I have an afghan and a good book I'm reading. Warm and cozy ! All is good with my day!

Columbus, OH

I am off to work. I have a clicker class tonight and ONE person wants to come in tonight and not reschedule. C'mon...5" of snow? Why? Because they think it's FANTASTIC that they'll get an extra class, because I'll do class #1 again next week. The joke: After you initially pay for the class, you can repeat it as many times as you want for free. Without getting snowed in at the vet clinic. hahahaha

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Lou, Happy Birthday! You're lookin good and so is the rest of the crowd in your pictures. (If you have Windows, I think I can probably talk you thru re-orienting the photo. D-Mail me if you want to try.) I'll tell Chelle about the RU. I am not sure if they have internet at the moment.

Janet, the movie of War Horse is not so great. (It uses real horses.) The stage play is wild because it uses all sorts of puppets for animals. Some are like push toys for kids-- like a goose in one scene. And others are horses that are operated by two or three different actors (2 underneath the leather and bamboo framework and one that operates that head & eyes & mouth). The wierd thing is that you can clearly see the actors who are playing the horse, but after a little while, you just forget they're there. In other words, they seem more real that the real horses in the war horse movie. The human actors ride them, fall off of them, etc. It's set in World War I when millions of horses died, along with millions of troops and of civilians, because Kaiser WIlhelm didn't stop listening to Bismarck, the Tsar was an autocratic loner who had no idea how to govern, and now I'll stop raving.

However, if you're going to watch a movie, I'd watch Argo. Can't go wrong with that one.

Waiting on the snow. I may run out and get my shingles vaccine shot before I forget it again.

Josh called from the British Museum to crow about having seen the Rosetta Stone. I don't think he reads hieroglyphics (spelling?) but he said it was impressive.

Pat

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey all.
Bonnie, I have no tower....my computer is one of those all in one jobbies. I LOVE it! But yeah...thats what is wrong with the modem. My son said take a flashlight and peer into the slots on it...and you can see if the fan is moving. It's not. Good news is, my other son gave me his modem that he no longer needs...and its the same as mine!
Before I forget...Happy belated birthday Lou!!! I hope it was a good day for you!
Oh...and Celene, that Atom glad that you got? Did you know that is an heirloom variety..and it is very hardy? I have had them for some yrs now in my garden. They always come back and even multiply slowly. That is..if it is the same one...mine is red with white edges...smaller flowers than most gladiolas..did i spell that right?? Anyway..you might google it, and see what you find?

Columbus, OH

That is the same one, good to know it's hardy for you. I had it planned for right against a south wall, that is my "bumped up to zone 6 at least" bed.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Mine sits right out in the open...in a low spot even. I think maybe they multiply by seed...and thats why they are slow.

Columbus, OH

If you had to guesstimate how many years to flower, what would you say? The green ones that I have multiply by offsets.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

mmmmm...If you are talking about bulbs...I think the first year? If..seeds...probably 2-3 yrs. I'm not positive they multiply by seed...but they seem to come up kind of far away from the original to be bulblets. They arent way far ...but still?
Green ones?? Did you mean you have green ones that are hardy too?
Good morning everyone..got carried away here about glads.
We have bright sunshine this morning..woohooo! That alone, is enough to make a person feel better!
It is supposed to warm up more this afternoon..and then tomorrow...ohh wow...in 50s!!! I cant wait!!!
This weather almost makes it pleasant to go to the grocery today...LOL!!! I just hate loading groceries in the car in the rain or snow!
I hope you all have a wonderful day out there..whatever u do!

Columbus, OH

The green ones are hardy for me, they grow through some artemisias and do fine, but they are sited right on a sunny south wall. Looks great with artemisias and salvias.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning, sunny and bright outside. I got up at 4:30 and have spent the time inbetween now and then studying and preparing a sermon for this Sunday. Good and quiet. DH is gone to Indiana for the day, so the only noise I had was the running refrigerator and the ticking clock!

Marcy, I hate to go to the grocery anytime. Wish I had a personal shopper who would do that for me, and just bring them home and I would put them away. I get so disgusted about how many times you have to handle an item from the shelf to your pantry.

I need to balance my checkbook and some other paper chores. Should keep me busy until it is time to take a much needed nap!

Waddy, KY

Did the horrible grocery chore yesterday. Kroger and Wal-Mart. Enough to make you scream.

I'm starting to feel like that Hee-Haw song, gloom, dispair and agony on end. Last night the heater in my little greenhouse broke and the tomatoes froze AGAIN. First time we blew a breaker because we didn't plug into the right plug. I have a few of my seed left over and will be ordering more today. At this rate I won't have tomatoes until first frost! Also got an ewe that's not feeling well. She lost both her lambs and I don't think she's passed her afterbirth. We've loaded her up with Combiotic and some oxytocin to see if that will get the job done. I can't wait to see what's next. At least the sun's shining this morning.

Speaking of glads, I never lift mine. Just plant them deep. Of course I'm further south than everybody but Bonnie and that probably matters a lot but who knows.

Better get back to baking . Need to resow those tomatoes and find another heater.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

thought i would share some photo's of the garden .

Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I love the decorations!! Really like the placque! Lou

Sue, love your memory garden. I see that every holiday will bring something special.

Happy Birthday Ric. Hope you celebrate in whatever fashion you desire. Have a good day.

Waddy, KY

Yes,the plaque is really nice.

Happy Birthday to Ric too. It's always nice when you stop in here for a visit.

I'm trying to work on some of the tax figures today and not having much luck. I just don't want to be inside. The rest of the crew went to the hill farm to try to fix some fence to move cows up there. They came back last night saying that the neighbor leased the hunting rights for his farm to someone who put up an automated deer feeder within 50 ft of our line fence and the deer have absolutely demolished the fence between the two properties. He put the feeder there because they go onto our property to graze since it's the only cleared property in the area. We'd planned to put cattle out there in the next few weeks so we wouldn't run out of hay but the deer have grazed the area so I suspect we'll be hauling hay out there to them because the grass won't be able to keep up. DS said he counted 25 deer out there last night.

Bonnie, I hope your sermon went well. Since MIL has been home I haven't been able to make church because someone needs to be around the house and my SIL doesn't normally get out here until later on Sunday. Can't blame her for that as she's been doing 95% of MIL's care. It's the least I can do.

Better get back to tax figures. I need to at least have something to show for today when hubbie gets home!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning! Well..its back to cold again today...and snow flurries. As long as they stay flurries...ok.
Janet...on the glads...how deep is deep?? I could try the south side of my house?
Ric..happy birthday ...again...lol!!
Celene...tell me more about those green glads plz? Do they have a name? Or just your everyday ordinary glad? Would you believe...I've never grown glads..other than the Atom? I would like to...but just thought they would be something else i had to dig in the fall i guess. I carried white glads in my wedding bouquet. For those of you who would know...Knollwood nursery in Beavercreek did my bouquet...almost 53 yrs ago...They were just starting out...a very small place...and how they have grown!!!! They have a very thriving business now!
A little nostalgia...lol! Lordy...I sound like an "old person"!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaa...!
Ok...time to get movin here...things to do...! Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Columbus, OH

I have no clue about the green glads. I bought them at Anderson's, they're no special variety.

Well it was nursing home day today and when I finished there, went to Louisville, checked out the new store Ross is the name. Sort of reminds me of TJ Maxx, then on to Sam's. Got home about 2:00 and there was another dog fight, so DH is out fixing a kennel for one of the offenders. Had a doozy of a fight this morning too. New dog, and they are trying to establish Alpha status, but it was bad enough we don't want to see any more of the fighting.

Seems there is no problem except when I come into the picture, guess jealousy plays a role in it too.

Celene any tips on what to do after the forced separation for a few days?

Janet looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Columbus, OH

I would be happy to help you with it, but it's pretty long and complex. Should we start a different discussion, or move it to dmail?

The new dog, Johnjohn is only here temporarily. He will return to the farm when the house is renovated and the DN moves in. So we are guessing about 6 weeks or so. Do you think it necessary to do anything since it is going to be a short term stay?

We plan to keep them apart, and the one who stays in the kennel today will be rotated and the other in the kennel the next day.

Columbus, OH

I think environmental management for such a short period is a good idea. I would also suggest Comfort Zone or DAP (they're the same thing) collars. Can you get Anxitane, it's an OTC herbal supplement? That could help as well.

Thanks Celene, I will look for the products. Apart there is no problem, together is like waiting for an explosion.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone...Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!
Have my corned beef, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage in the slow cooker. Hope it gets done in time for supper...lol!
I had my gkids overnight...they are still in bed! That's because they stayed up half the night!
I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Columbus, OH

I am going to pull out my corned beef as well, and have rumbledethump and Irish soda bread.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Vegetarian Corned Beef?

I have no clue what Celene is cooking, never heard of rumbledethump. May have to google that for a definition!

Columbus, OH

It is sauteed cabbage and leeks, mixed with mashed potato, smooshed into a casserole and topped with cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese gets melty and the top is lightly browned. I like it a lot better than boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots, which I loathe.

Thanks celene, google had already helped me find the definition! I think I could go for that.

Columbus, OH

I don't think there is vegetarian corned beef, I had a zucchini patty. For today only, it's a zucchini "Paddy".

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ohhh Celene..I've made rumbledethump before...it is very good!!
My corned beef was good too! We even had leftovers last night! It's not something I could eat every day..but it was good!
Well the weatherman says two more weeks of cold weather here...grrrrrrrr! I am soooo sick of it!!
I NEED to get outside and work!!!!

Today here looked pretty, but very chilly. We had brilliant sunshine but with a breeze that was brisk. They are talking our next 7 days at least below normal temps. Well all I can say, I am sick of winter, but sping isn't as far away as it has been.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I woke up to snow covered ground again!!!! YUK!!!
Not a lot..but just enough to make things white again.
Had to go buy a new washer n dryer last night...that I hadnt planned for!
Had our repairman come for the dryer yesterday, and by the time he told us what all needed repaired on it...we decided it was time to get a new one instead. Since both the washer and dryer were 18 yrs old...we decided to get both and get it overwith. Hopefully, this will be the last new ones we ever have to buy.
I had heard about the new top loaders; my sister in law has one...and doesnt like it. Repair guy said DONT...also. What I didnt know was most now do not have an agitator in them. They flip the clothes around by paddles that move the tub around different directions.
There are some that still are making them with the agitators, but all are beginning to phase them out. Geez..why don't they ask the women who use them?????? Anyway..to make a long story short, I bought a Maytag WITH an agitator. My old set were Maytag, and even though Whirlpool bought them out, according to our repair guy, they still use Maytag parts in them. In other words, he cant repair a Maytag with Whirlpool parts.
I loved my Maytag...so decided to stick with them.
Now the challenge is to clean where they set before they are delivered on Saturday morning!!! My utililty room is super small! Like about 4x5!
Both will have to be moved out to clean. And that means disconnecting hoses and vents. I am hoping they will give me the chance to do it , when they take the old ones out. I'll have to be quick for sure!!!!
Wish me luck!!!

Marcy, don't worry about the dust behind them. I am sure that they see much worse than yours. We all are embarrased by it, but hey, I have had repairmen tell me that compared to other places, mine is squeaky clean. One told me about roaches, and rats in the house. Yuk, I think I would rather live in a barn.

It snowed here early this morning, just enough to let me know that it ain't spring yet!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Marcy, I'm so glad you didn't opt for the front loader washer. When mine went out, they were 20 yrs old and were maytag. We don't have a maytag dealer locally anymore, so I went with whirlpool. Dave wanted me to get the very best, bless his heart. We got the set with pedestal drawers under them. Front loader for large loads( even though there's just the two of us). We have hated them since we got them! The delivery men leveled them and anchored them to the floor when they installed them. The anchors tore out of the floor about the second time I used them. There is no way of balancing a heavy load. Gravity sorta puts all the clothes together in a heap and they vibrate and sound like a plane taking off in my utility room. We called and asked about getting them anchored better and their reply was, no, that's the best we can do. Everyone complains about the vibrations. The washer seems to wash the clothes okay, but sound is horrendous!

And , yes, I had to really hurry to clean under and behind the old ones while they were uncrating the new ones. It really made me feel like a slacker at housekeeping, but then again, I do fit that profile.LOL

I'm so ready to get out and work in the garden. LaST Saturday morning I worked and cleaned up a couple of spots and it was good medicine for my mental health. I do get depressed in winter , I think from lack of vitamin D Sunshine. The tablets just aren't the same .

Stay warm everyone,. It was a whopping 13 degrees this morning and snowing. UGH!

Lurker Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey folks! Yeah, Lou, I ended up with the front loading washer & dryer on the pedestals, and it does sound like a tornado and an earthquake have hit at the same time when the thing spins.I do like some things about them, and I'm trying to talk my sister into taking them off the pedestals. I think that contributes a lot to the house shaking. Kind of like parking an elephant in a treetop and then seeing what happens when the wind blows.
Marcy, I bet if you make some mouth watering snack, you can get the delivery guys to wait up for 10 minutes while you clean up the laundry room. Not one of those things where you can slide the furniture around to clean it.
The weather lady informed us today that last year on this date we had a record high of 83, just 50 degrees warmer than today! Yikes. I picked the wrong year to get a pool.
Pat

Columbus, OH

Grilling veg for baked veggie chimichangas with black beans and quinoa pilaf and a salad.

Oh, and I wrote a brain-damagingly long article on pet poisoning today, lol.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 8:19 PM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, ORVers, It's been a while but I've been lurking--Missed you all! Hope your gardens are waking up and you are readying for a beautiful springtime.

Cute little grand baby, Lou! And lucky you to spend two months in Florida.

Robyn (Ric's Robyn) has been over for the past couple of days to help with winter clean up in the garden and to uncover the leafy mulch from our buried purple crocus and 'February Gold' daffs all in bloom now. A few of the bulbs escaped the squirrels, rabbits and voles and it's so nice to have color out there on these grey grey days. Robyn has been a blessing and has done wonders for our garden--as for me I've been very lazy gardenwise.

But Robyn got me going on garden ideas and I had to check in here to see what's going on and if anyone has started seeds, etc. etc. I stopped at Home Depot and bought radish, parsley, lettuce--I have big ideas--now let's watch and see how much we get done!?

I saw that Lou and Marcy bought washers & Dryers and we did too. I was totally confounded by all the choices and prices (OMG!) and it was hard to choose. We finally bought Maytag top loading on sale at Home Depot in a nice bronze color. (We just couldn't bite on the modern front loaders price tags.) They are actually working pretty well and the washer uses just a small amount of water and is plenty big for us. As for cleaning underneath, I won't even go into that! We have had them for a few months and so far they have been working very well. I can't believe how efficient they are compared to my 11 year old Whirlpool set.

Loved the pics of Taynors' garden--especially the St. Patrick's Day effects. Very festive.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Round Up. Is it Memorial Day weekend?

hugs, J.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody, I'm new here on Daves. I was reading about the round up and would love to come. I'm 41 and married with a seven year old son. I live between Cincinnati and Dayton. I am somewhat of a novice as I have only been growing flowers since 2009. I have grown to love daylilies and many others. I have learned so much from the great people on this forum. I would love to meet some local gardeners. The lady who got me into gardening passed away in 2011. I have been on my own ever since. My husband and son are not really into flowers.( i'm working on my son and hope to some day give him the flower bug someday)
Would love to join your Round up and meet alot of you!
Hope everbody has a great day!

Hi taylordaylily. I am a Kentuckian, but gardening has no boundaries as I am sure you are learning here at Daves.

Don't know if a thread has been put up about the Roundup, but there will be several where you sign up, indicate what type of food you will bring to the potluck meal, and then another to list the plants you have to swap, and who has something that you are interested in.

I have lots of daylilies and would be happy to share if you have any particular ones you are interested in.

Keep watching here, and join in the conversations, it is a great way to get to know the Ohio Valley folks.

Columbus, OH

The roundups are great fun! My non-gardening husband even has fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.