"Other" pet thread ( no dog or cats )

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Anyone have more exotic pets? I know lots about reptiles, amphibians, fish, and insects/spiders.

Lyndonville, NY

No Keith, I have a beta fish, a rabbit (Jersey Wooley) two cockatiels, and numerous cats, 1 dog.

Have had pet rats & ferret in the past but no more. Someone might be along that does, I can't remember who has the
large spider and another a pet snake.

Melva has Graham the turtle.

Debbie

Betta fish, cockatiels, and rabbits count :)

I know most about Betta fish I had mine in a 5 gallon aquarium he was so happy and lived for 6 years before dying of old age. You might be tempted to visit this Betta forum, photos of gorgeous bettas and all info about bettas you'll ever need to know. I had a Veiltail in the past I raised from a young Betta. http://z14.invisionfree.com/ultimatebettas/index.php?act=idx

Lyndonville, NY

Thank you, I will have a look at that! Our longest living Beta was probably about 5 or 6 also. My daughters college pet we transported for years.
My current one, Mambo #5 (song that was playing), was a wedding center piece that I saved from a doomed life in a beer stein! He is rather large and a pretty purple/blue mix.

The Professor aka Spencer, my Jersey wooley just turned a year old. He is not litter training as easy as our previous bunny. Our previous bunny, Ben, lived to 15 years of age, and the house seemed so empty without him. SO, I made the mistake of picking up a baby at the pet shop and holding it....then it came time to put him back. Case closed!!!

The cockatiels, well Sidney belonged to my Mother, and when she passed he came to live with me. He is about 12, we aren't sure, as he was left on the steps
of a pet shot because he was "too noisy". He hadn't been quarantined and they couldn't bring him in with others...so let me have him. He is a georgous yellow with touches of gray. Then, there is Boomer. I have had him since he was two weeks old. Hand fed him and he was great til he went through his first molt and became a plucker! He is pretty much bald, only has feathers on his wings and his tail. He has to be at least 15 now.

So what critters do you have?

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy

Very cute!

Currently I have 2 cats, a firebelly newt, and hissing cockroaches.

My past pets were: green anoles, hermit crabs, goldfish, tropical fish, bettas, dwarf clawed frogs, bullfrog, leopard frog, salamander, American toad, and various wild insects.

Lyndonville, NY

We did the hermit crabs! Oh I have a story for you, what a life learning experience that was!

My daughter had office frogs that lived about 4 years, I forgot the name of them, but you couldn't change their water but once a year
for it was a special little habitat.

I lived in Wash. DC for some time, so I will pass on the cockroaches!

I know the kit, clawed frogs that's how I got mine.

Unfortunetly that's actually a very inhumane they are tropical and need an aquarium with heated, filtered water. They only give pellets but they need frozen and live foods too. A 10-20 gallon planted aquarium with underwater caves it what they need to live in.

I know more about animals more than pet store workers here lol

Lyndonville, NY

Yes, that is what my daughter did. Transferred them over and got the frozen and live foods. However came in one morning to find "frog A" devouring "frog B".
They then got a glass wall down the middle of their tank.

Yeah if one is smaller its larger tank mate might eat it best to keep them seperate unless they are same size.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.